Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-06-2016, 6:26 PM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default New "O-66" Garand

I've been interested in rebuilt marked Garands and glommed this one today...





Only have these auction pics and this description

U.S. Garand M1 semi-automatic rifle by Springfield Armory., .30 cal., SA barrel dated 11-65, military finish, wood stock, serial #4219605, in overall very good condition showing significant original military finish, good bore, crisp action and markings. The smooth wood military stock has the P proof on the pistol grip. The butt stock features sling swivels and a checkered metal butt plate with trap.

Better pics when it arrives
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-06-2016, 7:21 PM
aghauler's Avatar
aghauler aghauler is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NM
Posts: 4,513
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I've been interested in rebuilt marked Garands and glommed this one today...





Only have these auction pics and this description

U.S. Garand M1 semi-automatic rifle by Springfield Armory., .30 cal., SA barrel dated 11-65, military finish, wood stock, serial #4219605, in overall very good condition showing significant original military finish, good bore, crisp action and markings. The smooth wood military stock has the P proof on the pistol grip. The butt stock features sling swivels and a checkered metal butt plate with trap.

Better pics when it arrives
Nice! Look forward to the photo gallery when it arrives.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-06-2016, 8:23 PM
Enfield47's Avatar
Enfield47 Enfield47 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Land of the free
Posts: 6,351
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Congrats, did you get a good deal on it?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-07-2016, 8:15 AM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Thanks, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfield47 View Post
Congrats, did you get a good deal on it?
'47...I hope so. I'll know more when it arrives
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-07-2016, 12:04 PM
Flyin Brian's Avatar
Flyin Brian Flyin Brian is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 3,369
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

Steve,

Looks nice!! I'm certainly not an expert but I'm going throw a wild guess out and say that stock looks like it could be off a IHC. The shape of the horseshoe and comb seem to point that direction. I think it will be interesting to see what it is once you get it.

Good luck!!
__________________
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life Member - NRA Certified RSO - USN Veteran

I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertdouche
I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-07-2016, 1:14 PM
musketjon's Avatar
musketjon musketjon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Orange County
Posts: 1,637
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

From the description, it sounds like someone went to Little John's auction.
Jon
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-07-2016, 10:20 PM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
Steve,

Looks nice!! I'm certainly not an expert but I'm going throw a wild guess out and say that stock looks like it could be off a IHC. The shape of the horseshoe and comb seem to point that direction. I think it will be interesting to see what it is once you get it.

Good luck!!
Thanks, Brian. A commentor on another forum observed that the stock looks like an Overton, which I think made IHC stocks.

So, that is two votes for an IHC stock.

BTW, what is the "horseshoe"?
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-08-2016, 6:09 AM
Flyin Brian's Avatar
Flyin Brian Flyin Brian is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 3,369
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Thanks, Brian. A commentor on another forum observed that the stock looks like an Overton, which I think made IHC stocks.

So, that is two votes for an IHC stock.

BTW, what is the "horseshoe"?
The horseshoe is the U shaped area that the rear of the receiver sits on. On IHC stocks there is a curved divot on the right side just below the windage knob that can be a clue to finding an IHC stock.

I have 5 IHCs and I'm always looking for stocks. Last year at the western games I walked around the tables of Garands for sale and spotted a potential candidate stock on an SA reciever. Mark let me pull the action and it was indeed an IHC so I got the rifle for $530 and I figure I would have had to pay at least $350 to buy the stock alone online.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
__________________
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life Member - NRA Certified RSO - USN Veteran

I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertdouche
I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-08-2016, 8:25 AM
musketjon's Avatar
musketjon musketjon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Orange County
Posts: 1,637
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Overton made stocks, yes. If it is an IHC stock there will be a Julian Date stamp in the barrel channel as well. If no date, then it was probably made for HRA.
Jon
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Garandimal's Avatar
Garandimal Garandimal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,922
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

"O-66" is a Marine Corps rebuild.

-'60's SA Bbl's are very good, like LMR or VAR.

Depending on bore wear, it should be an excellent shooter.




GR
__________________
...Cogito, ergo armatum sum..."

(I think, therefore I am armed.)


-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-08-2016, 12:47 PM
SonofWWIIDI's Avatar
SonofWWIIDI SonofWWIIDI is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Santa Clara county
Posts: 20,859
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Looks like a nice find to me.

