Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns > Handguns Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Handguns Gallery Post your pictures of your favorite sidearm here.

Old 05-29-2013, 9:21 PM

Arrow Better than Colt Python? Korth, the legend

Some calgunners thought I’m a “collector”, however, I’m not. I just went through guns to see if I like them. I’m just sick and tired of listening to others (especially “the guy behind the counter”) saying what’s good and not. Some do not know what they’re talking about, and some, with limited experience of 1-2 firearms, speak shamelessly about what they know. I buy as many guns as I can, tried them, then decide if they’re worthy to be kept. Good thing this hobby is not as costly as cars. I can easily have more than a few at once, in addition, changing a set of grips does not cost as crazy as changing a set of rims. And it’s not as costly as sound systems either. I was a sound engineer in a Christian church for more than 10 years. I know how much a good set of speakers can cost, as well as those special “cables”, using gold or mercury.

I’m only into shotguns and handguns. You can put tons of rounds into shotguns and it will last a long time. People just don’t shoot handguns much (and I can tell approximately how many rounds have gone through the gun, just by looking at the bluing and handling marks, based on my experience with guns). On the other hand, rifles are different. Due to much higher speed of rifle rounds, one needs to replace the barrel after a few thousand rounds. Also, some people shoot rifles until the barrel gets red. Another thing with rifles is that it’s much harder to sell a rifle than a handgun.

There are some guns I’ve been looking for years. Heckler and Koch Mark 23, for example, took me approximately 10 years (unfortunately, I didn’t know the existence of Calguns until 3 years ago, or else, I would have found it earlier). It was a good gun, however, too big for my hands. Sold the Mark 23 a few months ago.

This Korth took me more than 10 years. I already forgot how long it has been, maybe 15 years or more. I can’t remember how I got into it either. Spent a long time looking for one, and the result is always nada. Just last year, I took it off my “wanted” list, telling myself that it’s impossible to find this gun in California. I even thought of the SSE way, however, didn’t want to modify a gun like this. I still remember the minute I saw the gun: I almost fell out of the chair. Then spent the next few hours trying to see how I could fund this gun. A Korth is not cheap.

Like the way I acquire other guns, I obtained the fund by selling some. Surprisingly, I was able to sell a Beretta DT10 and acquired majority of the funds. Thanks again Calguns, could not do it without the amazing speed of selling/acquiring guns from the free listing in the classified sections.

I was shocked that not a lot of people know about Korth. Being through many forums, and the majority of the question is either Sig vs HK vs Glock vs FN vs Steyer vs CZ vs whatever. I don’t want to go into the history of a company. Just keep in mind that the founder, Willi Korth, set out to make the best revolver.

Germany is well known for its steel (and/or how they forge the steel). A gunsmith I know for years, told me how difficult (and how long) it would take him to cut a HK barrel. On the other hand, when cutting through some barrels made by other companies, it was like cutting butter (I do not want to start another thread of endless thread debate, thus, won’t mention which ones here). Korth, if one googles it, s/he will easily find the following:

“All Korth Arms feature specially selected high alloy steels. For example, all important revolver components such as the frame, crane and even the sideplate are completely milled from drop forgings. After machining operations, all components are subjected to a proprietary process to achieve a surface hardness of up to 60 HRc (Rockwell c scale) … Approximately 600 individual operations are required to manufacture one revolver. Of these operations, only about 30 percent are actual machine work. The rest, all of 70 percent, are true ‘man hours’…”

Each Korth was made with precision. One chambered in .357 Magnum cannot fire the .38 Special rounds, unless you use it with a cylinder specially made for .38 Speical. Some .357 magnum revolvers were also made with a 9x19mm cylinder.

Willi Korth guaranteed the accuracy of his revolvers to maintain the same after 50,000 rounds of full-powered .357 Magnum ammo. Who else can do that?

If you google Korth, you’ll find that numerous people made measurements on several revolvers after shooting continuously hundreds of rounds. The diameter of the cylinder bores was uniform in the Korth while it varied in revolvers made by other manufacturers. Also, the barrel to cylinder gap of Korth’s remained unchanged and the gap widened in other revolvers.

