Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-06-2013, 8:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Question thread/sticky w/info on ALL new gun control laws & dates to take effect?

Title pretty much says it all.

A friend was asking about the anti laws about to take effect. I told him registration of long gun sales take place after 2014 Jan 01, but wasn't sure about the other stuff.

I looked at the CGF Wiki, but didn't notice anything other than a sentence under, IIRC, "Recent Legislation" that said a bunch of bills were on the governor's desk and the Wiki entries will be updated as things get signed. Since that is MONTHS out of date, I don't feel confident directing them there.

I thought there was a sticky at the top of either the Litigation or the CA 2nd A Political forums, but didn't see a title that seemed on point.

Were all the changes and their effective dates ever complied?

Last edited by Paladin; 12-06-2013 at 8:19 PM..
Old 12-06-2013, 8:46 PM

Yeah I second this. It would be nice to be up to date on all the new laws that will be taking affect soon so I won't be turned into a criminal.
Old 12-06-2013, 9:00 PM
Calguns Addict

that would be nice if someone has the info.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Here, let me Google that for you ...

No, no, that would be cruel.

Here's a sticky on the long gun registration. There is already released new DROS software that accommodates recording and submitting long gun info, going into use in Jan 2014

Here is the FPC page with the 'scorecard'.

AB 48 - on 'magazine conversion kits', is a continuing rat's nest and no one quite knows what it means. Most conservatively, it says magazine rebuild kits are illegal to acquire on 1 Jan 2014; continuing ownership is not addressed, so it is not illegal. 'Buying a large-capacity magazine' was added as an illegal activity - it had been left out in the first pass.

(Please note that this bill has language in Section 1.5 that bans large-capacity magazines. THAT WILL NOT TAKE EFFECT - it was conditional on SB 396 becoming law, but that failed on the Assembly floor.)

AB 231 - There's a new misdemeanor crime, 'criminal storage of a firearm in the third degree'
Quote:
(c) Except as provided in Section 25105, a person commits the crime of “criminal storage of a firearm in the third degree” if the person keeps any loaded firearm within any premises that are under the person’s custody or control and negligently stores or leaves a loaded firearm in a location where the person knows, or reasonably should know, that a child is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the child’s parent or legal guardian, unless reasonable action is taken by the person to secure the firearm against access by the child.
AB 500 - screws with the FFL's releasing of a firearm after the 10-day wait. Again, we don't quite know what that means - an argument thread is running about that.

It also requires FFLs to notify DOJ when a gun has been picked up, and prohibits
" a person

who is residing with someone who is prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm

from keeping a firearm at that residence unless the firearm is either kept within a locked container, locked gun safe, locked trunk, locked with a locking device, disabled by a firearm safety device, or carried on the person. "
AB 711 - "This bill would instead require, as soon as is practicable, but by no later than July 1, 2019, the use of nonlead ammunition for the taking of all wildlife..."

AB 1131 - Existing law prohibits a person from possessing a firearm or deadly weapon for a period of 6 months whenever he or she communicates to a licensed psychotherapist a serious threat of physical violence against a reasonably identifiable victim or victims.

This bill would increase the prohibitory period from 6 months to 5 years.

AB 683 - creates the 'Firearms Safety Certificate', effective Jan 1 2015; replaces the Handgun Safety Certificate, and is required for gun purchases NOT OWNERSHIP OR POSSESSION. A valid HSC will still be good for buying handguns in 2015, but when it expires, need the FSC.

ETA Here's Chuck Michel's summary - http://www.calgunlaws.com/2013-calif...ession-report/

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 12-07-2013 at 12:37 AM..
Old 12-06-2013, 11:08 PM
AKA: Joe Censored

Along with long gun registration, we also see the end of C&R face to face non-papered, non-background checked transfers.
Old 12-08-2013, 7:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Thx Lib.

By all of the links you needed to provide, I guess there wasn't a single post stickied w/this important information before.

Last edited by Paladin; 12-08-2013 at 10:30 PM..
Old 12-08-2013, 4:54 PM

Smile

Thanks, Librarian!

Re: C & R Licensees. Is there any point in having a C & R in CA, anymore? I was thinking of applying for one, but it looks like everything is going thru an 01 now, due to the registration requirement.
Old 12-08-2013, 5:34 PM

By all of the links you needed to provide, I guess there wasn't a single post stickied w/this importation information before.
Old 12-08-2013, 6:42 PM

The ban on 80% lowers is the only thing I can think of that Librarian forgot. It was just a short bit buried in one of the other things passed. It wasn't completely clear, but just defined something readily convertible to a finished receiver as a firearm. I guess you can still make a receiver entirely from scratch though.

