Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:29 PM

Default Flowchart on Mansplaining

After a horrible experience at the Vallejo gun show this past weekend where a few guys were acting condescending towards me (yes, you lost a sale because of it) and explaining things to me that didn't need to be explained, I feel it appropriate to post this.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Huh?
Old 07-20-2018, 7:29 AM

LOL... Im sorry you had to experience that. Ive been there a few times myself. My favorite is when some guy told me that it was ok to pick up a shotgun if I wanted to. I wasnt interested in the weapon, I just happened to look ok at it as I walked past. I said no thanks and he responded need with something like, Its ok. Its not heavy!

Yeah ok....LOL
Old 07-20-2018, 9:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

But were they looking at your eyes?
Old 07-20-2018, 9:21 PM

Love it!! Great Flowchart!! We've all been there a time or 10. Gun salesmen are the worse. Most of them need to get to the red box sooner than later. At least at the range, most guys have the enough common sense to look at my target before they try to teach the "little lady" how to shoot.

It used to bother me, but these days I just shine them on. Only those folks that treat me as an individual worthy of respect get my business.
Old 07-21-2018, 6:50 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

great chart!
think we've all been there!
sales people: let me ask you the questions. answer the specific question only.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 07-21-2018, 10:58 AM

The story behind this for context.

1. I was looking at old military rifles at a booth with three guys. Two of the guys were there to help their buddy sell some of his collection. I have my 03FFL+CoE, they did not, so I asked how we were going to do the sale because I had not bought anything with my 03FFL at a gun show before or bought from a private individual. I don't know how they expected to sell anything there if they didn't know we needed a 01FFL to perform the transfer, but anyway before I could explain how someone with a 03FFL still needs an 01FFL to purchase from a private individual in CA, he said "yeah I'm not an idiot, I know what a 03FFL is". I must have obviously looked immediately disgusted as guy #2 said "oh he's just joking!". Whether he was actually joking or not, I walked away without another word and ignored their booth for the rest of the day. Ended up having lunch next to guy #2 and he reitereated how guy #1 really was just joking. I explained to him how often I get attitude like that and I was done with it. "Whether he was joking or not, you guys lost a sale because of it and I was going to buy that rifle."

2: I somehow happened to find seven 7.62x39 rounds in my stuff after a carbine training class, so now I need something to shoot it. I was looking at a nice SKS with leather belt with pouches for sale. I wanted to determine if it was old enough for C&R status or if it was newer (it ended up being a Norinco from the 80s). I asked about it and both the seller and some random guy starts talking to me about how great the 7.62x39 round is so great, how cheap it is to buy, how such a great hunting round it is, how 7.62x39 isn't the same as but is better than 7.62x51, blah blah blah... I was so tired of being disgusted from the previous experience that I just smiled and nodded. After he was done talking I said I would think about it and never returned.

I did end up buying the same old military rifle that the guys from experience 1 had for sale but from someone else. I only hope that those guys saw me buying it and taking it home with me.

Last edited by firefly416; 07-21-2018 at 11:04 AM..
Old 07-21-2018, 11:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Red face

WHOOP! Women's forum! I'm outta here!
Old 07-21-2018, 5:33 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

firefly, your thread title appeared on the forum's Main Index page, and the word "mansplaining" caught my eye.

I believe I am guilty of this, not with condescention, but more because I have always been very interested in how things work. Thank you for bringing this to my attention even if indirectly.

Would your post get more traffic if posted in the General Guns Discussion?

Some of we knuckle-draggers might be too embarrassed to peek into the Ladies' Forum!

. 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 07-21-2018, 6:49 PM

THIS THREAD IS POSTED IN THE WOMEN'S FORUM. GENTLEMEN ARE INVITED TO RESPOND IF THEY ARE CIVIL. IF NOT, PLEASE DON'T. THE WOMEN'S FORUM HAS RULES.

Hilarious ! Too true, too true ! It's particularly pointed to note that we actually have a word for "mansplaining". I used to simply call it condesention...

And underneath it all is my firm belief, based in the recent #MeToo issues that "if you wouldn't talk to, touch or deal with another man that way, you shouldn't deal with women that way either. (Wives and lovers excepted. ) Really, really simple.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 07-21-2018 at 6:55 PM..
Old 07-21-2018, 6:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
firefly, your thread title appeared on the forum's Main Index page, and the word "mansplaining" caught my eye.

I believe I am guilty of this, not with condescention, but more because I have always been very interested in how things work. Thank you for bringing this to my attention even if indirectly.

Would your post get more traffic if posted in the General Guns Discussion?

Some of we knuckle-draggers might be too embarrassed to peek into the Ladies' Forum!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
THIS THREAD IS POSTED IN THE WOMEN'S FORUM. GENTLEMEN ARE INVITED TO RESPOND IF THEY ARE CIVIL. IF NOT, PLEASE DON'T. THE WOMEN'S FORUM HAS RULES.

Hilarious ! Too true, too true ! It's particularly pointed to note that we actually have a word for "mansplaining". I used to simply call it condesention...

And underneath it all is my firm belief, based in the recent #MeToo issues that "if you wouldn't talk to, touch or deal with another man that way, you shouldn't deal with women that way either. (Wives and lovers excepted. ) Really, really simple.
It's spelled "condescension".

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: I cant wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Old 07-21-2018, 7:03 PM

Thanks, Njineermike, for enlightening my peasant darkness...
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 07-21-2018, 7:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Thanks, Njineermike, for enlightening my peasant darkness...
You're welcome.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: I cant wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Old 07-21-2018, 7:34 PM
Seor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
Huh?
Do you want me to explain it to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-22-2018, 9:38 AM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

^ ^ ^

In other news...

Thank you, njineermike, for the condescension.

...for the correct spelling, that is.

. 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 07-22-2018, 4:33 PM

LOL, 200Apples...!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 07-24-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly416 View Post
The story behind this for context.

1. I was looking at old military rifles at a booth with three guys. Two of the guys were there to help their buddy sell some of his collection. I have my 03FFL+CoE, they did not, so I asked how we were going to do the sale because I had not bought anything with my 03FFL at a gun show before or bought from a private individual. I don't know how they expected to sell anything there if they didn't know we needed a 01FFL to perform the transfer, but anyway before I could explain how someone with a 03FFL still needs an 01FFL to purchase from a private individual in CA, he said "yeah I'm not an idiot, I know what a 03FFL is". I must have obviously looked immediately disgusted as guy #2 said "oh he's just joking!". Whether he was actually joking or not, I walked away without another word and ignored their booth for the rest of the day. Ended up having lunch next to guy #2 and he reitereated how guy #1 really was just joking. I explained to him how often I get attitude like that and I was done with it. "Whether he was joking or not, you guys lost a sale because of it and I was going to buy that rifle."

2: I somehow happened to find seven 7.62x39 rounds in my stuff after a carbine training class, so now I need something to shoot it. I was looking at a nice SKS with leather belt with pouches for sale. I wanted to determine if it was old enough for C&R status or if it was newer (it ended up being a Norinco from the 80s). I asked about it and both the seller and some random guy starts talking to me about how great the 7.62x39 round is so great, how cheap it is to buy, how such a great hunting round it is, how 7.62x39 isn't the same as but is better than 7.62x51, blah blah blah... I was so tired of being disgusted from the previous experience that I just smiled and nodded. After he was done talking I said I would think about it and never returned.

I did end up buying the same old military rifle that the guys from experience 1 had for sale but from someone else. I only hope that those guys saw me buying it and taking it home with me.
Sort of fell down in this thread from another...

Regarding needing a dealer when dealing with a private party, FFL03 with COE can buy a long gun direct:

ARTICLE 6. Exceptions to the Requirement of Using a Dealer for a Private Party Firearms Transaction [27850 - 27970] ( Article 6 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

Commencing January 1, 2014, if all of the following requirements are satisfied, Section 27545 shall not apply to the sale, loan, or transfer of a firearm:

(a) The sale, loan, or transfer is infrequent, as defined in Section 16730.

(b) The firearm is not a handgun.

(c) The firearm is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or its successor.

(d) The person receiving the firearm has a current certificate of eligibility issued pursuant to Section 26710.

(e) The person receiving the firearm is licensed as a collector pursuant to Chapter 44 of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued thereto.

(f) Within 30 days of taking possession of the firearm, the person to whom it is transferred shall forward by prepaid mail, or deliver in person to the Department of Justice, a report that includes information concerning the individual taking possession of the firearm, how title was obtained and from whom, and a description of the firearm in question. The report forms that individuals complete pursuant to this section shall be provided to them by the department.
WTB: Pietta 45lc conversion cylinder
Old 07-24-2018, 11:05 AM

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa
Old 07-24-2018, 12:04 PM

thank you, ECG! lol! nails it.
Quote:
Old 07-24-2018, 12:08 PM

You should have asked me before you made this flowchart. i would have told you a better way to do it.
Old 07-24-2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den60 View Post
You should have asked me before you made this flowchart. i would have told you a better way to do it.

This is no laughing matter.
Old 07-24-2018, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly416 View Post

This is no laughing matter.
It was a joke, ma'am.
Old 08-05-2018, 5:19 PM

Got accused of mansplaining at work by a person that walked in half way through a conversation where I was explaining to a coworker WHO ASKED ME why she needed to rotate her tires.

Then when trying to explain that I wasn't mansplaining I was called a chauvinist and about a half dozen other things, and then threatened with HR.

I've just stopped helping people, it's easier for me anyway.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:36 AM

I'm an older woman w/gray hair. I love it when I shop and the "guy" behind the counter immediately tries to tell me what I want (or don't want) in a handgun. it takes me about a minute to set them straight. I let them know they just lost a sale, then I leave.
Old 09-09-2018, 3:38 PM
Manufacturer/Vendor
CGN Contributor

The problem with the flowchart or the whole concept of “mansplaining” is this: imagine that a woman is supposed to take the flow chart, not a man. How is she mansplaining?
Women attempt to explain things to each other in which one party is the more experienced, constantly just like men do Among men.

It’s not mansplaining. It’s a human behavior that both men and women do in conversation with both men and woman.

Some men like to hear themselves talk, regardless if to a man or woman.
Some women like to hear themselves talk, regardless if to a man or woman.

That’s why the flowchart or even concept of mansplaining is sexist. It’s not a behavior of men, but of humans.

This is just one human talking to others.
Old 09-09-2018, 3:44 PM
Manufacturer/Vendor
CGN Contributor

The experiences some women have at gun stores actually happens to men too. Doesn’t matter how much shop you talk, gun store employees will correct you. Guys at the range will know more about my gun. It bothers us all.

Last edited by Frozenguy; 09-09-2018 at 3:46 PM..
Old 09-09-2018, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den60 View Post
Old 09-09-2018, 5:16 PM
Multi-Tool
CGN Contributor

Thank you for having a sense of humor Widdle.

There are also definitions for Womansplaining, but I will not post them in the Ladies Forum.

Last edited by Garv; 09-09-2018 at 5:19 PM..