Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-22-2013, 6:52 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdruff2 View Post
Finally had a chance to Mount the scope today on my Colt. Great lighting this late afternoon. I just came in from my back porch "peeking" at the homes on the next ridge (800-1,000 yds estimate) and the 6x is GTG.

And for $300 w mount, CQB to 800yds, come on now people. Up next, range report (need to sight in) then followed by CQB report.
Great! we are getting reports back that guys are hitting all the way out to 700 yards so far. The key is mounting it level,shooting it level and holding for wind. In CQB in doors I like it illuminated at 1x and outside 2-3x further out 4-6.
Hope this helps.

Dimitri
Old 09-22-2013, 7:03 PM

I spent the past two days putting the 1-6x ACSS through its paces from 50-700 yards here in Southern California. The weather was pristine for the first of fall. 68 degrees on Saturday and 77 degrees today. Winds were nil at the time I was shooting. Elevation was approx 2,000' above sea level with 32% humidity.

Having used some pretty nice scopes from Leupold, Vortex, etc., let me start by saying that this scope is really really nice and when you factor in the price it shines. Nothing else comes close to the bang for the buck.

But the real story is how well does it work?

My ACSS is mounted on one of Aero Precisions new ultra light 30mm scope mounts.

The Aero Precision is mounted a 20" SS barreled upper with a 1:8" twist. Finishing off the barrel crown is a Battle Comp 1.0 matte stainless break. Time was taken to carefully level the mount to the upper receive base, then level the scope to the scope mount. A true level is important in order to have accurate shot placement especially at distances greater than 400 yards when using a BDC type reticule or a mil/mil dot hash system.

I then mounted and leveled a Flatline Ops 30mm Scout Accu/Level (Anti Cant device) to the scope tube in order to assure the rifle is perfectly level when precision shots need to be placed. I like the Flatline Ops Accu/Level since I can place it on the scope tube and quickly visually check level using my left eye as I line my right eye up with the scope. I shoot nose to charging handle and this setup got me adjusted very comfortably.

The glass is surprisingly very clear for a scope in this price range with good clarity and resolution through all the range of magnification. The reticule once adjusted by the dipole yields a clear sharp generous field of view even at 6x.

Take time to make sure the eye relief is set so that your FOV is maxed out. This may mean you will need a extended scope mount depending on what kind of system your running as well as your desired shooting/cheek weld position.

The illumination adjustment is very nice with off settings between each level of illumination. Personally in the sun light I find that illumination is not needed. The etched reticule shows up clear on this glass and I will leave the illumination for sunrise/sunset scenarios. I found the feel and rotation of the illumination adjustment to be tactful and positive in nature.

Initial Ammo used was Federal M193 55gr factory 5.56

I bore sighted the scope to set the initial zero. The turrets have a positive feel and audible click. They are not Leupold/Swaroski quality but then again this scope is a tenth of what a Leupold/Swaroski would cost. With that said, I find nothing wrong with the feel of the turrets. They work plain and simple. The turrets are labeled and easy to read. Resetting zero on the turrets is simple, but be very careful with the small set screws that need to be loosened. You DO NOT need to remove these setscrews (there are three of them on each turret). Just loosen, zero the turret and tighten the setscrews.

The rifle was benched on a bag front and rear to help steady each shot.

Bore sighting easily got me on paper at 50 yards. I then adjusted zero on paper and verified and adjusted zero at 100 yards. While I could have started at 100 yards, I generally make sure I am hitting paper first at 50.

After zero was established at 100 yards to the center dot, I began to shoot distance increments every 100 yards. 200 yards was dead on at the bottom of the center dot. I then moved out to 300 yards and went prone. I continued to shot prone at anything over 300 yards. At 300 and 400 yards I was getting hits repeatedly. 500 yards and up I switched to 69g .223 Prvi Partizan match ammo.

500 yards I was getting hits but not as repeatedly as 400 and under. At 500+ trigger control, breathing, etc. all come into play as well as reading the wind if any.

At 600 and 700 yards I got hits as well so I am confident this reticule is calibrated correctly. I need to spend more time with this system and practice. I may also try some 75g .223 match ammo for distances 600 yards and greater.