Did you get a good deal?
__________________
=iii=<(
🎺

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-08-2016, 8:53 PM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
Overton made stocks, yes. If it is an IHC stock there will be a Julian Date stamp in the barrel channel as well. If no date, then it was probably made for HRA.
Jon
In reading more, it looks like Overton also made a bunch of replacement stocks, some of which were used in the USMC overhaul program.
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-08-2016, 8:54 PM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandimal View Post
"O-66" is a Marine Corps rebuild.

-'60's SA Bbl's are very good, like LMR or VAR.

Depending on bore wear, it should be an excellent shooter.
GR
Thanks, GM...that is what I'm thinking.

Like you, I've heard good things about the mid-60's SA barrels.
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-08-2016, 8:54 PM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
The horseshoe is the U shaped area that the rear of the receiver sits on. On IHC stocks there is a curved divot on the right side just below the windage knob that can be a clue to finding an IHC stock.

I have 5 IHCs and I'm always looking for stocks. Last year at the western games I walked around the tables of Garands for sale and spotted a potential candidate stock on an SA reciever. Mark let me pull the action and it was indeed an IHC so I got the rifle for $530 and I figure I would have had to pay at least $350 to buy the stock alone online.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Thanks, Brian.
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-08-2016, 8:55 PM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
Looks like a nice find to me.

Did you get a good deal?
Thanks, SoWWIIDI.

I'm hoping it was a good deal. I'll know more when it arrives.
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-09-2016, 7:20 AM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
From the description, it sounds like someone went to Little John's auction.
Jon
Nailed it
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-30-2016, 3:26 PM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

The O-66 Garand arrived at my FFL today to begin it's 10 day "cooling off" period. I got a chance to look it over and it looks good. There is a boxed "P" cartouche on the pistol grip of the stock. The stock and metal are in excellent shape...literally no dents, dings or scratches on the stock and the same on the metal. There are no rub marks anywhere, even in the op rod groove on the receiver. Stock looks like an Overton replacement with a very dark finish..

The barrel is an 11-65 SA, with a sharp, shiny bore that gauges about .5 on the CMP muzzle gauge.

Could be wrong about this, but almost looks like it has not been used since it was rebuilt.

More and better pics after I've "cooled off" for 10 days...
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

Last edited by Mustang; 06-30-2016 at 8:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-30-2016, 8:05 PM
Enfield47's Avatar
Enfield47 Enfield47 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Land of the free
Posts: 6,351
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Sounds very nice Mustang. Its probably likely that after being rebuilt it was put into storage. Looking forward to the pics in 10 days (after you've cooled off of course).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-01-2016, 5:43 AM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Thanks, '47!
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-26-2016, 4:23 PM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I picked up the "O-66" Garand today, since the 10-day "cooling off period has elapsed.

It is in great shape. It almost looks like it was overhauled and then went into storage. The stock, bore, and parkerizing are in near perfect condition. There are a few very light rub marks on the stock and very few dents or dings.

The bore is "1-" on the CMP muzzle gauge and the lands and grooves are shiny and sharp.

Everything feels tight and I'm looking forward to shooting this one.













__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-26-2016, 4:34 PM
highpower790's Avatar
highpower790 highpower790 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: san lorenzo
Posts: 3,232
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Another contender for the Chabot Gun Club M1Garand(SatJuly30th) match title.
__________________
Keep it simple!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-27-2016, 4:55 AM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower790 View Post
Another contender for the Chabot Gun Club M1Garand(SatJuly30th) match title.
Yep...got to get to that match.
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-27-2016, 5:10 AM
toro1's Avatar
toro1 toro1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lovin it in Az
Posts: 660
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Very nice and getting the grooved rear hand guard clip is an added bonus.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-27-2016, 11:04 AM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1 View Post
Very nice and getting the grooved rear hand guard clip is an added bonus.
Thanks, toro.

Going to try and get out to the range this week and shoot it.
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-27-2016, 11:11 AM
CinnamonBear723 CinnamonBear723 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Orange County
Posts: 1,868
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Awesome find. I kind of like the overly dark finish. Kinda unique.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-27-2016, 3:25 PM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Thanks, CB723. I like those dark stocks also
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-28-2016, 5:30 PM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I made a quick stop at the range because, as Albert Popwell famously stated, "I gots to know".

