Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 08-12-2019, 8:09 AM

Default 1860 Spencer Rifle Cleaning/Disassembly

Time to unload my 1860 Spencer and I wanted to get some advice on cleaning out the locking mechanism on the hammer. It doesn't quite hold at full cock and it feels like there might be some grit in there that's causing it. I really don't want to mess with it at all, but, from a maximum value standpoint, is it worth it to try to get that cleaned out? Pics to follow later this evening.

EDIT: Found some old pics:

Last edited by Gutter; 08-14-2019 at 9:12 AM..
Old 08-12-2019, 8:20 AM

Spray brake cleaner and WD40. Careful of the wood.
Old 08-12-2019, 8:55 AM

IF you can get the wood off you can get the piece squeaky clean by immersing it in a good laundry detergent.....agitate it and rinse with VERY hot water.....follow that up with WD40 and lube lightly as needed.......In my experience, the method beats hell out of brake cleaner alone.

You'll be amazed at the amount of crap you get out of that action.....but don't neglect the hot (boiling if y ou can) water followup........it'l dry inself at that point & that's when the lube comes in.
Old 08-12-2019, 9:14 AM

Old 08-12-2019, 9:36 AM
Veteran Member

I use lighter fluid (Ronson) to get the crud out of the mechanisms. Squirt it in the cracks/spaces and it flushes out the junk and dries fast. Very little residuals left in it. Not slippery.

I cleaned up a friend's Win 1897 12ga, pump gun and didn't want to disturb the screws/wood or stain the stock. Renaissance wax after that.
I was gonna buy it from him for stupid cheap, but after I cleaned it up I wouldn't do it. Worth more once the thing was found functional and smooth working.

I used the same process on my Parker shotgun when it came to me.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-12-2019, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Nice old Spencer, rifle - !

Used the above - depends a lot on the gun, for me.
Old 08-14-2019, 9:11 AM

Ok, took a look at it last night and I am able to get the front wood off to give it a thorough cleaning. Looking at the buttstock (which is the problematic part), I think it goes two trigger plate screws, two lock screws, side retaining screws in that order to get the action off. Anyone with actual experience with Spencers know if this is correct?
Old 08-14-2019, 1:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Hey Gutter, I can't help you with takedown, however.....what ballpark figure are you looking to get out of it?
Old 08-14-2019, 2:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter View Post
Ok, took a look at it last night and I am able to get the front wood off to give it a thorough cleaning. Looking at the buttstock (which is the problematic part), I think it goes two trigger plate screws, two lock screws, side retaining screws in that order to get the action off. Anyone with actual experience with Spencers know if this is correct?
Remove the lever screw first, and drop the entire breech block assembly out. When you get the stock off, clean the mag tube, but don't try to remove it. Takes a special tool, and even with that they are easy to damage.
BEFORE you start, clean the crap/rust out of the screw slots, and use the right size hollow ground bit. You only get one chance, and buggered screw heads are instant value killer.
Old 08-14-2019, 2:27 PM

Good Stuff, what do you do for the wood?
Old 08-14-2019, 3:22 PM
Veteran Member

Scrub it with a piece of burlap soaked in BLO, and wipe it clean before it starts to dry. That gets the 100+ years of grime off, protects the exposed wood, and preserves the original finish still on the stock.
Old 08-14-2019, 3:27 PM

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4&&FORM=VRDGAR
Old 08-14-2019, 3:30 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not a C&R collector per se. but if this is a "keeper" or a "for sale" piece you need to remember the medical mantra. "First do no harm".

Cleaning out the crud to see what you've got makes sense. I agree with Trap about the screws. Easily buggered if you slip.

You want the wear and patina to come through, but not at the cost of adding or subtracting the original finish. That's a big part of where the value lays.

They less invasive you are the better it is IMO.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-14-2019, 3:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
I'm not a C&R collector per se. but if this is a "keeper" or a "for sale" piece you need to remember the medical mantra. "First do no harm".

Cleaning out the crud to see what you've got makes sense. I agree with Trap about the screws. Easily buggered if you slip.

You want the wear and patina to come through, but not at the cost of adding or subtracting the original finish. That's a big part of where the value lays.

They less invasive you are the better it is IMO.
Absolutely!
Old 08-14-2019, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
Hey Gutter, I can't help you with takedown, however.....what ballpark figure are you looking to get out of it?
Seen it all over the place from $1500 - $3400 or so. Figure I'd be happy to get $2000+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAP55 View Post
Remove the lever screw first, and drop the entire breech block assembly out. When you get the stock off, clean the mag tube, but don't try to remove it. Takes a special tool, and even with that they are easy to damage.
BEFORE you start, clean the crap/rust out of the screw slots, and use the right size hollow ground bit. You only get one chance, and buggered screw heads are instant value killer.
THIS. Duffing the screws was my biggest concern. Looks like there are a couple that have a little bit of wear from the previous owner, but the rest look pristine. Probably going to soak a few in Aerokroil and use my hollow ground bits to see if they don't move. If not, I'm just going to blast the lock with some gun scrubber to see if anything shakes loose. I've done a Trapdoor in similar condition a few years back so oil and a rag is most all that this gun is gonna see to get the surface crud off while doing as little as possible to the patina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john myers View Post
Perfect! Just what I needed.