Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 05-25-2011, 9:48 PM
Veteran Member

As of now, San Mateo is not issuing permits without significant/unusual good cause. Just be aware....
Old 05-25-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod View Post
I may move to San Mateo county. How does the SM Sheriff approach multiple firearms on the permit? As many as you can list?
"Only one weapon will be authorized..."
I see. Typical Bay Area fiat policy.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:17 PM

Can someone with current, relevant knowledge of good cause statements for San Mateo shoot me a PM? I do have some exceptional circumstances I think would be sufficient but would like to know for sure before I apply.
Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

You Are All Ambassadors, Whether You Like It Or Not

Pain is the hardest lesson to forget; Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

Bureaucracy is the epoxy that lubricates the gears of progress.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod View Post
"Only one weapon will be authorized..."
I see. Typical Bay Area fiat policy.
That's not accurate. I have more than three on my SMCSO permit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Can someone with current, relevant knowledge of good cause statements for San Mateo shoot me a PM? I do have some exceptional circumstances I think would be sufficient but would like to know for sure before I apply.
If you have any sort of heightened risk as good cause, people are getting permits.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 05-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

If you have any sort of heightened risk as good cause, people are getting permits.

-Gene
PM sent.
Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

Pain is the hardest lesson to forget; Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

Old 05-26-2011, 9:07 PM

Quote:
That's not accurate. I have more than three on my SMCSO permit.

-Gene
Good to know. Looking forward to living in San Mateo county. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-01-2011, 6:00 PM

Does the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office interview you the day you turn in your application or do they call you back another day for the interview? Also, do they fingerprint you the day you submit the application or does that happen on a different day?
Achievement of your happiness is the only moral purpose of your life, and that happiness, not pain or mindless self-indulgence, is the proof of your moral integrity, since it is the proof and the result of your loyalty to the achievement of your values. -Ayn Rand
Old 07-01-2011, 9:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag1500 View Post
Does the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office interview you the day you turn in your application or do they call you back another day for the interview? Also, do they fingerprint you the day you submit the application or does that happen on a different day?
There is only one meeting day and they tend to complete all steps (except qualifying) that day. Anyone competent can qualify after acceptance.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 07-02-2011, 6:46 AM

Quote:
There is only one meeting day and they tend to complete all steps (except qualifying) that day.
Do you have to make an appointment with them or can you just walk right in? Thanks.
Achievement of your happiness is the only moral purpose of your life, and that happiness, not pain or mindless self-indulgence, is the proof of your moral integrity, since it is the proof and the result of your loyalty to the achievement of your values. -Ayn Rand
Old 07-02-2011, 8:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Do you have to make an appointment with them or can you just walk right in? Thanks.
Drop off or Fedex/Certified Mail in your completed application and they will then call you to schedule your appointment.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 07-02-2011, 6:30 PM
Veteran Member

So when to we get shall issue?

I kid I kid, thanks for all your hard work CGF.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:31 PM

Any word on good cause statements becoming available?

And thanks for all the good work!
Old 07-03-2011, 5:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
So when to we get shall issue?

I kid I kid, thanks for all your hard work CGF.
Did you do that on purpose?

Erik.
Old 07-11-2011, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Drop off or Fedex/Certified Mail in your completed application and they will then call you to schedule your appointment.

-Gene
After the application is dropped off, do they give you a receipt showing that you submitted an application? What kind of questions do they ask you in the interview and how long does it last?

Last edited by stag1500; 07-11-2011 at 9:23 AM..
Old 07-11-2011, 6:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
After the application is dropped off, do they give you a receipt showing that you submitted an application? What kind of questions do they ask you in the interview and how long does it last?
I chose Fedex to have a record as I doubt you'll get a receipt if you drop it off personally. The interview portion is about 15 minutes - mostly a review of your application and general queries about your cause. You will then head over to fingerprinting which can take a few minutes. Budget an hour all told and you'll leave early.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 08-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
... they will then call you to schedule your appointment.
About how long, after submitting an application, does it take for them to schedule your interview?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Less than a week.

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 08-01-2011, 9:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrickel View Post
Less than a week.
I've seen it take 3 weeks.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 08-02-2011, 9:50 AM
Calguns Addict

3 weeks is surprising for just the initial phone call . . . I guess they must be flooded with applicants

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 08-02-2011, 9:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrickel View Post
3 weeks is surprising for just the initial phone call . . . I guess they must be flooded with applicants
I think vacations get in the way...

