Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 02-12-2013, 4:15 PM
Whatever
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
MO are the same way unless you get a USPS money order and cash it at the USPS.
I've been told USPS (since Federal) gives you more leverage if ripped off... At least some guys wouldn't take a MO from my Credit Union... I dunno.

Old 02-12-2013, 4:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Scam or not, if something smells fishy, it more than likely is fishy. Thanks for the heads up. Better to be wary.
Old 02-12-2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1nk3n View Post
This was attempted fraud. The fraudster is insistent that you give him your Paypal email address so he can send you a Paypal Transfer. He then sends you a phishing email that appears to be from Paypal that asks you to log in, and if you click through and log in, the fraudster then has your email address and your password. He then logs into Paypal using your login information and buys himself something nice. With your money.
If anyone falls for those phishing emails, they deserve to get scammed.

When you get an email from paypal, open a new tab or window in your internet browser and go directly to paypal.com. Login from the home page and check your activity.

Someone once tried to scam me from craigslist using a spoofed paypal that claimed I got a payment. I verify this against my paypal records online and found no incoming money.
Old 02-12-2013, 5:22 PM
Banned

So Im lost where the scam takes place. The guy is buying a gun. He has to show his DL to the FFL when you transfer it, he has to leave his thumb print, and he has to wait 10 days before he can pick it up. So whats the scam - he's going to stiff you on the funds or use a stolen credit card then leave all of his contact information, as well as a thumb print behind and hope he can do that within 10 days?
Old 02-12-2013, 5:56 PM

I doubt he was scamming you. You would meet him at the shop to do the paperwork. There is information such as a drivers license that has to be documented. Its not like you are shipping a stranger a part..... Maybe he doesn't have the cash, and wants to pay with a credit card.
Old 02-12-2013, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
MO are the same way unless you get a USPS money order and cash it at the USPS.
I felt the same way but just did a large deal with MoneyGram MOs purchased at WalMart. I have read that Western Union MOs are often counterfeited (they own MoneyGram) and that you can deposit them and much later have the deposit reversed so I didn't just want to put them in my bank. Because these were marked as being purchased at WM, WM was willing to cash them on the spot. A little legwork, but no problem.

BRRC.org
Old 02-12-2013, 8:20 PM

First of all, personally i wouldn't sell a FIREARM to someone thats only been on CG for a few weeks period.. Thats just me. So that would be much more sound advice in my opinion rather than the PP issue..
Sound judgement should be used anytime you buy or sell firearms and ammo , no matter how its paid for. Hell I dont like buying cars with a big wad of cash.. Never know who your gonna run into on the web. So While Im not dismissing the OP's concern here by any means, Im just saying PP is pretty low on the risk-scale if you know the buyer has a good reputation.

Sometimes you see something you don't have the cash for and want to slam it on a credit card. If the seller says no PP I'd say thanks and move along too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaiphob25 View Post
You guys are missing the point.

It is common paypal scam when people pay using paypal and then take possession of the item. Once they have the item in hand they go back and file a claim with paypal that the item was not recived and then paypal would take the money out of your account.
Thats why you take the money out first.. PP issues debit cards.. If they are meeting you with an ID that matches their PP info and an FFL has to do the transfer then whats the problem? And they cant file a complaint because they cant tell PP they bought a firearm.. And as far as theyre concerned your paying someone "for a service" to deliver something to a FFL for you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1nk3n View Post
This was attempted fraud. The fraudster is insistent that you give him your Paypal email address so he can send you a Paypal Transfer. He then sends you a phishing email that appears to be from Paypal that asks you to log in, and if you click through and log in, the fraudster then has your email address and your password. He then logs into Paypal using your login information and buys himself something nice. With your money.
Anyone dumb enough not to spot bogus email like this shouldn't be transferring money on the web anyway..
Old 02-12-2013, 9:04 PM

Simple, refer to iTrader. Dont deal with 0/0 Newbies
Old 02-12-2013, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_k_lopez View Post
So Im lost where the scam takes place. The guy is buying a gun. He has to show his DL to the FFL when you transfer it, he has to leave his thumb print, and he has to wait 10 days before he can pick it up. So whats the scam - he's going to stiff you on the funds or use a stolen credit card then leave all of his contact information, as well as a thumb print behind and hope he can do that within 10 days?
Exactly. This fuss is purely chicken little at its best.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 PM

The OP is warning us for a (unfortunately) more and more common form of a scam and I thank him for that.

Anything else in between as far as how the deal could have gone down is just pure speculation.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkindrumr View Post
Old 02-12-2013, 11:28 PM

I also submit, a legitimate PP BUYER assumes MORE of a risk that your not going to show up at the FFL..

So the moral of this story isn't about PP.. its about the credibility of the other party, regardless of the payment method.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter5 View Post
First of all, personally i wouldn't sell a FIREARM to someone thats only been on CG for a few weeks period.. Thats just me. So that would be much more sound advice in my opinion rather than the PP issue..
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkindrumr View Post

Much as i'd like to take offense to these (being a newbie myself) i just can't. I'd have a hard time trusting someone with no transaction history or reputation to check out before hand. I guess i was just lucky to find someone willing to show mercy and deal with a person who as far as they know is an axe murderer
Old 02-13-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j54gonzalez View Post
Much as i'd like to take offense to these (being a newbie myself) i just can't. I'd have a hard time trusting someone with no transaction history or reputation to check out before hand. I guess i was just lucky to find someone willing to show mercy and deal with a person who as far as they know is an axe murderer
Your exactly right.. And while some "newbies" will piss and moan, you understand being a gun owner comes with more responsibility then just hoping not to get ripped off.. This comunity is supposed to be about protecting our rights and sharing information.. In case we haven't noticed recently it only take one irresponsible gun owner to start a whole new mess for every free individual..

So yeah this transcends "potentially" getting scammed on the web..
Old 02-13-2013, 2:28 PM
Calguns Addict

This is a community... However folks are always trying in any group to make a buck.
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 02-13-2013, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGLEG View Post
CASH ONLY! Meet FTF at FFL.
This.

And check the buyer's post history and content.
Old 02-13-2013, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
another scam I've run into is they will email a copy of the paypal notification email, so it looks like PayPal is telling you they sent the funds.
This would be my guess. Them sending a fake paypal email...
Old 02-13-2013, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaiphob25 View Post
You guys are missing the point.

It is common paypal scam when people pay using paypal and then take possession of the item. Once they have the item in hand they go back and file a claim with paypal that the item was not recived and then paypal would take the money out of your account.
This^^

My buddies dad does on-line sales of stuff he imports from India. He stopped using PayPal (Amazon now only) because, he tells me, "PayPal always favors the buyer."

Burden of proof on the seller. Always demand shipping cost to include proof of delivery, or FTF cash only.
Old 02-13-2013, 3:20 PM
Banned

This is why cash is king and why I would rather drive hours to do a transaction the good ole fashioned way...in person! Whats a few gallons of gas when there are hundreds or maybe thousands at stake? I hated using PAypal and I was on the receiving end. Had a guy send me $300 upfront and the other half would come when we did the FTF... I couldnt help but think how sketchy that was... I guess for some people its more convenient, but not for me...