Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 09-12-2018, 6:38 AM
Veteran Member

Default CA CCW "listed guns" req in other states

CA's CCW is only valid when carrying the guns listed on the permit.

When traveling to another state that does not list guns on permits, do those restrictions still apply? (I'm guessing that from a LEO perspective they wouldn't, but it could be a problem in court if you had to use it?)

(A non-resident permit like Florida that doesn't list guns and is recognized is obviously a good workaround, just curious.)
Old 09-12-2018, 6:44 AM
Calguns Addict

My $0.02..in other states (freedom states) as long as you have a state permit or reciprocity then your GTG, as other states do not really give a crap about listed weapon on your permit like CA

Now I could be wrong, & will be call on it if I am.
Old 09-12-2018, 8:16 AM
Veteran Member

I think that if a state that accepts a LTC from Ca. only the guns listed on the permit are good. However if I were to use a Utah ccw in a state that accepts it, I could use any hand gun that I legally possess. I.E. I take a trip to Va and my brother hands me one of his had guns to borrow while I am in his state. If I have a Utah ccw I am legal to carry that gun in Va.
Old 09-12-2018, 5:45 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Since it's nearly impossible to make heads/tails of CA's ridiculous laws (and how other states might interpret them), get an AZ non-resident CCW and carry what you want.
Old 09-12-2018, 6:55 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

IIRC, that's up to the state where you are at the time. Some seem to say 'your out of state permit is good if you follow all your state's rules, and our state's rules.'

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-12-2018, 7:30 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

The permit says it is only valid with the listed guns. I wouldn’t test it. If you are in a constitutional carry state, you don’t need a permit to carry so you are good to go.

I would (and have) get another permit like AZ if you want to carry an unlisted gun out of state. An AZ permit is like $60/5 yrs and you get it by mail if you have CA CCW already.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:05 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
The permit says it is only valid with the listed guns. I wouldn’t test it. If you are in a constitutional carry state, you don’t need a permit to carry so you are good to go.

I would (and have) get another permit like AZ if you want to carry an unlisted gun out of state. An AZ permit is like $60/5 yrs and you get it by mail if you have CA CCW already.
What he said.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 09-13-2018, 7:13 AM

Quote:
If you are in a constitutional carry state, you don’t need a permit to carry so you are good to go.

Depends on the state - some are constitutional carry for residents only.
Old 09-23-2018, 1:44 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmc View Post
Depends on the state - some are constitutional carry for residents only.
And probably every one of those states recognize AZ's permit so why not pay the lousy $60 and put your mind at ease?
Old 10-23-2018, 2:40 PM

If you ever travel to the south get a FL licence. It's 102 for 7 years. They do require training but if you already have you CA ccw then you've already done the training. The only difference between the AZ and FL permit is you also get FL. All the other states are the same.
Old 10-23-2018, 2:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

The only state ive really looked at is Tennessee. Their statute says an OOS permittee must carry in compliance with their own stste laws and Tennessees laws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 10-23-2018, 4:30 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

For when I travel back to the motherland of Detroit to visit my family still there, I know for a fact that Michigan will only honor any other states "Resident" Concealed Carry License. Any other states 'Non-Resident' CCW/ CHL license is not recognized in Michigan according to the Michigan State Police.

Plus when in Michigan you have to follow the terms of your State Resident CCW/ CHL License issuing agency, and any conditions on it... So with my California License To Carry A Concealed Firearm, while in Michigan I am limited to the three weapons that are listed on it.
Old 10-26-2018, 7:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

I honestly think most free states don’t care what you carry. It’s more on the matter of work restrictions. If CA issued you a work-related permit, you can’t carry in their state. Unless the LEO knows every recognized states’ CCW laws, he’s not going to blink twice about you carrying a listed versus non-listed gun.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 10-26-2018, 7:44 PM
Señor Member

Quote:

My feeling as well.

