Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 04-03-2020, 8:34 AM

Default Spyderco Dodo

So I’m diving into the knife world.

Wallet is taking a beating but with the stay at home order in place, it’s been fun flicking knives and taking some of them apart all day to keep my mind off the misery.

Bought a bunch of Spydercos, a few CRKTs, a Civivi, a Benchmade, a Boker, a Kershaw, a Kizer and a few others I’m probably forgetting.

The Spydercos are probably my favorite of the group. The Delica 4, Yojimbo 2, Para 3 and Q-Ball have entered the stable thus far.

Now, I’m taking a hard look at the Dodo. There’s something so alluring about this thing. Really drawn to its weirdness. Know it’s far from cheap so I thought I’d ask before pulling the trigger:

Anybody have one they can report on?

Old 04-03-2020, 8:59 AM

Looks like an expensive box opener. Yes the name is correct. It does look like do do. What’s the function of the blade ? Also looks like a PITA to sharpen

https://alliance-designs.com/collections/jeremy-marsh

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Reate-...0-Frame--92863
Old 04-03-2020, 9:04 AM
Calguns Addict

If you're dead set on a Spyderco I just want to let people know that they have a budget line of knives called " Byrd " brand. They are designed by the Spyderco team but they are all made in China. Just like 99% of everything we buy.

I don't know if they make the model you're looking for and their lower Byrd brand label. But it might be a place to look first.
Old 04-03-2020, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Prestige View Post
Looks like an expensive box opener. Yes the name is correct. It does look like do do.
How DARE you

Quote:
Whatís the function of the blade ? Also looks like a PITA to sharpen
The beak blade is supposed to be really grippy. Perfect for latching onto the small intestine and pulling it out with only minimal fuss, supposedly.

Idk, box cutting?
Old 04-03-2020, 9:18 AM

Two things that make me a bit tentative:

—M4 corrosion
—that ball lock (I prefer compression locks)
Old 04-03-2020, 9:21 AM

I don’t know but that’s one model that does not interest me.
Old 04-03-2020, 9:23 AM

i own and carry this for cool points. I have 0 knife fighting skill and wouldn’t want to because things get messy. I have about 9-10 spyderco knives and this is my absolute favorite knife

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/det...hp?product=267
Old 04-03-2020, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
If you're dead set on a Spyderco I just want to let people know that they have a budget line of knives called " Byrd " brand. They are designed by the Spyderco team but they are all made in China. Just like 99% of everything we buy.

I don't know if they make the model you're looking for and their lower Byrd brand label. But it might be a place to look first.
Thanks—not saying they don’t fit a niche—but any Byrd Spydie would be going backwards in my mind. Already started with the higher end USA-made Spydercos and my OCD won’t allow it.

Plus, f*** China.
Old 04-03-2020, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingDings View Post
Two things that make me a bit tentative:

óM4 corrosion
óthat ball lock (I prefer compression locks)
M4 blade steel is extremely strong and keeps an edge for a long period of not so ideal use. Great blade material and corrosion would only be rust but havenít had a knife rust on me yet.
Old 04-03-2020, 9:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Re China, some of the non Golden CO models come out of Seki City Japan, the Dragonfly 2 and the Police 4 are a couple examples from my growing Spydy collection.
Old 04-03-2020, 9:31 AM

Quote:
i own and carry this for cool points. I have 0 knife fighting skill and wouldnít want to because things get messy. I have about 9-10 spyderco knives and this is my absolute favorite knife

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/det...hp?product=267
I was looking hard at that beauty, too.

Unfortunately, Iím a sucker for the unusual. Not saying Iíd bar her from entering the collection, itís just that the Dodo takes priority right now.
Old 04-03-2020, 9:32 AM

Why not stick with a delica 4 in zdp or even the version with the Emerson wave. I personally like the Yojimbo 2 but I know there are many who don’t like the blade shape. What I like about the delica is it’s inexpensive and thin. Very easy to pocket and use as a SD knife. Granted your purpose is to create distance from an attacker and not duke it out. Knife fights are messy and you will always get cut
Old 04-03-2020, 9:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

nice. I'm not a huge fan of those blades--but it's really what makes you happy.

But I do like unusual blades as well. That P'kal is pretty neat, but costs more than I'd want to pay lol.

Spyderco is a good brand, well made, and worth it. I have a couple of old ones, never rusted or broke--but I don't use them for much more than box cutters.

