Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Curly420 Curly420 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Do we need a FFL for a stripped OLL gift?

I've been talking to my friend in Texas and he has an OLL receiver he said I could have. I'm just a bit confused of how to do it legally.

- If he gives me the stripped lower receiver do we need a FFL to make the transfer or could I just take possession of it without registering?

From my understanding, since it's off-list, it's not 'technically' an assault rifle and just a standard long gun, not requiring registration. -- Please correct me if I'm wrong.

- Also, what if he gives me a complete, CA compliant, lower receiver?

- Lastly, If both scenarios do require the ffl, do both parties need to be present, or can it be done remotely?

I'm 24 btw. Thanks for looking.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
retired Goon
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 23,423
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default Gun Control Act of 1968

For the last 45 years, Federal laws have prohibited the transfer of firearms between residents of different states unless the transfer is done through a FFL dealer.
There is no gift exemption to the Federal laws.

A receiver is a Title 1 Other firearm.


Because your friend is a resident of TX and you are a resident of CA, the firearm must be transferred to you through a CA FFL dealer.

If your friend gives it to you while you are in TX, then both of you will violate Federal laws.
Federal felony for you for receiving [18 USC 922(a)(3)] and Federal felony for your friend for giving it to you [18 USC 922(a)(5)].

1. Your friend ships the firearm to CA FFL dealer.
2. You go to the CA FFL dealer.
3. You pay fees (transfer fee/DROS fee/CA use tax) and have it transferred (4473/DROS/10 day wait) to you.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Curly420 Curly420 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
iTrader: 0 / 0%

Perfect. Nice and clear Tyvm. This can be closed now or w/e you do ;P

Just googling around I kept coming here and finding answers lol. This will be my first self-built rifle so I'm trying to do as much research as possible and I can definitely tell you I'll be back. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host., the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved. and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to