Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 08-22-2009, 3:55 PM

Default DROS worksheet?

Is it required to fill out a DROS worksheet for every transfer, if the DROS is done on the computer while the customer is present and the thumbprint is put on the back of the actual DROS printout?
Old 08-22-2009, 6:31 PM
Veteran Member

If the transfers are done seperate, yes, a DROS is needed for every transfer BUT, you can do multiple guns on one DROS at one time at the same delaer, only. Different dealer, different DROS, even if it is on the same day.
I understand, once a DROS is started, you cannot increase the number of weapons on it, but you CAN decrease the number of weapons on it. Now, why you would do that, I dunno, unless you run out of money for your guns.
Camp Pendelton, CA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Battalion_9th_Marines
Old 08-23-2009, 7:23 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledman View Post
If the transfers are done seperate, yes, a DROS is needed for every transfer BUT, you can do multiple guns on one DROS at one time at the same delaer, only. Different dealer, different DROS, even if it is on the same day.
I understand, once a DROS is started, you cannot increase the number of weapons on it, but you CAN decrease the number of weapons on it. Now, why you would do that, I dunno, unless you run out of money for your guns.
I think you missed the question ledman as your answer is kind of off topic.

The question is do you need to fill out hard copy DROS worksheet in addition to completing DROS on the computer. NO!

The DROS worksheet is for when you do not have computer access due to technical or physical location limitations. So if I am at a gun show, I have the customer fill out the DROS worksheet. When I get back to the shop, I submit the DROS from the data on the DROS worksheet. When the customer comes to pick up, we sign and complete the computerized DROS and I attach the DROS worksheet to the computerized DROS.

If the Internet is down at my shop and a customer wants to start a DROS, we complete a DROS worksheet. When the Internet comes back up, I start the DROS and the same rules apply for the gun show example above.
Old 08-23-2009, 7:35 AM

It may not be required, but it may be easier for some dealers to read off the worksheet while inputting the data for the online DROS processing. Some dealers may simply prefer this method over asking you the questions one at a time as he/she taps the keyboard.
Old 08-23-2009, 8:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I don't personally see how it would be easier to use the DROS worksheet and then enter the answers into the computer. It is easy enough to read the questions from the computer screen. I think that there is less chance of an error for entering it directly into the computer and it does not waste additional paper.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 08-23-2009, 8:20 AM

You may be right. Save a tree...

Just for me, it is easier to read and type esp. if there is more than one transaction going one. I can pace myself. Personal pref I suppose. I've been an FFL since 1985 so I've been used to paper processing longer than computer processing. Geezer thing?

Last edited by eltee; 08-23-2009 at 8:33 AM..
Old 08-23-2009, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

my bad, I wll shut up now, sorry.
Camp Pendelton, CA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Battalion_9th_Marines
Old 08-23-2009, 5:25 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltee View Post
It may not be required, but it may be easier for some dealers to read off the worksheet while inputting the data for the online DROS processing. Some dealers may simply prefer this method over asking you the questions one at a time as he/she taps the keyboard.
I know of another dealer who does this. Better you than me.
Old 08-23-2009, 5:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have used computers for far too long and for many reasons I do things on paper instead of on the computer (like the bound book). The DROS is easier on the computer though, no longer having to go mail the forms each day. I also don't want to do data entry from a form :-). I tried the e4473 and I don't like that at all. There are good aspects to it, but overall it is a waste of time.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 08-23-2009, 8:18 PM

Thank you all for your input, was a great help. I too would much rather do a direct data input rather than having the customer fill out yet another form.
Old 09-01-2015, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
I think you missed the question ledman as your answer is kind of off topic.

The question is do you need to fill out hard copy DROS worksheet in addition to completing DROS on the computer. NO!

The DROS worksheet is for when you do not have computer access due to technical or physical location limitations. So if I am at a gun show, I have the customer fill out the DROS worksheet. When I get back to the shop, I submit the DROS from the data on the DROS worksheet. When the customer comes to pick up, we sign and complete the computerized DROS and I attach the DROS worksheet to the computerized DROS.

If the Internet is down at my shop and a customer wants to start a DROS, we complete a DROS worksheet. When the Internet comes back up, I start the DROS and the same rules apply for the gun show example above.
What makes it different from filling out dros worksheet than a 4473 file at a gun show?
Old 09-01-2015, 6:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltee View Post
Only 4 questions needs to be asked. Swip drivers license and BAM! Heaven gates open and the holy fields will autofill with data needed.

Ask 4 questions required and boom, done. Takes about 45 seconds to enter all the info on the DES system.

**EDIT,

Just realized this thread was from 2009. My bad.