I did take pictures but need to download, crop and adjust them. I will update this post when I have the time to do that.

The magnification adjustment ring on my unit felt perfect. It was not too tight nor too easy to rotate. The etching on the units body was crisp and clear providing detailed marks and information. I had no issue, however if I was shooting 3 gun with this scope I would like some sort of longer lever option on the magnification ring.

I am extremely happy with this scope when you take into consideration what you are getting for the price. Would I shoot better with a Leupold Mark 6 1-6x? Probably not. The ACSS reticule is a true winner and the scope Primary Arms has mated the ACSS reticule with is absolutely no slouch. Made in China? Certainly but very robust. Time will tell how it holds up. I don't throw my rifles around, I don't go into combat with them. If I did, I would probably choose a scope with known history. For a range gun I foresee no issue with setup and would recommend it to anyone that wants a great system that has the ability (shooter dependent) on making hits out to 700 yards.

Wind dots and ranging tests next session

More to follow soon.

Last edited by awiner; 09-22-2013 at 7:15 PM..
Old 09-22-2013, 7:58 PM
Banned

Any plans on making the 1-6 or 1-8 with glass quality like vortex, leupold ? Also, any plans for 308 / 7.62x39?
Old 09-22-2013, 8:35 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason8055 View Post
Any plans on making the 1-6 or 1-8 with glass quality like vortex, leupold ? Also, any plans for 308 / 7.62x39?

7.62x39 ACSS 1-6 passed testing with flying colors! getting hits all the way out to 500 yards!It will be coming in a few months.
The .308 ACSS HUD 4-14 FFP is still in development but will be the most advanced reticle design yet! Set for DMR based on 175SMK but will work with 168SMK and other loads when dialed in as we instruct. As far as the glass quality and better scopes the answer is yes. I can't give out exact details but there is an ACSS 1-6 5.56/5.45/.308 model coming that has performed exceptionally well with much higher quality glass and internals but with a higher price point.

Dimitri

Last edited by PrimaryArms; 09-22-2013 at 8:38 PM..
Old 09-22-2013, 8:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the updates Dimitri. Can you give an estimate of how far before the .308 ACSS HUD 4-14 FFP will be available?
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 09-22-2013, 9:17 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyguy View Post
Thanks for the updates Dimitri. Can you give an estimate of how far before the .308 ACSS HUD 4-14 FFP will be available?
We are waiting for first sample. After that a lot of testing has to go on. All the BDC ,wind,ranging,leads and so on is confirmed against charts and then range. After that ok is given or not until they get it right. Once everything is a go it takes 3-5 months to get it to Market. The 1-6 got sent back 3 different times and why it took so long but also why its so accurate! We don't believe in selling scopes that are not right. We stand behind our products.

Dimitri

Last edited by PrimaryArms; 09-22-2013 at 9:20 PM..
Old 09-22-2013, 9:33 PM
Calguns Addict

^ I understand and appreciate your quality control. I was just wondering how far you were into the development of the product.

So it sounds like it's about 6-12 months out. That's going to be a long wait, but it is what it is. Please keep us updated!
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 09-22-2013, 10:08 PM

What mount do you guys recommend for a PTR with a welded top rail (Atlantic Arms A3S)? I'm about to pick one up, but I'm not sure whether to go with a mount or rings.
Old 09-23-2013, 9:10 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO1911Fan View Post
What mount do you guys recommend for a PTR with a welded top rail (Atlantic Arms A3S)? I'm about to pick one up, but I'm not sure whether to go with a mount or rings.
I am not very familiar with the PTR but it comes down to how far forward you want the scope and how much room you got.

Dimitri

Last edited by PrimaryArms; 09-23-2013 at 10:17 AM..
Old 09-23-2013, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimaryArms View Post
Mid-priced glass is Trijicon Accupoint or Vortex Viper PST to me.
Old 09-23-2013, 9:57 AM

Nice product worth twice the price, cant wait for Friday to actualy shoot with this thing.The eye relief seems pretty specific, clarity at 6x needs no no apologies.I am ready to order another when multiple orders are allowed. Thanks for a good product.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Nice product worth twice the price, cant wait for Friday to actualy shoot with this thing.The eye relief seems pretty specific, clarity at 6x needs no no apologies.I am ready to order another when multiple orders are allowed. Thanks for a good product.
Thank you
We should have more on the way.

