Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 PM

Default M44 Mosin Outer barrel pitting

Hey guys, I just purchased my first Mosin Nagant M44 from a fellow calgunner. Overall, the rifle is in great shape! I cleaned all the cosmoline off the metal parts, but I noticed a slight issue and hope for some insight! Underneath the handguard, the top portion of the barrel appears to have had some rust build up and caused some pitting on the barrel. I used a little scotchbrite to remove the rust, but obviously, it removed some of the bluing. Is it safe to have a gunsmith polish that section of the barrel and then re-blue the barrel? The barrel is pretty thick overall, but I wanted to verify Thanks!!
Pics:

Old 02-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

Its not unusual that a Mosin will have a rust pitting spot here and there. Seldom much of an issue. I wouldn't worry about doing anything other than applying some RIG or another type of rust preventative. Its going to be under the handguard.

For future reference, one only need to use a brass brush and solvent on a rust spot like that. The brass brush digs the rust out of the pits and it wont scrub away the bluing finish
Old 02-17-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad 11 View Post
Its not unusual that a Mosin will have a rust pitting spot here and there. Seldom much of an issue. I wouldn't worry about doing anything other than applying some RIG or another type of rust preventative. Its going to be under the handguard.

For future reference, one only need to use a brass brush and solvent on a rust spot like that. The brass brush digs the rust out of the pits and it wont scrub away the bluing finish
Ah gotcha. Thanks for the brass brush tip! I just need to have someone check the headspacing (wanna make sure its safe!), and I MIGHT need to recrown the barrel (looks a little banged up from poor handling) Hasn't been counterbored and the bore itself it super clean after i used a boresnake, solvent and a lot of patches haha. Just need to get the cosmoline off the stock sometime this week...looks kinda tedious after watching some videos lol. Cant wait to shoot this rifle!!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:54 AM

I use pledge or Murphy's oil soap to clean the stocks.
Old 02-18-2013, 1:11 AM

A while back my M44 from AIM came the same way, I just cleaned it up, put it back together. No problem
Old 02-18-2013, 6:16 AM

try shooting it before thinking about recrown.
Old 02-18-2013, 7:45 AM
Veteran Member

i have cold blue on areas that had rust . especially if you won't be seeing it as the bluing wont macth . he'll some dabs of bbq paint will work.
Old 02-18-2013, 7:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by russt View Post
try shooting it before thinking about recrown.
+1.

The pitting is not deep enough to worry about. I wouldn't try to smooth it down as you'll only be reducing the diameter of your barrel further. Clean it up and as mentioned put RIG on it or cold blue it yourself.

Headspace is almost NEVER an issue on Mosin Nagants. Like .001% of almost never. If you're worried, shoot first round from the hip at the range and look at the brass for any bulging. The action of a MN is one of the strongest made and can handle a kaboom (though having it shouldered, it'll blast gas in your face).

Go enjoy your rifle with peace of mind.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 02-18-2013, 1:54 PM
Mod without thumbs
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Shoot it the rust does`t look bad. I wouldn't try polishing not worth it. It`s a military rifle the rust spot gives it character.
Old 02-18-2013, 6:11 PM

I think I'm gonna just put the rust preventative on it, do a little touch up blue and call it good. Gonna focus on the stock and bolt Just gotta find ammo that my shooting range let's me use
Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 PM

I have a 91/30 junker that has similar imperfections on the barrel that lies hidden beneath the handguard. I only discovered them when I put the barreled action into a Monte Carlo stock. They caused me now problem, that this is still my trusty beat-me-up tack driver.
Old 02-19-2013, 8:10 PM

^^ Good to know! I'm gonna put some rush inhibitor on it and cold blue it and call it good. Gonna refinish the original stock and keep it that way so it will always be covered