Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:24 AM

Default Gunbroker account suspended - getting it unfrozen?

A while back I won an auction on an rifle on Gunbroker for a pretty decent price. Seller said in the auction to just "know your local laws." Following my winning of the auction, I let the seller know that prior to shipping here to CA, all he'd have to do differently as for any other state would be to remove the pistol grip from the rifle (which had no other "features"), but include it in the package. My thinking was that if you could spend 10 minutes packaging a rifle for shipping, you could spend 5 minutes with a screwdriver removing a grip.

Unfortunately, the seller refused to do this. When I pressed for why, he said that he had the know-how to do it (he built rifles), but just arbitrarily didn't want to alter the rifle to comply with CA laws. (I got the vibe that he was pissed at letting the rifle go for such a low price, and seized upon "don't want to ship to CA" as an excuse, but that's neither here nor there.)

I was willing to let it go at that, but a few weeks later the seller filed a non-paying bidder report against me. I disputed it, explained the situation, but Gunbroker ended up siding with the seller, issuing auction credit back toward the seller - and suspending my account.

This was definitely a case where "it is better to ask forgiveness than permission" backfired on me. In the future I'll definitely ask sellers prior to buying stuff like AKs/ARs, if they can spend the time to modify the rifle.

Anyway - Gunbroker said that I could request to have my account "reviewed" after 90 days. I've already sent them an email inquiring about this; I feel very ticked about losing my buying privileges there, as I've bought quite a number of items that are hard to find locally, off their site. I'd phone them to explain what was going on, but they unfortunately don't have any customer service phone number - only email, at which they seem to respond at glacial speed.

Has anyone else here gotten their Gunbroker account frozen, then unfrozen? If so, how long did it take, and what was your experience like?
Old 07-20-2019, 1:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebolt1176 View Post
A while back I won an auction on an rifle on Gunbroker for a pretty decent price. Seller said in the auction to just "know your local laws." Following my winning of the auction, I let the seller know that prior to shipping here to CA, all he'd have to do differently as for any other state would be to remove the pistol grip from the rifle (which had no other "features"), but include it in the package. My thinking was that if you could spend 10 minutes packaging a rifle for shipping, you could spend 5 minutes with a screwdriver removing a grip.

Unfortunately, the seller refused to do this. When I pressed for why, he said that he had the know-how to do it (he built rifles), but just arbitrarily didn't want to alter the rifle to comply with CA laws. (I got the vibe that he was pissed at letting the rifle go for such a low price, and seized upon "don't want to ship to CA" as an excuse, but that's neither here nor there.)

I was willing to let it go at that, but a few weeks later the seller filed a non-paying bidder report against me. I disputed it, explained the situation, but Gunbroker ended up siding with the seller, issuing auction credit back toward the seller - and suspending my account.

This was definitely a case where "it is better to ask forgiveness than permission" backfired on me. In the future I'll definitely ask sellers prior to buying stuff like AKs/ARs, if they can spend the time to modify the rifle.

Anyway - Gunbroker said that I could request to have my account "reviewed" after 90 days. I've already sent them an email inquiring about this; I feel very ticked about losing my buying privileges there, as I've bought quite a number of items that are hard to find locally, off their site. I'd phone them to explain what was going on, but they unfortunately don't have any customer service phone number - only email, at which they seem to respond at glacial speed.

Has anyone else here gotten their Gunbroker account frozen, then unfrozen? If so, how long did it take, and what was your experience like?

Gunbroker's customer service is well known to be aloof and non-responsive, unless you are a high-volume seller. You may just have to wait it out.

They are definitely more seller-friendly than buyer friendly, because they have seen the full gamut of bad buyers and dead-beats, as well as buyers not knowing the laws to which they must adhere and you can bet that is mostly from Californians, New Yorkers, an other anti-gun states.

I've always thought of it from the beginning that it be best to clear any unorthodox request with any seller prior to bidding, no matter how seemingly simple.

Also, I think the seller claiming non-paying bidder was the only way for him to get his fee returned. You had a special circumstance that was not cleared prior to bidding, that put terms or conditions on him against his expectations.