Break down of cylinder: as simple as pressing a button and take it out. This is how a revolver, no matter single action or double action, should be made. Why can’t they make it simple for double action to remove the cylinder like single actions? Speaking of this, I just recalled an incident that I posted before regarding how one can remove the cylinder from a Colt Python and clean the gun very well. The same can apply to majority of Colt double action revolvers. There was a calgunner, who claimed more than 40+ years of experience with firearms, claiming I gave false information, etc. All the bull**** went away after I posted a video showing how it was done. If one can remove the cylinder from a single action for cleaning, one should remove the cylinder from a double action. Up until this moment I still don’t get, why is “timing” mentioned? If one worries about the timing of the action, then s/he should worry when opening the cylinder to reload. Taking the cylinder out won’t affect anything. Details here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=417236
Unfortunately, I don’t know if you can do it to a Smith & Wesson. I only had a Model 36 for a short period of time and I didn’t do much to the gun. Back to the topic, Korth did it. It’s very simple to take down the cylinder within 1-2 seconds. Yes, seconds!

The trigger pull of this Korth is smooth and solid. Did I mention that you can change the trigger pull by using a screw driver? You can do this on a Korth!

Enough of words, more pictures on this Korth 3-in Combat Revolver in .357 Magnum:

Last edited by fennecfrank; 05-29-2013 at 9:38 PM..
Old 05-29-2013, 9:23 PM

Old 05-29-2013, 9:28 PM
Supporting the Cause
CGN Contributor

What a beautiful revolver indeed!
Old 05-29-2013, 9:25 PM

My current .357 Magnum collection: Colt Lawman Mk III, Colt Python, and Korth Combat

As for how the Korth shoots, I have no idea yet. Haven’t got the time to be at the range. Hopefully I can update this thread soon with a range report.

Now I need to find a Manurhin MR73 and an S&W Registered Magnum…..
Old 05-29-2013, 9:26 PM

Extras:

Colt Lawman Mk III

Colt Python

Old 05-29-2013, 9:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

There is a lot of love in this write up.

Nice pics too!

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 05-29-2013, 9:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Wow!!! Very nice!!!
Old 05-29-2013, 9:32 PM

Nice collection
Old 05-29-2013, 9:32 PM

Awesome story with amazing pics! Ahh, lucky guy, deciding to part with a beautiful O/U for an even greater wheel gun! Lucky lucky man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willerfortheworld View Post
Why buy a glock, drive a Honda, and drink budlight when you can buy a cz, drive a Subaru and drink heineken?
Priceless
Old 05-29-2013, 9:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Dead sexy. Congratulations.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 05-29-2013, 9:58 PM

Thanks.

Just Saying!
From my Brain cells to your's
Old 05-29-2013, 11:30 PM

Awesome piece. I might want one too. thanks.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A real beauty! Thanks for sharing
Old 05-30-2013, 12:11 PM

Great info on the Korth as well as detailed photo's.
What's the lever 'thing' near the hammer?

On your Colts-has the trigger and hammer been changed over stock and the Python components were jeweled?
Old 05-30-2013, 6:30 PM

thank you all for the kind words!

As for the lever shown here:

it is the cylinder release.

As for the button shown here in front of the trigger, under the roll mark:

Press it to remove the cylinder from the gun.

For the Colt Python, it had the trigger job, jeweled trigger, and jeweled hammer done and sights replaced. The grips were custom made Detective Grips with finger grooves, medallions and checkering from Herrett's Stocks, Inc.
Old 05-30-2013, 7:40 PM

How much nicer is the trigger on the Pythons over stock? Is it worth it? Who did the work and how long did it take?

Doesn't removing the blueing from Python parts (trigger and hammer) devalue the gun?

Really like teh finger groove stocks, may pick up a set.
Old 05-30-2013, 9:15 PM

Unfortunately, I don't know how long it took for the work. I bought the gun "as is". According to the previous owner, Mr. Jim Hoag of Hoag Gun Works did all the work.

I think it all depends on who did the work and if anyone appreciates it and willing to pay for it. There are some guns, whose value actually appreciated, after being worked on by famous gunsmiths.

I've had close to 100 guns (sold/traded majority of them) in the past 15+ years. I can tell you that this Python has the smoothest trigger ever. In single action mode, it's smoother than my 1911's. In double action mode, I almost shed tears when I tried it: it was smooooooth!

