Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 03-18-2011, 9:13 AM

Congrats and welcome to the club. Stay safe.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:01 AM

Great! I'm glad to see you approved, I didn't scan through your post's did you say you had a point or two?

Old 03-30-2011, 7:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatrogue View Post
Great! I'm glad to see you approved, I didn't scan through your post's did you say you had a point or two?
Sorry, just now saw this.

Yes, and no.

Officially, I have 0 points for insurance purposes. But I do have a speeding ticket on my record from summer/fall 2010. Before that, I had a "failed to fully stop at a stop sign" violation and had two other speeding tickets.....but these three fell outside of the 5 year window that they look at. I did disclosed them anyway though, so it didnt look like I was trying to hide something.

In the 12 years i've had my license, I think i've had 4 tickets, maybe 5.....definitely only 1 moving violation in the last 5 years, and one fix it ticket.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:27 AM

Default Approved Instructor

I've been waiting quite a while for this day. I just found out that I've been approved by the Placer County Sheriff's Department to teach your CCW courses (http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Sheriff/Saveatrip/ConcealedWeaponPermit/CCWTrainingSites.aspx)!! Finally, feel free to contact me regarding setting up your training.

Sincerely,

Wes
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Ione, Jackson, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah, Virginia & Washington

www.LFIguns.com - serving Sacramento, Reno, the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 04-16-2011, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwtrainer View Post
I've been waiting quite a while for this day. I just found out that I've been approved by the Placer County Sheriff's Department to teach your CCW courses (http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Sheriff/Saveatrip/ConcealedWeaponPermit/CCWTrainingSites.aspx)!! Finally, feel free to contact me regarding setting up your training.

Sincerely,

Wes
Congratulations! I'll have to look you up when my renewal comes around!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:42 AM

Hi All,

I have read the posts here and I have two questions:
1. Will "self-defense" get me instantly disqualified for good cause? I don't hike in the hills, carry large amounts of cash, blah, blah blah. So am I dead on arrival?
2. Do I have to take the handgun training from a Placer certified trainer? So a certified shop in Sacramento would not suffice?

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2011, 12:03 PM

On count 1, I couldn't say. I simply don't know what they would let wiggle through on that. I can say however that I have been told by one of the employee's that cause does play a role in their decision.

On count 2, YES, it does have to be a trainer in my understanding that is approved and recognized by Placer.

Are there any Placer LE's in the CO department here that know better?

I hope this helps you.
Old 07-05-2011, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklinnate View Post
Hi All,

1. Will "self-defense" get me instantly disqualified for good cause? I don't hike in the hills, carry large amounts of cash, blah, blah blah. So am I dead on arrival?
2. Do I have to take the handgun training from a Placer certified trainer? So a certified shop in Sacramento would not suffice?

Thanks!
1) You will need to articulate good cause. It doesn't need to be overdone, just a few sentences why you believe you're at a higher degree of risk.

2) It will need to be a person listed on the Placer county website as an approved trainer. See here: http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments...ningSites.aspx

How is your driving / criminal history? Traffic citations are heavily scrutinized.
Old 07-06-2011, 6:06 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I am not at extra risk, so I can't articulate one. I just want my carry permit. I had one when I lived in Colorado and I like to have to option to carry if I feel I need to.

Only issue with my history is a shoplifting arrest at age 13. Spotless since then. Not even a single ticket. I passed the FBI background check needed for Marine Corps OCS.

My brother just got his sac county permit. I was hoping Placer would be in line with Sacramento.
Old 07-06-2011, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I am not at extra risk, so I can't articulate one. I just want my carry permit. I had one when I lived in Colorado and I like to have to option to carry if I feel I need to.

Only issue with my history is a shoplifting arrest at age 13. Spotless since then. Not even a single ticket. I passed the FBI background check needed for Marine Corps OCS.

My brother just got his sac county permit. I was hoping Placer would be in line with Sacramento.
Your not the only one who wishes Placer were in line with Sacramento. That seems odd to say... up until recently.... it was the other way around... hehe
Old 07-08-2011, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

You're over thinking what good cause means.

If this is true and correct, you should not have any issue.

It for the most part is. People still get denied in Sacramento for offences, others did not get denied for in the same county.

Why not talk to a local CCW instructors and ask their opinion.

Last edited by Anti-Hero; 07-08-2011 at 1:44 PM..
Old 07-15-2011, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks!
I'd like to discuss your situation over the phone. I'm sure I can help. My number is (209) 401-0907.
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Ione, Jackson, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah, Virginia & Washington

www.LFIguns.com - serving Sacramento, Reno, the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 07-15-2011, 9:08 PM

Just watch the news these days. I believe every law abiding citizen (in good standing) has good reason to have a ccw. However with that said, it may not be considered good enough cause. It's a crap shoot. Do you visit your brother or frequent the Sacramento area? That place is a war zone with a lot less "good guys" able to come to your rescue these days. It's getting serious now. How many times do you watch the evening news and DON'T see a shooting??? It's happening every night. (talking about the sac area)...

Hopefully ccwtrainer will be able to get you going in the right direction.

Best of luck!
Old 07-15-2011, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartbrandx View Post
Just watch the news these days. I believe every law abiding citizen (in good standing) has good reason to have a ccw. However with that said, it may not be considered good enough cause. It's a crap shoot. Do you visit your brother or frequent the Sacramento area? That place is a war zone with a lot less "good guys" able to come to your rescue these days. It's getting serious now. How many times do you watch the evening news and DON'T see a shooting??? It's happening every night. (talking about the sac area)...

Hopefully ccwtrainer will be able to get you going in the right direction.

Best of luck!
Sadly, I am in a position where with my work lately and with my wife having to work now too... I am left with having to take my 4 small children with me in all of my sales meetings and deliveries all over Sac and Placer. However, Placer's SO see's me AND OTHER'S in dangerous work settings as "less fit" to carry, simply over traffic infractions (Even those that were dismissed or dropped by the citing officer as un-defendable). In my case also, I successfully talked down a bad situation where the guy threatening a fight actually would have been shot (By a CCW Instructor, no less) had he taken a couple steps too close to me... and that situation has found a way to be counted against me as well.

It's not even me I'm so worried about... but I pray to God every night that my kids are safe while I have to drive around all over kingdom come and back just to carve out a living lately. I can control most of what happens when we are on the road, but I worry over what can happen if we stop at the wrong delivery place at the wrong time and no way for me to protect them from an ill intended dirt bag.

My point as a reply to your post... I simply do not believe that what is happening in the news is going to make a lick of difference to the Placer SO. I mean no disrespect here, but it would seem they live in their own world of what they think is acceptable and what is not. I was actually told by a high ranking member of their dept that even though I would not be issued a permit, that I would be more than welcome to exercise my right to open carry. So, I take from that, since you don't have a clear good cause, they will MORE THAN HAPPILY welcome you to do the same.
Old 07-15-2011, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchbaby View Post
Sadly, I am in a position where with my work lately and with my wife having to work now too... I am left with having to take my 4 small children with me in all of my sales meetings and deliveries all over Sac and Placer. However, Placer's SO see's me AND OTHER'S in dangerous work settings as "less fit" to carry, simply over traffic infractions (Even those that were dismissed or dropped by the citing officer as un-defendable). In my case also, I successfully talked down a bad situation where the guy threatening a fight actually would have been shot (By a CCW Instructor, no less) had he taken a couple steps too close to me... and that situation has found a way to be counted against me as well.

It's not even me I'm so worried about... but I pray to God every night that my kids are safe while I have to drive around all over kingdom come and back just to carve out a living lately. I can control most of what happens when we are on the road, but I worry over what can happen if we stop at the wrong delivery place at the wrong time and no way for me to protect them from an ill intended dirt bag.