So by disagreeing to those, you would still be a non-paying bidder, regardless.
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 07-20-2019, 2:20 AM
Veteran Member

Gunbroker is a great service however, they are somewhat short staffed so you may have to wait it out. Sounds like you will be restored under the circumstance.

Hang in there.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 07-20-2019, 5:49 AM

I have no sympathy for someone who has an constant attitude of ďit is better to ask for forgiveness than permissionĒ and then complains about suffering the consequences of that. It was a deliberate choice to not ask if the seller would do additional things in hopes that the seller would cave in to additional demands to complete the sale. Even if itís just 5 minutes of the sellerís time, thatís 5 minutes that wasnít agreed to. The seller isnít a slave and does get to decide how to use his time.
Old 07-20-2019, 5:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdawg View Post
I have no sympathy for someone who has an constant attitude of ďit is better to ask for forgiveness than permissionĒ and then complains about suffering the consequences of that. It was a deliberate choice to not ask if the seller would do additional things in hopes that the seller would cave in to additional demands to complete the sale. Even if itís just 5 minutes of the sellerís time, thatís 5 minutes that wasnít agreed to. The seller isnít a slave and does get to decide how to use his time.
ouch. but i have to agree. OP, you should have mentioned this detail before bidding on the rifle. live and learn, right?
Old 07-20-2019, 6:10 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I agree with sheepdawg. If you had asked ahead of time if the seller would remove the grip, the problem could have been avoided.

Or had you offered to pay extra money for the service, or offered to pay the auction fee so that the seller was not out money on your mistake/assumption.

No big deal though, you'll get your account back eventually and until then, take the money you would have been blowing on Gunbroker and put it in to index funds.
Old 07-20-2019, 6:11 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

it took me a year to get my account restored but i put gunbroker on notice that all thier auctions were banned for transfers. they finally agreed i was right and the buyer was wrong. the months of emails and proof that the buyer was lying meant zero. the loss of revenue and dozens of potential customers complaining to them is what made them see the light. good luck. i hate gunbroker but they are needed. i did like them groveling at my feet a year later.

01FFL/03SOT AND 07FFL/02SOT
PHOENIX, AZ MIDDLEMAN TRANSFER DEALER SINCE 2010
10 round magazine conversion service
CA compliance service
Machine gun/suppressor rentals
Private 10 acre range rentals
Storage for your CA firearms/CA prohibited firearm purchases.

MY CALGUNS COMMERCIAL SALES SUBFORUM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=376
Old 07-20-2019, 6:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I always email the seller first. If they will ship to CA.
Old 07-20-2019, 6:59 AM

You should of had it delivered to Audiophil instead if he refused to ship to CA or did not want to alter for CA laws.
Old 07-20-2019, 1:23 PM
Calguns Addict

I miss the old Auction Arms. Free for buyers and sellers and the owners just lived off ad revenue. Of course, anything good eventually gets bought - and made crappier.
Old 07-20-2019, 1:31 PM

Gunbroker sucks now. Usually they side with the buyers. Wish they would suspend buyers accounts more often.
Old 07-20-2019, 1:42 PM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

it doesn't take a minute to remove it so no big deal to me but obviously it does to him.
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

******* Consider your final destiny, there is no second chance there. *******
Old 07-21-2019, 6:02 PM

Well, update - Gunbroker got back to me and said that as a courtesy they'd reinstate my account.

Lesson learned, at any rate, and for sure I'll be sure to verify prior to making any bids.
Old 07-21-2019, 6:30 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
I always email the seller first. If they will ship to CA.
I do too, that clears up everything else.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 07-21-2019, 9:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.A.R. View Post
You should of had it delivered to Audiophil instead if he refused to ship to CA or did not want to alter for CA laws.
I bought a nickel model 25 3 inch revolver for a great price but he didnít want to ship to my FFL who would do the conversion here locally. I just sent it to EBR works, easy and painless process. I told EBR exactly what I needed from him to get it shipped and where I was shipping it to. Seller never questioned it, his ad said no sales to California.

If it was a rifle I would probably use audiophil, only reason is because I have seen him sell a lot of different rifles and make them CA friendly here on the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach1 View Post
Z gets around. lol