Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 11-05-2013, 9:20 PM

Default Legal to carry a back up gun?

Someone said they heard you could only carry one gun at a time with your CCW. I never heard that and my attempts to research it haven't turned up any limit of one. Found one thing that said you can't have more than three on your person. y understanding is that if its on your CCW permit.. your good to carry it.. if you have 4 on there.. should be able to carry all four IMO. Can anyone shed some more light on this?
Old 11-05-2013, 9:22 PM

and yes i'm talking about in California.. I know some other states do have a limit of one
Old 11-05-2013, 9:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Have you asked your issuing agency?
Old 11-05-2013, 9:35 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Legally, can carry all the handguns on your license - that is, the law is silent on the number, but whatever number your agency specifies for the license is the max.

Your issuing agency may have an opinion.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:19 PM

No I haven't checked with them.. thought i'd check here first.. and I looked over the CCW permit itself. I highly doubt they would restrict how many you can carry at a time.. when they don't even restrict how many can be on your permit, the old sheriff had a limit of three, the new one doesn't care.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Do the conditions of your CCW say you can carry only one? If it's not a condition you can carry as many listed firearms as you wish.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 11-06-2013, 4:48 AM
Banned

San Bernardino county says only one at a time. Which county are you in? And most agencies will only list 3.
Old 11-06-2013, 5:52 AM

El Dorado, county
Old 11-06-2013, 10:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970gmc4x4 View Post
El Dorado, county
You should be fine then. Our Sheriff only places restrictions that are mandated by state law.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 11-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Rattlesnake Hunter

When I go to the BIG city I carry two, when I go to big city...!
......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel
Old 11-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Rattlesnake Hunter

THREE - if you count the one in my TRUCK...!!!
......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel
Old 11-06-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
San Bernardino county says only one at a time.
How do they say that?
Old 11-06-2013, 1:12 PM

yeah I carry two sometimes and never even thought about them limiting how many you can carry, it never came up in the class or the paperwork, so wanted to check. Sounds like i'm good to go.
Old 11-06-2013, 1:25 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie8719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
San Bernardino county says only one at a time.
How do they say that?
I am curious as well. I haven't heard this before.
Mark 16:16
Old 11-06-2013, 5:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie8719 View Post
How do they say that?
In the renewal class, both Deputies stated that, very clearly.
Old 11-06-2013, 6:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

They can state whatever they want but if it's not on your permit it is unenforceable.

Old 11-06-2013, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
They can state whatever they want but if it's not on your permit it is unenforceable.

Their House their Rules. They'll pull your license if you don't follow their guide lines that they explained in all their CCW classes.

The San Bernardino Sheriff Deputy Instructors said the same thing in my CCW class. They want us to only carry one of the pistols listed on the license.

Old 11-06-2013, 6:34 PM

Quote:
said the same thing
Once again, saying stuff means nothing. And, it is not their house. At best, the deputies doing classes are pool boys.
Old 11-06-2013, 7:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDHORSE View Post
Their House their Rules. They'll pull your license if you don't follow their guide lines that they explained in all their CCW classes.

The San Bernardino Sheriff Deputy Instructors said the same thing in my CCW class. They want us to only carry one of the pistols listed on the license.
And they'll lose if you take them to court over it. The law is very clear in saying all restrictions must be printed on the permit. Your CCW is valid for every listed firearm. Not to mention that the sheriff, not the deputies, makes the policy.

Old 11-06-2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZirconJohn View Post
THREE - if you count the one in my TRUCK...!!!
I dont think we're counting that one for this exercise
Old 11-06-2013, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagearms View Post
Have you asked your issuing agency?
If they haven't said anything, why put words into their mouths for future use?

Barring any language in the paperwork or permit, you get to decide.
Old 11-06-2013, 7:42 PM

I CCW multiple firearms occasionally.
Old 11-07-2013, 4:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
And they'll lose if you take them to court over it. The law is very clear in saying all restrictions must be printed on the permit. Your CCW is valid for every listed firearm. Not to mention that the sheriff, not the deputies, makes the policy.

Stick to your policy in your county. In San Bernardino where I and REDHORSE reside, one gun on your person is the rule. And the Sheriff approves what is presented in class. And your permit can be pulled if you violate the recommendations, you may get your permit back after reporting contact with LEO, but if you take them to court, your permit will never get renewed!

So to all you guys who DO NOT have a CCW from San Bernardino county, instead of telling us how it rolls here, why don't you ask your issueing agency how it rolls there. Not your opinion, but what the agency says.
Old 11-07-2013, 6:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Back in the day when Chief Byrd (sp?) was issuing LTCs, I had a friend list 6 on his license with creative typing. Yup he carried all six.
CGN
Old 11-07-2013, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Not your opinion, but what the agency says.
You don't understand the basics. There are laws. We have to abide by them, and LEO does too. "what the agency says" is an opinion as valid as mine, or yours, unless it is codified, or typed on your permit.

I don't think it is a big secret that most cops would rather no one but they carried, and their "opinions" strongly support that.

What YOU should be doing is asking your agency where they come up with such a bogus rule. Unless they "pull permits" for asking questions.