My point as a reply to your post... I simply do not believe that what is happening in the news is going to make a lick of difference to the Placer SO. I mean no disrespect here, but it would seem they live in their own world of what they think is acceptable and what is not. I was actually told by a high ranking member of their dept that even though I would not be issued a permit, that I would be more than welcome to exercise my right to open carry. So, I take from that, since you don't have a clear good cause, they will MORE THAN HAPPILY welcome you to do the same.
I understand and agree with you. It's a stretch on the good cause. Even though there are real and true threats out there (I feel more than ever before) the fact is, self defense for good cause is sadly not enough. That just doesn't even make sense. But this is where we live. You are guilty until proven innocent and sadly, that's sometimes not even enough.

Pitchbaby, I know I'm preaching to the choir with you on this one. I wish you safe travels everyday. The nature of my own work takes me to some of the most depressed neighborhoods/areas around the "beautiful" sacramento and surrounding areas. I do it by myself. I simply couldn't imagine doing it with my most dearly loved ones with me. Like they say in the hood..."it ain't no joke out there no more"

Last edited by dartbrandx; 07-15-2011 at 9:59 PM..
Old 07-15-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I understand and unfortunately agree with you that even though there are real and true threats out there (I feel more than ever before) the fact is, self defense for good cause is sadly not enough. That just doesn't even make sense. But this is where we live. You are guilty until proven innocent and sadly, that's sometimes not even enough.

Pitchbaby, I know I'm preaching to the choir with you on this one. I wish you safe travels everyday. The nature of my own work takes me to some of the most depressed neighborhoods/areas around the "beautiful" sacramento and surrounding areas. I do it by myself. I simply couldn't imagine doing it with my most dearly loved ones with me. Like they say in the hood..."it ain't no joke out there no more"
Dude, I am tellin' you... these are desperate times... otherwise I would never in a million years ever think to want to bring my kids anywhere I have to go. I was recently swindled (for lack of a nicer way of putting it) by a biz partner for a hefty sum of money, now I have to resort to this in any attempt to still earn honest money. If not for my wife being able to get good work, I don't know where we would be. Even still, I keep thinking about Chris Gardner, the guy portrayed in "The Pursuit of Happyness". Although I have so much more than he did and am immensely grateful for that, I think I really feel a lot of his pain in having to drag his sweet little boy all over the place while he carved out a living. I have four of them and I can bring them in our beastly Excursion, rather than bus, foot, and subway. I know though, there are so many different things they would rather be doing. If anything, they are my hero's. They don't like it, but they do it everyday. Even my littlest son, almost 3 years old... seems to know what has happened to put us in this place and he does so much to bare it.

There are a million other things I think about, but when I think about not having a snow balls chance in hell to defend them, it makes it all the worse.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:29 PM

I really feel for you. These times, you do what you have to do to make it work. If your kids have go with you, then so be it. There's nothing wrong with that one bit. I just wish you had a way to defend yourself and your kids. It's just necessary these days. My wife works for the state. (insert anti union pun here) She is one that goes in early in the am. Not too many people out that early in the morning. Lately, she's been "lightly" harassed by the local indigenous population (bums) on her walk into her building. There's no way the state will let her carry a weapon into the building she works in. We are currently looking into pepper spray. That and maybe a baseball bat!
Old 07-15-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I really feel for you. These times, you do what you have to do to make it work. If your kids have go with you, then so be it. There's nothing wrong with that one bit. I just wish you had a way to defend yourself and your kids. It's just necessary these days. My wife works for the state. (insert anti union pun here) She is one that goes in early in the am. Not too many people out that early in the morning. Lately, she's been "lightly" harassed by the local indigenous population (bums) on her walk into her building. There's no way the state will let her carry a weapon into the building she works in. We are currently looking into pepper spray. That and maybe a baseball bat!
That sucks bro. My wife works at a medical facility. There is a very similar policy. What's worse, they don't even want employee's bringing in taser's or pepper spray. That is just plain messed up if you ask me.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:14 PM