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 08-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Calguns Addict

So what are the chances of an average San Mateo resident obtaining a CCW?

What is too much color?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyca View Post
So what are the chances of an average San Mateo resident obtaining a CCW?

What is too much color?
If you have heightened cause you can get a license. "Too much color" isn't something easy to define because "color" means so many different things to different people. Some think that a speeding ticket is color while some think multiple recent police reports of strange nearly DV activity is not color....

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 08-08-2011, 12:31 AM

What's going on everyone. I just moved to San Mateo from Florida. I have my CCW for Florida, and have had it for a couple of years now. I've been doing a lot of research into getting my CCW in California, and I think I have stumbled upon the correct place!

I'm having a hard time figuring out what a "good cause" is to obtain a CCW. Some people have mentioned that self defense is good enough. Others have said they are being overly strict about the definition of "good cause". And I've also seen the phrase "heightened cause" be thrown around a bit.

I will say that I'm in not immediate danger. I have a cushy job as a software engineer in Redwood Shores. If I apply for a CCW here and list "self defense" as my reason, how far will I get?

Also, does holding a Florida CCW offer any sort of merit here? I know it's not recognized as a valid CCW in California, but will it get me out of paying for a safety course or any of that?

Thanks, and I look forward to being part of this fine community.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member

The state of carry liscenses in California is not so great. Essentially the Sheriff of each county has full discretion on who to issue or not to issue to, with no oversight whatsoever. Also, you can not apply to anoyone above the Sheriff or appeal a decison without a lawsuit through the courts.

In San Mateo the Sheriff has chosen not to issue liscenses unless you have a "hightened risk" you won't get one. (yes, this term *is* arbritrary and undefined on purpose)

I'm in the same boat you are in that I work a job at a software place, and have no direct or hightened cause, so under our current Sheriff I will not be issued a permit either.

Look into the threads on LUCC (locked unloaded container carry) as that is as close as you will get. Be aware that there is no provisions preventing your employer from firing you if you carry to your place of employment and they find out about it.

Also, your FL permit is not useful for anything in this state. It might be a good idea to keep it if you plan on vacationing outside the state.

We've been working for years to change the state of how things work here and there are a few plans in progress right now. Head over to the politics forum (the parent of this one) and take a look... be aware that only about 1% of what is going on is made public... The court cases on carry in California were filed a few years ago and are making their way up the food chain. Eventually the current system will be struck down and replaced with something more sane, but it will be a while...

Edited to add: Welcome to Calguns by the way. We aren't as gloomy as this post sounds, just the state of carry here is a sore spot for me. There are all kimds of cool things going on here and hopefully I'll run into you at a meeting or at the range sometime...

Last edited by unusedusername; 08-08-2011 at 12:54 AM..
Old 08-08-2011, 10:39 AM

Well, thanks for the info. I'm shocked at how open this state is on some things (i.e. marijuana) and how close-minded it is about weapons. First, I had to leave my M4 Carbine back in Florida, then I had to get reduced mags for my Glock, and now I can't even get a CCW. Yet, within an hour I can legally purchase an ounce of pot. I'm so baffled.
Old 08-08-2011, 6:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevHolland View Post
Well, thanks for the info. I'm shocked at how open this state is on some things (i.e. marijuana) and how close-minded it is about weapons. First, I had to leave my M4 Carbine back in Florida, then I had to get reduced mags for my Glock, and now I can't even get a CCW. Yet, within an hour I can legally purchase an ounce of pot. I'm so baffled.
Yeah it sucks and makes no sense but you can't exactly kill someone with marijuana. Not trying to justify it, just not very comparable in my opinion.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
Yeah it sucks and makes no sense but you can't exactly kill someone with marijuana. Not trying to justify it, just not very comparable in my opinion.
Oh, I couldn't agree more. I just think it's strange since almost every other state is the exact opposite. I, for one, also support the legalization of marijuana...but I want to carry my weapon while I do it.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevHolland View Post
Oh, I couldn't agree more. I just think it's strange since almost every other state is the exact opposite. I, for one, also support the legalization of marijuana...but I want to carry my weapon while I do it.
I get ya It's all BS feel good laws, people here hear "common sense" gun law and think how could anyone possibly not want these things, not know they're totally BS and infringe upon our 2nd amendment.

