Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 09-06-2019, 9:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Signs of A zone rut

Has anyone seen any pre rut activity like bucks hanging out with doe’s ?
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 09-06-2019, 9:25 AM

Not in my area. I’ve been seeing at least half a dozen does every time I’m out. Haven’t seen a buck with them yet.
Old 09-06-2019, 9:25 AM

I think this is the year ... might get a solid week of hard sniffing before the close ... I haven’t seen any yet tho
Old 09-06-2019, 10:10 AM

Not yet.

Bucks are still solitary or in bachelor groups but not play-fighting (pre-rut behavior) with each other yet. Saw no bucks chasing does.

Usually by the last week of the season in A-zone you will see some pre-rut behavior, and the blacktails will be less weary of people. In southernmost B-zone, because of the later season, you often luck out and get to hunt those deer in the rut.

Usually, the colder the winters are in an area, the later the deer rut (so they don't give birth in the cold months). A-zone is hot and spring starts early, so the blacktail will rut in early October. B-zone is generally colder and spring runs later, so the deer usually rut in November. Through generations, deer populations instinctively know to rut when the days get shortened by a certain length.

A-zone is definitely the worst zone to catch the rut in, but you often see some pre-rut behavior in the middle of September (especially "mock fights" between bucks).
Old 09-06-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Not yet.

Bucks are still solitary or in bachelor groups but not play-fighting (pre-rut behavior) with each other yet. Saw no bucks chasing does.

Usually by the last week of the season in A-zone you will see some pre-rut behavior, and the blacktails will be less weary of people. In southernmost B-zone, because of the later season, you often luck out and get to hunt those deer in the rut.

Usually, the colder the winters are in an area, the later the deer rut (so they don't give birth in the cold months). A-zone is hot and spring starts early, so the blacktail will rut in early October. B-zone is generally colder and spring runs later, so the deer usually rut in November. Through generations, deer populations instinctively know to rut when the days get shortened by a certain length.

A-zone is definitely the worst zone to catch the rut in, but you often see some pre-rut behavior in the middle of September (especially "mock fights" between bucks).
I've seen rutting behavior on the central coast way more often than in the Sierras. I even saw a 3-pt sniffing after a doe right through a campground on Labor Day weekend a several years ago. Can't say that's a representative sample enough to make a broad conclusion about rutting behaviors. But I've never seen that kind of thing in early October in the Sierras.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:15 AM
Calguns Addict

I could smell the gland of one the other day.
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
I've seen rutting behavior on the central coast way more often than in the Sierras. I even saw a 3-pt sniffing after a doe right through a campground on Labor Day weekend a several years ago. Can't say that's a representative sample enough to make a broad conclusion about rutting behaviors. But I've never seen that kind of thing in early October in the Sierras.
A 1x2 (3-point in California) with a doe is probably her son. Many bucks stick with mommy for the first year. But you will get a stray buck that gets curious about the ladies early or rubs on other bucks to clear his antlers. And A-zone is the earliest rut in the state.

You aren't seeing much pre-rut behavior in the Sierras in early October because it is still too early for the mulies in that region. Those deer start acting up in late October or early November.

California is probably the most diverse area in the world when it comes to deer behavior (which is why our hunting seasons are so funky to outsiders).
Old 09-06-2019, 2:55 PM

Not yet. Bucks still hanging with bucks. Buddy has a nice local spot on private property. I went with him two weeks ago. He had 6 bucks step out of the brush in front of him 30 minutes before end of shoot time. He took the biggest one. No does in the immediate area. Although, there are plenty on the property.
Old 09-06-2019, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot-it View Post
I could smell the gland of one the other day.
I'm surprised it let you get that "personal"......
Old 09-06-2019, 8:47 PM

Guy took a small buck, think a 3 pointer last weekend at the ranch.

But tons of females running around.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:14 PM
Calguns Addict

A zone Rut is going strong people...
Quote:
ProShooter's
Old 09-20-2019, 8:03 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I have been hunting for 7 days straight now. The only sign I've seen was a fork chasing yesterday morning. Other than that it has been pretty slow hunting. On this day last year I shot a buck and there were a lot of bucks running around.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2019, 9:09 AM

Have yet to see a doe with a buck.
Old 09-20-2019, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
A 1x2 (3-point in California) with a doe is probably her son. Many bucks stick with mommy for the first year. But you will get a stray buck that gets curious about the ladies early or rubs on other bucks to clear his antlers. And A-zone is the earliest rut in the state.

You aren't seeing much pre-rut behavior in the Sierras in early October because it is still too early for the mulies in that region. Those deer start acting up in late October or early November.

California is probably the most diverse area in the world when it comes to deer behavior (which is why our hunting seasons are so funky to outsiders).
Western 3-pt. As in a solid 3x3. Neck stretched forward & nosing after the doe's hind quarters. I'm sure there's a buck somewhere that will do that with his mommy but the odds are pretty slim that I'd see it in my lifetime.
Old 09-20-2019, 7:03 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Saw a small fork chasing a doe pretty good right at dark. Besides that the evening hunt was pretty uneventful. I'll probably shoot something in the morning if I have a chance. Not much time left.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk