Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:58 PM

I look at these lists as a great "target of opportunity" to get supplies that maybe I already have but would love to supplement, not for lack of planning or prepping, but because the opportunity arose to get more. Or for the case of myself and maybe others, its not the lack of planning, but the lack of practical storage space for these last minute items. Sure I could stock up alot more on various items, but having them in the middle of your living room year round is not practical unless you know for sure that you are definately going to need/use these items in the immediate future. In the case of last minute items & supplies, sure stack them all in the hallways or wherever they will fit, work around them, since you know you will be using them.

How about "non-grocery store" type items?

I think I would place Gasoline/Propane/Fuel above most of the others. Yes, I have a supply of these at home, but 50 gallons of Gasoline and 40 gallons of Propane in Fire Resistant cabinets is all I am comfortable storing for my "usual" rotation of supplies. I know if the chance arose I would love to get more in the case of an impending disaster/situation, where short term storage would not be an issue. I just think back to the recent Hurricane and remember seeing people camped out for fuel and thinking that I do NOT want to be one of those guys. I know if I had ample time and was near my home, and there wasnt already a Black Friday style line at the gas station, that would be my first stop.

As far as cash, I think having the smaller bills is a smart move. If only to minimize the opportunists that say they "dont have change". Reminds me of the cocktail waitresses, strippers, bellhops, cabbies etc... that "never" have change in the hopes that you will leave them the entire larger bill.

The rest of the list looks great. I would add chlorine bleach to the list for disinfecting things and as an additional method to purify water.