Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 7:35 PM

Default GSG 1911 Misfire Solved

I have a new GSG 1911 .22 cal handgun which has misfired from the beginning. It started with light hammer strikes, on the rim of the case, after the first few rounds. I chose to send it back to ATI. Three weeks later I got it back. It was exactly as it was before. It misfired on the fifth or sixth round, and every round after that. It was claimed there was debris in the chamber, and once that was removed, the gun fired perfectly. I will not argue with ATI as they seem to be a good group of folks, but the gun certainly was not functioning correctly.

So, I decided to spend the time taking the bolt housing out, and inspect the firing pin for warp and length. It was flat, and the correct length as I had a new firing pin to compare it to. I reassembled the firing pin assembly and put the entire gun back together. I decided to take it to an indoor range to test it out.

I'm going to fast forward to what I found. The gun will not fire unless the slide is all the way forward, period. I found after the first few rounds were fired, the side would not fully engage forward (it was not a spring issue!). If I pushed the back of the slide forward with my thumb, it would fire every time. So, I found out the ejector was slightly twisted, and it was rubbing on the notch on the rear of the chamber (or barrel) on the right side. It was obvious the notch had some abrasion from where the ejector mates with the notch. So, I took a small needle nose plyer and straightened the ejector, then lightly filed the notch with a jewelers file, just enough to allow the ejector not to rub on the top of the notch where the abrasion was noticed. Now it works as it should have.

I'm sure I am not the only one with this problem. I thought I would share this as a possible solution if it applies to you.

P.S. It is a great gun even with this issue!
Old 04-10-2013, 7:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Wow I think that's exactly what my problem is. I'm gonna have to take a look at it after work today to see if my ejector is messed up.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:11 AM

Have you had a proproblem with it failing to feed correctly. I clean my guns after each trip to the range. Doesn't matter if I shoot 50 or 500 I always clean them. But I seem to be getting a lot of failure to feeds when I'm shooting, usually around 30 to 40 rounds in. I take a little brush out clean the feed ramp and then its good for a few more mags then I have to repeat the process all over again. Have you or anyone else he'd this issue before?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:51 AM

I have this EXACT same issue... although, I can't tell by looking at the extractor that it is bent. Did you remove the extractor from the slide to straighten it?
Old 01-31-2014, 5:23 PM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

I've had the same issue as well. Except my extractor is straight, so I have a feeling the tolerances aren't just quite right. I do see the extractor rubbing against the top portion of the notch in the barrel.