It might also not be obvious that the secure storage requirements appear to have the side effect (or hidden intentional effect) that it is now illegal to let minors shoot your guns without their parent's permission.
Old 12-08-2013, 7:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBuilder View Post
The ban on 80% lowers is the only thing I can think of that Librarian forgot.
Would you please chase that down? I don't recall that.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 12-08-2013, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Would you please chase that down? I don't recall that.
always a paragon of civility.
“Keep it up, America, keep telling your youth that mud and danger are fit only for intellectual pigs. Keep on saying that only the stupid are fit to sacrifice, that America must be defended by the low-brow and enjoyed by the high-brow. Keep vaunting head over heart, and soon the head will arrive at the complete folly of any kind of fight and meekly surrender the treasure to the first bandit with enough heart to demand it.” (Robert Leckie)
Old 12-08-2013, 9:59 PM
Veteran Member

Try this;

http://nramemberscouncils.com/caspecial/2013gov.shtml

Librarian gave a summary of everything that matters.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:38 PM

So is AB 683 military exempt, like the HSC requirement?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hualampeter View Post
Looks that way. There are actually several exemptions, including...

Quote:
SEC. 37.
Section 31700 is added to the Penal Code, to read:

(a) The following persons, properly identified, are exempted from the firearm safety certificate requirement in subdivision (a) of Section 31615:

(10) An active or honorably retired member of the United States Armed Forces, the National Guard, the Air National Guard, or the active reserve components of the United States, where individuals in those organizations are properly identified. For purposes of this section, proper identification includes the Armed Forces Identification Card or other written documentation certifying that the individual is an active or honorably retired member.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

No, no, that would be cruel.

Here's a sticky on the long gun registration. There is already released new DROS software that accommodates recording and submitting long gun info, going into use in Jan 2014

Here is the FPC page with the 'scorecard'.

AB 48 - on 'magazine conversion kits', is a continuing rat's nest and no one quite knows what it means. Most conservatively, it says magazine rebuild kits are illegal to acquire on 1 Jan 2014; continuing ownership is not addressed, so it is not illegal. 'Buying a large-capacity magazine' was added as an illegal activity - it had been left out in the first pass.

(Please note that this bill has language in Section 1.5 that bans large-capacity magazines. THAT WILL NOT TAKE EFFECT - it was conditional on SB 396 becoming law, but that failed on the Assembly floor.)

AB 231 - There's a new misdemeanor crime, 'criminal storage of a firearm in the third degree'

AB 500 - screws with the FFL's releasing of a firearm after the 10-day wait. Again, we don't quite know what that means - an argument thread is running about that.

It also requires FFLs to notify DOJ when a gun has been picked up, and prohibits
" a person

who is residing with someone who is prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm

from keeping a firearm at that residence unless the firearm is either kept within a locked container, locked gun safe, locked trunk, locked with a locking device, disabled by a firearm safety device, or carried on the person. "
AB 711 - "This bill would instead require, as soon as is practicable, but by no later than July 1, 2019, the use of nonlead ammunition for the taking of all wildlife..."

AB 1131 - Existing law prohibits a person from possessing a firearm or deadly weapon for a period of 6 months whenever he or she communicates to a licensed psychotherapist a serious threat of physical violence against a reasonably identifiable victim or victims.

This bill would increase the prohibitory period from 6 months to 5 years.

AB 683 - creates the 'Firearms Safety Certificate', effective Jan 1 2015; replaces the Handgun Safety Certificate, and is required for gun purchases NOT OWNERSHIP OR POSSESSION. A valid HSC will still be good for buying handguns in 2015, but when it expires, need the FSC.

ETA Here's Chuck Michel's summary - http://www.calgunlaws.com/2013-calif...ession-report/
thx now just make it a sticky
Old 12-09-2013, 12:07 AM

Section 16520(g) in Section 2 and 2.5 of AB500 contains:

"(g) As used in Sections 29010 to 29150, inclusive, “firearm” includes the unfinished frame or receiver of a weapon that can be readily converted to the functional condition of a finished frame or receiver."

I have since seen it written that the feds may not consider 80 percenters as readily converted, but then this is a California law where the California courts, not the federal courts, will have the final say about what "readily converted" means.

Though since Sections 29010 to 29150 seem to apply to licensed manufacturers in California, I'm not sure now that this law will affect private builders, or incomplete lowers shipped in from out of state.
Old 12-09-2013, 2:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBuilder View Post
Section 16520(g) in Section 2 and 2.5 of AB500 contains:

"(g) As used in Sections 29010 to 29150, inclusive, “firearm” includes the unfinished frame or receiver of a weapon that can be readily converted to the functional condition of a finished frame or receiver."

I have since seen it written that the feds may not consider 80 percenters as readily converted, but then this is a California law where the California courts, not the federal courts, will have the final say about what "readily converted" means.