Dimitri
Old 09-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Just received my scope about 30 minutes ago. Mine came with a dead battery or the illumination is broken. I don't have any new batteries to test it at the moment. Turrets are audible but not necessary tactile. (Feels like a spring rather than a detent) Glass quality looks fine but won't be able to tell until I take it out to the range. It has a fish eye effect when you're not lined up which threw me off at first because my other scopes blacked out on the edges instead. Reticle looks good when I have it placed onto a lit up flat surface (walls, fence) but it shifts out of focus for my eyes when I'm looking at object with multiple areas of shading such as over the shadow of the tree branches. Having illumination on may help but I couldn't test that yet. I'll have it out in a few weeks and see how my eyes hold up to the fine lines/numbers on the reticle. 1x seems to work pretty decently in a bright room even without illumination. Probably won't be able to test that out for a while though.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taifei View Post
Just received my scope about 30 minutes ago. Mine came with a dead battery or the illumination is broken. I don't have any new batteries to test it at the moment. Turrets are audible but not necessary tactile. (Feels like a spring rather than a detent) Glass quality looks fine but won't be able to tell until I take it out to the range. It has a fish eye effect when you're not lined up which threw me off at first because my other scopes blacked out on the edges instead. Reticle looks good when I have it placed onto a lit up flat surface (walls, fence) but it shifts out of focus for my eyes when I'm looking at object with multiple areas of shading such as over the shadow of the tree branches. Having illumination on may help but I couldn't test that yet. I'll have it out in a few weeks and see how my eyes hold up to the fine lines/numbers on the reticle. 1x seems to work pretty decently in a bright room even without illumination. Probably won't be able to test that out for a while though.
Take off rear flip cap and adjust focus you need to look further out with BDC
Email marshall@primaryarms.com so they can send you another battery . If its the scope we will replace it no questions asked.

Dimitri

Last edited by PrimaryArms; 09-23-2013 at 11:45 AM..
Old 09-23-2013, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
We are waiting for first sample. After that a lot of testing has to go on. All the BDC ,wind,ranging,leads and so on is confirmed against charts and then range. After that ok is given or not until they get it right. Once everything is a go it takes 3-5 months to get it to Market. The 1-6 got sent back 3 different times and why it took so long but also why its so accurate! We don't believe in selling scopes that are not right. We stand behind our products.

Dimitri
This is VERY exciting news. I recently aquired an LR308 and have been shooting a PA 1-4x24 off of it with sort of a "designated marksman" philosophy of use. I really like the 1-4 but the ACSS sounds super promising.

Can we assume the price point for the .308 will be similar to the 5.56 version?
Old 09-24-2013, 6:29 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq View Post
This is VERY exciting news. I recently aquired an LR308 and have been shooting a PA 1-4x24 off of it with sort of a "designated marksman" philosophy of use. I really like the 1-4 but the ACSS sounds super promising.

Can we assume the price point for the .308 will be similar to the 5.56 version?
Should be about the same

Dimitri
Old 09-25-2013, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Should be about the same

Dimitri
So for someone who has a a DPMS low profile .308 and is new to the long range game, would you say it's worth waiting or getting one now? Also I would need the extended mount but what rings?
Old 09-25-2013, 8:01 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
So for someone who has a a DPMS low profile .308 and is new to the long range game, would you say it's worth waiting or getting one now? Also I would need the extended mount but what rings?
The ACSS HUD will take a new or advanced shooter and turn them into basically a well seasoned sniper team.
Instead of a spotter calling your range, adjustments, and leads and you scrambling to input or hold between horizontal and vertical mils everything you need will be there in your reticle hint the name HUD Heads Up Display. The art of long range shooting comes down to reading the wind the rest is done by Ballistic calculators.
We are introducing a revolutionary feature that will allow the shooter to range,lead and BDC at the same point allowing you to range and hit movers faster and more accurately then ever before. Is that worth the wait?

