Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 11-07-2019, 5:51 PM

Default New rossi r92, gtg?

Bought a Henry big boy brass in 45lc from a friend a couple yrs ago. It was his dads who passed away and he was trying to raise some cash for him mom... gun was one of the last his dad bought, didn’t have any sentimental value supposedly... told my friend if he or any of his siblings ever wanted it back I’d sell back to them, but in meantime I’d be honored to own his dads rifle.

now a couple yrs later he wants it back, no biggie, take it. Been thinking of getting a rossi anyway, in 357. Thinking 20” SS .357, $545.

Went to LGS today to see if they had anything in stock to look at, just a 16” blued 45lc. Fine, it’ll let me hold one. Faaaack, what an ugly duckling! Wood firmest was actually pretty good, but my kids red Ryder has better looking wood, feed gate was full of gunk, receiver looked like it had been kicked around the store for an hour, end of barrel had wear on the finish. I know it’s just a $500 rossi but that’s the worst looking new firearm I’ve ever seen...

Hoping the SS would be better looking with a few scratches. Doesn’t have to be a showpiece but I try to care for my guns, hate to start out with such an abused looking one.

My question is this. New recent production Rossi’s good to go? Have Any reliability issues? Anything that can be done to the stock to purdy it up a little? Better off paying $710 for big boy steel with Henry’s customer service reputation?

Last edited by Maht_g; 11-07-2019 at 5:59 PM..
Old 11-07-2019, 7:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

73's are the hot ticket in Cowboy Action. Uberti's are really nice looking but not cheap.
Old 11-07-2019, 7:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maht_g View Post

Hoping the SS would be better looking with a few scratches. Doesn’t have to be a showpiece but I try to care for my guns, hate to start out with such an abused looking one.
They manage to screw up the SS models too. I'll dros my 4th R92 next week. The 3 that I have (sold the 44) all had problems. They use different hardwoods that hardly ever match and have very little grain. They don't come close to the qualty of Winchester but even my new Winchester 92 in 45colt had to be sent back for work.

MLC, First 3
Old 11-07-2019, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

I bought a Rossi 92 around 6-7 years ago, it simply works. It isn't pretty but it functions well...more so after slicking it up with the Steve's Gunz video.
I wish these guns came more as a kit gun and a few bucks cheaper.
Old 11-07-2019, 8:42 PM
Veteran Member

Pretty hard to compare a R92 to a Winchester when the latter is more than twice the cost.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:09 PM

The older ones are not bad looking at all. Nice dark wood, color case hardened receiver. PM if you’re interested in this one. I stopped shooting cowboy action several years back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2019, 7:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post
The older ones are not bad looking at all. Nice dark wood, color case hardened receiver. PM if you’re interested in this one. I stopped shooting cowboy action several years back.

What caliber is your Rossi pictured? Thanks.

MLC
Old 11-08-2019, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
What caliber is your Rossi pictured? Thanks.

MLC

.45LC

Old 11-08-2019, 4:26 AM

Not really interested in shooting cowboy action, or spending any more than the Henry. I know people like the older Rossi’s, even if they are s little tough aroun the edges, just curious about the ones they’re making now after their hiatus. I was shocked at the appearance of the one I saw, and the owner said it had only been on the shelf for a few days. Would’ve bet it was used and had been on a horse back hunting trip getting knocked around. Thinking it might be smart to kick it a nickel and upgrade to the Henry.
Old 11-08-2019, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Not really interested in shooting cowboy action, or spending any more than the Henry. I know people like the older Rossi’s, even if they are s little tough aroun the edges, just curious about the ones they’re making now after their hiatus. I was shocked at the appearance of the one I saw, and the owner said it had only been on the shelf for a few days. Would’ve bet it was used and had been on a horse back hunting trip getting knocked around. Thinking it might be smart to kick it a nickel and upgrade to the Henry.
It might be worth your time to read some info on the Rossi Rifleman forum.

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewforum.php?f=9

Haven't been over there for a while, but I recall finding some good info on that site before.
Old 11-08-2019, 5:16 AM

Quote:

Henry makes a great rifle with a very smooth action, but loading that tube from the front with the plunger sticking way out was always a deal breaker for me. The loading gate is, IMO, part of the joy of a lever action.

The one in the photo above would be cheaper than a new Rossi - way cheaper than a Henry.

Old 11-08-2019, 5:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post
Henry makes a great rifle with a very smooth action, but loading that tube from the front with the plunger sticking way out was always a deal breaker for me. The loading gate is, IMO, part of the joy of a lever action.

The one in the photo above would be cheaper than a new Rossi - way cheaper than a Henry.

IIRC, Henry started making models with side loading.
Old 11-08-2019, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
IIRC, Henry started making models with side loading.

Not in pistol calibers as far as I know.

Old 11-08-2019, 8:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
just curious about the ones they’re making now after their hiatus
Nothing has changed. Cycling and double feeds are still a problem.

