Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-25-2011, 7:16 PM

Default San Diego Sherrifs Dept.

I just bit the bullet and applied for the academy. The next step is the written test on March 16th. I downloaded the study guide, but I wanted to know if there is anything else I can do to prepare for the hiring process?

Thanks!

Also any Riverside County PD guys wanna take me on a ride along? I would love to see the police from the POV other than the stopped view lol.
Old 02-25-2011, 8:56 PM

congrats! by applying to the academy do you mean you've gone in as a self sponsor? are you referring to the Pellet-B written? if so its fairly straight forward and not very difficult, if you're talking about the written exam for SDSO then thats a different story, either way goodluck! you can always contact the SO or local PD and request for a ride a long , they'll usually set you up with an officer, but its always easier when you know someone and tagalong.
Old 02-25-2011, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfed View Post
congrats! by applying to the academy do you mean you've gone in as a self sponsor? are you referring to the Pellet-B written? if so its fairly straight forward and not very difficult, if you're talking about the written exam for SDSO then thats a different story, either way goodluck! you can always contact the SO or local PD and request for a ride a long , they'll usually set you up with an officer, but its always easier when you know someone and tagalong.
If he applied through the county website application hes invited to the pre-screen orientation. Where he gets his T-Scores.

SDSD will NOT accept applications for ride along's for people who are not going through BI/Academy.

SDPD will allow it if you live in their beat.

CVPD will NOT allow any due to budget cuts.

Only ones I know that are accepting is SDPD, Oceanside PD, and possibly Escondido PD.

I've tried SDSD even though I know the Deputy I requested the ride with, but the LT struck it down due to the department as a whole will NOT allow any unless BI/Academy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel4488 View Post
I just bit the bullet and applied for the academy. The next step is the written test on March 16th. I downloaded the study guide, but I wanted to know if there is anything else I can do to prepare for the hiring process?

Thanks!

Also any Riverside County PD guys wanna take me on a ride along? I would love to see the police from the POV other than the stopped view lol.
You should of got the login info from the email to gain access to the PHS, and other forms.

I would start reading/filling out the PHS as it is time consuming and you need to have your ducks in a row. So you're able to have enough time to get paperwork if needed.

Also make sure you can open MS Word files as that's what they use.

Best of luck with SDSD, As that's what I'm going for.
Old 02-25-2011, 9:52 PM

How shortly after applying online did you receive an email notifying you of the written date? I applied a couple days ago and have not heard anything back.
Old 02-25-2011, 9:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkHaze View Post
+1 for IronCross's advice.

axel4488 If you shoot me a PM with your email, i can send you important study material i used to pass the exam. He'll only get access to PHS once he's passed the test and is invited to the background orientation. This particular agency does the hiring process in almost month intervals, when you go take the exam make sure you come in dressed appropriately in business casual or you can go in a suit. And do not forget your verification print out, otherwise the staff will boot you out.

???
Here's a copy of the PHS
http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/2-251.pdf
Old 02-25-2011, 10:11 PM

thanks for all the help guys. As for notification, I applied 2am Last Saturday and received my letter to take the test Wednesday.

funny thing is I live in Riverside so a ride along with SDPD and all down there is out of the question anyway lol. I will call Riverside PD and see if they will let me tag along.

I am currently going in as a self sponsor, but both my aunt and uncle are in the force and possibly could ask them to sponsor me. Would it help in anyway if I did?

So far, the only forms I can complete are the ones for the pre-screening and all that is done and done.

you have a PM Skunk thanks alot!

Also mlatino, thanks for the link i saved it along with the Study Guide I have.

Also, do they allow short people to be cops? Im only 5'7' lmao
Old 02-26-2011, 2:04 AM

So, is SDSO opening more billets or do they accept applications regardless of whether they' re currently accepting new hires?

I just completed the online application, so now I get to wait and see what happens next.

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
Old 02-26-2011, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Boy
So, is SDSO opening more billets or do they accept applications regardless of whether they' re currently accepting new hires?
My uncle is an SD Sheriff background investigator. He told me they always have open positions and always accept applications, hiring of new deputies depends on who retires or who quits. The county is pretty broke at the moment, so it'll be VERY tough to get in. My uncle told me out of approximately 12000 applicants in 2010, SD Sheriffs hired 13 patrol deputies, and one courts/detentions deputy. I hope you guys have all your ducks in a row, and good luck!
Old 02-26-2011, 7:18 AM

Quote:
I am currently going in as a self sponsor, but both my aunt and uncle are in the force and possibly could ask them to sponsor me. Would it help in anyway if I did?
I am assuming that you are talking about the regional academy at Miramar. To be "sponsored" means that 1) the agency pays for all your fees and equipment, 2) the agency will be paying you a salary while you are t the academy and 3) guarantees that you will be hired if you successfully complete the academy. Therefore, anyone can "sponsor" you for 1 and 2, but only an agency for number 3.
Old 02-26-2011, 7:20 AM

Quote:
I am currently going in as a self sponsor, but both my aunt and uncle are in the force and possibly could ask them to sponsor me.

