Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 12-06-2009, 9:38 PM

Another thing to consider about Nukes is duty stations too.

On shore duty, in your rate, you will only be at the schools, or prototype spots, either as a student or as an instructor (depending on your expertise).

On sea duty, of which you will have a lot, you will only go either on subs (3 month deployments up to twice per year), or aircraft carriers (floating cities).

I was an Electronics Warfare Technician (EW), which has been converted to Cryptologic Technician, Technical (CTT), to the detriment of both rates IMO.
If I had to do it again, I'd probably go CT, but the Maintenance branch (CTM). They DO advance pretty quickly, have decent choices in shore duty and sea duty.

Another option is Fire Controlman. They deal a lot with radars and their systems, but mainly as it pertains to various weapon systems. Really good rate.
Also something to consider (particularly since this is a gun site) is to go Gunner's Mate. They also advance pretty quickly (especially if you are really good at it), kind of removed from a lot of the onboard politics, but intimately involved in the ship's self-defense. They mostly deal with the actual guns of the Navy (5"/54 or 45, Oto Molera 76mm and the new 57mm gun too by BoFors).

Good luck.

Oh, and a Mustang is an officer (Ensign, Lt j.g., LT, LCDR, CDR, etc.) that used to be an enlisted man (Petty Officer, Chief Petty Officer, etc.)
MOST of the time, the Mustang's are more down to earth and better to work for since they used to be a blue shirt (worker bee) too. In all my years, I only had one Mustang that was a dick, and that was because he forgot where he came from, although he wasn't enlisted very long, went through the "Seaman to Admiral" program. The rest of the Mustang's I worked for were awesome individuals!

NRA Life Member
Old 12-07-2009, 5:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar125 View Post
I'm not worried about it. I'll make it when I make it.
2006 Maiden Voyage on RR? 2007 Surge? I was there.
yep, 2004 to 2009, 3 cruises on the Reagan. What shop were you in, or were you in a squadron?
Old 12-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

alright awesome, i think i have all my questions, just one more quick one,
are you allowed to take the contract home before you sign it?

and why does this seem to be discouraged? thanks
Old 12-07-2009, 1:35 PM
Calguns Addict

no. I am not sure why its discouraged, other than its more of an impediment to make multiple trips to MEPS to first get the contract, then another to return and sign it.
Old 12-07-2009, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydogsmonkey View Post
whats a mustang officer? thanks for all the info, very helpful
Prior Enlisted. An officer who started out as an enlisted person and received a commision. In the eyes of many they are given more respect by enlisted men because they usually can relate to and understand the enlisted people they lead.
Old 12-07-2009, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit315 View Post
yep, 2004 to 2009, 3 cruises on the Reagan. What shop were you in, or were you in a squadron?
IM-3 Shop 9. 02-54-0 I worked on the COM/NAV stuff.
Your hangar queen had problems loading ATLAS with the R-2332 and one of the guys wanted to induct 3 of them. I told him to sit in the AC for about 45 minutes while I verified them.
Old 12-07-2009, 8:11 PM
Veteran Member

Do your reserach before you go in. Talk with people already in and that have been in and out and reserach jobs. Pick the right job, something your interested in and think you'll be good at. Many recruiters are full of BS...they have a goal to hit, just like a used car salesman. (No offense to any recruiters, if I ever see mine I owe him a punch in the face, he was full oh s#!t.) Also think about what kind of a vessel you want to serve on and pick a job that will help you land a billet on that type of vessel. Lastly after you take the ASVAB and find out if you qualify for the job you want, stick to your guns. If they don't have any openings, wait until they do.

My recruiter lied to me, caused a lot of problems, I ended up in a very different job, and not very happy about it. Had I had the advice I just gave you, things might have been a lot better. I hated being a snipe. Don't lie either.
"Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."
Old 12-07-2009, 8:58 PM
Veteran Member