MLC, First 3
Old 11-09-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post

That’s what I’m worried about. By the time I buy the rossi and the safety plug I’m within 130 bucks of the Henry steel... others are talking spring kits etc... so for 100$ more I’ll have the Henry that is made in USA and has customer service that’ll bend over backwards to solve a problem.

Leaning towards made in America or not at all!
Old 11-26-2019, 11:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
You'd think that I'd learn after the first one. So here's the pros and cons for number 4. A 20" blues carbine. This is my first 20" carbine. This is the lever gun that I've wanted for 50 years, it took 9 lever guns to get it.

Pro's
1) The wood on this one is the best of the bunch. It matches in color and grain. I've had one that looked like the butt stock was made of a completely different wood from a different world.

2) This one cycles smoother than any of my other Rossi's, very nice.

3) It will launch empty brass over my right shoulder into the bed of my truck parked 20 feet behind me.

4) The bluing on it is amazing. High polish and beautiful...

Con's
1) The wood looked like it had some kind of clear blotchy finish over the shoe polish stain. I used a little paint stripper and then some of my 1/3rd mix on it.

2) Doesn't like the longer .357 load. If I lever slow, my reloads will work ok. 38sp is no problem. This should work itself out with use.

3) It will launch empty brass over my right shoulder into the back of somebody else truck parked 20 feet behind me.

4) The threads on the mag plug are stripped. I'll look at it a little closer when my SS mag plug and safety plug get here. A little blue loc-tite might work until a new one is purchased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191123_150958.jpg (99.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20191123_150936.jpg (97.7 KB, 41 views)

MLC, First 3
Old 11-08-2019, 9:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Bought a Henry big boy brass in 45lc from a friend a couple yrs ago. It was his dads who passed away and he was trying to raise some cash for him mom... gun was one of the last his dad bought, didn’t have any sentimental value supposedly... told my friend if he or any of his siblings ever wanted it back I’d sell back to them, but in meantime I’d be honored to own his dads rifle.

now a couple yrs later he wants it back, no biggie, take it. Been thinking of getting a rossi anyway, in 357. Thinking 20” SS .357, $545.

Went to LGS today to see if they had anything in stock to look at, just a 16” blued 45lc. Fine, it’ll let me hold one. Faaaack, what an ugly duckling! Wood firmest was actually pretty good, but my kids red Ryder has better looking wood, feed gate was full of gunk, receiver looked like it had been kicked around the store for an hour, end of barrel had wear on the finish. I know it’s just a $500 rossi but that’s the worst looking new firearm I’ve ever seen...

My question is this. New recent production Rossi’s good to go? Have Any reliability issues? Anything that can be done to the stock to purdy it up a little? Better off paying $710 for big boy steel with Henry’s customer service reputation?
I picked up a slightly used Rossi 92 stainless a few months back, 357 chambering. I also bought a spring kit (not sure from where on line, small seller) and did a fair amount of polishing with wet 'n dry fine grit paper. Makes quite a difference.

The Rossi wood is bland and too light, fairly soft. You can buy from Boyds, but that ups the cost by about $150.00. And you lose the curved metal buttstock, which I kind of like. I used Pilkingtons "Winchester pre-64" stain and finished with Fairtrimmers Military XO. No need to strip or sand, the Pilkingtons is alcohol based and penetrates, stays put. I let it dry overnight before applying XO. Be careful, the stock can get dark real quick.

My main gripe is that damn safety. I removed the one on mine and inserted a plug. If I sell the thing I'll reinstall. Others may prefer to keep it on.

Last edited by dfletcher; 11-08-2019 at 9:40 AM..
Old 11-08-2019, 9:57 AM
Veteran Member

I’ve got a brand new 16” stainless .44 sitting in the safe at home, got it about 10 days ago. Hoping I’ll have time this weekend to shoot it and I’ll let you know how it goes
Old 11-08-2019, 10:15 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Hey dc, common 240 grain .44 Mag loads will feel like something from that sub-6 lb carbine, but it should also be a metric sheet ton of fun!

Looking fwd to hearing of your results.

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 11-08-2019, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I like the idea of these 200 grain 900 FPS loads, but since it’s new wanted to try multiple loads to see what works. The copper solids I grabbed as they were the option in stock and I’m going turkey hunting in a couple of weeks, grabbed a pig tag for when I go and figured I’d bring this along for the heck of it.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, I was getting my wires crossed with another thread. I got a box of 240 grain rounds rated at 1275 FPS, a box of 200 grain at 900, and 225 copper solids at 1225.
Old 11-08-2019, 5:00 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Quote:
Sorry, I was getting my wires crossed with another thread. I got a box of 240 grain rounds rated at 1275 FPS, a box of 200 grain at 900, and 225 copper solids at 1225.
Remember to thoroughly clean your bore of copper jacket (gilded metal alloy) fouling before using the pure copper solids. Barnes offers such a solvent, be advised its has a heavy concentration of ammonia in it. But it works.

