Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:28 AM

Default Your "overheard" stories and just kept your mouth shut and listened

Have you ever listened to people telling tall tell stories of their military career? I am sure most of you have. I was recently at a gun store in my hometown and I was just perusing through their overpriced guns. Anyway, two customers were talking to one of the employees who was behind the counter. The range of the conversation was from politics to guns. When the topic of military came up, the employee proudly claimed that he was a combat veteran. When the customer asked what branched he had served in, the employee said Air Force. The customer seemed impressed and thanked him for his service. Then he asked the employee what his MOS was and the employee just said, "Well I was pretty much in the special forces"... that's when my ear twitched and zoned in on the conversation without being too noticeable. The employee proceeded to say how he was behind enemy lines before even the "useless Marines and the ****ed up Army" guys went into Iraq. He even boasted about beating up Marines at their own base. The funny thing is, this employee did not look any older than 21 years old. I don't believe for a second that this gentleman was ever in OIF I or in the "pretty much special forces" of the air force. I didn't approach the gentlemen and question him because it's not the kind of conversation I want to get with anyone. Even if he did serve in the AF, I don't think embellishing on his service is appropriate in order to impress anyone. Plus its not he is stealing valor.

What about you guys? ever overheard anyone anywhere in public either making up military careers to impress people?
For a combat soldier, the difference between success and failure is your ability to adapt to your enemy. The people that we deal with, they don't care about the rules. All they care about is a result. My job is to stop them from completing their objective, at all costs.

Last edited by coyote43g; 07-31-2014 at 6:36 PM..
Old 07-31-2014, 11:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Overpriced guns? Humm, I'm guessing it's a shop in Simi with a poor excuse for a cannon in front of it. Right?
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 07-31-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Overpriced guns? Humm, I'm guessing it's a shop in Simi with a poor excuse for a cannon in front of it. Right?
Not quite. It is a valley, just not Simi. Hahaha.
For a combat soldier, the difference between success and failure is your ability to adapt to your enemy. The people that we deal with, they don't care about the rules. All they care about is a result. My job is to stop them from completing their objective, at all costs.
Old 07-31-2014, 1:05 PM
Veteran Member

Sigh...you'd be amazed how many SF sniper clerks I've met in my career
Old 07-31-2014, 5:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I hate when some claims to be SF. since I had the privilege of working with them people that make this stuff up are just stupid and as usual have no idea what they are talking about.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-31-2014, 8:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote43g View Post
the employee just said, "Well I was pretty much in the special forces"...
There was a guy in my Police Academy like that. He was the only one KICKED out, others failed out, others quit. He got kicked out from lying. He was the biggest S-bag I've ever met.

He said he was a PJ. Yes, he was in the Air Force, and yes, that MOS was in his contract. However, he only was in 6 months, and didn't make it out of TRADOC. That doesn't make him a PJ in real life.

I deployed in support of SF. I'm surrounded by them. They are like any other MOS in the military, but have a lot more continuous training, and have dealt with a lot more BS to get there (physically and mentally).

The manner in which they conduct themselves is largely no different than anyone else in life who has accomplished legit things that aren't easy. Those that are SF are a quality of person that wouldn't let themselves end up behind a counter of a gun shop unless they OWNED the place.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

I met a dude who was talking about being in force recon. Turns out he was in motor t for force recon. Sometimes you just have to let it go because they know they are losers.
Old 08-01-2014, 1:15 PM

I just tend to not give a crap about people like that...As much as it irks me, I'd rather not even give them the time of day and get all bent over someone else trying to be a hi speed. I work with a Self Proclaimed prior service "combat veteran" but when I first met him and asked simple questions such as OIF or OEF and what year as well as what was your AO, there is not a direct answer, it pisses me off to no end but Like I said, let the blue falcons and dirt bags lead the way back home...

RIP SGT Carlo "Eugie" Eugenio

KIA 29 OCT 2011 Camp Phoenix, Kabul, AFG
Old 08-01-2014, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer666 View Post
I just tend to not give a crap about people like that...As much as it irks me, I'd rather not even give them the time of day and get all bent over someone else trying to be a hi speed. I work with a Self Proclaimed prior service "combat veteran" but when I first met him and asked simple questions such as OIF or OEF and what year as well as what was your AO, there is not a direct answer, it pisses me off to no end but Like I said, let the blue falcons and dirt bags lead the way back home...
yea, same goes for me. Even in college, I've heard students who claim vet status and they always tell stories. If its true, cool, but I really try not to talk about these type of things unless I am talking to another vet. I don't want to be one of those guys who keeps telling stories that starts with "and there I was.....".
Old 08-02-2014, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Sigh...you'd be amazed how many SF sniper clerks I've met in my career
Old 08-02-2014, 6:59 AM

