Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 02-16-2010, 1:41 AM
Veteran Member

no i didnt mean to hate on them for rr. its just i guess to us outside the gates there was a war going on we would get shot at, rocketed, mortared, and we would return the favor. but the way people would act inside the gates was insane. it was like they were diddy boppin back on the block. and most of the people on the base never left it or even went to the gates except when they rotated home or were arriving.
Old 02-16-2010, 9:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain82 View Post
no i didnt mean to hate on them for rr. its just i guess to us outside the gates there was a war going on we would get shot at, rocketed, mortared, and we would return the favor. but the way people would act inside the gates was insane. it was like they were diddy boppin back on the block. and most of the people on the base never left it or even went to the gates except when they rotated home or were arriving.
"As infantrymen we may be recognized by what we do, but as infantrymen we never ask for recognition."

Most don't leave the gate because their jobs require that they don't, but the ones who do leave the wire are the ones you want out there. Leaving the wire demands strength of will and quick intelligence, not the lack of them. Those who leave the wire willingly sacrifice their immediate safety for the lives of their brothers.

We all had the choice, in the choosing of our jobs, of whether to stay in the wire or walk out it. Each choice is necessary, each choice important. You must not fault those who did not choose your path, they are all needed.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goathead View Post
"As infantrymen we may be recognized by what we do, but as infantrymen we never ask for recognition."

Most don't leave the gate because their jobs require that they don't, but the ones who do leave the wire are the ones you want out there. Leaving the wire demands strength of will and quick intelligence, not the lack of them. Those who leave the wire willingly sacrifice their immediate safety for the lives of their brothers.

We all had the choice, in the choosing of our jobs, of whether to stay in the wire or walk out it. Each choice is necessary, each choice important. You must not fault those who did not choose your path, they are all needed.
Well said. From the supply guy to the 11B. Everyones got theyr role in things. I do tip my hat to those that go outside the wire and are the "boots on the ground" . Whether Army, Corps, Navy.. Whatever. It takes courage and although they dont seek recognition they are not forgotten. There are those of us out there who see it on the "boob tube" and hear about it on the news. Guys are heros in my book. Especially in a society that seems to be leaning towards "every man for himself".. These guys and gals get it done.
Im a 15U(CH-47 CE) heading over in 2011 and look forward to seeing what its like and hope I can help make sure these folks get where they need to be safely along with any supplies they need in a hurry! Thats what we do!

"If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge" -Ronald Reagan speaking of the newhall incident in 1970.
Old 02-16-2010, 8:20 PM

The whole "grunts hating POGs" thing is actually a rare specimen out in Iraq, at least from the grunts I served with out in Iraq. Yeah, I had a POG job, but I also had the knowledge to almost single-handedly run an entire camp's communication structure. My PMOS was telephone systems/personal computer intermediate repairman, but I deployed to Iraq as a SatCom operator and generator mechanic. OJT cross training at it's finest. Maybe the grunts just liked and respected me because I provided cable TV, internet, and sat phones to keep in touch with their families...
Old 02-16-2010, 8:45 PM

I had a buddy in high school go into the Air Force after graduation, and after he did his 4 years he came back and had SOOOOOO many stories. Apparently he operated the ECM gear on an MC-130 for SEAL Team 6 (I love how the fakers almost always flock to working with the SEALS, and if I ask which team its always Team 6)... He also talked about deploying with an Army unit through Iraq in a Bradley, getting ambushed and taking out no less than 6 people himself, then there was when he was interrogating two terrorists and he shot one of them in the head to get the other to talk... Pretty impressive for 2A6X6 working on C-17s (Aircraft Electrical and Environmental Systems).

Funny thing is, I grew up in a military family, and had a lot of college classmates get deployed, and none of the guys who I knew were in combat ever want to talk about it... and this guy just insisted more (and somehow SEAL Team 6 became Delta Force); I felt like a dick for it, but I can't be that kind of person's friend.
Old 02-18-2010, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphr02 View Post
Apparently he operated the ECM gear on an MC-130 for SEAL Team 6 (I love how the fakers almost always flock to working with the SEALS, and if I ask which team its always Team 6)
I will be completely honest here. I did work with SEALs out in Iraq. Well, actually, I worked FOR them for about a day. I had to set up a couple SIPR (Secret internet) computers for them. I asked one of their LT's what SEAL team it was... He told me he was not going to tell me for the reason that he was tired of people going back stateside and claiming they worked with SEALs when they never did.