Also be aware of restrictions in other states.
Example: New Mexico, like CA, lists permitted guns. They don't recognize CA, but do recognize AZ and other states that do not list. HOWEVER... New Mexico does not permit the concealed carry of more than one gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-15-2018, 7:22 PM

Default florida

so how would a californian with a ccw here get florida? do training in FL or exempt since california permit already... need a hand here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike88 View Post
If you ever travel to the south get a FL licence. It's 102 for 7 years. They do require training but if you already have you CA ccw then you've already done the training. The only difference between the AZ and FL permit is you also get FL. All the other states are the same.
Old 11-15-2018, 7:56 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp5marley View Post
so how would a californian with a ccw here get florida? do training in FL or exempt since california permit already... need a hand here.
DD214 if they were in the military, or any NRA class with a certificate signed by the instructor.
Unlike AZ, they do not accept a copy of your CA CCW as evidence of training.
If your CCW instructor for California is also an NRA instructor, you MAY be able to get a cert from him, otherwise, take Basic Pistol.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-15-2018, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp5marley View Post
My CA CCW instructor is a nra licensed instructor. He offers multi state classes FL, AZ & UT. For a 20 or 30 dollars we went over other state laws and he gave me a copy of his instructor license, took passport photos and rolled prints. So in one 12 hour day I had almost everything needed for 4 CCWs. You'll have to get fingerprint cards from FL and they HAVE to be rolled by a LE agency.

I had my CA CCW before I applied out of state and included a copy of it with my applications. This wasn't really necessary because no one has reciprocity with CA but I figured it would only help my application.

Here's the link for the FL training.

https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Con...-Documentation

Good luck
Old 11-15-2018, 10:06 PM

I've never understood the desire to carry different firearms that is not one of those listed on your permit when traveling to other states. Is transporting your EDC gun the issue?

I will admit I have 3 guns on my permit, but I carry my main pistol all the time. I practice with that often. I have a second pistol on there as a backup and I practice with that as well but its not carried unless my EDC is down (yet to happen). The third gun is a camp/hike GP100 as I am worried about large predators rather than people. That gets some practice.

Other than those reasons, I don't understand the desire to carry some strange gun that you are not familiar with at all.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:11 PM
Calguns Addict

I can carry darn near anything I want with mine. Ours don't list anything at all, just says were approved to carry.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 11-16-2018, 12:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
I've never understood the desire to carry different firearms that is not one of those listed on your permit when traveling to other states. Is transporting your EDC gun the issue?

I will admit I have 3 guns on my permit, but I carry my main pistol all the time. I practice with that often. I have a second pistol on there as a backup and I practice with that as well but its not carried unless my EDC is down (yet to happen). The third gun is a camp/hike GP100 as I am worried about large predators rather than people. That gets some practice.

Other than those reasons, I don't understand the desire to carry some strange gun that you are not familiar with at all.

Does the 1A grant you freedom of speech but you can’t use profanity? Does the 2A grant you the right to bear only three arms? I agree that you should familiarize yourself with the weapons you carry. That doesn’t mean we can’t have options. I like to carry my AR pistol in a backpack on my passenger seat when I go on long road trips. I don’t have a CA permit but if I did I wouldn’t be able to put my AR pistol on it.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 11-16-2018, 8:12 AM

I strongly recommend getting the Utah, Florida, and Arizona permits in addition to your California permit. All 3 are fairly cheap and easy to obtain.

You would be able to carry in 37 states with these permits. Arizona does not actually add any states if you have the other two, but it is good to have as reciprocity/recognition is subject to change with little to no notice.

However, this scenario could still be an issue in Michigan. Michigan accepts every state's permit as long as you are a resident of the state that issued the permit. This means your California permit lets you carry in Michigan, but none of the other permits will work there. My recommendation in Michigan would be to follow the rules of your California permit in addition to the laws of the state of Michigan (whatever is stricter).

As many people have said, be careful with constitutional carry. Some states (Idaho, North Dakota, Wyoming) require you to be a resident. Others have restrictions on how you can carry. For example, Mississippi requires the gun be in a bag (or similar), or in a belt or shoulder holster. This means ankle holsters are not allowed in Mississippi without a permit. There are also more restrictions on where you can carry, etc.

Reciprocity, Recognition, and laws can be extremely confusing. If you ever have questions, feel free to contact me.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 11-16-2018, 10:05 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whites of Their Eyes View Post
Reciprocity, Recognition, and laws can be extremely confusing. If you ever have questions, feel free to contact me.
Absolutely.
And laws change all the time.
Prior to any road trip, I always double check the Android apps "CCW", "Legal Heat", and "Concealed Carry Laws"
Some times the apps are in conflict. I've found that sometimes they give a guidance that is based on permitless carry, but the apps all provide references to the individual state laws so you can go directly to the "horse's mouth" to clarify anything that is confusing.