Last edited by Ritchie8719; 11-07-2013 at 6:32 AM..
Old 11-07-2013, 7:46 AM
CGSSA Associate

I just took the San Bernardino class about 3 weeks ago. There was no mention of how many of your listed firearms you can carry. I pick up my CCW tomorrow. I will ask about it and report back. The only thing I recall them saying that I disagree with is NOT to carry magazines with more than 10 round capacity. The plus side is they didn't say "couldn't", they said "shouldn't", due to the civil suit attorney using that against you somehow when the scumbag's family sues you for shooting their sweet, innocent little boy.

Last edited by jaymz; 11-07-2013 at 7:48 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-07-2013, 7:58 AM

thanks jay, and please go the extra mile and ask "why not" if they say "no".

the California penal code is pretty clear, I think, on what exceptions to prohibitions one has when issued a LTC. For instance, when I go to the range, my listed handguns are not in locked cases, and could be loaded, and be anywhere in the car. Handguns not on the list are unloaded in locked cases.
Old 11-07-2013, 8:09 AM
Veteran Member

The easy way to answer a question like this is to read the (a) applicable PC sections, (b) the restrictions printed on the license, and (c) whatever the IA has on their website. Violating (a) can get you arrested and your license pulled. Violating (b) can get your license pulled. Violating (c) can get your license pulled, albeit not legally; litigation may be required on your part, and who can afford that?

Making a big issue outta this stuff in open threads? Well, that just might give someone ideas of what to try to restrict next. It's November ratings sweeps. Local TV news teaser: "Is the Sheriff allowing favored individuals to carry multiple loaded guns near YOUR child's school? We're asking (stupid) questions and getting (stupid) answers."
Old 11-07-2013, 10:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
Stick to your policy in your county. In San Bernardino where I and REDHORSE reside, one gun on your person is the rule. And the Sheriff approves what is presented in class. And your permit can be pulled if you violate the recommendations, you may get your permit back after reporting contact with LEO, but if you take them to court, your permit will never get renewed!
Once again, read the law. Your issuing agency has to abide by it. And if they refused to renew your permit after you took them to court, won, and had the judge order your permit be reinstated you can bet the farm that judge would give them the smack down and hold the Sheriff in contempt.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=26150-26225

Quote:
26200. (a) A license issued pursuant to this article may include
any reasonable restrictions or conditions that the issuing authority
deems warranted, including restrictions as to the time, place,
manner, and circumstances under which the licensee may carry a
pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon
the person.
(b) Any restrictions imposed pursuant to subdivision (a) shall be
indicated on any license issued.
What does (B) say? In legal terms shall means "must". So once again, if a restriction is not printed on your license it is non-existant.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:01 AM

Mine has no restrictions or terms on it.. just "License to carry concealed pistol, revolver, or other firearm within the state of California" So I don't think it is fair to say if its not on the permit it must not be a real restriction. That why you sign a paper saying you've read all the restrictions and know them.. like where you can't carry. I couldn't find a restriction about more then one gun in any of the application paperwork.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970gmc4x4 View Post
Mine has no restrictions or terms on it.. just "License to carry concealed pistol, revolver, or other firearm within the state of California" So I don't think it is fair to say if its not on the permit it must not be a real restriction. That why you sign a paper saying you've read all the restrictions and know them.. like where you can't carry. I couldn't find a restriction about more then one gun in any of the application paperwork.
No, not quite.

The terms of the Penal Code and applicable Federal law also apply; those govern almost all of the 'where can I carry' restrictions.

Issuing agencies can add restrictions (beyond things that would bring a criminal penalty) to a license; LTC exempts the carrier from the Gun Free School Zone restrictions, but an issuer may mark a license 'no carry on school property'; the Penal Code is completely silent on carry where there are signs prohibiting on private property, or where alcohol is sold/served, but issuers may mark a license 'no carry where signs prohibit' or 'no carry in places that serve alcohol'.

But until some court case changes the plain meaning of the law - and we may have such a case in progress - my position is that the Penal Code means what it says, and if an agency wants behavior beyond what the law requires, that must be actually listed on the physical license issued.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

That's what I was trying to say. Restrictions in excess of what the law already states must be on the license to carry.

Old 11-07-2013, 5:05 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
I just took the San Bernardino class about 3 weeks ago. There was no mention of how many of your listed firearms you can carry. I pick up my CCW tomorrow. I will ask about it and report back. The only thing I recall them saying that I disagree with is NOT to carry magazines with more than 10 round capacity. The plus side is they didn't say "couldn't", they said "shouldn't", due to the civil suit attorney using that against you somehow when the scumbag's family sues you for shooting their sweet, innocent little boy.
Please do! Very interested
Old 11-08-2013, 8:47 AM
CGSSA Associate

Just picked up my CCW at the sheriffs office (still in the parking lot as a matter of fact). I asked about carrying multiple firearms. It's not a problem. The lady I spoke with said "you can carry one in your pocket, one in your jacket and one in your boot. We don't care as long as it's listed on your permit". Hope that clears things up.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
Just picked up my CCW at the sheriffs office (still in the parking lot as a matter of fact). I asked about carrying multiple firearms. It's not a problem. The lady I spoke with said "you can carry one in your pocket, one in your jacket and one in your boot. We don't care as long as it's listed on your permit". Hope that clears things up.
Perfectly, thank you!