Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:39 AM

Default BLM safe enough to go solo?

Hi fellas/gals. Simple question. Would this community consider the BLM areas to be safe enough to go alone? I know it's best to go with company, but it's not always possible. Has anyone ever felt strange, Concerned, or even Scared due to questionable characters? My concern is human related, not nature and its forces. I dont want to end up in a "The Hills Have Eyes" situation or have to discharge against anyone. That would be a mess and ruin my love for the sport. Thanks a million.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Calguns Addict

i wouldnt!!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

When in doubt, pull out.
I always say... I said that once.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:49 AM

It depends on where you go.

Having said that, I think that it is fine to go alone.

My rules;

1. set up as far away from everyone else as possible
2. keep your situational awareness up
3. always keep one weapon loaded

Your decision.

Jim
Old 02-12-2014, 11:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I usually rapidfire my AR and 1911 when I first arrive to let everyone know I'm not ****ing around.

Then I keep my guard up... Keep a loaded handgun on your hip at all times, with extra mags.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Calguns Addict

I've never gone alone, but I wouldn't be against it.
My thoughts are to be able to leave very quickly in other words
don't set up a bunch of stuff your not willing to ditch, stay close
to your vehicle.
Always be armed, dont get caught empty. Stop and look around frequently with binocs. Stay armed until you can no longer legally be.
Lock that last firearm up right before you hit the gas pedal.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 02-12-2014, 11:36 AM

Thanks to all for your input. I'll think about it some more. Agreed with all recommendations. Loaded weapon on hip, one by the ankle, extra magazines on the belt, hunting/tactical knife on hip as well, everything locked in car until it will actually be in use, situational awareness, rest and scan area frequently, show of force at start of session (i.e. rapid firing of M1A). I might go for it.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Face palm
Old 02-12-2014, 12:33 PM

I have gone a few times alone. Had no problems. Definitely keep your eyes open and take every precaution.
Only went during the week.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc View Post
i wouldnt!!
Listen to this man. Acquire a friend. Bribe somebody if you have to. Don't go alone. You trip, twist an ankle, you're f'ed.
Old 02-12-2014, 1:06 PM

You should go with someone.
When I lived in Georgia me and my dad would go shooting a lot on public land in and around jasper county. This one time while we were looking for our spot it seemed like we were being followed by a car, we eventually parked at our spot and the car passed us and we set up our gear and started to shoot. While we were shooting my dad noticed that the same car had passed by us about three or four times while we were shooting, and he then told me to stop shooting and he took our rifle and pistol loaded them put the pistol in holster and slung the rifle over his shoulder. Then that same car came and parked next to our car and one person got out with others still in the car my dad walked towards them unslung the rifle and cocked it and basically told him to F-off. The guy got back in his car and drove away, and loaded our stuff into the car and left for home, we never went to shoot in that area again.
Old 02-12-2014, 1:13 PM

The way i look at it, no one messes with one another when all parties are armed. But then the BLM lands i frequent are often packed with people that are always courteous to one another
Old 02-12-2014, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miuk View Post
The way i look at it, no one messes with one another when all parties are armed. But then the BLM lands i frequent are often packed with people that are always courteous to one another
I would not go solo.
Old 02-12-2014, 1:28 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=866148
Old 02-12-2014, 7:06 PM

I rarely have anybody to go with so I have to make the only choice if I want to shoot.... Go alone! However, it seems like every time I have gone there were plenty of people there and have always met really cool guys, girls and kids. I have only gone to Xmas tree lane though. I have gone 6 times recently and every time all parties stopped to let me set up and they usually like it because they want to check or move their targets and didn't want to be the one to say "seize fire" only one time I went early during the week and I was the only one out there except one truck with a couple people shooting in the far distance like 300-400 yards and it felt weird that time. Felt too vonurable so I left. You are no less safe here than at a Walmart or mall. If anything you have a small chance at survival since you too are loaded most likely. I have a self rule of always keeping one magazine of the good ammo on me while I spend my range ammo. Like Jim o60 said keep awareness at all times. If someone shows up that doesn't seem to be curious load up and narrow your chances of danger.
Old 02-12-2014, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
Listen to this man. Acquire a friend. Bribe somebody if you have to. Don't go alone. You trip, twist an ankle, you're f'ed.
I hunted in the wilderness for many years. Even when you have a friend with you can be separated by miles during the day. So pack food the tin foil blanket enough ammo and drinks....don't forget the cell phone. Lidocaine shots needles and thread helps too for those unwanted cuts.
Never thought about danger until one day in Mendocino when I walked in the middle of a bunch of pot plantation. I looked at every leaves while I was backing out.