For these businesses that don't allow you to carry pepper spray, I'd document the incidents of harassment, then liberally toss around the 'L' word ... Liability. It may not be a concealed pistol, but it's better than nothing.
Old 07-24-2011, 8:14 AM

i currently have an appointoint with Sac Co Sheriff in a month or so. Well, there is a chance I may move to Roseville. Assuming I am issued in Sacramento, will that transfer to Placer County/City of Roseville? If so, will it be only until the first 2 year term expires or will it be renewable since it was issue by Sacramento County?
Old 07-24-2011, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I have tried to follow the responses that have been posted. Did you apply in Placer County? If so, what was the result?
Old 07-24-2011, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Hound View Post
i currently have an appointoint with Sac Co Sheriff in a month or so. Well, there is a chance I may move to Roseville. Assuming I am issued in Sacramento, will that transfer to Placer County/City of Roseville? If so, will it be only until the first 2 year term expires or will it be renewable since it was issue by Sacramento County?

Cliff notes: You must notify SSD within 10 days of you move. Your permit will expire 90 days after the move.

Read Here:

Penal Code 12050
(f)(2) When the licensee changes his or her address, the license shall be amended to reflect the new address and a new license shall be issued pursuant to paragraph (3).
(3) If the licensing authority amends the license, a new license shall be issued to the licensee reflecting the amendments.
(4)(A) The licensee shall notify the licensing authority in writing within 10 days of any change in the licensee's place of residence.
(B) If the license is one to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, then it may not be revoked solely because the licensee changes his or her place of residence to another county if the licensee has not breached any conditions or restrictions set forth in the license or has not fallen into a prohibited class described in Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code. However, any license issued pursuant to subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) shall expire 90 days after the licensee moves from the county of issuance if the licensee's place of residence was the basis for issuance of the license.

Also: Having a Sacramento county CCW, does not mean you will get a Placer county CCW.

Last edited by Anti-Hero; 07-24-2011 at 1:52 PM.. Reason: Additional information
Old 08-22-2011, 7:18 PM

how long does placer take to hear back for approval?
Old 08-22-2011, 7:41 PM

The process from the date of your interview will take about 6 weeks.
Old 08-23-2011, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Hero View Post
The process from the date of your interview will take about 6 weeks.
Placer's new processes seem to be pretty efficient. It took me one week to schedule the interview and I got my approval two weeks after. My livescan will be mid-September. 6 weeks start-to-finish tracks with my recent experience.
Old 09-12-2011, 2:49 PM

Recently I noticed a lot has changed at Placer. Looks like they are accepting self defense (see top of attachment) as good cause? They also have a new requirement of qualifying with the firearms listed on your permit. They also changed how they collect the fees. I am not sure if they now allow calibers larger than .22, or allow more than 3 guns on your permit. I dont know when this changed, I just know there was a big difference from when I did my interview 3 years ago and when my mother had hers a few months ago. I prepped her for a traumatic interview, and she came out of here interview laughing and making small talk with the interviewer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CCW Permit Issuance and Process.pdf (130.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 09-12-2011, 9:26 PM

Self defense is what every agency issues for, even if it has to be extrapolated from a long-winded GCS.
Old 09-13-2011, 5:57 AM

All I can say is that there has been a change. I recently had another family member go in and use self defense as her GC and was approved. The only thing she added was liking to do recreational things out in town. I also, know that the interview was friendly, with the interviewer just wanting her to be honest about her past. She had a few hiccups on her driving record, as well as a legal issue from 30 years ago. And the interviewer mentioned at the end that he was glad she was honest. On the other hand I had to justify every word of my GC to get my permit 3 years ago.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:05 AM

Yes, things have certainly changed.

I was just pointing out the ironic need for "good cause statements" by some departments. In the end, it all boils down to self defense, so why not just accept "self defense."
Old 09-13-2011, 12:38 PM

It is funny, I have made that exact argument to numerous people and it always suprises me how few times people agree (or even can see my point).

I am curious though, if any of these changes affect the policy Placer has had on lights and lasers. The new policy sheet they have posted does not mention this restriction. I am also curious if they will ever get rid of the common practice of only allowing 3 guns on the permit. Again, that is no longer listed on their policy page. The old policy page listed both of these.

I have lived in no issue counties, and shall issue states, and am mildly pleased with the progress Placer seems to be making. Although, I am disappointed in their addition of a qualifying line of fire as is now required.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer95648 View Post
It is funny, I have made that exact argument to numerous people and it always suprises me how few times people agree (or even can see my point).