Also, do they allow short people to be cops? Im only 5'7' lmao
Self sponsor? Are you going to an academy like Rio Hondo? I've never heard of self sponsoring at a place like SDSD or LASD.

As for the short cops.....it seems that's all they hire anymore.

I applied to SDSD less than a year ago and was told by some guys on the job that they "cherry pick" applicants. In other words....If you are a war vet, minority with a Captain as an uncle....you're in. I guess they can afford to do it right now as jshoebot said...13 deputies in 2010. Either way, take the test and process. All it can do is make you better for the next test you take even if you don't get hired on with them. Go to a book store and get a study guide for the California POST exam. It will help alot. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2011, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreen46 View Post
Self sponsor? Are you going to an academy like Rio Hondo? I've never heard of self sponsoring at a place like SDSD or LASD.
Almost a quarter of the last class at Miramar was self-sponsored.
Old 02-26-2011, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallship View Post
Almost a quarter of the last class at Miramar was self-sponsored.
So it is like Rio Hondo? Never knew.....

I guess they call it "un-sponsored". From the website: "You may enter the Academy un-sponsored by an agency (you finance yourself through the Academy)."

If I remember correctly, when you put yourself through an academy, your POST certification can expire if you don't get picked up by an agency. I could be wrong (again), but something to consider in this economy.

Last edited by meangreen46; 02-26-2011 at 7:42 AM..
Old 02-26-2011, 7:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Yes, POST does expire three years, but individual can always take those short couple weeks recap class to renew their POST. However, times are hard right now and all of us need to be a smart consumer and investor. Self-sponsor academy can be expensive because of uniforms, books, ammo, gas, and equipments one has to buy from his or her pocket.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlatino View Post
OK...... That PHS is wayyyy different than the SDSD one. Are some of the questions in the same format? Yes they are.. I would just wait till you know you past the test or not. That way you don't stress yourself out and waste your time.

Heres the old outdated one:

http://www.joinsdsheriff.net/PHS.pdf
Old 02-26-2011, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
Yes, POST does expire three years, but individual can always take those short couple weeks recap class to renew their POST. However, times are hard right now and all of us need to be a smart consumer and investor. Self-sponsor academy can be expensive because of uniforms, books, ammo, gas, and equipments one has to buy from his or her pocket.
THIS!!!!

RSD wants 1000 bucks just to take the damn class.
Old 02-26-2011, 5:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Good luck with San Diego, I'd love to work for that department one day!
Old 02-26-2011, 7:46 PM

I hate to do this, but.... maybe learn how to spell Sheriff? You'll be surprised how little things like that can have a negative impression on someone that may matter someday.
Old 02-26-2011, 8:33 PM

Sorry that my iPhone doesn't catch all my words wrong here Mr. Grammar Nazi. I do have a problem with not checking every single word I type. It is called being human. Try it sometime
Old 02-26-2011, 8:38 PM

OK, you asked for help with the process. Take some pride and learn how to spell, at least the name of the department you want to work for. There was a guy in the SDSD Academy I went to that didn't know how to spell it either. He never made it through. Good luck to you, with that attitude, you'll need it.
Old 02-26-2011, 8:40 PM

I asked for help yes, But nit picking every single word is just retarded I'm sorry. I do know how to spell, and when the really mean tough words come out, its called spell check. Now I will gladly take any help I can, but from you, please exit out of my thread and never come back too it. Your help is not needed at this time thank you.
Old 02-26-2011, 8:40 PM
Veteran Member

Axle looks like you've been arrested...

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 02-26-2011 at 8:44 PM..
Old 02-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Banned

I just got my application in too.

Axel, you need to settle down and not take it personally when someone gives you friendly advice. Reacting like you are shows that you likely don't have the maturity to become an LEO.