Last edited by Reelemup; 02-12-2014 at 7:18 PM..
Old 02-12-2014, 7:31 PM

It has never crossed my mind that being on BLM alone would be unsafe.

Where do you people live? lol
Old 02-12-2014, 7:43 PM

I was going to try BLM sometime in the near future. A lot of good points to think about. Good common sense stuff but other things I have not considered.
Old 02-12-2014, 8:19 PM

I always tell people to carry a gun if you're alone, being that you mentioned "the hills have eyes". Always keep it in the back of your mind, as soon as you fire off a round or light a fire people know where you are.

If you go out in the desert and think you're out in the middle of no where, wait until it gets dark. Look around and see how easy it is to spot other peoples campfires and you'll see how far out you really are.

People that actually live out in the desert are another breed, there's something off about them. Don't ever turn your back on them or offer any info about how long you'll be there or how many people.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatgunman View Post
You should go with someone.
When I lived in Georgia me and my dad would go shooting a lot on public land in and around jasper county. This one time while we were looking for our spot it seemed like we were being followed by a car, we eventually parked at our spot and the car passed us and we set up our gear and started to shoot. While we were shooting my dad noticed that the same car had passed by us about three or four times while we were shooting, and he then told me to stop shooting and he took our rifle and pistol loaded them put the pistol in holster and slung the rifle over his shoulder. Then that same car came and parked next to our car and one person got out with others still in the car my dad walked towards them unslung the rifle and cocked it and basically told him to F-off. The guy got back in his car and drove away, and loaded our stuff into the car and left for home, we never went to shoot in that area again.
He was probably lost and going to ask for directions...
Old 02-13-2014, 1:09 AM

When I lived in Perris, I use to frequent the BLM with my girlfriend but on occasions there were times she wasn't up to going and I went alone...

It does get eerie at first, but I've been alone on multiple occasions that it didn't freak me out anymore.

BUT... my advice as some others already mentioned is to be aware of your surroundings and if possible KEEP ONE WEAPON ALWAYS LOADED in case you need to defend yourself.

The way I see it is... If you're too risky of a threat for a bad guy to rob you, they would probably pass especially knowing that there is a chance they'd be gambling with death as well. BUT... on your way home, just be sure there is not suspicious activity or anyone following and you should be good to go.

I've always kept my Smith&Wesson M&P45 handy on my person just in case @#$%! goes down while target shooting.

Last edited by speeedracerr; 02-13-2014 at 1:13 AM..
Old 02-13-2014, 4:31 AM
Veteran Member

You'll be alright
Old 02-13-2014, 6:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronix View Post
Thanks to all for your input. I'll think about it some more. Agreed with all recommendations. Loaded weapon on hip, one by the ankle, extra magazines on the belt, hunting/tactical knife on hip as well, everything locked in car until it will actually be in use, situational awareness, rest and scan area frequently, show of force at start of session (i.e. rapid firing of M1A). I might go for it.
yeah, then all you have to do is relax and enjoy the freedom of nature and the great outdoors.........why do you want to go there if you feel it'a a 24 hr
threat / on alert situation?
Old 02-13-2014, 7:47 AM
Banned

I had an acquaintance from a grass roots second amenidment group i was part of probably twenty years ago, go shooting at the old lytle creek open shooting area. He went alone. He was found stuffed into his trunk, murdered by some gang thugs for his guns.

He was a very nice, friendly guy, always willing to help someone with their shooting and very proud of his guns willing to let others try them out. No one knows if he was just abruptly attacked or if people he was talking to and shooting with turned on him. I remember he was shot by two guns, one of them was his own.

If you go alone, be very careful. It would not be hard for two or more people in a car to approach you and "take you", despite what others here have said about "wearing your gun" and being prepared. Anyone who news you are shooting and approaches you anyway.....well Hmmmmmm. The problem is you never know and you can't shoot first, unless you see them "reaching" for a cell phone in their waistband. Seriously, be careful out there. I have spoken with rangers and CHP before ( never had a problem with my guns or even asked to see them) and was told to be on the look out for "meth-heads" and strangely, old Asians, or anyone else out to steal protected desert tortoises as there were several known to be living near my campsite. I was asked to call LE if I was such a thing.

