Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-22-2013, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailedAngrMgmt View Post
Nutnfancy also does like a 30 min vid on it, I didn't know there was that much to talk about a knife.
I like Nutnfancy's reviews and I'm subscribed to his channel, but the guy could do 45 minutes on clipping his toenails...

Gratz OP on finding a knife! I picked up an SOG Flash II at the beginning of the year when I was upgrading my EDC and I'm pretty happy with it.
Old 03-22-2013, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC View Post
Cool knife, I like the glassbreaker version. Made in the USA too!

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Black-...R+GLASSBREAKER
Followed my own link and picked up this Kershaw Blur. I am usually a Benchmade man but I am impressed with the quality of the Kershaw. Got it for $65 shipped, ordered it Wednesday and had it Thursday.

Old 03-23-2013, 3:23 AM

cold steel mini lawman
Old 03-23-2013, 6:45 AM

If you're anywhere in SoCal if I'm not mistaken the largest legal knife you can carry within the City of L.A. is a 2 3/4" blade length.
Seeing as how I live in the City of L.A. I carry one of these buck knifes:

http://www.amazon.com/Buck-Nobleman-.../dp/B000VJVARC

It's 2 3/8" I think so I can stay out of trouble with LAPD just in case we cross paths.
Old 03-26-2013, 1:19 PM

+1 for spyderco, the delica 4 has been great for me
Old 03-26-2013, 3:17 PM

+1 for benchmade

I love, repeat LOVE my Doug Ritter RSK MK1 by Benchmade Everything I want in a folder and nothing I don't.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Best folder I've had and I've had quite a few. The only reason I had to buy a second one is I lost my first one.

Fixed blade? http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/
Old 03-26-2013, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin r View Post
If you're anywhere in SoCal if I'm not mistaken the largest legal knife you can carry within the City of L.A. is a 2 3/4" blade length.

It's 2 3/8" I think so I can stay out of trouble with LAPD just in case we cross paths.
If it is a folder it doesnt matter what size it is, you can carry whatever you want, pretty sure...

Last edited by BLC; 03-26-2013 at 4:10 PM..
Old 03-26-2013, 3:53 PM

I hate these darn threads, all they make me is think I need a new knife too. Well just have to say thanks a lot, ordered up a Spyderco Dragonfly 2 on Sunday with the ZDP 189 steel. Love it. Also like that its an OD green then the traditional black too.
Old 03-26-2013, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm13690 View Post
I hate these darn threads, all they make me is think I need a new knife too. Well just have to say thanks a lot, ordered up a Spyderco Dragonfly 2 on Sunday with the ZDP 189 steel. Love it. Also like that its an OD green then the traditional black too.
No Kidding, I didn't really "need" the one I just bought.
Old 03-26-2013, 7:54 PM

Default Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Admittedly I'm not a knife guy, so this is not my area of expertise. I have a Ka-Bar Mule 4" folding knife on my utility belt which I like. But I would like to get a smaller tactical knife to keep in the front pocket of my jeans or shorts. I'd like something that I can easily swing open too. Hopefully you guys can help point me in the right direction. Thanks!
I love the Ka-Bar Mule. I have two; both mounted on the shoulder straps of my backpacks (Blackhawk 3-Day Assault Pack & Blackhawk Predator Hydration Pack). They are rock solid field knives and I'm very pleased with them.

If you want a good, reliable, and inexpensive every day carry knife, why not check out the Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter? Check this out: http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/44

I have two and absolutely love them. Cheers! --1911ShooterPhil
Old 03-27-2013, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin r View Post

Blade length limits in City of LA only applies to fixed blades. But it's a misdemeanor in LA to open carry, while CA State Law it's a felony to conceal carry fixed blades. You're supposed to open carry fixed blades. I have huge 10" knive I carry openly for hiking in the mountains, but I have never been bugged by USFS or any other Rangers ever, although I have yet to see one at 10K+ feet.

Folding knife blade length doesn't matter as long as it is concealed. If asked by police, say it's a work knife, cutting open boxes, etc. Otherwise, don't say anything, and don't whip it out in front of an LEM.

I actually carry 2 knives on me at all times. A larger 3.5" - 4" folding knife clipped in my pocket, and a smaller sheeple friendly knife for simple cutting tasks in public. (I usually carry the smaller knife in my EDC man bag.) My Benchmade REI 530 is my favorite as it weighs next to nothing, actually has a pretty long blade for how small it is. But with it's smurf blue scales, no one ever gives it a second look.

Also, don't flick a knife open around sheeples in public. Just common sense stuff.

Legal reading material here:
http://www.riderzlaw.com/Motorcycle-...alifornia.aspx

Last edited by Edwood; 03-27-2013 at 4:49 AM..
Old 03-27-2013, 6:40 AM

Ka-Bar or Kershaw are excellent companies. I personally own a fixed USMC Ka-Bar and a foldable Kershaw.
A foldable blade I would not recommend, a small 4" fixed blade has less moving parts, is usually more reliable and durable.

A knife is not typically used to kill someone,
Prying things, cutting things, scrapping things are what knifes are used for. A fixed blade gives more reliability because they are built better.

Watch this and thank a veteran next time you see him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfrr3kxzJtU