Dimitri
Old 09-25-2013, 8:07 AM

Quote:
The ACSS HUD will take a new or advanced shooter and turn them into basically a well seasoned sniper team.
Instead of a spotter calling your range, adjustments, and leads and you scrambling to input or hold between horizontal and vertical mils everything you need will be there in your reticle hint the name HUD Heads Up Display. The art of long range shooting comes down to reading the wind the rest is done by Ballistic calculators.
We are introducing a revolutionary feature that will allow the shooter to range,lead and BDC at the same point allowing you to range and hit movers faster and more accurately then ever before. Is that worth the wait?

Dimitri
Sounds like its worth the wait to me Dimitri. With the HUD ate we talking a high end price tag? If so, I'll start saving now.
Old 09-25-2013, 1:35 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
Sounds like its worth the wait to me Dimitri. With the HUD ate we talking a high end price tag? If so, I'll start saving now.
I am guessing $299-$350 but not up to me. If the reticle becomes popular then it might end up in higher end stuff.

Dimitri
Old 09-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Dimitri
Dimitri, if you aren't head of marketing, you should be.

I think my pants got tighter reading that. I can't wait for .308 version.
Old 09-26-2013, 1:35 PM

Is the 6x fixed ACSS going to come back in stock ever or did the 1-6x kill it?
Old 09-27-2013, 6:23 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Dimitri, if you aren't head of marketing, you should be.

I think my pants got tighter reading that. I can't wait for .308 version.
Not Marketing its revolutionary thinking and problem solving. Its a whole new innovative reticle concept.

Thanks for the kind comment.

Dimitri
Old 09-27-2013, 6:30 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPea View Post
Is the 6x fixed ACSS going to come back in stock ever or did the 1-6x kill it?
We had problems with the turrets and pulled it. Not sure If its ever coming back and yes the 1-6 far outsold it.
As standard as the 6x looked its very accurate and shares reticle specs with 1-6. I mounted it a 10-22 matched data with 22 BDC the 800 yard mark=240 yards with a 22LR

It gives Marky Mark a run for his money!

Dimitri
Old 09-27-2013, 7:25 AM

Quote:
We had problems with the turrets and pulled it. Not sure If its ever coming back and yes the 1-6 far outsold it.
no! was gonna build an SPR and put the fixed 6x on top. bring it back!

hahha, quick question, how was the optical clarity between the fixed 6x and the 1-6x @ 6x??
Old 09-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by static808 View Post
no! was gonna build an SPR and put the fixed 6x on top. bring it back!

hahha, quick question, how was the optical clarity between the fixed 6x and the 1-6x @ 6x??
To me the 6x looks a little clearer then the 1-6 but not by much. The ability of the 1-6 at CQB/Med range is great!

Dimitri

Last edited by PrimaryArms; 09-27-2013 at 5:54 PM..
Old 09-30-2013, 7:16 AM
Vendor/Retailer

FYI if the reticle appears thin or out of focus its because it is. Its sent from factory that way, you have to remove the rear cap and focus to your eye. Also some will assume that you will be able to read the numbers across the room. You have to view at the ranges it was made for 200 yards+ up close your focus should only be on the huge horse shoe.

Dimitri

Last edited by PrimaryArms; 09-30-2013 at 9:07 AM..
Old 10-01-2013, 7:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Shoot it n see if it goes away if not PM and we will send out a new one with a return label for that one.

Dimitri
Shot the rifle and it is still there. I'll send you a PM.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
Old 10-01-2013, 6:59 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboosh View Post
Shot the rifle and it is still there. I'll send you a PM.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
Ok contact info@primaryarms.com
for RMA we will send another with return label.

Dimitri
Old 10-07-2013, 7:33 AM
Veteran Member

Was browsing the PA store and saw that the 1-6X W/ACSS says "Compatible with .223/5.56, 5.45x39, .308"

Does that mean that the current optic will work for .308 currently? Like I've said, I'm anxiously awaiting the oppurtinity to buy their .308 version. haha.
Old 10-07-2013, 9:34 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Was browsing the PA store and saw that the 1-6X W/ACSS says "Compatible with .223/5.56, 5.45x39, .308"

Does that mean that the current optic will work for .308 currently? Like I've said, I'm anxiously awaiting the oppurtinity to buy their .308 version. haha.
Yes

.308 is listed on the bottom.
The wind holds become closer to 10mph instead of the 5mph.
What type of rifle do you have?