Long story short, I never found out what SEAL team it was, because at that point I didn't care anymore. My work for them was done, and I am not the kind of person to go home making up war stories of my "adventure with the SEALs".
Old 02-20-2010, 9:40 PM

I read the stories on here, its pretty funny. I also find it funny to go back to Benning for school and hear these basic trainees tell ther lies to people. I think the best way to shut them up is to ask for their ID and then show them yours. By the way, I'm new to this site and I was wondering how most of you have your rank, badges and ribbons on your sig. If someone would be kind enough to help me out PM me. Thanks.

Oh, by the way, has anyone read the Army Times with that retired PFC posing as a general?
Old 02-21-2010, 1:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

We have a guy deployed with us like that. Talks the most **** but cant back it up. We usually hear him lying to females trying to pick them up. He walked around with an 82nd combat patch that he never earned and a CIB that he never earned also. They moved him out of the company because he was such a dirtbag and also to protect him from the other guys. Like this sgt who was actually in the 82nd or guys who got tired of his war stories he got off the internet.
Old 02-21-2010, 8:49 PM

I recently got in touch with an old high school buddy. We emailed back and forth for a while and he always had these stories that I just let go. Basically amounted to he was ex secret service and he is hiding out because of all the people after him. He's real sick so I just let it go. He has a son-in-law that is in the army and just came back from Iraq. He was telling me how proud he was of him and then said he was awarded MOH and that it wasn't the normal blue ribboned one it was a special purple one. And the Prez selected him to be a secret service agent when his tour is up. So this kid had some papers from the white house that just happened to list the SS instructors from 20 years ago and my friends name was on it. This of course caused a lot of hugging and I knew it was you stuff. Then they had to eat that paper. I don't write him much after that, just enough to answer his questions, no chit chat. Special purple ribbon. Poor guy, I'd call him on it if he wasn't so sick now.

Last edited by rstbkt69; 02-21-2010 at 8:51 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-21-2010, 9:35 PM

Im special forces.

My BF2 stats say so.
Old 02-22-2010, 5:58 AM

He spoke of the purple Ribon?? No wonder he's sick now.... You never speak of the purple ribon
Old 02-22-2010, 10:11 AM

Smile

Man I don't think he has put 2 and 2 together to come up with that. I bet you are right though. Some spam bot tapped his mail and saw he let the cat out of thr bag and now he has been infected with purpleitis.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:09 AM

my Criminal justice teacher / 20 year LEO tried saying he was a UDT/SEAL... then when I said that's where I'm headed and asked his BUD/s class and UDT team number he back pedaled and said he won't talk about it. My bull****-dar kicked in the second he started talking about demo. Atleast he hasn't brought it back up in class cause it'll be hard biting my tongue a second time.
Old 03-06-2010, 2:38 PM

Default Kid pretending to be a Marine

http://www.facebook.com/pages/FN-BOO...9&id=569794765

getting chewed out by a gunny
Old 03-06-2010, 8:45 PM

Default close, but no cigar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
The Korean war started June 27, 1950....
The Korean conflict started on June 25th, 1950 and is remembered by the Korean people as "Yook Ee Oh" (apologies for the crappy phonetic spelling) which means "625" - June 25th.

Oh, I was a 98G (and 11C my first up)

Have a nice day
Old 03-29-2010, 7:23 PM
Veteran Member

No poser stories, guess I have been lucky. But I have 3 stories of guys who were there and didn't let on.

I know this guy who is built like a fireplug and has a very quiet mannerism about him. Then we all learn he was RTO for his Ranger battalion. The clue was sometimes he would wear his SF Oakleys which were built just slightly different than the civilian version and he would wear the Ranger BN tee shirt every so often. When we tried asking him about some of his OIF/OEF stories, he would give something vague and talk about Ranger's primary missions like taking airfields and that's about it. Never anything specific like if he shot people or wore a necklace of ears.