The python was only tested fired, by Colt when it was manufactured in the year of 1980. I don't know if Mr. Jim Hoag fired it after worked on the gun. Otherwise, it was only dry-fired.

As for the stock, it was precision made. To order one, you'll need to send them a drawing of your hand and they'll make the grips based on your drawing. Previous owner ordered this set of grips, fortunately for me, it fits me very well.
Old 05-31-2013, 6:43 AM

Great thread. Thanks for sharing your amazing guns.
Old 05-31-2013, 2:48 PM

oh my goodness. that is incredible. truly a work of art.

if you have any of these that you want to sell please do send me a pm
Old 05-31-2013, 10:55 PM

thank you all.

here is a good video on youtube:

Old 05-31-2013, 11:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks for sharing! Nice gun, nice story!
Old 06-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Awesome pics OP!

Old 07-31-2013, 7:21 AM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Growing up in a German household, I was always subject to how fine the German products were. This truly takes it to a new level. Work of art sir.
Old 07-31-2013, 8:11 AM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

me likey!!!! excuse me while I wipe the drool from my screen.

a Korth has been on my list for a long time as well -- I'm jealous!!!

congratulations on a great addition to your collection. nice pictures too!
Old 07-31-2013, 8:40 AM
CGSSA Leader
CGN Contributor

Very nice to see high quality pics and narrative for very high quality revolvers. Hopefully others will use this as a guide for creating posts about their guns. Thanks OP!
Old 07-31-2013, 7:24 PM

Great thread and pics. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2013, 8:37 PM

Absolutely gorgeous!

I know, if I have to ask, I can't afford it....But ?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 PM

Beautiful. Absolutely stunning. Also want to know its cost.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

This guy does ALOT of awesome riviews!
✟ In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."✟
Old 08-01-2013, 3:31 PM

Triple Damn!!!! WOW what a collection of pure art!!!!!!! you have great taste!! I love those pics
Old 09-07-2013, 7:38 PM

Late to the party as always!

I do wonder if they used a Korth in Crossing Lines (tv series) for the revolver that the ex-NYPD guy
needed due to his bad hand?

It sure looked like a Korth in the last few episodes.

I'm sure that high cost has kept the Korth out of police hands,
if cops in Europe, even use revolvers these days?
www.cz-usa.com
Old 09-07-2013, 8:57 PM

fennecfrank, thank you very much for sharing your impressive collection of firearms here and in other threads. I find your posts interesting and informative (and quite inspirational, too) as I build out my own collection.
Old 09-12-2013, 8:21 AM

all,

thanks for the kind words.

czrami,

I searched imfdb. According to http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Crossing_Lines
it's an S&W 586.

SCAR Face,

thanks. If you're looking for one, here is one in Los Angeles: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=364456187
Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

I love clicking your threads! You have some of the coolest toys. Great photography too!
Old 09-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Banned

Nice find. I've been lusting after a Korth for a long time. Although to be honest, it's now way down on my priority list, as I'm longer shooting double action. Instead, we bought another fine example of German engineering (not made from steel, but from brass, and much much larger than a Korth).

How many Korth revolvers are there in California? Other than the OP, I only know one person in the state who owns Korths in this state (and I won't mention his name, since he is not able to participate in this forum). I don't know whether there are any in the bay area.
Old 09-22-2013, 7:41 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

thanks to a lead from fennecfrank I can now participate in this thread as well! My (new to me) 1984 Korth Combat

it's truly a work of art, fit and finish is finer than any of my other revolvers (including pythons and registered magnums). thanks again fennecfrank!
Old 09-24-2013, 6:56 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
thanks to a lead from fennecfrank I can now participate in this thread as well! My (new to me) 1984 Korth Combat

it's truly a work of art, fit and finish is finer than any of my other revolvers (including pythons and registered magnums). thanks again fennecfrank!
Das ich wunderbar!!!!!! Damn I love that and would do almost anything to score one. Alas....kids in college prohibit that right now. Maybe someday. You are VERY lucky.

PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

When pimping begins, friendship ends.

Don't let your history be a mystery
Old 09-26-2013, 8:37 AM

That's a beauty. How much did you get it for?
Glock 19 Gen3
Beretta 92FS
Daniel Defense M4V11 Milspec+
Built Troy/Spikes Zombie Carbine
Warsport LVOA-C Foliage Green