But I thought everyone was a Force Recon Green Beret SEAL PJ Ranger from SFOD-Delta Sniper. But then Killed so many people that they were forced out and became gun store clerks, range officers, or the deadly internet commando.
Old 08-02-2014, 7:06 AM

Haha I deny being in the military if people ask for the most part. I've been asked when floatin down the river, because of my "Cali style" lol. I just tell them I'm a college student. Or a professional dodgeball player. Or google skydiver
Old 08-02-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain82 View Post
I met a dude who was talking about being in force recon. Turns out he was in motor t for force recon. Sometimes you just have to let it go because they know they are losers.
I met a guy like that in Afghanistan last year. I found out he was a Marine so we started talking, asked him what he did and he says recon from Pendleton. I have several good friends that are recon so i started asking him who he knew, he quickly changed his tune and tells me he was a motor t mech for recon.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:06 AM

So there I was, Camp Leatherneck, and the PX only had one can of dip left. Oh the humanity!
Old 08-02-2014, 2:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

One time the steam table broke and we couldn't get hot steaks for dinner.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 08-02-2014, 5:27 PM
Veteran Member

Funny stuff indeed
Old 08-02-2014, 10:14 PM
Banned

Last edited by Anthracis; 11-11-2014 at 3:46 AM..
Old 08-03-2014, 9:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

When I worked for an FFL, I heard it all. I think I started a thread around here years ago about "oh yeah, I'm Special Forces!" Usually it's an overweight early twenties who claim SF and have the MOS wrong.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:53 PM
Calguns Addict

One of the guys at work told me he had his dad's m16 from the army. He said his dad joined in 73, went to Vietnam and they let him have his weapon when he got out. I joined in 73, they weren't sending people to Vietnam for the most part and The army didn't let you take full auto weapons home. I didn't say much. My partner asked me what I thought of the story. I told him it was all BS.
Old 08-04-2014, 6:40 AM

An army vet friend of mine and I got suckered into going to one of those MLM bull**** (Primerica, PHP, etc, etc) and we were meeting some people. The "employees" there were introducing themselves and asking us about our background. So the conversation went like this.

employee: so what's your background
my friend: my friend and I are prior military vets.
employee: oh yea me too, what branch?
my friend: I was in the army and he was in the Marines
employee: I was in the army too!
me: what branch?
employee: I was in the Army coast guard

As soon as we heard that, my friend and I looked at each other.

my friend: what was your MOS?
employee: I was in the supply and once in a while I was in the law office
me: WHat was your rank?
employee: I was a little colonel.
me: *trying to ascertain his accent* what rank was that again?
employee: little colonel
me: you mean lieutenant colonel?
employee: no, little colonel.
my friend: So, what exactly is your MOS?
employee: I was in logistics but sometimes in the law office
my friend: I thought you said you were in supply?
me: so are you a jag officer then?
employee: yes, supply and sometimes in the law office.
my friend: No offense, but if you're gonna lie about a service just to impress someone into signing up into your fake *** company, I suggest you at least do your research about the military.

My friend and I began to walk out of the building and another employee (apparently someone in charge) came after us and asked why we were leaving.

supervisor: Hey guys, where are you going? Meeting is about to start.
my friend: Yea... no.. we don't like being lied to about military service.
supervisor: What do you mean? who lied to you guys?
me: One of your employees was telling us about his military service and he obviously wasn't. My friend and I can't work for a company who 1) has to pay money to get into and 2) employees who lies to potential new employees about service to our nation in order to impress them. No thanks

we walked off. Never again will I ever attend a "business opportunity" again, especially MLMs.
Old 08-04-2014, 6:42 AM

^^ that was one of those times that I didnt keep my mouth shut.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
I hate when some claims to be SF. since I had the privilege of working with them people that make this stuff up are just stupid and as usual have no idea what they are talking about.
I can confirm. Living with an ODA from 7th Group was one of the coolest experiences I've ever had.

I've had one case of someone blatantly lying about service to me. I was at the gym and a dude in his early 20s came up to me and asked if I was in the military. I asked him why and he pointed at the KIA bracelet I wear. I figured he was in himself or at least knew someone who was in to recognize what it was. I told him I used to be in the Army and when he asked what MOS I told him 11b.

He says that he is in the Army and I asked what MOS. He said an MOS I had never heard of before, not that that's a red flag or anything as I only know a handful of the "popular" ones. I asked if he was in the NG being that he is currently in and working out at a gym nowhere near a military base and he said yes.