Though since Sections 29010 to 29150 seem to apply to licensed manufacturers in California, I'm not sure now that this law will affect private builders, or incomplete lowers shipped in from out of state.
I think, for now, that bit is indeed restricted to licensed manufacturers. Thanks for finding it.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 12-16-2013, 11:46 AM

In a hypothetical scenario given the increasing prevalence of cameras watching your every move, how long will it be before you get the 3:00 AM visit by armed firearm recovery teams because you violated one of the purported 3 felonies that most people unknowingly commit in one day? Something so innocuous as posting a comment on the Web could land you in legal hot water. Why haven't you gotten out of Commiefornia?
Old 12-16-2013, 3:10 PM
Veteran Member

What's the deal with long gun transportation? Lock in a case or trunk required now?

The Second Amendment is the one right that is so fundamental that the inability to exercise it, should the need arise, would render all other rights null and void. Dead people have no rights.
Magna est veritas et praevalebit
Old 12-16-2013, 3:24 PM
Calguns Addict

What is punishment for failure to comply with self reporting if you move here as there will be tonsbof people who won't even understand this is a law.
Old 12-16-2013, 3:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
What is punishment for failure to comply with self reporting if you move here as there will be tonsbof people who won't even understand this is a law.
It is a misdemeanor - up to a year in county jail.

See the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Mo..._with_firearms

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 12-16-2013, 3:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro Pistolero View Post
What's the deal with long gun transportation? Lock in a case or trunk required now?
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 12-16-2013, 9:16 PM

now that long guns will be registered are they subject to the one in a 30 day calendar and if so can you use a long gun dros to purchase a hand gun on the same sale since they are both now registered
Old 12-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaka View Post
now that long guns will be registered are they subject to the one in a 30 day calendar
No. Not for 2014.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 12-20-2013, 8:57 AM

So I can still complete my 80% lowers? Because I have 3 coming.
Old 12-20-2013, 5:42 PM
Calguns Addict

thanks Librarian!
Old 12-21-2013, 6:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hualampeter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPlinker View Post
Looks that way. There are actually several exemptions, including...

Quote:
SEC. 37.
Section 31700 is added to the Penal Code, to read:

(a) The following persons, properly identified, are exempted from the firearm safety certificate requirement in subdivision (a) of Section 31615:

(10) An active or honorably retired member of the United States Armed Forces, the National Guard, the Air National Guard, or the active reserve components of the United States, where individuals in those organizations are properly identified. For purposes of this section, proper identification includes the Armed Forces Identification Card or other written documentation certifying that the individual is an active or honorably retired member.
I was wondering this myself.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 12-21-2013, 9:19 PM

Concerning AB48, what about taking previously owned kits out of state to use and coming back to the republic?
Old 12-28-2013, 10:09 AM

Are there any changes to what an LEO can & can't do?

I thought I read somewhere that LEO's can't purchase off roster guns without a department letter head.
Old 01-01-2014, 2:59 PM

I was looking for an answer to chip3757's question as well. It would be handy to use assembled rebuild kits there and then return them to kit status before returning home. If they were purchased before Jan 1, 2014 would they be legal to bring back home again?
Old 01-01-2014, 3:59 PM

Do new purchases of black powder long guns need to be registered?

Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States.

Noah Webster, An Examination into the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution, 1787

Last edited by wirenut6; 01-01-2014 at 5:36 PM..
Old 01-01-2014, 4:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip3757 View Post
Concerning AB48, what about taking previously owned kits out of state to use and coming back to the republic?
Good question
Old 01-17-2014, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Can I get ANY parts to repair my existing normal capacity magazines or did it all become illegal?

The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt
Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 PM

As far as the AB683 military exemption goes, am I right in thinking that by retired they also mean honorably discharged but not actually retired?

"We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?"
Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff
during the assault on Grenada, 1983
Old 02-19-2014, 3:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceball View Post
As far as the AB683 military exemption goes, am I right in thinking that by retired they also mean honorably discharged but not actually retired?
Nope. Gotta get in your 20 (or whatever it is these days); simple discharge is not the same.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 02-20-2014, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Nope. Gotta get in your 20 (or whatever it is these days); simple discharge is not the same.
Really? What a crock of sh*t, what should it matter if you're retired or simply discharged, the training is the same. Stupid CA gun laws.

"We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?"
Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff
during the assault on Grenada, 1983
Old 03-04-2014, 8:51 PM

I suspect this is done this way because only a retiree or an active duty individual carries a federally issued ID card. Those who served but never retired merely get a typed document--a DD214. (Those have no photo on them, and can be 'massaged.')

Dan
Retiree, USAF