Last edited by Ronin2; 02-13-2014 at 8:55 AM..
Old 02-13-2014, 7:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It's always better to go with a buddy. More often than not, there is safety in numbers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.
Old 02-13-2014, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz View Post
He was probably lost and going to ask for directions...
no they were rough looking, it wasn't like they were a family out for a picnic
Old 02-16-2014, 4:51 PM

Great reading. Well, I thought it would be ok to go alone; however, I found a couple of buddies to come along. I'm pretty sure it is safe to go alone, but being that as shooters, and fellow Calgunners, we pride ourselves in having some degree of common sense, I went with friends and probably will not go alone. I'll put a number out of thin air and say it is 95% safe to go alone, but why risk that 5%, which can turn tragic, when going with a group will bring that number closer to 100% safe (No such thing as 100% safe). Again, Im pretty well trained and can take care of myself quite well, but like my original post said, I don't want to have to protect myself. I like shooting for sport, not combat. Thanks for all the input.
Old 02-16-2014, 5:03 PM

Don't forget, the buddy-system isn't just for potential post-apocalyptic motorcycle gangs or cartel enforcers -- what if you break an ankle, get a snake-bite, catch a ricochet? I think those things would be way more likely than getting jacked.

Shoot, I prefer to make sure we have two vehicles when I got blm, don't want to have to walk out if there's car problems
Old 02-18-2014, 8:14 AM

TS77. Exactly.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As a Boy Scout Scoutmaster I concur with TS77. The buddy system is THE way to go.

BSA Asst. Scoutmaster
CGN Contributor
CRPA Member
FPC Member

Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither. (paraphrased) - Benjamin Franklin
Old 03-06-2014, 9:50 AM

During the day sure no prob…Overnight….probably not
Old 03-06-2014, 9:50 AM

During the day sure no prob…Overnight….probably not
Old 03-08-2014, 8:29 PM

Just went up there this morning, honestly, just a bunch of good people shooting there weapons. Be careful where you post, as there may be folks shooting towards you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2014, 8:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hi fellas/gals. Simple question. Would this community consider the BLM areas to be safe enough to go alone? I know it's best to go with company, but it's not always possible. Has anyone ever felt strange, Concerned, or even Scared due to questionable characters? My concern is human related, not nature and its forces. I dont want to end up in a "The Hills Have Eyes" situation or have to discharge against anyone. That would be a mess and ruin my love for the sport. Thanks a million.
Practice your draw, before you go.

From open carry, you should be able to draw and shoot in less than 1 second.

From concealed carry (if you have a LTC), you should be able in 2 seconds.

Don't let anyone get closer than 10 feet. Back away if they try.

Watch their hands and their eyes.

If they are eyeballing your pistol or revolver, then you have trouble.

Should you go alone? Not if you are worried about it.
Old 03-08-2014, 9:01 PM

Quote:
I go alone all the time. Never had an issue I am more concerned about jumpy individuals that are expecting a "bad guy". Relax and have fun.
Old 03-08-2014, 9:57 PM

I prefer to go alone in the open desert.......nobody in a car can sneak up on me. I can see them coming from a few miles away.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

I hope this was a joke.

Quote:
Old 03-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member

You can do it, but its not smart. Like hiking alone, off roading in desolate area's, or doing anything alone with no help anywhere near.

There's plenty of bad ideas and people do it. They can gamble with their life. Its their choice.

I've been to BLM plenty of time with groups and we are approached by very shady individuals and groups. Being alone makes you a easy target.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:22 PM

You'll be fine. When you're number is up, it's up regardless of where you are and what you are doing. Odds are in your favor. Keep your head on a swivel and have fun.

NastyNate
Old 03-08-2014, 11:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks95134 View Post
Practice your draw, before you go.

From open carry, you should be able to draw and shoot in less than 1 second.

From concealed carry (if you have a LTC), you should be able in 2 seconds.

Don't let anyone get closer than 10 feet. Back away if they try.

Watch their hands and their eyes.

If they are eyeballing your pistol or revolver, then you have trouble.

Should you go alone? Not if you are worried about it.
Haaaa.....