Getting out of the navy in 49 days after 6 years of active duty service. 10 Up front and honest rules/things the recruiters wont tell you.
1. You are a professional janitor BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE. Most importantly "once over dust and twice over rust."
2. You will be doing everyones job on the ship that includes washing dishes.
3. Most of your Qual's wont translate to anything in the real world (only my EMT carried over, Hospital corps specialy training FTL)
4. Stupid people will be incharge of you for a while.
5. You are subject to deployments even on shore duty.
6. The army is hurting on people so you may deploy with them (my first one was with the army )
7. Advancement sucks ***, 5% promotion navy wide on my last cycle.
8. If you can't handle your sea daddy, you will hate life for the first year you are in the navy.
9. THEY DONT WANT YOU TO DRINK OR HAVE A GOOD TIME ANY MORE (right spirit adds, SARP, DAPA, MA1 some one will get you)
10. If you f**k up the mail buoy watch you might as well ask your detailer to send you to another command.
Old 12-08-2009, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro3k2 View Post
Getting out of the navy in 49 days after 6 years of active duty service. 10 Up front and honest rules/things the recruiters wont tell you.
1. You are a professional janitor BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE. Most importantly "once over dust and twice over rust."
3. Most of your Qual's wont translate to anything in the real world (only my EMT carried over, Hospital corps specialy training FTL)
6. The army is hurting on people so you may deploy with them (my first one was with the army )
8. If you can't handle your sea daddy, you will hate life for the first year you are in the navy.
9. THEY DONT WANT YOU TO DRINK OR HAVE A GOOD TIME ANY MORE (right spirit adds, SARP, DAPA, MA1 some one will get you)
10. If you f**k up the mail buoy watch you might as well ask your detailer to send you to another command.
Sounds like somebody is bitter...
Old 12-08-2009, 4:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
IM-3 Shop 9. 02-54-0 I worked on the COM/NAV stuff.
Your hangar queen had problems loading ATLAS with the R-2332 and one of the guys wanted to induct 3 of them. I told him to sit in the AC for about 45 minutes while I verified them.
We dont run R-2332. Maybe it was 139's Prowler?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Sin View Post
Prior Enlisted. An officer who started out as an enlisted person and received a commision. In the eyes of many they are given more respect by enlisted men because they usually can relate to and understand the enlisted people they lead.
Almost hit the mark. Couple more things.

In the Navy, a Mustang is an Officer who has promoted up from the ranks of Navy enlisted personnel through an in-service procurement program, with no interruption of his/her active duty status. It is also understood that the Mustang Officer was a career Sailor, and normally wears one or more Good Conduct Medals.

Thus, the Navy Mustang is either a Navy Limited Duty Officers (LDO), a Chief Warrant Officers (CWO), or commissioned through the Direct Fleet Accession, Seaman to Admiral (S2A) program, or through the Enlisted Commissioning Program. In the past, there were other programs leading to a commission, such as NESEP, or the Naval Flight Officer program, but these have since gone away.

LDO's and CWO's are a very unique part of the Naval service. The LDO or CWO serves in a role like no other commissioned officer can. LDOs and CWOs are enlisted people who are commissioned as Officers, and have been called to serve from their senior enlisted ranks as technical managers. An LDO or CWO has the necessary experience and technical background to perform tasks that call for the "officer" rank and protocol to carry out, but require the enlisted heart and experience to get accomplished. Currently, the US Navy and Marine Corps are the only branches of the armed forces to have such commissioning programs in place.

The term "Mustang" is a relatively modern term, originating either just prior to, or during World War II. It is believed to be a Sea Service term, although other service officers are beginging to be described as Mustangs.

It literally refers to the mustang horse, which is a wild animal and therefore not a thoroughbred. A mustang, after being captured, can be tamed and saddle broken but it always has a bit of wild streak, and can periodically revert to its old ways unexpectedly and therefore the owner needs to keep an eye on it at all times.

By the same token, however, since a mustang was formerly a wild and free animal, it may very well be smarter, more capable and have a better survival instinct than thoroughbreds. The mustang can take care of itself when things get tough, thriving on rough treatment, while the thoroughbred, having been pampered its whole life, cannot.

You can easily see the parallel between horses and Naval Officers. The term "Mustang" is used in a complimentary sense most of the time.

Another accounting for the term "Mustang" is derived from the US Naval Academy where the term "Mustang" was initially used by USNA grads as an insult to the "lower class" of prior enlisted officers. They considered themselves as thoroughbreds and, meaning to insult, called our honored predecessors, "Mustangs" because we were less than pure. Like "Yankee" the slur stuck and soon became a badge of honor.