I work with a former Marine. Funny guy. I messed with him once. He was in Nam but didn't talk about it much. Saw some pix of him from Da Nang. So one time, while we were chatting with another coworker, I started talking about my time in the Nam. The former Marine got very excited and asked where I was stationed and what outfit I was with and so on and so on. I told him about me being in the Ia Drang valley and how we assaulted Hamburger Hill with the 1st Air Cavalry and after a few minutes... he looked at me and realized that when Hamburger Hill happened, I wasn't even born yet. He got a good laugh out of that one.

My other coworker was SF Green Beret in the Nam. Also never talked about it. I heard a few things here and there about it but he never said much other than he carried some specialized equipment on the team and his SF medic skills qualified him to be as good as a doctor from 1879. When he retired, his wife brought out some photos and that's when I finally heard some stories about his exploits. That's when I realized I had been working and joking with a true man among men.

Guys who have been there done that don't need to talk about it and share it with the world. They know what they've done. They know it's enough for them to know what they did.

Thank you all for your service.
Old 03-31-2010, 8:26 AM

have worked with SF guys before and they for the most part are the coolest of the cool. I think the funniest thing is seeing guys wearing SF combat patches. They tell the "best" SF stories about what they did.
Old 04-16-2010, 7:46 AM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

'mafmike' on leatherneck.com got busted...

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=68329

The title is....."United States Marine".

Old 04-16-2010, 8:04 AM
Banned

I love when they weed those guys out.
Old 04-16-2010, 8:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Off to get my picture taken I stopped for a haircut on the way. While under the barber smock another gentleman walks in and gets the chair beside me. With two male barbers and two customers the talks go from women to cars to guns. Then the fun starts.

My neighbors says he is in the Army. Great! What MOS? I ask. Oh that's classified. He speaks 4 languages, has a level 38 top secret clearance, and is a green beret.

He actually was believing himself. I had to let him continue.

Wow green beret? Clearance? Languages? Ooooh! Ahhhhh! Oooooh!

He took the bait. He has been all over the place but can't say where. Any question I posed to him that required one week of basic training to answer was automaticlaly classified, level 38. He briefed presidents, had secret compartments in his house and car, and several computer chips in his body.

You know the car salesman on True Lies? Like him, times a hundred. By now even the barbers were rolling their eyes.

My haircut was done first. I told my neighbor that I have to go get my picture taken in hopes of getting promoted. The barber worked the timing well, and pulled the smock off of me in a grandiose move.

I stood up in my Class A's, put on my jacket with my E-7 stripes, 6 service stripes, 20-odd ribbons, and the other standard stuff fr those of us not lucky enough to have a level 38 clearance.

Sad part is, the guy still had answers. Oh you're regular Army, yea you are basically our cover, I do things while the enemy is looking at you....

Some people are just mental.
Old 04-16-2010, 8:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If we stepped outside, we'd drown.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 04-16-2010, 8:26 AM
Calguns Addict

I know a few special operators. My folks live 40 minutes from Little Creek where the SEALs are based, in Virginia. One of their neighbors is a former team commander. As most of you can guess, his stories are rare, and not very detailed.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I know a few special operators. My folks live 40 minutes from Little Creek where the SEALs are based, in Virginia. One of their neighbors is a former team commander. As most of you can guess, his stories are rare, and not very detailed.
I bumped into a former SEAL while i was visiting the USS Arizona memorial. I spoke to him but, like your neighbor, his stories were very vague. Same with a few current operators I met while an acquaintance was introducing his M14 EBR to them at a local range. Quiet guys, very understated....yeah you know they're hardcore.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Roseville area, or wherever they pay my confiscatory rates for things only I know how to do (lol)

I'm related to very high-ranking retired naval officer on one side of the family, and a bunch high-speed/low-drag types on the other side ... never served myself.

As such I've had enough contact with that personality type that I know what to expect. I don't know a single one who likes to tell war stories. Someone too loud, too free and easy with the exciting tale ... probably not the real deal.