Dimitri
Old 10-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes

.308 is listed on the bottom.
The wind holds become closer to 10mph instead of the 5mph.
What type of rifle do you have?

Dimitri

LR308. CMMG Upper Mk3 upper on a DPMS lower.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
LR308. CMMG Upper Mk3 upper on a DPMS lower.
What barrel length?
Is there a particular load you use?
If your running anything from a 16"-20" barrel you should be on +.5 - +1" at 100.
I shoot M80 and 16" .308 upper +1" at 100 and get hits all the way out to 800. I like to confirm at 400 it sets the rest of the BDC.

Dimitri
Old 10-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What barrel length?
Is there a particular load you use?
If your running anything from a 16"-20" barrel you should be on +.5 - +1" at 100.
I shoot M80 and 16" .308 upper +1" at 100 and get hits all the way out to 800. I like to confirm at 400 it sets the rest of the BDC.

Dimitri
It's a 16" 1:10 twist.

I shoot mainly M80 spec, sometimes match loads when they are available.

I'm fairly new to shooting over 300 yards so It's going to be a learning experience.
Old 10-07-2013, 7:54 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
It's a 16" 1:10 twist.

I shoot mainly M80 spec, sometimes match loads when they are available.

I'm fairly new to shooting over 300 yards so It's going to be a learning experience.
We all have to start somewhere. Have fun and be safe.

Dimitri
Old 10-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

I just ordered one at 11:35 hrs. I received a shipped notice and tracking number at 12:00 hrs. Dayum!
Old 10-15-2013, 2:29 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 View Post
I just ordered one at 11:35 hrs. I received a shipped notice and tracking number at 12:00 hrs. Dayum!
Timing is everything!
Thank you for being a PA customer.
Dimitri
Old 10-15-2013, 2:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Took my FS2000 to Front Sight for a 4 day rifle class equipped with this scope. Prior to this trip I only sighted the scope in, 15 rounds at max. This scope was an amazing tool and helped me make accurate shots from 7 yards out to 200.

I love this scope.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2013, 8:24 PM

Range report
Location/Time - ASR, 10/18/13 2:30-5:00pm PST
Weather - Sunny apprx 85 degrees, little noticeable wind
Rifle - Colt LE6920MP (1:7 twist, 16", Chromed)
Scope - PA 1-6x w ASCC
Ammo - 55gr .223 FMJ: AE and LAX reloads
Shooter - Experienced shooting CQB to 100 yards. Newbie shooting 100yds +
  1. Shooting from a seated position on a bench rest with barrel resting on a shooting bag, established zero at 100 yards. Using 6x magnification, consistently hit steel targets at 200, 300 & 400. Did not attempt targets at 500-700yds (that will be for another day)
  2. Continued shooting from a seated position, but removing the shooting bags for support, shot 6/8 at 200yds, 5/8 300, 3/8 400.

Summary - As mentioned previously, I had no experience shooting pass 100 yds before today. Having followed the directions on the use of the BDC, it felt easy in that all I had to really do was set my target at the correct distance on the BDC and shoot.

I obviously need to practice more, but to be able to step up w no experience and register hits as far 400 (seated w/ & w/o shooting bags) is a testimonial to how much thought went into creating something that would allow a new (distance) shooter to step right up and "point and shoot".

Great price, great value and good results thus far. Would recommend.

Note - LAX reload is good enough for plinking, CQB and shooting at steel plates. It's not precise or consistent enough to zero with or shoot for bullseye.

Last edited by kdruff2; 10-18-2013 at 8:33 PM..
Old 10-19-2013, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboosh View Post
Took my FS2000 to Front Sight for a 4 day rifle class equipped with this scope. Prior to this trip I only sighted the scope in, 15 rounds at max. This scope was an amazing tool and helped me make accurate shots from 7 yards out to 200.

I love this scope.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Did you use illumination ?How did the man on man go?Fun course to bad standards to move on are nearly impossible-at least for me.Perhaps I will see you at a skiill course anxious to try this scope in the frontsight environment.