An LDO or CWO is an officer by appearance and in the minds of the "top brass," and an enlisted technician at heart. The creed of the LDO/CWO, upon receiving their commission is: "I did it the hard way... I earned it."
Old 12-08-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
We dont run R-2332. Maybe it was 139's Prowler?
Naw...I came down with 139. Either way, it was y'alls GPS receivers cuz the guy was wearing VAW113 jersey.
Old 12-08-2009, 1:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Naw...I came down with 139. Either way, it was y'alls GPS receivers cuz the guy was wearing VAW113 jersey.
You know what, your right. I only ever referred to it as GPS or ARN151, never bothered to remember the GPS reciever number. Our pubs dont call it the atlas either, they call it the almanac, so I was scratching my head there for a second.
Old 12-08-2009, 2:20 PM

Quote:
You know what, your right. I only ever referred to it as GPS or ARN151, never bothered to remember the GPS reciever number. Our pubs dont call it the atlas either, they call it the almanac, so I was scratching my head there for a second.
Geek Fight!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 4:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSeasPoker View Post
Geek Fight!!!
Hey! I resemble that remark.
Old 12-08-2009, 6:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro3k2 View Post

During the cold war days the saying was "Run it may, shine it must, you can't kill a Commie with a bilge full of rust".

As far as Nuke shore duty goes, you can always get general shore duty and put in for specialized duty as a recruiter, career counselor, etc.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 12-08-2009, 6:55 PM

Quote:
He does! (just joshing ya Jamie!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
During the cold war days the saying was "Run it may, shine it must, you can't kill a Commie with a bilge full of rust".

As far as Nuke shore duty goes, you can always get general shore duty and put in for specialized duty as a recruiter, career counselor, etc.
Yes, it's possible to get those other duties, but I've seen that it was very difficult. The Navy spent a HUGE gob of money on training a Nuke tech, and they want to get as much out of them as they can, IN their rate. Which basically puts them going back to prototype school, or back to the schoolhouse (still in Orlando? Probably not, huh?) to teach new nuke techies.

Take it for what you will, but Nuke school has (or at least had) the highest attrition rate in the Navy, if you get academically dropped, you stay in your rate (Machinist Mate, Electronics Tech, etc.) but DON'T have the nuke benefits of rate (reenlistment bonuses, etc.), and you still have the service commitment to meet.

All in all, I think there are better rates out there to consider, ones that have a better sea/shore duty rotation ratio, great tech schools and potentially great commands to be on.

For the record, I was on AOE, CVN, CGN, CG, LPH and FFG. 13 years at sea commands, and had a blast at most of it, and I was 'just' a twidgit!

Cheers!

ETA: For the record, the up and coming specialty is with UAS/UAV's. Try to get into that if you can!

NRA Life Member
Old 12-08-2009, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Haha, the truth, she stings. I always embraced the BC wearing stigma. Am pretty sure I was wearing AT1 before you joined the canoe club.
Old 12-09-2009, 5:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Probably....haha.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:01 PM

i hope im not thread jacking but i was just wondering how long it would take to get a BS while enlisted in the Navy and is there only certain degrees u can get?
Old 12-20-2009, 1:34 AM
Veteran Member

You can get your degree in any service. It's really hard though.

In my early days, I met a Sergeant Major who had earned a bachelor's degree. It wasn't in anything like engineering or chemistry, though.
Old 12-20-2009, 6:08 AM

Quote:
thanks jamie, im starting to make a list to take that day so that i got all the details spelled out. anyone else got any tips? thanks

Ernest
Yeah....I got a tip. YOUR JOINING THE WRONG SERVICE! I know you've already made your decision on the Navy, but every vet I have talked to, including my dad(who did 25 years in the Navy) has said they would have rather gone into the Coast Guard. We do some REALLY cool stuff. It feels pretty good when your main mission is to save people.

Memorize your 11 general orders and even know where the commas are(attention to detail....). If your early, your on time. If your on time, your late. And if your late, your f***ed. Always come to muster in a squared away uniform of the day. Polish your boots and always maintain vigilance on watch. (If you even stand them in the nuke field...I dont know). Try to enjoy bootcamp. It will be an eye-opening experience.

Best of luck to you. There's no stronger friend and loyalty then that of a Shipmate.