Knowing that I was an 11b with a KIA bracelet on this dude had the nerve to tell me he was in Kuwait and got into a 12 hour firefight there. He said he ran out of ammo so he grabbed a "mortar gun" and started shooting rounds.

I Bertstared him and walked away. I've seen him a few times since and he looks away when we make eye contact. I've been to Kuwait. You don't carry weapons there. There is little to no security. I don't doubt he was in the NG but to flat out lie about service is disgusting.
Old 08-04-2014, 1:13 PM
Veteran Member

I think one of my bosses is lying or at least stretching the truth a bit. told me he was with MARSOC but the timelines don't seem to match up. he was in the same time I was and was boot even then on a first pump when I was finishing my last. so at most he was fap'ed over as some sort of supply or something (he was a grunt). I would possibly believe him but since MARSOC was nothing but Force guys in 06 and then seasoned recon guys after that there is no way he would have been straight leg during 06-08 time frame to instant MARSOC.
Old 08-05-2014, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkwayDrive View Post
Knowing that I was an 11b with a KIA bracelet on this dude had the nerve to tell me he was in Kuwait and got into a 12 hour firefight there. He said he ran out of ammo so he grabbed a "mortar gun" and started shooting rounds.

I Bertstared him and walked away. I've seen him a few times since and he looks away when we make eye contact. I've been to Kuwait. You don't carry weapons there. There is little to no security. I don't doubt he was in the NG but to flat out lie about service is disgusting.
Reminds me of a friend of mine. His wife tells him she was in some big firefight as Air Force Security at Kuwait.

I've heard plenty of Air Force folks who are Security Forces(air field gate guards basically) say when asked what mos they were, "Air Force SF." I find that horribly deceiving to say to an inquisitive person because the average person associates SF as Special Forces, and not Security Forces. To me, it's duping them over to believe they're something they are not.
Old 08-06-2014, 9:27 AM

some of the best "stories" are written on blanketed awards.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Bforme View Post
some of the best "stories" are written on blanketed awards.
So no **** there I was, performing my strenuous MWR guard duties, struggling to kick soldiers off while managing the growing crowd waiting their turn when I heard what sounded like a thud. Some of the guys in line ran out to inspect, but I kept my composure, maintaining my list and time sheet. Suddenly, a soldier came in and said we were taking IDF. I grabbed my M16A2 with no attachments and a mag pouch on the buttstock and ordered everyone out, ensuring I had accountability of all computers and phones. I made sure everyone was out before I abandoned my command post. I never left a fallen computer.

Days later I stood in formation, waiting my turn to be pinned my CAB, standing in silence for all of the bandwidth that was wasted due to the fierce firefight.
Old 08-06-2014, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkwayDrive View Post
So no **** there I was, performing my strenuous MWR guard duties, struggling to kick soldiers off while managing the growing crowd waiting their turn when I heard what sounded like a thud. Some of the guys in line ran out to inspect, but I kept my composure, maintaining my list and time sheet. Suddenly, a soldier came in and said we were taking IDF. I grabbed my M16A2 with no attachments and a mag pouch on the buttstock and ordered everyone out, ensuring I had accountability of all computers and phones. I made sure everyone was out before I abandoned my command post. I never left a fallen computer.

Days later I stood in formation, waiting my turn to be pinned my CAB, standing in silence for all of the bandwidth that was wasted due to the fierce firefight.
HAHAHA
Old 08-07-2014, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member

I would have thought the one guy was a poser were he and I not down range

Air Force captain with un-bloused pants and his flag on the wrong arm. He was around other USAF personnel and he was the only one out of sync.
Old 08-21-2014, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain82 View Post
I think one of my bosses is lying or at least stretching the truth a bit. told me he was with MARSOC but the timelines don't seem to match up. he was in the same time I was and was boot even then on a first pump when I was finishing my last. so at most he was fap'ed over as some sort of supply or something (he was a grunt). I would possibly believe him but since MARSOC was nothing but Force guys in 06 and then seasoned recon guys after that there is no way he would have been straight leg during 06-08 time frame to instant MARSOC.
possible he was marsoc at that time. I was out on recruiting at that time and did have one of my recruits who went recon option end up getting screened and fed into marsoc as a boot. this was in late 07 or early 08 cant remember which. they were just beginning to put boots in at that point.

posers suck but I just ignore them for the most part. Its not worth it with most of them.
Old 08-23-2014, 9:34 AM

One time the cappuccino machine in the galley broke... For 5 weeks!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2014, 2:01 PM
Veteran Member

The tallest tales Ive heard were from other servicemembers exaggerating the **** out of the service, or trying to get pity/impress civilians.

