Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 04-02-2020, 8:05 PM

Default Gen3 Glock with gen1 mag

Im not Glock person I so Im asking a noob question. A buddy owns a gen1 G17 which is his primary home defense gun. He is now considering buying another gun for his wife while she is home alone. They are considering Springfield XD and asked for my opinion. Although the XD is a fine gun, I was going to suggest getting a G19 or G26 so he can still use the old school gen1 mags when needed. Are gen1 and gen3 mags interchangeable? I know gen4 mags are different but not sure about 1 vs 3
Old 04-02-2020, 8:11 PM

Yes, I have a Gen 1 G17 and a Gen 3 G17 and the magazines are interchangeable.

The only item of note is that the Gen 1 mags do not drop free, you need to pull them out. At least mine from the late 80s do not.
Old 04-02-2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad H View Post
The only item of note is that the Gen 1 mags do not drop free, you need to pull them out. At least mine from the late 80s do not.
Believe it or not, that was intentional "feature", not a bug. Either the Austrian Police or Army, I can't remember which, didn't want to magazine to drop free, even when fully loaded. It was a philosophical decision regarding the disposability of magazines.

If I recall, there is a minor collectibility value to those magazine, as they are relatively rare.

I'd suggest you not use it anymore and just get regular Glock mags or Magpul Gmags.
Old 04-02-2020, 9:49 PM

Yes but be aware that the old non full metal lined mags tend to crack due to their age and use. Look for hair line cracks along the witness holes.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trriemferent View Post
Im not Glock person I so Im asking a noob question. A buddy owns a gen1 G17 which is his primary home defense gun. He is now considering buying another gun for his wife while she is home alone. They are considering Springfield XD and asked for my opinion. Although the XD is a fine gun, I was going to suggest getting a G19 or G26 so he can still use the old school gen1 mags when needed. Are gen1 and gen3 mags interchangeable? I know gen4 mags are different but not sure about 1 vs 3
His Gen 1 G17 is becoming a bit collectible I think...depending on condition. Does he still have the original box and manual?

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 04-03-2020, 7:36 AM
Veteran Member

The old Glock mags were the weak point of that firearm, without the full metal liner they were brittle and weak. They swell when fully loaded, I’d replace them all with the newer Gen 3 and above mags and not use the old ones anymore. I have a handful of the old mags that I haven’t used in well over a decade. Remember magazines are a disposable item, that need to have parts or the whole thing replaced over time and use.
Old 04-03-2020, 9:01 AM

I don't think that mag interchangeability should be the deciding factor is selecting what gun to buy.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pofoo View Post
I don't think that mag interchangeability should be the deciding factor is selecting what gun to buy.
What? Mag interchangability definitely IS an important factor.

It would be critical for all mags to fit both guns during any emergency, especially when tunnelvision and adrenaline are affecting your vision, judgement and fine motor skills, you do not want to have to visually identify whether a mag will fit if someone is attacking you.
Old 04-03-2020, 1:49 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trriemferent View Post
Glock magazine generation compatibility is dependent on the type of magazine release on the Glock pistol.

Glocks with the standard magazine release can use 1st-5th gen Glock magazines.

Glocks with the ambi-magazine release can only use the 3rd-4th gen Glock magazines.

Glocks with the reversable magazine release set up on the standard side can use 1st-5th gen Glock magazines.

Glocks with the reversable magazine release set up on the non-standard side can only use 4th-5th gen Glock magazines.

Summary of the simplified version of Glock magazine generations...
1st gen = NFML w/ standard mag cut
2nd gen = FML w/ standard mag cut
3rd gen = FML w/ standard mag cut & ambi-mag cut
4th gen = FML w/ standard mag cut & ambi-mag cut & reversable mag cut
5th gen = FML w/ standard mag cut & reversable mag cut

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 04-03-2020, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgrumps View Post
Believe it or not, that was intentional "feature", not a bug. Either the Austrian Police or Army, I can't remember which, didn't want to magazine to drop free, even when fully loaded. It was a philosophical decision regarding the disposability of magazines.

If I recall, there is a minor collectibility value to those magazine, as they are relatively rare.

I'd suggest you not use it anymore and just get regular Glock mags or Magpul Gmags.
Yea, other magazines of the time did not drop clear, I have some aftermarket magazines from the early 90's that do the same thing.

I would be surprised if my magazines are worth much, I think I will just use them. Hell I still use the Gen 1 Glock 17...