Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-19-2014, 7:40 AM

Default Buying a pistol - proof of residency question

I currently live in Chico CA for school, but my drivers license shows my hometown in Sonoma Co. I was going to use my lease agreement for my chico apartment for proof of residency, but I was wondering will I get hassled since it's a different address or since they both say CA am I golden?
Old 02-19-2014, 7:50 AM

i didnt have a problem with this issue. i'm in the military and explained that i move around a lot, and as long as i had a bill (pg&e for me) they pressed on with the DROS. hope that helps
Old 02-19-2014, 8:00 AM
Calguns Addict

this is from the 2013 update: "Proof-of-Residency Requirement
To purchase a handgun in California, you must present documentation indicating
that you are a California resident. Acceptable documentation includes a utility
bill from within the last three months, a residential lease, a property deed or
military permanent duty station orders indicating assignment within California.

The address provided on the DROS must match either the address on the proof*
of-residency document or the address on the purchaser’s California driver's
license or identification card. (Pen. Code, § 26845.) "
Old 02-19-2014, 8:08 AM
Veteran Member

If your DL does not match, You need two docs showing your new address. Exp: car reg and utility bill/lease agreement

Last edited by dyson; 02-19-2014 at 8:11 AM..
Old 02-19-2014, 12:48 PM

707tothe907,

I've been told different things by different people including gun dealers. My drivers license does not match my current address as well and I just recently purchased 2 handguns Ambrose Armory. One was already picked up and the other I'm going to pick up in a week to comply with the 30 day limit. All I use is my drivers license (with old address) and DMV registration (but it's not a regular registration it's just a receipt showing I registered my vehicle as non-op but it does have my new address).

I went to a different gun shop and they said they would not except the non-op receipt because it's not a regular registration card with an expiration date. They said to go do a change of address at the DMV, bring proof of the address change and also bring a utility bill. I changed my address online and emailed them a copy of the DMV computer print out and they said it would work. But when I went back to Ambrose Armory to do the DROS for my second handgun I showed the owner the same DMV print out he said they would not except that. So who knows. All I know is I stuck with Ambrose Armory because they have no problems running the DROS with my drivers license with an old address and my DMV non-op registration as my proof of residency and second form of ID (the purpose of the second form of ID is to show your current address.

There's a chance you will be told you don't have the necessary paper work to purchase a handgun even though you do and they will not run the DROS even though it would go through. If I were you take anything you can think of. Take your lease agreement, DMV registration, a utility bill, and do a change of address at the DMV if you have time. You could even do a change of address online and print out the DMV confirmation. Like I said one place said they can take it the other said they don't. I've never had a DROS run using the DMV printout so I can't tell you for sure if it will work.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:55 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyson View Post
If your DL does not match, You need two docs showing your new address. Exp: car reg and utility bill/lease agreement
there is noting in the law that requires TWO documents other than your ID/DL.

you will need one document to cover your federal Proof of Identity requirements since your ID/DL doesn't have your current address on it, and you will need one document for CA PoR requirements. there is nothing that says that you can't use one document to satisfy both PoI and PoR if that document qualifies.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-19-2014, 1:18 PM
Calguns Addict

We are talking about two different laws:

1) California requires a proof of residence. They have a list on their website of what they will accept it largely includes utility bills, vehicle registrations, lease agreements and certain types of government issued licenses such as Guard Cards or FFL 03s. A proof of residence does NOT auto-correct an ID card that lacks the correct address.

2) Federal law states that if your ID does not have a correct address on it certain government issued documents may be used to supplement the ID to be used as an ID correction. I am not aware of any specific list. The rules is stated on the ATF's 4473 form. They use on example on the form itself, they say a tax document. Other government issued forms that would be acceptable would be a vehicle registration, Guard Card, FFL 03, utility bill from a public company (such as Los Angeles Department of Water and Power), or a DMV Information Request Form.

Clearly some of these documents have to the power satisfy both California's requirements and the Federal government's requirements.

If an FFL chooses to ignore it that is their business, but they will pay for it on their next audit. And likely call you asking you to help out.

One could say you have two residences. Your easiest options:
- Use your ID and write a lease agreement or change the vehicle reg to match your ID.

or

- Use your ID and fix your vehicle reg or Use your ID, go to the DMV for an information request for your school address and bring in a utility bill or lease agreement.
Old 02-19-2014, 4:30 PM

Car registration works for me every time. And I've had a different address on my DL before.
Old 02-19-2014, 4:50 PM

My plan is to use my CDL (with old address), and car registration (with old address). That way they match and I won't be hassled by the FFL.

After getting the pistol I'll get a new CDL with new address and use my lease agreement as proof of residency to beging my application for LTC for Butte. I'm just hoping they don't hassle me for buying a pistol with my old address so recently.

Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone.
Old 02-20-2014, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
My plan is to use my CDL (with old address), and car registration (with old address). That way they match and I won't be hassled by the FFL.
The only way that will work is if you use your old address when filling out your forms. I'm pretty sure that's illegal, although I don't know how it'd be possible for anyone to find out. If I were you I'd just take a little time out of your day and get your address changed on your CDL and registration so you won't have any problems.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

usually your car registration should be alright to use, that's the norm , so long as your registration has your address where you live currently. Otherwise, utilities are the secondary, and when i say utlitiy, should be gas or electric.

"A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)
Old 02-20-2014, 11:28 AM

Go to the DMV and fill out a change of address form. They will give you a brown card that you keep behind your license with your old address. They will give you the forms and card at the first desk you go to so you dont have to wait very long. I think it cost me $5 and about 15 min at a very busy DMV