Old 11-08-2019, 4:54 PM

you can broaden your search parameters, OP - LSI marketed them as a Puma M92
Old 11-08-2019, 5:28 PM
Veteran Member

I got two R92 couple years ago and they looked fine. Nice wood fit and finish. I did the Steve Gunz treatment. Function is perfect for hundreds of rounds.

One in 45lc 20" octagonal bbl (it's heavy) and a 357 mag 16" bbl. Great fun to shoot and double fun to shoot fast!
Old 11-10-2019, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

So I shot my new 16” .44 first time ever today. I’m not too confident in my own abilities with this wee little rifle so I brought my own target stand to set up a 50 yard target on the 100 yard range.

Gun ran fine, no issues. Loading gate was tight but once I got the hang of driving the shells in then up it was easy. Gun is tight but cycled 100%, no issues.

The cheap 900 FPS rounds were a delight and had no recoil. The 225 grain Barnes copper solids shot well and didn’t have too much worse recoil. The gun actually performed best with a box of Hornady lever evolution 225 grain ammo. It’s actually funny because my vision sucks and the people next to me were commenting on the insane report of those rounds going off. I thought I’d go check the target and see I shagged rounds all over the place but it was a decent group. I’ll post that pic below. All of the rounds did well, didn’t bring a ruler but all in all it was all 2.5-4” groups, which isn’t great but 50 yards offhand it’s minute of pig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19AD4883-629A-4983-B755-E8484EE75EA1.jpg (11.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 11-10-2019, 12:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Default A little rough

I've got the stainless 20" in .45 Colt.

Love this gun.

Very handy to stow in tight places and light as a feather.

Great for camping or canoeing.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

I have an older Rossi .45 and a newer one in .44 with the safety. Neither has been a problem. The .45 is fun and shoots wells. The .44 does jump a bit with full magnum loads, but also functions fine with .44 SPL rounds. I handload so it is not an issue. I generally stick to RNFP, SP or HP jacketed. I also usually shoot the powder coated bullets in the rifles when shooting cast.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif Hunter View Post
The .44 does jump a bit with full magnum loads, .
If you slug the barrel, you might find the need for a fatter bullet.

MLC, First 3
Old 11-12-2019, 11:09 AM

I picked up a new R92 a few months back. It's a little bit of an ugly duckling. The fit and finish of the metal, particularly at the loading gate, leaves some to be desired. I haven't experienced any reliability issues with the rifle. It's a little stiff, but I suppose that has something to do with the newness. I'm sure it'll smooth out after more range time.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

You guys aren't helping my will power at all! Nice and light .357 Rossi would be the cats a**!

MLC
Old 11-12-2019, 1:34 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Quote:
You guys aren't helping my will power at all! Nice and light .357 Rossi would be the cats a**!

MLC

Hang in there, Tom. If I could get Mark to return a phone call, there’s another MLC lever day in the immediate future... like late next week! (Thurs or Fri)

Old 11-26-2019, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Fine looking rifle right there Mark. So far, the 10th looks good for a shoot. Gotta try that new scope on the .45 ya know.

MLC
Old 11-26-2019, 5:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So far, the 10th looks good

MLC
Tom, any one of those days from the 10th though the 12th, Tues, Wed or Thur are good with me. Cole should have his license buy then so no more Mr Mom of course weather permitted

MLC, First 3
Old 11-27-2019, 8:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I got nottin

MLC, First 3

Last edited by golfish; 11-27-2019 at 11:41 PM..
Old 11-30-2019, 5:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ooops, wrong thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191123_151003.jpg (98.9 KB, 25 views)

MLC, First 3
Old 11-30-2019, 6:10 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

While I prefer to shoot midweek, es no bueno for the next two or three weeks.

You fellers have fun, now.

Old 12-03-2019, 8:20 PM
From anotha motha

I love my Rossi 92 SS 16". Works flawlessly. It does shoot out spent shells well into the next shooting lane and tick people off though.
Old 12-19-2019, 3:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a few pictures of the new Rossi.

MLC, First 3

Last edited by golfish; 12-19-2019 at 8:17 PM..
Old 12-19-2019, 4:22 PM
Veteran Member

Mark, loading more of those Missouri 180's and 2400. Man, I really like that combo. A lot! Accurate and a hard hitter.

MLC
Old 12-19-2019, 5:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Mark, loading more of those Missouri 180's and 2400. Man, I really like that combo. A lot! Accurate and a hard hitter.

MLC
Yeah Buddy, I mustard up some more of them hard hitters with a little extra push yesterday.
I got to get out of this sh!+ h0!3 state, I want to be able to walk out the back door and let it fly.

Chris has me wanting a 44mag, about a minute after I closed the deal on this one I wanted to swap it, Of course now I'm glad I didn't because this one is so nice. I'm a sick puppy in the sense that I like to have a bunch of different calibers, the more the better.

MLC, First 3

Last edited by golfish; 12-19-2019 at 8:07 PM..