I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE
Old 04-16-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Z50 View Post
There are many stories out there, some real, some not. My career was rather unorthodox, and I served with Special Forces, Marines, etc because nowadays "joint ops" is a way of doing business in our military. Not that it matters, but I have awards, certificates and orders in my file to prove it. In my travels, I have been in conversations with many young folks returning from or going to war. However, I usually just keep quiet, and let those young studs be young studs. Bravado is part of the culture, and unit pride is an important thing. I do thank them for their service.

I know I can tell within about 2 minutes if a guy (or gal) is straight-up, telling a few war stories, or is a true imposter. Imposters, those who steal valor of others, should be exposed and dealt with harshly.

Well said
Old 04-16-2010, 6:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONECUTTER View Post
My two best stories:

1. My co-worker got a divorce from her ex-special forces in Vietman husband. Had all kind of uniforms and medals. None were his. It came up in the divorce that he was never even in the military. He lied for over 15 years.

2. I started working with little guy who was kind of quiet but I knew used to be in the military. He was currently in the guard. One day he was talking about doing HALO jumps, Marine Dive school, Ops with SEAL's and Green Berets, Hi-Speed this and that. When I asked what branch he was in he said Air Force I laughed....then found out he used to be a Combat Controller and it was all true. He has been my best friend for the last few years.

I guess you never know.

A friend went on about being in Iraq as a Marine and he had a special assignment with a British unit... OK... Then I found out what ANGLICO meant... (Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Company) He coordinated Air & Artillary support...

Last edited by HowardW56; 06-07-2010 at 12:09 PM..
Old 04-16-2010, 6:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieTactics View Post
I'm related to very high-ranking retired naval officer on one side of the family, and a bunch high-speed/low-drag types on the other side ... never served myself.

As such I've had enough contact with that personality type that I know what to expect. I don't know a single one who likes to tell war stories. Someone too loud, too free and easy with the exciting tale ... probably not the real deal.
I know a guy like that, was a Master Diver/UDT before there were SEALS, then he was a SEAL He didn't like to talk about it at all...
Old 04-21-2010, 9:09 AM
California Major

Default Quiet Professionals

They call themselves Quiet Professionals for a reason...The first thing that sets off the BS-meter is guy that steps up to tell his war story.

Been around my share of operators, and they really don't volunteer stories. Unless you get several of them together...
Old 04-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Banned

When I was getting a tat about 6 years ago. Some guy was talking loud about being a former special forces in the Marine Corps and how CIA + blackwater wants him to work for them. So, while I was getting tat, I asked him so what was your MOS?
He said, I do not remember what is MOS stand for because it has been long time since I got out. (he looks like 23 years old the most).
I said, thats cool, sometimes people forget stuff like that (not really)
I asked him this question, something that no service member will ever forget. When was your EAS and who was your Drill Instructors?
He said, after being special forces for too long, I do not care about those stuff.
I straight out told him, you are full of ****, stop wasting my time before my marines friends who are waiting for me outside will beat the crap out of you.
He just left.
Old 05-01-2010, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl.Park View Post
When I was getting a tat about 6 years ago. Some guy was talking loud about being a former special forces in the Marine Corps and how CIA + blackwater wants him to work for them. So, while I was getting tat, I asked him so what was your MOS?
He said, I do not remember what is MOS stand for because it has been long time since I got out. (he looks like 23 years old the most).
I said, thats cool, sometimes people forget stuff like that (not really)
I asked him this question, something that no service member will ever forget. When was your EAS and who was your Drill Instructors?
He said, after being special forces for too long, I do not care about those stuff.
I straight out told him, you are full of ****, stop wasting my time before my marines friends who are waiting for me outside will beat the crap out of you.
He just left.
I've always been told "you will never forget your Drill Instructors" Funny, because I can't remember mine to save my life. I always have to go to my red book to read their names.
Old 05-01-2010, 9:21 PM

Location: Currently deployed in Afghanistan but from the east bay

Well I'm reg army, not even airborne/assault, but because of the shortage of medics in my part of Afghanistan I have on 4 occasions gotten to go out with special forces and state department. It's not uncommon. Most of the sf guys you would never believe are sf but they are. There is this one guy who goes on patrols with no iotv/plate carrier and wears an orange longhorns cap they all have facial hair and some of them have beer guts. Not what I had imagines for the best of the best.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk310 View Post
I've always been told "you will never forget your Drill Instructors" Funny, because I can't remember mine to save my life. I always have to go to my red book to read their names.