Last edited by CWUSCG; 12-20-2009 at 6:11 AM..
Old 12-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim613 View Post
i hope im not thread jacking but i was just wondering how long it would take to get a BS while enlisted in the Navy and is there only certain degrees u can get?
Any degree offered by the school you are going to. No limits. Obviously it would be easier on shore duty than on sea duty, but it is definately do-able, regardless. If you want to put the time into it, its their for you. I know E5's and E6's with degrees in many different areas.
Old 12-20-2009, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Any degree offered by the school you are going to. No limits. Obviously it would be easier on shore duty than on sea duty, but it is definately do-able, regardless. If you want to put the time into it, its their for you. I know E5's and E6's with degrees in many different areas.
well if i get my degree while in service how hard is it to become an officer
Old 12-20-2009, 5:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim613 View Post
well if i get my degree while in service how hard is it to become an officer
Well, there is STA-21, which is Seaman to Admiral, but it is geared more towards people still working on their degree. In your case, I would apply directly to OCS. Prior time enlisted would probably put you towards the top of the pack.

Also, if you are an E6, you can put in an LDO package.
Old 01-09-2010, 2:22 AM
Veteran Member

alright well i just got sworn in a few days ago, the paperwork finally got through so after another long day at MEPS, im finally a depper. anyway as for details, i was a bit disappointed, i guess theres some deal with not having enough jobs even in the nuclear field so i can't get in until october the 5th. anyone know about how it really is? is the downsizing really that bad? even nuclear? i was hoping for springtime but i guess october will do too, im not too picky. I made out with a 21k enlistment bonus and a guarantee into the nuclear program as it states in my paperwork as well as the 2 year extension due to the school. can anyone confirm or deny the claims the classifier told me about the back up on jobs and stuff?

all in all, thanks everyone for your help, it really helped me get through making sure i got the right stuff and asked the right questions and motivated me to get this done.
Old 01-09-2010, 5:21 AM
Calguns Addict

its not so much downsizing, but trying to balance numbers in the fleet. they have to keep the schools manned at a certain amount of students at any given point in the year, and part of the way they do that is to figure when they will have an opening in the school, then base your boot camp dates roughly 2 months prior to that. that leaves a little flex for different situations that might come up: ASMO, weather shutting down training, etc. That way there are not surges of students at a given time when they cant handle them. If that happened, they would sit in the barracks doing nothing and getting paid, not really what the Navy is after.

So, I guess what I am saying is, its a matter of keeping the training pipeline full, but not too full, at any given time.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

i see, thanks kermit especially for all your help, i know you've been helping me from the beginning, i truly appreciate it
Old 01-09-2010, 1:09 PM
Calguns Addict

no problem, glad to help.
Old 01-09-2010, 4:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Did you get a MOS (rating) in your contract?
Old 01-09-2010, 4:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
Did you get a MOS (rating) in your contract?
no, it doesn't state rating unless im missing it somewhere. where should it be put? i only received the mention of the nuclear field (NF 6YO) program in my enlistment guarantee. is something wrong? should it have been put in there?

Ernest
Old 01-09-2010, 5:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
no, it doesn't state rating unless im missing it somewhere. where should it be put? i only received the mention of the nuclear field (NF 6YO) program in my enlistment guarantee. is something wrong? should it have been put in there?

Ernest
Well, I know if I was planning on signing myself over to something for 4 or more years, Id at least want to know what it is was I was gonna do. Going in without a MOS in your contract is basically saying youll take whatever job they want to give you. Sure they "mentioned" nuke, but did they fail to mention cook?
Old 01-09-2010, 5:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
Well, I know if I was planning on signing myself over to something for 4 or more years, Id at least want to know what it is was I was gonna do. Going in without a MOS in your contract is basically saying youll take whatever job they want to give you. Sure they "mentioned" nuke, but did they fail to mention cook?
no, but i thought a guarantee into the nuclear program would guarantee a job in the field since you would be going through 2 years of schooling. also, i think the problem is that you need to choose between an EM, ET and MM in that field. do you know specifically if i should have that as someone interested in going into the nuke field in the navy?
Old 01-09-2010, 5:43 PM
Calguns Addict

So you have a FIELD guarantee in your contract?
Thats better than no guarentee at all.
Congrats and good luck.
Old 01-09-2010, 5:44 PM
Calguns Addict

AECF (Advanced Electronics Computer Field), and the nuclear pipeline dont come with rating guarantees if I remember correctly, only that you will be nuclear trained. Once you are trained and in the fleet, you will be doing nuke stuff, alongside all the other nuke rates. You will all mix anyway.

Fjold knows more about the nuke field than I do though, so maybe he will see this and chime in.