I am curious though, if any of these changes affect the policy Placer has had on lights and lasers. The new policy sheet they have posted does not mention this restriction. I am also curious if they will ever get rid of the common practice of only allowing 3 guns on the permit. Again, that is no longer listed on their policy page. The old policy page listed both of these.

I have lived in no issue counties, and shall issue states, and am mildly pleased with the progress Placer seems to be making. Although, I am disappointed in their addition of a qualifying line of fire as is now required.
A little birdie told me a few months back that the certain policies such as lights and lasers were going to change... but I have not checked in since to get final confirmation. I think you would be correct though to believe it is more favorable. You may want to call Jessica to check.
Old 09-13-2011, 1:53 PM

I dont think Jessica is involved anymore. They no longer deal with CCW's out of the records office. I think is now a lady named Elizabeth. I spoke to her just now and she said she is in the process of adding back the lights and laser restriction to their website. I had to bite my tongue, especially when she mentioned that they are still only going to allow 3 firearms per permit.
Old 09-13-2011, 3:35 PM

Quote:
I dont think Jessica is involved anymore. They no longer deal with CCW's out of the records office. I think is now a lady named Elizabeth. I spoke to her just now and she said she is in the process of adding back the lights and laser restriction to their website. I had to bite my tongue, especially when she mentioned that they are still only going to allow 3 firearms per permit.
Oh... WOW... that really is big change!
Old 09-13-2011, 7:13 PM

I was bummed. Jessica has been very helpful in the past, and was always professional. Initially I called the records department and was told that they just (as recently as last week) made the major change to their ccw program. They now have dedicated staff and phone line, as well as an online appointment program. All of which is now separate from records.
Old 09-13-2011, 7:18 PM

Looks like they are putting the fees to good use.
Old 09-14-2011, 3:46 PM

That "self defense may be considered good cause..." is a welcome change. Of concern is the statement "no permitted weapons allowed at locations where a sign is posted prohibiting weapons.". Violation can lead to revocation. Note that the only restriction listed on my license itself is the prohibition against consuming alcohol while carrying. I thought private no weapons signs had no force of law other than possible trespassing if caught, asked to leave, and you refuse. Please discuss.
Old 09-14-2011, 3:49 PM

Its just telling you, as a courtesy to the businesses that post such signs to respect their wishes. You certainly don't have too. But if a deputy were to be called by said business, they might not look favorably at your willful disregard for trespassing.
Old 09-14-2011, 3:59 PM

Quote:
All I can say is that there has been a change. I recently had another family member go in and use self defense as her GC and was approved. The only thing she added was liking to do recreational things out in town. I also, know that the interview was friendly, with the interviewer just wanting her to be honest about her past. She had a few hiccups on her driving record, as well as a legal issue from 30 years ago. And the interviewer mentioned at the end that he was glad she was honest. On the other hand I had to justify every word of my GC to get my permit 3 years ago.
The SO that I know and that a few others have complained about would have likely ditched her app to the curb for a recent citation coupled with certain kinds of legal trouble that still shows up on a report after 30 years. Is this ladies result to suggest that they are now also taking a new stance on Moral Character as well as GC?
Old 09-14-2011, 8:56 PM

I dont recall the SO that she interviewed with, but the impression she was left with was that as long as she was totally honest she was going to be ok. As she was leaving, he asked if there was anything she wanted to add. She then remembered she had forgot to mention that she had a DUI from 15 years ago, and at that point he checked off the last thing on his report and mentioned that she would not have received her permit had she left that off. Her partner had his interview the same day, and had the same experience. Both were granted permits. I dont know if these are typical of what looks like a new system or not. I was well aware of the issues as of late about driving records, as well as the issues people had in the past with decades old issues. I really had little faith she was going to be approved despite her being a stand-up member of the community, but am hopeful things are going in the right direction due to her experience.
Old 09-14-2011, 9:06 PM

Granted permits as in they have them in hand?