Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-13-2015, 10:46 PM

Default MP5A5 22LR ... worth the wait!

After a long wait for PSA to work through the post-holiday backlog, then the usual 10-day stay in the gunitentiary, I finally became the proud owner of a rimfire MP5. This one is marked "MADE BY CARL WALTHER GERMANY" and "US IMPORTER WALTHER ARMS" which of course are Umarex subsidiaries ... but the proof marks say it comes from Ulm, so I say it has a plausible claim to being an actual Walther Date code is "BD" for 2013 so it's been sitting around for a little while. I wonder if sales have been slow due to the rimfire ammo shortage.

My first impression was: "Dang, this thing feels solid." Solid as in heavy. Factory specs say 5.9 lbs unloaded, but it feels heavier than that. Trigger pull is a consistent if slightly heavy 7 lbs. Collapsible stock wobbles a bit when wiggled but stays put when shouldered. Rear sling loop rattles and there is some play in the rear sight drum of all places, but otherwise fit is tight. Finish is acceptable. The paint job isn't as consistent as I'd like but it does match the plastic parts well.

Put about 250 rounds ammo through it without a single malfunction, even with Remington Cyclone! Accuracy was best with Federal 36gr bulk pack -- I managed 10-shot groups under 1" at 50' with iron sights, even with my middle-aged eyes I'm sure the gun is capable of much better accuracy in more capable hands. In my defense there was brass flying left and right in front of my face from the big crowd of Rick Grimes wannabes missing zombie targets at the 10' line.

Ergonomics were classic HK, which isn't always a good thing The collapsible stock has a short length of pull and nearly zero drop at comb, so it takes some practice and a bit of scrunching to get a good sight picture. Eventually I learned to shoulder it like an old Remington 513T, with just the heel of the buttplate in the pocket. (Helps to have zero recoil.) The stock does interfere with larger, bulkier hearing protection though my old Peltor President muffs worked fine.

I've mounted an, um, economy scope for my next range trip. The higher sight line will make my neck much happier. The extra weight makes the gun feel much more "solid" so I may switch to an Aimpoint clone on a riser mount. No question that a high sight line is unavoidable on a straight-line design, at least for those of us with large heads.

Oh, did I mention that the gun is fun as heck?
Old 02-13-2015, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

If it's actually made by Umaex, that weight is most likely in the form of an alloy that's got good percentage of zinc in it.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:01 PM
Banned

I thought the 10 day wait was gone....
Old 02-14-2015, 7:53 AM

Congrats! I'm very happy with mine. I've got well over 2000 rounds through mine right now and it's been rock solid - cycled everything that I've fed through it.

Like you, the sight line is too low for my neck as well. I'm not concerned about no co-witness w/ the iron sights - the budget red dot sight has been great.
Old 02-14-2015, 8:11 AM

You either love them or hate em....

The finish is paint so be careful with solvent .
I treated mine with great care,but the finish flaked off in areas
I wound up selling it as I was not a fan of the zinc body or the THIN walled barrel I found when the fake suppressor was removed for cleaning
Old 02-15-2015, 7:21 PM

marcopolo_9mm -- nice setup! I got the same eBay claw mount. I'm surprised by how well it fits and holds considering the price and the size of the clamps.
Old 02-15-2015, 7:27 PM

gwb -- thanks for the warning re: solvents. I tried Hoppe's Elite which took off a bit of paint from the muzzle area. What did you use on yours?
Old 11-24-2016, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil_lover View Post
After a long wait for PSA to work through the post-holiday backlog, then the usual 10-day stay in the gunitentiary, I finally became the proud owner of a rimfire MP5. This one is marked "MADE BY CARL WALTHER GERMANY" and "US IMPORTER WALTHER ARMS" which of course are Umarex subsidiaries ... but the proof marks say it comes from Ulm, so I say it has a plausible claim to being an actual Walther Date code is "BD" for 2013 so it's been sitting around for a little while. I wonder if sales have been slow due to the rimfire ammo shortage.

My first impression was: "Dang, this thing feels solid." Solid as in heavy. Factory specs say 5.9 lbs unloaded, but it feels heavier than that. Trigger pull is a consistent if slightly heavy 7 lbs. Collapsible stock wobbles a bit when wiggled but stays put when shouldered. Rear sling loop rattles and there is some play in the rear sight drum of all places, but otherwise fit is tight. Finish is acceptable. The paint job isn't as consistent as I'd like but it does match the plastic parts well.

Put about 250 rounds ammo through it without a single malfunction, even with Remington Cyclone! Accuracy was best with Federal 36gr bulk pack -- I managed 10-shot groups under 1" at 50' with iron sights, even with my middle-aged eyes I'm sure the gun is capable of much better accuracy in more capable hands. In my defense there was brass flying left and right in front of my face from the big crowd of Rick Grimes wannabes missing zombie targets at the 10' line.

Ergonomics were classic HK, which isn't always a good thing The collapsible stock has a short length of pull and nearly zero drop at comb, so it takes some practice and a bit of scrunching to get a good sight picture. Eventually I learned to shoulder it like an old Remington 513T, with just the heel of the buttplate in the pocket. (Helps to have zero recoil.) The stock does interfere with larger, bulkier hearing protection though my old Peltor President muffs worked fine.

I've mounted an, um, economy scope for my next range trip. The higher sight line will make my neck much happier. The extra weight makes the gun feel much more "solid" so I may switch to an Aimpoint clone on a riser mount. No question that a high sight line is unavoidable on a straight-line design, at least for those of us with large heads.

Oh, did I mention that the gun is fun as heck?
is all Hk mp5 22lr California legal? There is a vendor that has the same as yours but a 25 round magazine version. He said he'll ship it to my FFL without the 25 round magazine. but how do I know if it is California legal since it had a 25 round magazine with that gun. BTW vendor is located in Ohio
Old 11-24-2016, 9:31 PM

Make sure to check the extractor cut at the breach for cracking. Very common for the mp5. Mag clamps make these guns twice the fun!
Old 11-24-2016, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthai16 View Post
is all Hk mp5 22lr California legal? There is a vendor that has the same as yours but a 25 round magazine version. He said he'll ship it to my FFL without the 25 round magazine. but how do I know if it is California legal since it had a 25 round magazine with that gun. BTW vendor is located in Ohio

That would be legal. There's nothing illegal about the rifle itself, only the magazine.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubmaster View Post
That would be legal. There's nothing illegal about the rifle itself, only the magazine.
Thanks for the response and answer
Old 11-24-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthai16 View Post
Thanks for the response and answer
My pleasure, just note that you'll need to purchase a legal magazine before the end of your ten day wait so that they can perform the safety demo.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubmaster View Post
My pleasure, just note that you'll need to purchase a legal magazine before the end of your ten day wait so that they can perform the safety demo.
will do..Happy Thanksgiving