Only got in a few rounds to get it on paper @ 100 yards, then an 8 round clip of CMP Creedmoor target ammo.

__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-01-2016, 4:27 PM
Dieppe42's Avatar
Dieppe42 Dieppe42 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: El Dorado County, State of Jefferson.
Posts: 98
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

The dark stocks on the rebuilds are sometimes iodine stained birch. I have one from my original DCM M1 and 1 from my CMP Select. Rub it down with 0000 steel wool and take it out and look at it in the sunlight. My H&R has fantastic grain for a birch stock.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-02-2016, 6:41 PM
Garand Hunter Garand Hunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 533
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Awesome target for first time out. Great deal you got.

Psalm 1
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-02-2016, 8:02 PM
Sam Z's Avatar
Sam Z Sam Z is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SGV
Posts: 367
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Congrats great score!
__________________
No Limit
No Compromise
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-04-2016, 5:08 AM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
Awesome target for first time out. Great deal you got.

Psalm 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Z View Post
Congrats great score!
Thanks, guys!

I'm going to try some handloads as soon as I can.
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-04-2016, 5:10 AM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieppe42 View Post
The dark stocks on the rebuilds are sometimes iodine stained birch. I have one from my original DCM M1 and 1 from my CMP Select. Rub it down with 0000 steel wool and take it out and look at it in the sunlight. My H&R has fantastic grain for a birch stock.
That is a fine looking Garand, Dieppe
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-06-2019, 5:42 PM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Got out to the 200 yard range at Sac Valley and shot the "O-66" Garand.

@200y, Hornady 168gr Garand match ammo, group 2.75", just under 1.5 MOA.

__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-07-2019, 7:01 PM
mj1's Avatar
mj1 mj1 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,127
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Default

Another well done to you.
__________________
WTS As new M47 Madsen 3006 w/bayonet.
WTS NIB Mosin 91/59
I will deliver or ship, details to be arranged with buyer.
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-08-2019, 9:29 PM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1 View Post
Another well done to you.
Thanks, mj.

Trying to get my ducks in a row for an upcoming semi auto military rifle silhouette match.
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-09-2019, 5:50 PM
Garandimal's Avatar
Garandimal Garandimal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,922
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Well...

You got yourself a fine shooter.


Got a VAR Dane Service Grade from the CMP, LotD, in the same condition - as new rebuilt.

Cherish/Grease/Shoot the piss out of it.

(Would ask what you paid for it... but I won't)


EDIT:

Don't forget to post some pics over at the CMP Forums The Official M1 picture thread...

Break some hearts.






GR
__________________
...Cogito, ergo armatum sum..."

(I think, therefore I am armed.)


-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --

Last edited by Garandimal; 08-09-2019 at 6:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-11-2019, 9:50 AM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 3,677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandimal View Post
Well...

You got yourself a fine shooter.


Got a VAR Dane Service Grade from the CMP, LotD, in the same condition - as new rebuilt.

Cherish/Grease/Shoot the piss out of it.

(Would ask what you paid for it... but I won't)


EDIT:

Don't forget to post some pics over at the CMP Forums The Official M1 picture thread...

Break some hearts.






GR
Thanks, GR! Those VAR Danes are reputed to be first class rifles. Great that you got one.

Post some pics of it when you get a chance.
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-11-2019, 7:20 PM
Garandimal's Avatar
Garandimal Garandimal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,922
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Thanks, GR! Those VAR Danes are reputed to be first class rifles. Great that you got one.

Post some pics of it when you get a chance.
All I seem to have handy is my 5.8M "Shooter".


Service Grade Springfield/ LEAD-'69 Arsenal Rebuild from the Greek returns, and it must have been rebuilt by Stradivarius.

Assume original 1-'55 Bbl with a 0.5/1.5 bore, like new original finish, it sits in an old sappy-sweet Springfield stock that weighs a ton, and boy does it shoot. Trigger like a two-stage icicle.







GR
__________________
...Cogito, ergo armatum sum..."

(I think, therefore I am armed.)


-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --

Last edited by Garandimal; 08-11-2019 at 7:22 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:47 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.