Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-26-2013, 6:10 PM
Veteran Member

Default Dem's gonna tax ammo and guns out of business...

A pair of Democratic lawmakers are proposing steep new taxes on handguns and ammunition, and tying the revenues to programs aimed at preventing gun violence.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2d8D7deph

Now exactly how does this prevent gun violence?
Old 08-26-2013, 6:18 PM
Calguns Addict

i think thats exactly what they are trying to do
no gun sellers = no guns, or at least all guns would be illegal at that point, therefor your a felon if you have a gun, since you would have no legal place to have bought it
Old 08-27-2013, 9:19 AM

Yeah, I've been writing about this in my Examiner column for a couple of days.
One concern is that this could be a way to erode the Pittman-Robertson account.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

I think those taxes already exist in guns and ammo, this is just a hefty increase. Hopefully it goes nowhere.

Respectfully
Kyle

Leadership, logistics, communications, and will.

"Doing nothing is doing something"

_________+__________
Old 08-27-2013, 11:07 AM

The Congress will not allow this to go forward. Here's why:

The increased amount of taxation (the 9% increase in firearms and the 39% increase in ammo) would not go to the Wildlife Conservation and Restoration Act but would be divided in the following manner:
  • 35 percent of such amounts shall be available for community-oriented policing services grants for the hiring and rehiring of additional career law enforcement officers.
  • 35 percent of such amounts shall be available for the Project Safe Neighborhoods.
  • 10 percent of such amounts shall be available for the Centers for Disease Control National Center for Injury Prevention and Control for purposes of research on gun violence and its prevention.
  • 5 percent of such amounts shall be available for the National Criminal History Improvement Program.
  • 5 percent of such amounts shall be available for the NICS Act Record Improvement Program.
  • 5 percent for the Community-Based Violence Prevention Field-Initiated Research and Evaluation Program of the Department of Justice.
  • 5 percent of such amounts shall be available for the Secretary of Education.

Nowhere in the Act (as currently applied) are US and State governments exempted from the excise tax (while this is true of the Act itself, there may be such exemptions under the referenced IRS codes that I have not found). That would change as this new legislation explicitly exempts the US Government (and all of its agencies) from the burden of paying the excise tax.

The increased taxation would play havoc upon the Conservation efforts that led to the original excise tax.

The funds go to more than just preserving wildlife and conservation of hunting grounds. The funds are also a large part of the the safety instruction for hunting and for target range improvements. This is something that affects much more than the hunters themselves.

By increasing the excise taxes by such an amount, it would directly affect the ability of our poorer citizens to not only procure arms, but dramatically affect the ability of an even broader segment to shoot. While this may or may not be a viable legal argument, it is not the argument that I would make while the bill is in committee. That argument is directly tied to the decrease in funds for conservation and wildlife management because of the increase in taxation!

Now add in the explicit exemption from taxation of the US Government, and you have just about evaporated the funding used for all of the programs of Pittman-Robertson.

The excise taxes raised by P-R, and put to use for conservation is the most successful environmental program of the past 80+ years. Does anyone seriously think that the Congress is going to gut such a provident program to appease the gun-control crowd?
Old 08-27-2013, 8:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I hope you're right, Al, but I'm going to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor