Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:57 AM

Default Got a baby now, need a 'baby care' bug out bag...

Our bug out bags are well equipped for the 2 of us + dog for several days. The recent wildfire events inspired us to go through the bags. We changed clothing out for cold weather, and re familiarized ourselves with what we have packed.

Then realized we have nothing packed for bugging out with a 6 month old baby. We have our diaper backpack that we regularly carry that has a small med kit, wipes, change of clothes, blanket, toys, etc. That is the easy stuff. The challenging part is going to be keeping him supplied with enough nutrition for X amount of days.

For food he is still breastfeeding, but mamas milk supply is gradually drying up so we have to suppliment with formula. He is starting to eat solid food, but it should not be counted on as the sole source of nutrition at this point. Formula is in dry powder form which requires mixing with water, comes in a 1lb can that has +/- 3 yr shelf life unopened. At this point, the 1lb can will feed him for 10 days.

I had kicked around the idea of vacuum packing formula in small packs, each packed for 1 feeding. But I am concerned about the safety of the food, I dont want it to become rancid or accidentally introduce bacteria into it while packing.

What options should I look at for packing his formula?
Old 11-13-2018, 12:22 PM

We have a baby on the way and are wondering the same things...

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 11-13-2018, 12:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Whatever is in the diaper bag now X2, add jars of baby food and Pedialyte too.

Here's more ... https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=527288
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 11-13-2018, 12:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Also as a side note, diaper rash ointment with a high zinc content doubles as a sun screen for everybody. Bigger zinc content as a percent is gooderest. Works great.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 11-13-2018, 3:38 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Typical diaper bag is set up for something like 4 - 6 hours.

I think the biggest problem is most of the supplies are bulky; consider diapers for a week, wipes for a week, clean clothes for a week; 1 can of formula may last 10 days, but what about your water source?

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-13-2018, 3:52 PM

Since your baby has start on solid food, start buying baby smoothie packs and rotate, say, weekly. There are many different brands and types on the market. Example
Old 11-13-2018, 3:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

https://tacticalbabygear.com/product...SABEgImL_D_BwE
Old 11-14-2018, 5:46 AM

I picked up 2 large cans of formula today just to start a stockpile. The can says once opened, product is good for 30 days... What is the shelf life on the smoothies? I think it would not be a bad idea to stash a few of those in everyones bag.

For baby food, we have this nifty baby food machine that you put fruit, veggies into and the machine cooks + purees it. Then we pour that into ice cube trays, and thaw cubes out as we go. We have several freezer bags full of pureed pears, sweet potato and carrots. This works great, but when the power goes out I don't think the baby food will last very long.
Old 11-14-2018, 8:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Baby BOB should last as long as mom & dad's bags. 3 day? 1 week? 1 month?
Decide on a time frame and establish where you're bugging out to and build the bag accordingly.
Takes 2 days (estimated) to bug out to new location? Build BOB for 2 days or more. More is better.

We carried enough for a full day in a diaper bag. Our SOP for non-emergency travel.

*Canned fruits and veggies can be baby prepped using a fork and water in a bowl.
*Canned condensed milk is a God send. Can be watered down to stretch it out some if needed.
*Spare binkies and woobie blankets are a no brainer.
*plastic milk bottles can be cleaned and reused.
*Lots of big diaper pins. Might have to MacGyver a diaper out of spare shirts from your BOB.

You get the idea.
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --

Last edited by FeuerFrei; 11-14-2018 at 9:02 AM..
Old 11-14-2018, 9:01 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
*Lots of big diaper pins. Might have to MacGyver a diaper out of spare shirts from your BOB.
We had diaper service for our kids, and my daughter used/uses disposables for her kids.

Given the problem of carrying around wet, poop-filled cloth diapers, disposables are the way to go in a bug-out situation.

Still might need to use a field expedient, but I sure hope not,

See also an estimate of the number of diapers needed, https://www.livealittlelonger.com/ho...use-in-a-year/ and https://www.parentsfullbox.com/how-m...day-baby-need/

And, while pins have lots of uses, we used clips - no poking the kid! A version I had not seen here- https://www.amazon.com/Toddler-3-Pac...s=diaper+clips. Our preferred brand from lo these many years ago seems no longer available.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 11-14-2018 at 9:12 AM..
Old 11-14-2018, 9:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Disposables are great.
I'm not recommending using clothe diapers. Just being prepared to improvise in case the disposables are all gone or for some reason get wet. Dumped bag in water or rained on etc..
Murphy's law.

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 11-14-2018, 5:10 PM

I added to my kit for this exact purpose. 2 changes of clothes, food, water, small pack of diapers and a unopened pack of costco baby wipes sealed in a gallon zip bag. They can be dried and in a worst case scenario used to line a diaper, and keep the kid clean.
Old 11-15-2018, 7:11 AM

With a 4 and 6 year old ive been through this recently. We did cloth diapers but thats a mom version of the 9mm vs 45 discussion...To me its like the alkaline battery vs rechargeable...

As for food, baby eats what mom and dad eat. The stuff that comes in those jars is hardly edible...
Old 11-15-2018, 11:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Packs of dehydrated fruit, stores forever.
Old 11-15-2018, 2:35 PM

Dont forget some baby meds incase of fevers or any kind of sickness. Having a sick baby is 10 times tougher then us adult.
Old 11-15-2018, 2:45 PM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

throw a NAA mini in there for the baby ... jk

what others posters suggested, plus blanket/beanie/plush toy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858
Old 11-15-2018, 5:40 PM
Calguns Addict

We were trapped for 4 hours on the freeway when my daughter was about 6 months. There as an accident about a 1/2 mile ahead and it was a section of freeway that had no way off, just stuck there until they let us thru.

Anyway, my wife was breast feeding our daughter and we didn't have nearly enough water in the car for one person let alone this situation.

From that experience I realized here in So Cal, WATER is very very important!

I gave all of it to my wife because she was nursing the baby but I was seriously feeling the heat and felt the pain.

Water, and more water!