I actually got a couple of knives just recently as well:

and
Old 04-03-2020, 9:36 AM

Things I like about the Dodo:

—Fat G-10 scales
—Handle size
—Blade size (*enjoy the little guys)
—Blade shape (*weirdness factor)
—Wire clip
—It’s a Spyderco
Old 04-03-2020, 9:37 AM
Calguns Addict

^ I'm glad you feel that way. I've been warning people about Chinese ingredients in food products and actual food products themselves for years now.

Everything canned or bottled used to proudly say where it is made then a lot of products just started saying distributed by... and printing some u.s. address.

Even the food that is being made here often has preservatives, ingredients or chemicals that are coming from China.

I have no problems with Chinese Americans.
But anyone can see that the Communist Chinese government has been waging a undercover trade war with us for many years now, including lobbyists doing what lobbyists do to our politician$ in DC and price market manipulation.

So I'm with you...
I will do my best to continue to buy all products made anywhere but China and preferably in the US.

But that ain't easy.

As an example , my guess is even the Spyderco models that are "made in the USA" are using screws, pocket clips and hardware that's coming directly from China.
Why?... because it's cheaper and companies can profit more even when they're already overcharging for a simple tool, like a folding knife ( in my opinion).
Old 04-03-2020, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357manny View Post
nice. I'm not a huge fan of those blades--but it's really what makes you happy.

But I do like unusual blades as well. That P'kal is pretty neat, but costs more than I'd want to pay lol.

Spyderco is a good brand, well made, and worth it. I have a couple of old ones, never rusted or broke--but I don't use them for much more than box cutters.

I actually got a couple of knives just recently as well:

and
Nice

Off-topic: Iím aware that karambits aren't considered steel knuckles...yet theyíre so similar...always found that odd. Maybe you can clarify.
Old 04-03-2020, 9:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Nice

Off-topic: Iím aware that karambits aren't considered steel knuckles...yet theyíre so similar...always found that odd. Maybe you can clarify.
Clarify what? They are just fancy handles for me.

TBH, I've watched a bunch of movies where they use karambits in lots of fancy fighting. I would never do that myself, I just liked the blades haha.
Old 04-03-2020, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snacks View Post
Why not stick with a delica 4 in zdp or even the version with the Emerson wave. I personally like the Yojimbo 2 but I know there are many who donít like the blade shape. What I like about the delica is itís inexpensive and thin. Very easy to pocket and use as a SD knife. Granted your purpose is to create distance from an attacker and not duke it out. Knife fights are messy and you will always get cut
And here we goóback to the blade shape.

I love the Yojimbo blade shape lol. A few of the others I purchased were sheepsfoot.
Old 04-03-2020, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Things I like about the Dodo:

óFat G-10 scales
óHandle size
óBlade size (*enjoy the little guys)
óBlade shape (*weirdness factor)
óWire clip
óItís a Spyderco

I could see that. It does have its uniqueness factor. And the blade size is nice and compact.

I like the handle shape but have a hard time getting accustomed to the blade shape. In any case if you enjoy it you should get it. Thatís part of the knife hobby.

Many buy what they like and sell on the forums to buy other items.

I recently bought a PM2 though I would like the knife but felt Meh after I received it. Never though I would like the delica 4. But I love the thinness of it and how compact it is. Just wish they offered it in standard s30v and g10 scales

I still like my Hinderers but man they get costly after a while.
Old 04-03-2020, 9:47 AM

Quote:
And here we goóback to the blade shape.

I love the Yojimbo blade shape lol. A few of the others I purchased were sheepsfoot.
Lol I know. Watch a month from now Iíll have a Dodo. Like with everything my tastes change.
Old 04-03-2020, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357manny View Post
Clarify what? They are just fancy handles for me.

TBH, I've watched a bunch of movies where they use karambits in lots of fancy fighting. I would never do that myself, I just liked the blades haha.
Yeah, I get ya. Itís just that Iíve been reading up on CA knife laws as of late and the s*** is wackier than our gun laws (didnít think that was possible).
Old 04-03-2020, 9:54 AM

Quote:
I could see that. It does have its uniqueness factor. And the blade size is nice and compact.

I like the handle shape but have a hard time getting accustomed to the blade shape. In any case if you enjoy it you should get it. Thatís part of the knife hobby.

Many buy what they like and sell on the forums to buy other items.

I recently bought a PM2 though I would like the knife but felt Meh after I received it. Never though I would like the delica 4. But I love the thinness of it and how compact it is. Just wish they offered it in standard s30v and g10 scales

I still like my Hinderers but man they get costly after a while.
Thanks for the PM2 advice. That was number 3 on my list.

