Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 08-09-2019, 10:20 PM

Default Romanian vs. Yugoslavian Tokarev

I am interested in buying a C&R Tokarev but I'm not sure which one to buy. For those who have these pistols, I was wondering to get your input about them.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:29 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

The Yugo has a longer grip, one extra round. So it takes Yugo specific magazines.

The nice thing about the Yugo though is some of them were imported with trigger safeties and not frame safeties, making them easy to restore to original condition.

But the Yugo is harder to find as a C&R.

I have both, like them both. The standard Calguns answer is, you should get both

Here is my Romanian TTC

...and my C&R Yugo M57 showing the trigger modified with a Glock style trigger safety to be eligible for import. I have since replaced the trigger with a factory original.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 08-09-2019 at 10:31 PM..
Old 08-09-2019, 10:41 PM

I just got a M57 with the Glock style trigger safety. I like to not have the external safety.

Antelope Valley grown, now State of Jefferson transplant.
Old 08-10-2019, 1:35 AM

I have a Romy with the ugly safety. First thing I did when I got it home was pop that abomination off. I prefer the Yugo slightly over the Romy, but for no reason in particular.
Old 08-10-2019, 4:14 AM

I had both of them but sold the Romy because I didn't like the safety and the Yugo mag is larger. My Yugo has a 1911 style safety instead of the trigger safety. Functionally I found them both to be the same.
Old 08-11-2019, 1:58 PM

I've always liked Russian TT-33s. I sent you a PM in the event you want one of those.
1954 CMP HRA Service Grade Special M1 Garand
1957 Tula SKS
1966 Polish AKM (Kit built)
Old 08-11-2019, 3:08 PM

The Romanian TTC is generally faithful to the original Russian TT33 ( but the Romy has narrow slide serrations). I think the Romy has better finish and workmanship. The Yugo is an "improved" design with longer grip (better for my hands), one round higher capacity (but nonstandard) magazine, recoil spring retainer rod (nicer disassembly/reassembly) and a different firing pin retainer that can be easier to remove than the Romy. To remove the firing pin in the Romy you need to punch out the pin in the slide. On the Yugo you depress the firing pin with a properly sized punch or the slide release lever, and then slide off the firing pin retaining cap. On my late series Yugo, the machining was rough and the cap was difficult to slide off. Also, the frame safety on my Yugo can stick in the on position, and if carried, I would remove it entirely, but this would leave a hole in the frame. Can have the same problem with the frame safety on the Romy. My Romy has a better trigger.

Last edited by hifiguns; 08-11-2019 at 3:23 PM..
Old 08-13-2019, 7:25 AM

Default Romanian vs. Yugoslavian Tokarev

Just got my Yugo M57 from classic yesterday. One of the things that I like about these is that the import marking is on the trigger guard, not some billboard on the slide. Also purchased original style trigger for $20.00 to convert it back to original.