Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 08-02-2012, 8:07 AM

Default Angeles Shooting Range Incident.

Hey everybody. I went to Angeles Shooting range yesterday with some friends. We were shooting my friend and mines AK47 in the rifle section. Everything was going great. We were showing my two other friends how to properly and safely fire the rifles. About 3 mags later we hear the range officer say cease fire there is wild life on the range.

Our first instincts was to use my spotting scope to look for this wild life. Upon searching I found a deer laying on the ground. It apparently had been shot and was bleeding out on the ground. Keep in mind this deer was at least 400+ yards out relatively close to targets. Whomever shot this deer must have had an incredibly accurate rifle. My logic is that this deer was shot on purpose as it was too far away to be "accidentally" hit.

The interesting and gruesome part happened next. As we were watching this deer fight to survive, low and behold a coyote shows up. This coyote must have been tracking the deer as it arrived with little delay. It began feasting on the deer with ferocity. The poor deer was still moving its head while the coyote was filling its belly. I managed to record a video and take pictures of this whole incident through my spotting scope.

By the way, I am in no way condoning the shooting of this deer. The penalties of doing such include a whopping 10k fine, loss of guns(felony status) and possible jail time. I'm not an animal rights activist but was offended by illegality of the kill although the coyote sure enjoyed the meal.

Edit - I took the video down because I believe those truly interested have already seen it. Since enough people have read this article i feel the video can now only fall into the wrong hands and make us look bad. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by Battleicious; 08-03-2012 at 7:20 AM..
Old 08-02-2012, 8:14 AM
Calguns Addict

was this Deer deaf?

Not trying to be funny really but yeah..if it was shot on purpose thats just wrong

Old 08-02-2012, 8:24 AM

Apparently all the deer in this forest are deaf. There were 3 other instances in the same day of deer just walking onto the range starring at us and just moving along. It was the most peculiar thing, especially watching the range workers running around trying to herd the deer to safety.
Old 08-02-2012, 8:45 AM

I was at Circle S in Petaluma over father's day, and just a few seconds after a cease fire was called a very young deer walked out not more than 10 yards from the firing line and pranced across the range. The RO said "Okay nobody shoot Bambi!"
Old 08-02-2012, 8:54 AM
Calguns Addict

My opinion is the deer is used to gunfire. Deer routinely walk around the rifle side all the time from what I've seen.

Did they manage to find out who shot the deer? That's F'ed up.
Old 08-02-2012, 8:56 AM

I was at Angeles also yesterday when that happened. I left around 7 p.m. and i heard the R.O. announce another cease fire due to wildlife on the pistol/rifle side. Was it another deer?
Old 08-02-2012, 9:04 AM

Deer are common on Angeles Range. I see a lot of deer at the Oaktree too.

I wouldn't say the deer was shot intentionally for sure, just because it was 400yds out. It is very easy not to see the deer. And many shooters fling lead and don't really know where they are impacting. That is common enough.
Old 08-02-2012, 9:07 AM

-Yes there were two deer that walked on the small hill near the 100 yard metal targets. It happened a few times actually.
-I do not believe the caught the person who did it. They cleared everyone out relatively quickly. Unless the guy who did it fessed up then there is no way to prove it without a camera surveillance system. I hope that it was an accident though.

Last edited by Battleicious; 08-02-2012 at 9:13 AM..
Old 08-02-2012, 9:30 AM

Can you post a link to the vid please?
Old 08-02-2012, 9:46 AM

Ya, I am uploading the video. Ill post it when it finishes.

I didn't want to upload it to youtube because that's all we need right now is some hippies crying foul over an incident like this. Here it is.

http://tinypic.com/r/2iasb2x/6

Last edited by Battleicious; 08-02-2012 at 9:52 AM..
Old 08-02-2012, 9:51 AM

When I was at Fort Lewis, deer routinely grazed and wandered through the live-fire ranges. Now, I shoot at Sac Valley and see cows strolling through the ranges. They, like the deer, have become insensitive to gunfire. Learned response.

Walnut media for bright brass
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=621214
Old 08-02-2012, 9:52 AM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Yikes, 400 yds out, seems intentional, people shooting that distance are precision practitioners.

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 08-02-2012, 9:56 AM
Veteran Member

Some people have no respect for anything. If that was on purpose that is wrong, to cause suffering for fun, not take a reasonable shot for hunting. One of the ranges I shoot at has deer walk accross the lanes all the time, but as far as I know no one has done anything like that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Si vis pacem, para bellum

╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.
Old 08-02-2012, 9:59 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Stupid question.... how do you know the deer was shot?

Seems coincidental to me that a Coyote would be so near a deer that happened to get shot.

Perhaps the Coyote injured it and it happened to go down on the range??

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Calguns Addict

i think someone took a shot!!! 400 is nothing even for a 556...

that sucks!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 10:13 AM

Well It makes sense that it was shot. I saw the deer stumbling then a few minutes later it was on the ground. Everyone at the range had no doubt that it was shot as well. The coyote must have been following it and saw its untimely demise. It was about 5 minutes before the coyote got there.

The only way to know for sure is to ask the range officer who went down range to investigate. I did not get to ask him. Also, the rifle range was closed for the remainder of the day, which kinda indicates foul play.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleicious View Post
Well It makes sense that it was shot. I saw the deer stumbling then a few minutes later it was on the ground. Everyone at the range had no doubt that it was shot as well. The coyote must have been following it and saw its untimely demise. It was about 5 minutes before the coyote got there.

The only way to know for sure is to ask the range officer who went down range to investigate. I did not get to ask him. Also, the rifle range was closed for the remainder of the day, which kinda indicates foul play.
could also indicate an unplanned company BBQ

Old 08-02-2012, 10:23 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter32 View Post
When I was at Fort Lewis, deer routinely grazed and wandered through the live-fire ranges.
Up there, I had an amazing talent for discovering ant piles during night LFXes.

Reloading Clubs: SF, East Bay

Case Status: Peña v. Cid (Handgun Roster). SF v. 44Mag (Mag Parts Kits). Bauer v. Harris (DROS Fees). Davis v. LA (CCW policy). Jackson v. SF (Ammo/Storage). Teixeira (FFL Zoning). First Unitarian v. NSA (Privacy). Silvester (Waiting Period). Schoepf (DROS Delay). Haynie (AW ban). SFVPOA v. SF (10+ mag possession ban). Bear in Public: Drake (3CA); Moore (7CA); Richards, Peruta, McKay (9CA).
Old 08-02-2012, 10:34 AM

with all those rounds going downrange i'm pretty sure it was not intentional.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 AM

I was there yesterday as well. Middle finger goes out to the poacher. I hope somebody takes u out. Drove far just to get booted off the range cuz of the dumb *****. Dude left of me said it came into his line of sight at 400 to 500 yards. I think he shot the deer cuz he had a look of guilt on his face. The one dude is correct. 400 is easy with 223 but it was no 223 that took it down. It was a 308. Thats what the dude the left of me was shooting. I hope u get what u deserve.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:26 AM

It was intentional 100% when you aim at it and fire. There were only like 10 guys at the rifle range and several of them were shooting 308 bolt action with high power scopes. It was completely intentional cuz guys at the far left near the shotgun area were shooting at it too. Can we just stop selling guns to morons before they ruin it for the rest of us?
Old 08-02-2012, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter76 View Post
I was there yesterday as well. Middle finger goes out to the poacher. I hope somebody takes u out. Drove far just to get booted off the range cuz of the dumb *****. Dude left of me said it came into his line of sight at 400 to 500 yards. I think he shot the deer cuz he had a look of guilt on his face. The one dude is correct. 400 is easy with 223 but it was no 223 that took it down. It was a 308. Thats what the dude the left of me was shooting. I hope u get what u deserve.
Quote:
It was intentional 100% when you aim at it and fire. There were only like 10 guys at the rifle range and several of them were shooting 308 bolt action with high power scopes. It was completely intentional cuz guys at the far left near the shotgun area were shooting at it too. Can we just stop selling guns to morons before they ruin it for the rest of us?
You should have reported the guy to the RO.
Old 08-02-2012, 2:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunninIt View Post
You should have reported the guy to the RO.
That's quite a serious accusation though just based off of a "guilty face."
Old 08-02-2012, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
That's quite a serious accusation though just based off of a "guilty face."
Guy says the deer came into his line of site. Has a high powered rifle. Has a high powered scope. Doesn't mean he's guilty, for sure, but it's sure worth asking some questions.
Old 08-02-2012, 5:23 PM

Quote:
..... Can we just stop selling guns to morons before they ruin it for the rest of us?
+1
amen brother.
Old 08-02-2012, 6:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Years ago- maybe 1987-88- at the coyote range in South San Jose/ Morgan Hill some jack hole shot a cow. The range called the PD who collected all firearms at the range as evidence for ballistic testing

I am surprised that similar crap/ evidence collecting did not happen at the Angeles range

I hope no one at the range would poach a deer
Old 08-02-2012, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleicious View Post
Hey everybody. I went to Angeles Shooting range yesterday with some friends. We were shooting my friend and mines AK47 in the rifle section. Everything was going great. We were showing my two other friends how to properly and safely fire the rifles. About 3 mags later we hear the range officer say cease fire there is wild life on the range.

Our first instincts was to use my spotting scope to look for this wild life. Upon searching I found a deer laying on the ground. It apparently had been shot and was bleeding out on the ground. Keep in mind this deer was at least 400+ yards out relatively close to targets. Whomever shot this deer must have had an incredibly accurate rifle. My logic is that this deer was shot on purpose as it was too far away to be "accidentally" hit.