Quote:
Lol I know. Watch a month from now Iíll have a Dodo. Like with everything my tastes change.
Will probably end up with one this month if the price is right and the scale color suits me. Iíll report back.

So far, the Q-Ball is pretty cool (poor manís Dodo?) but it was a pain to loosen up. The ball lock mechanism isnít my favorite but (like most things in life) I think I just need more practice with it.
Old 04-03-2020, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I get ya. Itís just that Iíve been reading up on CA knife laws as of late and the s*** is wackier than our gun laws (didnít think that was possible).
Yeah they are nuts. I ended up getting mostly knives with a 3Ē blade length due to it. But certain areas donít have a precedent on blade length.

I know the Yojimbo would attract unwanted attention plus the length is over 3Ē in length. I was carrying a bugout. Doesnít look intimidating but the blade length is still over 3Ē

For some reason Spyderco s feel more robust to me.

I also have a mini grip but find the handle to small. The para 3 works great but the width is wider than the bugout.

I havenít held a dodo but I might end up liking it
Old 04-03-2020, 10:02 AM

If you do get a PM2. Try getting the s35vn blade. It’s considered to be a slightly better steel than s30v. But for the price difference New compared to the standard pm2. It makes total sense. But they only offer the pm2 in s35vn in satin blade or dlc blade with coyote scales.

Unless you want premium steel like m4 or maxamet

10v just came out but it’s sold out everywhere. Maxamet would be cool and holds the longest edge retention so far but difficult to sharpen.

Best wishes on your knife hobby a friend told me, when you buy your first Spyderco you just fell into the spyderhole. Not sure if that made any sense it made better sense coming from him
Old 04-03-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah they are nuts. I ended up getting mostly knives with a 3Ē blade length due to it. But certain areas donít have a precedent on blade length.

I know the Yojimbo would attract unwanted attention plus the length is over 3Ē in length. I was carrying a bugout. Doesnít look intimidating but the blade length is still over 3Ē

For some reason Spyderco s feel more robust to me.

I also have a mini grip but find the handle to small. The para 3 works great but the width is wider than the bugout.

I havenít held a dodo but I might end up liking it
Agreed on the Spyderco robustness factor. Thatís what draws me to them.

Have a mini Griptilian on the way. Impulse buy but if itís too small, Iíll just re-sell it or trade it for another Spyderco.

And, yeah, even though I love the thing, I probably wonít be taking the Yojimbo out much. Sheís penciled in for domestic duties only (murdering Amazon boxes, etc.).
Old 04-03-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
If you do get a PM2. Try getting the s35vn blade. Itís considered to be a slightly better steel than s30v. But for the price difference New compared to the standard pm2. It makes total sense. But they only offer the pm2 in s35vn in satin blade or dlc blade with coyote scales.

Unless you want premium steel like m4 or maxamet

10v just came out but itís sold out everywhere. Maxamet would be cool and holds the longest edge retention so far but difficult to sharpen.

Best wishes on your knife hobby a friend told me, when you buy your first Spyderco you just fell into the spyderhole. Not sure if that made any sense it made better sense coming from him
Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Agreed on the Spyderco robustness factor. Thatís what draws me to them.

Have a mini Griptilian on the way. Impulse buy but if itís too small, Iíll just re-sell it or trade it for another Spyderco.

And, yeah, even though I love the thing, I probably wonít be taking the Yojimbo out much. Sheís penciled in for domestic duties only (murdering Amazon boxes, etc.).

Lol thatís what my Yojimbo has been doing too. What ever you get I think you will enjoy it. Thatís how I have been. The only ones Iíve sold are the multiples in my collection.

Best wishes
Old 04-03-2020, 10:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

fwiw, recent spyder hole victim, have 8 or 9 now. Really love the PM2 lefty, but just picked up the Manix 2 DrkBlu G10 and its now my favorite...currently. Had the Manix 2 FRN but just did not feel right, sent it back for the G10 basic and the Blurple. Blurple has skeletonized liners, so weight and looks had me send the G10 basic back and kept the blurple.
The ball bearing, tight lock up, smoothness...it just feels superior to any of the other ones I have.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudigan View Post
fwiw, recent spyder hole victim, have 8 or 9 now. Really love the PM2 lefty, but just picked up the Manix 2 DrkBlu G10 and its now my favorite...currently. Had the Manix 2 FRN but just did not feel right, sent it back for the G10 basic and the Blurple. Blurple has skeletonized liners, so weight and looks had me send the G10 basic back and kept the blurple.
The ball bearing, tight lock up, smoothness...it just feels superior to any of the other ones I have.
Manix 2 is another Iím looking at very closely. Never held one, but it seems like the ball bearing lock sticks out more than the Dodo/QBall? Also, it looks like it has some grip to it when you pull down, no?

