Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 01-21-2019, 7:29 AM

Default "The claw" for kydex holster

I just put an xds in jail so I'm looking for a holster. I'm leaning towards Vedder and since I've lost 35 pounds I can actually appendix carry now lol does anyone have experience with using their claw or any type of claw? I guess it's just supposed to push the grip into your body more?
Old 01-21-2019, 9:37 AM

Correct. I highly recommend the claw attachment. It absolutely works as advertised.
Old 01-21-2019, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD40Kyle View Post
I just put an xds in jail so I'm looking for a holster. I'm leaning towards Vedder and since I've lost 35 pounds I can actually appendix carry now lol does anyone have experience with using their claw or any type of claw? I guess it's just supposed to push the grip into your body more?

If you’re going to appendix carry, check out T-rex sidecar or Tier1 Axis/Agis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2019, 2:12 PM

I highly recommend a claw and wedge...

Check this holster out, it has a molded in claw and wedge.

https://tenicor.com/products/velo-aiwb-holster
Old 01-21-2019, 4:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Get the claw! Especially if it's a gun larger than a sub compact or if you're going to be using any type of grip extension. A good claw really helps tuck the butt of the grip in along the body line so that it doesn't print.

Fighter Pilot
Old 01-21-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
If you’re going to appendix carry, check out T-rex sidecar or Tier1 Axis/Agis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use the Tier1Concealed Axis slim everyday!

I can't say enough good things about it.

Make sure you have a great belt for appendix carry. I use the Ares great Aegis enhanced. It's so good it made appendix carry more comfortable because it's so stiff!
Old 02-02-2019, 6:48 AM

+1 For Vedder Holster w/ the claw attachment it does help print less without sacrificing comfort.
Old 02-02-2019, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerundio View Post
+1 For Vedder Holster w/ the claw attachment it does help print less without sacrificing comfort.
Plus one on this. I just wish Vedder would explain it a little more on the web page. Finally put mine on a few weeks ago. Great addition to make it more concealed.
Old 02-02-2019, 9:17 AM

I decided to go with Vedder and did end up getting the the claw. It came in yesterday and I like it alot! The retention is perfect and it completely disappears when my shirt comes down. And appendix carry is actually pretty dang comfortable too...never thought I'd say that lol
Old 02-02-2019, 9:38 AM

Claw works good.
Old 02-02-2019, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerundio View Post
Plus one on this. I just wish Vedder would explain it a little more on the web page. Finally put mine on a few weeks ago. Great addition to make it more concealed.
Old 02-02-2019, 7:31 PM

After accumulating 2 boxes of kydex and leather holsters over past couple years-- I only use Vedder Holsters w claw now-- I have 5 of them.

Vedder Light Tuck w the claw work great for me. Great company easy to call and talk to them re your needs.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:45 PM

I’ve only got 2 holsters, both for my G26. First was a vedder with the claw and the second was a T1C axis slim. When I bought the vedder I also got a mag caddy because I didn’t know if I was going to want to carry a spare mag all the time. I carry appendix. If I’m going to carry just the gun then the vedder would suffice, but it’s not the best when adding on that extra mag caddy. It’s for that reason that I bought the axis slim and is my primary holster. Both companies make quality stuff.

I will say the claw implementation on the axis slim is much better IMO. Maybe this changes depending on which gun you carry, but I found that the clip on the vedder has to be in the highest ride position for the claw to be effective. If you start dropping it down for deeper concealment the claw loses contact with the belt and actually will get stuck up underneath it at times. It would have been nice if they either made the claw extend further or mount it in a better spot.

Last edited by KevinA.; 02-13-2019 at 10:49 PM..
Old 02-14-2019, 3:04 AM

There are several types. There is the original wing, the newer abbreviated wing style that sits closer to the holster body (and has two different sizes), spacers and built in molding. The list, from left to right, indicates how aggressive the press against your body is. You risk printing at the spine of the holster with the more aggressive wings. I have found the spacer and molding to be least aggressive and useful when combined with a wedge.

The wing you should use depends upon your body shape, gun size, gun rear-of-slide shape, holster height adjustment, belt, and pants loop placement. The spacer works great for my SIG P220. The Abbreviated wing causes terrible printing with my Glock 30 in a JM Custom Kydex AIWB 2.5.

Examples:

Wing: https://goo.gl/images/YPLwDj and https://goo.gl/images/fVJLHN and https://goo.gl/images/VyT127

Abbreviated Wing: https://goo.gl/images/qFMSBq

Spacer: (My homemade holster) https://i.imgur.com/9XwQ07F.jpg

Molded: https://goo.gl/images/Cj3dPh and https://goo.gl/images/C3bDWG

Read the Kelly Turnbull novels to see where California is and will go: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kelly+tur..._2_15_ts-doa-p

Last edited by tomrkba; 02-14-2019 at 3:10 AM..
Old 02-22-2019, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinA. View Post
I will say the claw implementation on the axis slim is much better IMO. Maybe this changes depending on which gun you carry, but I found that the clip on the vedder has to be in the highest ride position for the claw to be effective. If you start dropping it down for deeper concealment the claw loses contact with the belt and actually will get stuck up underneath it at times. It would have been nice if they either made the claw extend further or mount it in a better spot.
I own 3 Vedder LightTuck holsters with claw. I found the same thing you mentioned and contacted them about it. I like to adjust the belt clip in the highest position for the lowest ride height but when I do this on 2 of my Vedders, the claw barely reaches the belt. I told them it would be very helpful to offer a longer claw option.

They responded to my question but didn't say anything about actually making a longer claw for lowest ride height. Still though, I really like my Vedder holsters w claw for appendix carry. They work really well especially for larger guns. micro guns like my P365 or Ruger LCR can be concealed well in pretty much any holster, but when start getting into mid size guns the claw works fantastic to reduce printing.