Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-18-2013, 1:38 PM

Default AAR: Pistol Manipulation 1.0 with Falcon Ops - great class

If this is tl;dr, here’s a summary:

Take the Pistol Manipulation 1.0 class with Falcon Ops. They care about making you a better shooter and they have the teaching and communication skills to do it.

http://falconops.net/products-page/c...al-pistol-1-0/

Covered the basics of Falcon Ops Carbine 1.0 already so a couple paragraphs from that AAR are copied here. As before: Attempt here is to focus on what isn’t available on their website.

Same guys (Charles ‘Voodoo’ Ferrara, Anson ‘Hollywood’ Beck, plus the other instructors Senior and Hoss; all instructors are credentialed/certified), same range (Prado in Corona, CA). 8 hour course, 500 rounds planned. I will use nicknames because that is what they call each other.

27 students, 4 instructors (more on this shortly).

Cans of dip chewed: Many. If you like guns and dick jokes, spit chew and can follow the four firearm life safety rules then you will be right at home with Falcon Ops. Also popular: the f word.

They swear a lot. Like, a ****ing ton. If you can’t handle 4 letter words (8 letter, 16 letter, **** who can keep track with the way Hollywood talks) then this is maybe not for you. And you would be missing out, because the quality of the instruction is excellent.

What constitutes quality instruction? The ability to effectively communicate and demonstrate complex concepts. At this they excel.

I liked the Falcon Ops training style very much. They want training to be safe, educational and fun. Their presentations are professional, polished and well organized. They run a tight ship, so although the environment is informal it is not casual. They talk about the difference between these two things, and proper attitude, during the mindset portion of the training (which runs throughout the day).

ESSENTIAL GEAR NOT LISTED ON THEIR LOADOUT LIST: Gloves appropriate for shooting. Sunscreen + sweaty hands + hot weather + lots of rounds = slippery hands, even for guys that had guns with custom stippling. Gloves help a lot and if you don’t have them it’s very difficult to un**** yourself. Practice manipulating your gun with gloves on to make sure that you aren’t a mess when you get to your class.

Favorite joke of the day by far:
Hollywood: Are there any re-enactors here?

Class: [Blank looks]

Hollywood: Re-enactors? Anyone? No one is shooting a 1911? [2 hands go up] Oh, couple guys? Cool.
I about fell over laughing. They didn’t mention the 1911s again after that. As far as I know there were no issues with any of the pistols, 1911 or otherwise, over the course of the day.

Topics covered (from memory, no notes, order may be jumbled because we hit them throughout the day):
  • Mindset
  • 7 fundamentals of marksmanship as they relate to pistol shooting
  • Trigger control (this came up all day long)
  • Three Five types of reloads (admin, tactical, emergency, Russian, New York)
  • Shooting from low ready
  • Shooting from compressed ready
  • Drawing from a holster
  • Identifying a threat to your right, left, or rear, turning, drawing and shooting

We closed out the day shooting a single-elimination tournament on a dueling tree, which was great fun after a long day. Disappointingly, we didn’t get to finish it due to the class size. Speaking of class size…

Stuff to improve: Class size and instructor/student ratio. Due to a **** up on the website registration code the class was overenrolled by 5 students (about 25%). There was no way to proceed quickly without compromising safety so the pace was slow. No way around it, so some of us got to hone the fundamentals a bit more during drills. Also, we ran short on time at the end. Other than that, wouldn’t change anything.

Looking forward to training with these guys again.

See you out there.
Old 02-18-2013, 4:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I've heard good things about them.. Just cant find the right schedule.. I hope soon I will..

"its hard to face the problem if the problem is your face"
Old 02-19-2013, 1:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That was a terrific class - great instructors, good fellow shooters, lots of fun, and best of all, learned a lot.
Old 02-19-2013, 2:55 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Great writeup Case, thanks buddy, and to MCHK as well!

The class size was indeed a mess-up, but it will be fixed with the new website, as we don't like to exceed 20-22 shooters with 4 instructors. Hopefully you enjoyed meeting and hanging out with the other shooters though, and as you can see during carbine, we got to vet everyone's optics issues during BZO, so we all learned a lot about which equipment was good and what sucks in the real world, not just what looks good on Ebay.

Photos are up on the FB page if you want to see them. A preview below...

mabilis_matulis, we are redesigning the website and will post an updated schedule for 2013 soon, which will be announced on Calguns as well as our Facebook page. Hope to see you at a class. -Stash

Last edited by FALCONOPS; 02-19-2013 at 2:58 PM..
Old 02-20-2013, 7:30 PM

I too attended the class. It was fantastic. I honestly have nothing but good things to say. These guys really have something good going here. Their instruction was on point and everything they taught makes sense from a real world and functional standpoint. This class really showed me how much I need to learn. I have been shooting pretty regularly for the past 6 years and always felt like I knew how to use my weapons. This class opened my eyes to the fact that I am lucky I have never had to use a firearm to defend my life because I do not know how to effectively address all of the potential malfunctions, reloads, and situations that could arise.

Outside of the fundamentals and technique they teach it was the delivery that really stood out to me. You can tell these guys really enjoy what they do and they work hard to make sure you are working hard. They really pushed me. But at the same time always made sure that safety was paramount. I got called out once for almost sweeping someone and they caught it immediately were up my A** about it (which I respect and appreciate). That was really important to me. Great work guys. I just can't wait to go back for my next class!!

Last edited by TacticalChihuahua; 02-20-2013 at 7:55 PM..