Quote:
Old 11-16-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Absolutely.
And laws change all the time.
Prior to any road trip, I always double check the Android apps "CCW", "Legal Heat", and "Concealed Carry Laws"
Some times the apps are in conflict. I've found that sometimes they give a guidance that is based on permitless carry, but the apps all provide references to the individual state laws so you can go directly to the "horse's mouth" to clarify anything that is confusing.
Absolutely! The apps are all good, but they are not always 100% accurate since laws change. They are a good starting point, but I always suggest checking directly with the state. When Pennsylvania stopped accepting the NH permit, the fastest app/site I saw make the change was usacarry.com and they took about 2 weeks!

One thing I do not suggest is contacting a law enforcement agency. I was a police officer for nine years and am not bashing cops at all, but not all cops know gun laws that well. When I was 21 and new to California, I called CHP to find out how to transport my handgun. I was told to unload it and lock it in the glovebox. As you likely know, that is actually illegal (without a CCW).

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 11-16-2018, 12:38 PM

I asked a Sheriff in Kentucky and he said he didn’t care. TN HCP class this year said follow the rules of the issuing State, but suspect they wouldn’t fuss over it. Carry is pretty easygoing here.
Old 11-16-2018, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahrMan View Post
I asked a Sheriff in Kentucky and he said he didn’t care. TN HCP class this year said follow the rules of the issuing State, but suspect they wouldn’t fuss over it. Carry is pretty easygoing here.
I think the OP recognizes that, but is more worried about if something happens.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 11-16-2018, 5:16 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt Leatherneck View Post
For when I travel back to the motherland of Detroit to visit my family still there, I know for a fact that Michigan will only honor any other states "Resident" Concealed Carry License. Any other states 'Non-Resident' CCW/ CHL license is not recognized in Michigan according to the Michigan State Police.

Plus when in Michigan you have to follow the terms of your State Resident CCW/ CHL License issuing agency, and any conditions on it... So with my California License To Carry A Concealed Firearm, while in Michigan I am limited to the three weapons that are listed on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whites of Their Eyes View Post
I strongly recommend getting the Utah, Florida, and Arizona permits in addition to your California permit. All 3 are fairly cheap and easy to obtain.

You would be able to carry in 37 states with these permits. Arizona does not actually add any states if you have the other two, but it is good to have as reciprocity/recognition is subject to change with little to no notice.

However, this scenario could still be an issue in Michigan. Michigan accepts every state's permit as long as you are a resident of the state that issued the permit. This means your California permit lets you carry in Michigan, but none of the other permits will work there. My recommendation in Michigan would be to follow the rules of your California permit in addition to the laws of the state of Michigan (whatever is stricter).

As many people have said, be careful with constitutional carry. Some states (Idaho, North Dakota, Wyoming) require you to be a resident. Others have restrictions on how you can carry. For example, Mississippi requires the gun be in a bag (or similar), or in a belt or shoulder holster. This means ankle holsters are not allowed in Mississippi without a permit. There are also more restrictions on where you can carry, etc.

As I posted above in #12 in this thread about Michigan - I have to go with the three weapon limit on my California 'Resident' License To Carry A Concealed Firearm while CCWing in Michigan.

Michigan has no limitations on any handguns for their "Concealed Pistol License".

https://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,...0926--,00.html

Plus there are no limitations on the number or types of pistols or revolver firearms allowed on my Oregon Non-Resident Concealed Handgun License either....
Old 11-16-2018, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt Leatherneck View Post
As I posted above in #12 in this thread about Michigan - I have to go with the three weapon limit on my California 'Resident' License To Carry A Concealed Firearm while CCWing in Michigan.

Michigan has no limitations on any handguns for their "Concealed Pistol License".

https://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,...0926--,00.html

Plus there are no limitations on the number or types of pistols or revolver firearms allowed on my Oregon Non-Resident Concealed Handgun License either....
Sorry, I did not see your original post about Michigan...or Humboldt Leatherneck's! I failed today haha

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900