The interesting and gruesome part happened next. As we were watching this deer fight to survive, low and behold a coyote shows up. This coyote must have been tracking the deer as it arrived with little delay. It began feasting on the deer with ferocity. The poor deer was still moving its head while the coyote was filling its belly. I managed to record a video and take pictures of this whole incident through my spotting scope.

By the way, I am in no way condoning the shooting of this deer. The penalties of doing such include a whopping 10k fine, loss of guns(felony status) and possible jail time. I'm not an animal rights activist but was offended by illegality of the kill although the coyote sure enjoyed the meal.

Edit - In case anyone wants to see a video here it is. - http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2iasb2x&s=6
Battleicious,

From your video it's a 50/50 chance it was shot deliberately. Remember during live fire round continue to keep going so anythings possible in my mind. The other side is since it's at the 400 yard mark perhaps a hunting/bolt rifle with scope could have done that too.

Anyway animals are forbiden to be shot on national forest land but in this case accidents do happen. As for the coyote I hate to see life eaten like that but in life that's the way it is.

Mail Clerk

Last edited by Mail Clerk; 08-13-2012 at 6:36 PM..
Old 08-02-2012, 7:16 PM
CGN Contributor

I really wish it would have been possible for someone to shoot the thing in the head rather than let it get eaten alive. That's just cruel. If it's in nature, well, you can't do anything about it, but someone shot it. *shrug*

Bet you'll have this day as a story for years to come, at least.
Old 08-02-2012, 8:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRaven View Post
I really wish it would have been possible for someone to shoot the thing in the head rather than let it get eaten alive. That's just cruel. If it's in nature, well, you can't do anything about it, but someone shot it. *shrug*

Bet you'll have this day as a story for years to come, at least.
Whats the difference between being wounded by a bullet then eaten alive or being taken down by a coyote wounded and eaten alive? One doesn't seem any more cruel than the other.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:16 PM

This type thing can be looked at both ways.. for me, -- if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand -- seems appropriate here. Sorta like throwing garbage on the floor at work and telling yourself the janitor will pick it up. A-way, B-way. This is the sorta thing that CA anti-gun people eat up.. too many knuckleheads

Last edited by 3puttBogey; 08-02-2012 at 10:38 PM..
Old 08-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangzoom View Post
was this Deer deaf?

Not trying to be funny really but yeah..if it was shot on purpose thats just wrong
At Chabot, up here in Nor-Cal, wildlife wanders onto the range quite frequently. Lots of deer and turkeys. They get used to the sound and since they're not hunted in that area, they don't associate the gunfire with danger. Dumb creatures really. Tasty... But dumb.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:26 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3puttBogey View Post
This type thing can be looked at both ways.. for me, -- if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand --

Yeah, pretty much sums it up for me.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:45 PM

ive seen deer at angeles a number of times. stupid animals walk right across the back berm.

but one being hit is either an intentional shot or better odds than the Mega Millions. i would vote for the former.

whoever fired that shot is a POS and should have been confronted, if not you then by the RO, if not fish and game. that is not cool for any of us.

you should really take the video down off this site too because you know the media trolls are on here and would love to use the footage because theyre too lazy to go out and report on real news.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:51 AM

I was there yesterday when this took place. I was on the pistol side when I heard the ROs say that a coyote had come into the rifle range. I took my 12 power nikon binoculars and took a look for myself and I could see what looked like a deer being eaten by a coyote. I asked one of the RO what happened and they played dumb and said they did not know. I was leaving for the day and did not stick around to find out. All I can say is that I hope the meat was not wasted.

Last edited by mausercat; 08-03-2012 at 8:49 AM..
Old 08-03-2012, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Hated View Post
ive seen deer at angeles a number of times.

you should really take the video down off this site too because you know the media trolls are on here and would love to use the footage because theyre too lazy to go out and report on real news.
I took the video down because I believe those truly interested have already seen it. Since enough people have read this article i feel the video can now only fall into the wrong hands and make us look bad. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-10-2012, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1driver View Post
with all those rounds going downrange i'm pretty sure it was not intentional.
Uprange is a better word. At Angeles you are shooting up a hill. If you are shooting at 100 or 200 yards, your bullets are not going to hit the 400 yard line unless you are shooting wild. With only a dozen or so people on the firing line, most of them shooting at 100 or 200 yards, an accidental hit on a target a couple hundred yards up the hill is incredibly unlikely.

If you are shooting at 400 yards, with a scope, you know exactly what you are shooting at.
Old 08-10-2012, 8:50 PM

So... He laid there suffering because some a hole decided to be "cool".

Would the RSO got into trouble if he went out there and put it out? Not trying to be an animal lover but I mean dang.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:18 PM

My understanding is that deer are well versed as to various hunting seasons, boundaries to territories where hunting is allowed, etc. It seems they need to get the memo about shooting ranges as well.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member

Why did they close down the range?

The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.
Old 08-11-2012, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
Why did they close down the range?
Because the RSOs had to go out and clean up the mess.