Drill Sergeant Perez, Drills Sergeant Scott, Drill Sergeant Berkebile, and another one I'm forgetting (short black dude, thick Alabama accent). It's been 14 years since I went to OSUT (Alpha 2/54) in Benning. LOL

I almost threw up when I went to a movie theater about 2 years after I got out. And they were playing an Army of One commercial and here comes Drill Sergeant Berkebile in all his Special Forces glory. I came *this* close to beating my face.
Old 05-02-2010, 8:14 AM

Its amazing how even us veterans can bend the truth to make it sound like we did so much more without really even lying. I watched a guy explain what his medals were, "This is a National Defense, its for defending our freedoms. This is a Global War on Terrorism, its for going to war with terrorists. This is a Good Conduct ribbon, its for being one of the best marines we had." People fall for that, thinking he had gone to war in defense of our liberties, when really, he stayed stateside his whole enlistment and managed to stay out of trouble.
Old 05-02-2010, 9:02 AM
Calguns Addict

SSG Stinson and good ol' SSG Weymeier. I will never forget that name again. I forgot it when doing pushups and had to stay down until I could remember it. 1980. I'll take those names to the grave!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themailman View Post
Its amazing how even us veterans can bend the truth to make it sound like we did so much more without really even lying. I watched a guy explain what his medals were, "This is a National Defense, its for defending our freedoms. This is a Global War on Terrorism, its for going to war with terrorists. This is a Good Conduct ribbon, its for being one of the best marines we had." People fall for that, thinking he had gone to war in defense of our liberties, when really, he stayed stateside his whole enlistment and managed to stay out of trouble.

I saw this thread just yesterday and just this morning someone asked me what did I do in the military. I though about this thread... so I told them "I was in a special force team put together to fight the war on drugs." (That would be JTF for all you hard chargin' Devil Dogs out there). They responded "SPECIAL FORCES.. WOW!" I said... "yeah..." HAHA!
Old 05-02-2010, 2:16 PM
Calguns Addict

JTF-6! Hooah!
Old 05-02-2010, 2:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnre View Post
JTF-6! Hooah!
JTF-6. that was used when i putting up the fence on the Mexican border in 92, 93.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 05-02-2010, 3:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Major View Post
They call themselves Quiet Professionals for a reason...The first thing that sets off the BS-meter is guy that steps up to tell his war story.

Been around my share of operators, and they really don't volunteer stories. Unless you get several of them together...
SF guys do tend to stick out. if you have been around them. they have a certain walk and demeanor to them and also they do have an exception to policy in regards to uniform, grooming standards and so on while in theater.

Quote:
7breaths
Well I'm reg army, not even airborne/assault, but because of the shortage of medics in my part of Afghanistan I have on 4 occasions gotten to go out with special forces and state department. It's not uncommon. Most of the sf guys you would never believe are sf but they are. There is this one guy who goes on patrols with no iotv/plate carrier and wears an orange longhorns cap they all have facial hair and some of them have beer guts. Not what I had imagines for the best of the best.
heck dude i was just a gunner for my team and we gave them target info and they asked i wanted to come along and gun for them in a HUMMWV. and i have to tell you i have never been treated so well and recieved some great training while they were there, that i will remember them for the rest of my life for have the dinstinct honor and privelege to serve with them.

also i'm not affraid to share my stories of my time in Iraq with SF and everyone else we went on missions with. it's no BS either and my stories are'nt ones that are crazy sh*t happened on them.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
contact the governor
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.

Last edited by chris; 05-02-2010 at 3:04 PM..
Old 05-02-2010, 6:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
JTF-6. that was used when i putting up the fence on the Mexican border in 92, 93.
I was with them in 1992. I still remember the supposed secret information we were told: "There is a drug problem in California."
Old 05-03-2010, 5:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnre View Post
I was with them in 1992. I still remember the supposed secret information we were told: "There is a drug problem in California."
LMAO!!!!!!!! dude that was alot of fun on the border putting that fence up.

contact the governor
NRA Life Member.