I am pretty sure that the Navy wont write a contract that doesnt include a rate or apprenticeship training though, with the above exceptions.
Old 01-09-2010, 5:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
no, but i thought a guarantee into the nuclear program would guarantee a job in the field since you would be going through 2 years of schooling. also, i think the problem is that you need to choose between an EM, ET and MM in that field. do you know specifically if i should have that as someone interested in going into the nuke field in the navy?
see my last post above this one. EM, ET, MM, and I think there is one other, but I dont remember right now, are all nuclear option rates. I would guess you will get through power school then pick a rate, or it might get picked for you before you start. Not sure, I havent worked in a recruiting office in 8 years.
Old 01-09-2010, 7:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
AECF (Advanced Electronics Computer Field), and the nuclear pipeline dont come with rating guarantees if I remember correctly, only that you will be nuclear trained. Once you are trained and in the fleet, you will be doing nuke stuff, alongside all the other nuke rates. You will all mix anyway.

Fjold knows more about the nuke field than I do though, so maybe he will see this and chime in.

I am pretty sure that the Navy wont write a contract that doesnt include a rate or apprenticeship training though, with the above exceptions.
hopefully you're right, or else i might have to end up taking a trip to MEPS again.

i asked fjold to chime in to clarify. hopefully he'll chime in, thanks again kermit!
Old 01-09-2010, 7:37 PM

Quote:
hopefully you're right, or else i might have to end up taking a trip to MEPS again.

i asked fjold to chime in to clarify. hopefully he'll chime in, thanks again kermit!
That's "Petty Officer Kermit" to you, boot!

NRA Life Member
Old 01-09-2010, 7:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

When I went in I was guaranteed my rate (MM Nuke) when I signed up, before going to Meps. Please remember though that I joined in 1977 so things may have changed.

There was a career counselor interview while you are in boot where they fill the non-designates to the needs of the Navy. If you like electronics go ET, if you are mechanically inclined ask for MM, if you are neither then go EM.

The three rates available now in the Nuke field are Machinist mate, (Mechanical Plant operator) Electrician's mate (Electrical Plant operator) and Electronics technician (Reactor Operator). The last rate that was dropped was IC (Interior communications), previously there were Nuke Hull Techs (Weldors), Engineman (Diesel Engine specialists) and Boiler techs (also Mechanical plant operators).

On submarines, once you are qualified to your highest in-rate level (Engineroom Supervisor for me as a MM) you can start training cross-rate to qualify as Engineering Watch Supervisor (EWS) which is the highest qualification an enlisted nuke can qualify on Submarines. This is a required billet for E7s but if your Chief Engineer wants to he can start your training as an E6 or even a hot rod E5. But when I went through it I was the first E6 that my captain had ever qualified as an EWS. You have to learn the reactor operator and electrical operator jobs along with the Engineering Officer of the Watch's (EOOW) job as you will have to relieve him as EOOW for head breaks and when he tours the engineering spaces on his watch.

After a little over a year training for the Engineering Watch Supervisor qualification I sat my qualification board with my Chief Engineer, a lieutenent qualified as EOOW, the Senior Enlisted Nuke qualified EWS (E8 MM) and my Captain. (toughest board I ever had, 4 hours of; what if, define this, what are the restrictions in case of this, etc).

On my first watch as Engineering Watch Supervisor, my Chief Engineer came back into the engineroom and told me to relieve the EOOW so that he could talk to him. I went into Manuevering (where the EOOW, RO and EO sit controlling the reactor and electrical plant) and told the EOOW I was there to relieve him. He turned the watch over to me and walked out into the engineering spaces with the Chief Engineer. Then the bastards, tripped the breakers for the control rods (Scram breakers) and emergency shutdown the reactor! The Chief Engineer picked up the 2MC (Engineering spaces announcing system) microphone and said "make the recovery, Petty Officer Oldread". Then he and the EOOW stood in the doorway of Manuevering laughing at me as I directed the RO and EO in a fast Scram Recovery.

Once you qualify as EWS you are also qualified as Engineering Duty Petty Officer which is the supervisor of the Reactor/Engineering spaces when it is shutdown in port.

I took the badge with me off my last boat.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

Last edited by Fjold; 01-09-2010 at 8:26 PM..
Old 01-09-2010, 8:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoTA View Post
That's "Petty Officer Kermit" to you, boot!

woops, thank you for your help petty officer kermit!