If so, thatís a plus in my book.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:41 AM

It’s a good user. It’s the first Spyderco I purchased. I use it all the time. Especially if I’m working in the yard and cutting stuff.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Manix 2 is another Iím looking at very closely. Never held one, but it seems like the ball bearing lock sticks out more than the Dodo/QBall? Also, it looks like it has some grip to it when you pull down, no?

If so, thatís a plus in my book.
Not seen the dodo ball, but yeah it protrudes just a bit, and it took a while to loosen up a bit. This guys does pretty consistent, decent reviews, here's one on all the Manix 2 models

Old 04-03-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I am so tempted to get the blurple version in s110v. Or the burnt orange in rex45.

Contemplated on the FRN but after seeing your post it made me think twice about it
Old 04-03-2020, 10:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I am so tempted to get the blurple version in s110v. Or the burnt orange in rex45.

Contemplated on the FRN but after seeing your post it made me think twice about it
Yeah, but I'm just one guy's opinion, the GP guy apparently carries one. I had the translucent blue one, but just didn't feel good to me. Maybe I'll try it again in the future, lol.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Not seen the dodo ball, but yeah it protrudes just a bit, and it took a while to loosen up a bit. This guys does pretty consistent, decent reviews, here's one on all the Manix 2 models

Stay back! Iíll hit ďcheckout as guestĒ if you keep pushing me! Donít think I wonít!

Old 04-03-2020, 11:09 AM

Yes, that’s a Calmigo in there I’ve been eyeing.
Old 04-03-2020, 8:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

That Dodo is pretty cool looking. But $155.00 for that? That seems like a lot of money for that knife.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
That Dodo is pretty cool looking. But $155.00 for that? That seems like a lot of money for that knife.
Show me where you found it for $155

Havenít seen anything lower than $240.
Old 04-04-2020, 1:40 AM

I own over 130 Spydercos but would never by a Dodo - just not my "thing."

It's designed mainly for precise tip point cutting and short stroke slicing tasks, as you might use an Xacto blade. You could also try to use it as a SD knife but Spyderco makes alot of other knives better suited for such use.

In any event, here's what Spyderco says about it:

Spyderco receives endless comments about the Dodo's unconventional, unusual appearance. With a face only its designer could love, the Dodo fulfills many of Spyderco's design philosophies. It's a 'little big knife' that was 'designed in the dark' (and should be judged by its ergonomics) which we manufacture with top-drawer materials and features. Take our challenge -- put it in your hand, cut with it, then let us know what you think.

One of its curious features is its blade shape. Although the blade has less than two inches of cutting edge, the curved belly supplies big cutting capability and its downward-pointed tip is intended for detailed/fine cutting. The blade is laser cut from CPM S30V stock, then hollow-ground with a swedge running from the tip halfway up the spine. To create a fistful of leveraging points, the G-10 handle is fashioned in a grouping of finger choils ending in a tail. The tail becomes both a pinky shelf and a striking tool. For the Dodo specifically, Spyderco developed the Ball Bearing Lockô. It works by dropping a pea-sized ball of steel into a recess on the blade's tang, locking the blade open. Once in the recess, the ball is compressed by the open blade and can't move or wobble. A remarkably strong locking system, that rates for MBC and heavy-duty on Spyderco's lock strength scale. To unlock, pull back on the ball- accessible on both sides of the knife for left/right handed use. Flexible wire tension-clip carries ambidextrously, tip-up. Made in Golden, Colorado.

Old 04-04-2020, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
I own over 130 Spydercos but would never by a Dodo - just not my "thing."
Youíre not alone. The Dodo really seems to divide opinion, eh? I get it...to each their own. lol

As for use, the Xacto blade comparison is apt (philosophy of use = short stroke, precision slicing).

That being said, I donít want to reach for an Xacto knife for those scenarios. Iíd much rather reach for this bad boy.

Old 04-05-2020, 3:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The Dodo looks pretty cool, not really my cup of tea though. Ultimately you gotta go with what makes you happy. I just got my first Spyderco, Manix 2, absolutely love it. This whole Covid thing has really made me rethink my purchases. I usually try to buy only made in USA, but nearly impossible to do. When researching knives, I limited my searches to "Made in the USA" only. I'm sure some parts might be outsourced, but I agree " F" China. I can see this becoming as addictive as collecting guns!!!