What you also need to realize is that you don't "own" this thread, or this forum and you therefore don't get to kick people out of your threads. Kes does and he makes the rules here.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:41 AM

I am not mad, agitated, or raging. I am just showing my dislike in a person that nit picks everything. I didn't take it personally at all either. Love how people consider standing up for yourself is an attitude.
Old 02-27-2011, 7:49 PM

Nit-pick???? Really??? Some simple advice to spell Sheriff correctly? Was it really that big of a deal for me to try and help you? And you dislike people that nit-pick? You're going to love your background investigator, academy training officers, field training officers, patrol sergeants, watch commanders, etc. They are all going to nit-pick you. I'd like to see what happens when you "dislike" them. What do you think police work is? It's attention to detail, and if you don't have it, you won't last. Good luck with your beloved spell check when you are "righting" reports. Spell check won't save you. Oh, and by the way, when you stand up for yourself when you are wrong, and can't take some minor constructive criticism, it is a bad attitude.
Old 02-27-2011, 8:04 PM

After reading this thread, good luck, your gonna need it.
Old 02-27-2011, 8:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smguser View Post
Nit-pick???? Really??? Some simple advice to spell Sheriff correctly? Was it really that big of a deal for me to try and help you? And you dislike people that nit-pick? You're going to love your background investigator, academy training officers, field training officers, patrol sergeants, watch commanders, etc. They are all going to nit-pick you. I'd like to see what happens when you "dislike" them. What do you think police work is? It's attention to detail, and if you don't have it, you won't last. Good luck with your beloved spell check when you are "righting" reports. Spell check won't save you. Oh, and by the way, when you stand up for yourself when you are wrong, and can't take some minor constructive criticism, it is a bad attitude.
+1 To what SMG said. Axle your going to have to grow some thick skin...I understand mistakes happen, thats fine. But when you write a arrest report and mis-spell words, it effects your credibility... The staff at the academy is going to try to break you down and force you to quit the first month... They have a saying in Japanese " The nail that sticks out, always get hammered". So don't be that nail!.

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 02-27-2011 at 8:09 PM..
Old 02-27-2011, 9:12 PM

I have a thick skin, As I have said many times the only ones that seem to have a stick up there bum is smguser lol. Grammar, punctuation, and spelling are all 3rd grade material. It isn't hard to understand, or use it.

I do appreciate all the help and even the current flaming, but it seems I cant get across to some people that there help is not needed in this thread so.....keep it coming, you are just making me laugh lol. As for the yelling and making me feel like crap days at the academy, I know. It is there job to break you down and build you right back up just like in basic training for the military. I do know what my limits are and how to respond to the yelling 'n such thanks.

Also, ITS AXEL not AXLE. Btw you it is because you came off an asshat that I retaliated as such. Now you will go on and say, "Well blah blah blah the drill sergeants will do the same to you." and yes they will. But since they are authoritative figures, I will listen and always end the answer in SIR. Keep it in mind that though I may not know everything, doesn't make me some punk that doesn't know anything.

edit: I really hate this censor crap. For God sakes its a forum for everyone, at least have the option to turn the filter off!

Last edited by axel4488; 02-27-2011 at 9:15 PM..
Old 02-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have a thick skin, As I have said many times the only ones that seem to have a stick up there bum is smguser lol. Grammar, punctuation, and spelling are all 3rd grade material. It isn't hard to understand, or use it.

I do appreciate all the help and even the current flaming, but it seems I cant get across to some people that there help is not needed in this thread so.....keep it coming, you are just making me laugh lol. As for the yelling and making me feel like crap days at the academy, I know. It is there job to break you down and build you right back up just like in basic training for the military. I do know what my limits are and how to respond to the yelling 'n such thanks.

Also, ITS AXEL not AXLE. Btw you it is because you came off an asshat that I retaliated as such. Now you will go on and say, "Well blah blah blah the drill sergeants will do the same to you." and yes they will. But since they are authoritative figures, I will listen and always end the answer in SIR. Keep it in mind that though I may not know everything, doesn't make me some punk that doesn't know anything.

edit: I really hate this censor crap. For God sakes its a forum for everyone, at least have the option to turn the filter off!
*Axel*

Now, that i've spelled your name correctly. I'll let you in on a little piece of advice. All your comments and the way you carry yourself in the LEO section of the threads are noticed. All your thoughts and writing, will be viewed by a background investigator eventually in the hiring process.. Now SMGuser, i'm not sure who he is exactly, if you noticed he said he went through the academy. I would tone it down before you really start to offend the wrong people... What if you found out he was a Sgt for SDSD or SDPD and your arguing with somebody on the agency you want a prospective career with?

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 02-28-2011 at 12:21 PM..
Old 02-28-2011, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshoebot View Post
My uncle is an SD Sheriff background investigator. He told me they always have open positions and always accept applications, hiring of new deputies depends on who retires or who quits. The county is pretty broke at the moment, so it'll be VERY tough to get in. My uncle told me out of approximately 12000 applicants in 2010, SD Sheriffs hired 13 patrol deputies, and one courts/detentions deputy. I hope you guys have all your ducks in a row, and good luck!
That's soul crushing right there.
I got my thank you for coming letter from a local SD dept, basically said there are 100's of applicants and not all can be selected, try again in 2 years.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

I just applied and am also taking the test on March 16th, too.