Mind you, not every awesome tale Ive heard was fabricated, there have been plenty I am sure were 100% legit or maybe even toned down because a teller of the story is down to earth and humble. And its usually really easy to tell which is which because the real stories have to be coaxed from people (who wants to relive that ****), the guys dying to tell you are the ones making **** up.
Old 08-25-2014, 2:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

One time, after hours of hand-to-hand combat, I defeated at least 20 ghost turds! Phew.
Old 08-25-2014, 2:40 PM

I remember going to the old Pomona shows (you old timers will know which I'm talking about).

Met a "gent" who was a former "SEAL". The gent must of have been 25 or so, slightly "rotund" and wearing a dirty wife beater with camo pants and sneakers.

He then proceeded to regale me with his exploits in the SEALs in an attempt to sell me the gun he was trying to get rid of. Told me he used it throughout his entire time with the SEALs and it was his "backup" for room clearing.

I had the hardest time suppressing my laughter out of respect for our "service veterans". I declined to buy the gun and left.

Incidently the gun he was trying to sell was a CHROMED OUT Cobray M-11. Apparently they never jam, are super accurate and do very well in water and sand enviroments. LOL
Old 08-25-2014, 3:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoint View Post
the guys dying to tell you are the ones making **** up.
I always hate hearing this BS line. Everyone is different, there is no blanket to throw on every person. In my experience, most guys don't talk about it to people they don't know or trust (myself being one of them). However, there are plenty of guys who enjoy talking about it.

One of my best friends who was with me through everything is one of them. He doesn't boast about it in that sort of way, that's just his personality. If it gets brought up he doesn't mind talking about it.

I don't even like talking about my time in the Army (garrison or deployment) to people I don't know, but get me together with the dudes in my platoon and I'll yap for hours.

How reluctant or willing someone is to talk about something does not mean anything.
Old 08-25-2014, 3:43 PM

I met this idiot several years ago in a cafe while I was waiting to get served. He had a ball cap that said Marines. The topic turned to work, and when he heard I was active Army, he said he was in the Marines. Then he said they tried to send him to Vietnam but he didn't want to go. That seemed fishy enough, so I asked him what year that was. "oh, about 1977" I then told him US involvement in Vietnam ended in 75, to which he answered, oh, musta been bout 75. Also, he was gay and every time I saw him he would make half *** passes and googly eyes at me. Ugh. *shudder*
Old 08-25-2014, 4:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've never met someone who was a SF servicemember of any branch. Know why? They either don't feel the need to talk about it, don't want to talk about it, or aren't allowed to talk about it. Anyone who enthusiastically talks about being behind enemy lines and how cool it was and how much of a badass they are is lying through their teeth 99% of the time.

Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.
Old 08-25-2014, 4:09 PM

All of the military veteran BS's and liars should be forced to wear "Tapout" shirts...

Last edited by Prowler; 08-25-2014 at 4:17 PM..
Old 08-25-2014, 6:44 PM

I did 10years active Navy as an Aircraft mechanic and now in the AF Reserves. I was sent to school for my new job (Aircrew Flight Equipment). We deal with life preservers, Night vision goggles, body armor, issue M9's, aircrew helmets, parachutes and that type of stuff. Anyways there was a E-5 instructor who was talking about his time in Afghanistan. He told me an E-5 and the new boots in my class that he was in so good with the Airforce Tac Ops(SF) that they would take him on missions to raid villages and take prisoners. They would just leave him in the back of the hummer as they went inside the buildings.... I wanted to call BS so bad but didn't want to fail the school. Lol
Old 08-25-2014, 7:03 PM

I rode PBR's out of CanTho. We were always being asked about captured flags everybody wanted to bring one home. Vic Trantham and I went down to the town and a sweat shop called Morleys tailors. Had him make up 75 VC flags and we then towed them behind the boat on patrol until they looked the part.

Our best customers were Air Force. heck they had a EM club a real building EM club with slot machines. They had real milk and ice cream.

How many stories have been told to people here in the US is hard to figure but I know for a fact if everybody who said they were in Vietnam actually were Vic and I could have stayed home.

I served in one war and 37 skivvey houses.

Bill
Old 08-25-2014, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterrell View Post
I've never met someone who was a SF servicemember of any branch. Know why? They either don't feel the need to talk about it, don't want to talk about it, or aren't allowed to talk about it. Anyone who enthusiastically talks about being behind enemy lines and how cool it was and how much of a badass they are is lying through their teeth 99% of the time.

Not true. My coworker is a super laid back prior service Army Third Group guy, doesn't mind talking about how much $$$$ he was making as a contractor, talking about different SF facets, cool equipment they used etc

Some people are more open than others as the other guy stated. It's obvious when someone is making up a tall tale though