Welcome to California and CG!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusedusername View Post
The state of carry liscenses in California is not so great. Essentially the Sheriff of each county has full discretion on who to issue or not to issue to, with no oversight whatsoever.
*buzz* wrong. Notice the lawsuit in Merced?
Old 08-09-2011, 3:20 PM
Veteran Member

Gray,

Yes you are correct of course. There is oversight from the courts, just no non-court involving appeals process for denials. The current wave of lawsuits are exactly the thing we need to get us moving in the right direction.

I apologize for my pessimism, I should avoid posting to calguns at 2am while grumpy.

I very much appreciate the huge amount of work you have been doing for us even though you live out of state.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:28 PM

Default thanks for sharing

I am in the process of getting my application filled out... I will be very interested in how things go for you... having lived in S M co. for the past 40 yrs, it is sure encouraging to see some change and hope... I always feel so great when I cross the border into Oregon going to my place in Washington... it feels great to have that pistol on my waist! ...wishing you success!
Old 09-10-2011, 9:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Completed interview and LiveScan today. They made copies of my DL and other photo IDs.

-Still have to give them a $95 check to process the livescan...
-Still have to scan/email or fax a copy of proof of residency (electric bill, lease agreement, etc)
-Recommended a letter of recommendation from my boss simply stating he had knowledge of my application and supported it would be helpful
-Asked for further clarification of good cause to be emailed to him

Overall they were fairly friendly, helpful, and polite. Though I think I've provided more than enough "good cause" already, I will be complying with their request for further clarifications more specific and personal to show a more direct threat to myself as opposed to a general broader threat just for my occupation.
WOW! i sure don't like that^^^ I would never give them anything from my employer that is used in determining if i should or should not be able to carry concealed. LTC is a personal thing. Not really something you need to get another persons opinion on. I would not comply with their wink and nod request.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:35 AM

IMHO, it depends on who the employer is or what position the applicant holds.
It could be very relevant. We're not in a "shall issue" environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
WOW! i sure don't like that^^^ I would never give them anything from my employer that is used in determining if i should or should not be able to carry concealed. LTC is a personal thing. Not really something you need to get another persons opinion on. I would not comply with their wink and nod request.

Got ORI?

Front Sight Diamond Member
Old 09-10-2011, 11:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by code33 View Post
IMHO, it depends on who the employer is or what position the applicant holds.
It could be very relevant. We're not in a "shall issue" environment.
This "recommended letter" mirrors what CGF has fought in regards to LTC's. They recommend this letter with a wink and a nod but in fact is not a legit part of the law when applying for LTC's.

I am familiar with San Mateo! Their arms need to twisted a little tighter in my opinion!
Old 09-10-2011, 2:34 PM

Unless there's a rubber stamp just cause statement that is accepted by SM County, the applicant can decide... Twist away.

Got ORI?

Old 09-10-2011, 2:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by code33 View Post
Unless there's a rubber stamp just cause statement that is accepted by SM County, the applicant can decide... Twist away.
No twist at all. There is the law and there is dept's breaking the law. The law was made by the state to be followed the way it was written. NOT to be twisted by the sheriffs dept.

So what is your twist on the law???
Old 09-10-2011, 2:58 PM

The way it sounded to me was that it wouldn't hurt to have, not that "wink wink, if your boss says you're good to go we'll think so too". Either way, my boss knows anyway and doesn't care so it won't be a problem for me to obtain.

Old 09-10-2011, 3:18 PM

You said...

Quote:
Their arms need to twisted a little tighter in my opinion!
My response: Twist away
Meaning, go for it...

Got ORI?

Old 09-10-2011, 3:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It's happening now. I refused to give San Mateo what they wanted. at the time they didn't even want to give me an application. I look forward to seeing them have to buckle to the law and not their own ways. Giving them what they want when it's not required is only reenforcing their ideas to make it hard on all of us to get a LTC.

NOT ONE INCH!!
Old 09-21-2011, 2:26 PM

Quote:
It's happening now. I refused to give San Mateo what they wanted. at the time they didn't even want to give me an application. I look forward to seeing them have to buckle to the law and not their own ways. Giving them what they want when it's not required is only reenforcing their ideas to make it hard on all of us to get a LTC.

NOT ONE INCH!!
I agree, having experience with San Mateo. Wonder if they asked Gene the same thing....no....wait..I believe he is his own boss....recommendation from a client maybe? Sure sounds like they are looking for reason to say no. Anyway, I hope you get it.