Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 04-06-2013, 1:21 PM
Veteran Member

Default Headspacing 8mm Mauser.

So I just bought a VZ24 8mm Mauser. Was wondering where to go in the Bay Area to get it headspaced, or even if anyone had a set of 8mm guages to lend out?

I don't want this thing blowing up in my face.
Old 04-06-2013, 2:46 PM

That's what eye protection is for.

Old 04-06-2013, 2:59 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varg Vikernes View Post
So I just bought a VZ24 8mm Mauser. Was wondering where to go in the Bay Area to get it headspaced, or even if anyone had a set of 8mm guages to lend out?

I don't want this thing blowing up in my face.
If it is a Century import, they say they headspace their stuff.
Old 04-06-2013, 3:38 PM

If the bore is good enough to shoot and the chamber is OK (I.E everything looks round and concentric), the headspace is probably workable. WAAYY to much worry is given to a few thousandths of excess headspace. Especially for bolt actions.

The worst that will happen is a case head separation. The gun will not blow up. If using new ammo, the brass may stretch to fit the chamber. If you reload, set the resizing die to resize to this dimension. Problem solved. Non-reloadable surplus or steel-cased? No worries, you're just going to throw it out.

Examine your fired cases for unusual bulges, presence of a good gas seal at the neck, out-of-roundness, etc. If you're that worried, do the first firing from a rigged-up rest like a gun vise or an old tire with a loop of string to remotely actuate the trigger. Cover the action with white paper towels, so gas leakage will leave marks.

I've paid to have headspace checked a couple times. It was a waste of money. Now, installing a new barrel or shooting certain semi-autos, different story.

Regards
Crunch
Old 04-06-2013, 3:41 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch130 View Post
If the bore is good enough to shoot and the chamber is OK (I.E everything looks round and concentric), the headspace is probably workable. WAAYY to much worry is given to a few thousandths of excess headspace. Especially for bolt actions.

The worst that will happen is a case head separation. The gun will not blow up. If using new ammo, the brass may stretch to fit the chamber. If you reload, set the resizing die to resize to this dimension. Problem solved. Non-reloadable surplus or steel-cased? No worries, you're just going to throw it out.

Examine your fired cases for unusual bulges, presence of a good gas seal at the neck, out-of-roundness, etc. If you're that worried, do the first firing from a rigged-up rest like a gun vise or an old tire with a loop of string to remotely actuate the trigger. Cover the action with white paper towels, so gas leakage will leave marks.

I've paid to have headspace checked a couple times. It was a waste of money. Now, installing a new barrel or shooting certain semi-autos, different story.

Regards
Crunch
Good post. I wear a glove and hunch down under the table for a few rounds and check the brass on new rifles. The spent brass tells the tale.
Old 04-06-2013, 3:59 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think the whole pull a string method will work at a public range. Maybe if you had a bunch of land to shoot on and no one would yell at you for doing something dumb like that. I'd like to headspace it before shooting.

Guess I might have to just get some guages.
Old 04-06-2013, 4:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Famous Last Words, but there isn't much to worry about on a VZ24. One of the singular most durable mauser actions, period. Tested to withstand over 110,000 PSI. In fact, people have done really stupid things with them such as rechambering into .300 Magnum. The VZ24 is not full hardened and that gives it the durability. It will stretch and deform before it fails, it won't explode or shatter like a full hardened action might. Still any gunsmith could probably check it out for you, look for failure, cracks, and do a head-spacing.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 04-06-2013, 4:22 PM

Get some gauges so I can use them to check the bolt fit on this K98k I just picked up!
Old 04-06-2013, 5:00 PM

This is all you need to check it yourself. A 5th grader can do it. It's that easy.

www.bronells.com

319-418-152WB
Field, 8mm Mauser, 8x57 Mauser
Mfr Part: HG8X57F
$28.99