Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 01-23-2014, 3:39 PM

Default ccw passenger

In a vehicle that has been stopped by a LEO, I understand a holder of a California CCW PERMIT MUST declare he/she holds a CCW permit whether or not in possession of a firearm while riding as passenger in a vehicle. My question is has this been encountered yet by any ccw's and if so how has this affected social relationships specifically with spouses or immediate family members? I fear that once obtaining this ccw that such an incident while riding as passenger with a spouse driving who wants nothing to do with firearms will prompt a divorce or ?
Old 01-23-2014, 3:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

How Do New CCW Holders Deal with Their Spouses?

A lie about a wrongdoing becomes your future. The truth about a wrongdoing becomes your past. - Unknown
Old 01-23-2014, 3:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogo2nd View Post
In a vehicle that has been stopped by a LEO, I understand a holder of a California CCW PERMIT MUST declare he/she holds a CCW permit whether or not in possession of a firearm while riding as passenger in a vehicle. My question is has this been encountered yet by any ccw's and if so how has this affected social relationships specifically with spouses or immediate family members? I fear that once obtaining this ccw that such an incident while riding as passenger with a spouse driving who wants nothing to do with firearms will prompt a divorce or ?
Please cite some sort of PC for this. I really don't think it's a law. I do believe that some (NOT ALL) issuing agencies may require this but, many do not.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 01-23-2014, 3:49 PM

Quote:
I understand a holder of a California CCW PERMIT MUST declare he/she holds a CCW permit whether or not in possession of a firearm while riding as passenger in a vehicle.
You are wrong. Start another thread.

Jeez cannoneer can't you smell a troll by now?

My god, Bigger Hammer, dont you have jaywalkers to ticket?

bunny farts to flamethrowers
Old 01-23-2014, 3:54 PM

What?
Old 01-23-2014, 4:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
In a vehicle that has been stopped by a LEO, I understand a holder of a California CCW PERMIT MUST declare he/she holds a CCW permit whether or not in possession of a firearm while riding as passenger in a vehicle.
You understand incorrectly. That's not what the Sacramento Sheriff restriction on the permit says.
Quote:
If contacted by law enforcement and carrying a concealed weapon you must advise the officer of the presence of a firearm either on your person or otherwise present
1. The contact must be with you. As a passenger, you may have absolutely zero contact with the LEO. Do not lean across the car and interrupt the officer with, "Officer, I have a loaded gun." Shut up and let the driver handle the contact.

If the contact then shifts to you (because you're sweating, fidgeting and your panties are bunched up and moist from fearing the spouse), then you have to decide. I would recommend you then share the info with the officer. But do so by simply handing the officer your CCW. Let the LEO decide how to proceed.

2. You must be carrying a concealed weapon, or have the concealed weapon in the car.

Quote:
My question is has this been encountered yet by any ccw's and if so how has this affected social relationships specifically with spouses or immediate family members? I fear that once obtaining this ccw that such an incident while riding as passenger with a spouse driving who wants nothing to do with firearms will prompt a divorce or ?
I fear you fear too much. I told my wife, and she got over it.

If you get a CCW and don't tell the spouse, it will be painful when she finds out (and she WILL find out).

If you then carry and don't tell her you're armed, more pain will follow.

If you don't tell her of the restriction and the potential need to declare the license and the gun, you have just taken up permanent residence on #1 Main Street in Painsville, USA.

A way to avoid all of this consternation is to not get the CCW. Conflict resolved.

JR

Last edited by Dvrjon; 01-23-2014 at 4:06 PM..
Old 01-23-2014, 4:09 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I fear that once obtaining this ccw that such an incident while riding as passenger with a spouse driving who wants nothing to do with firearms will prompt a divorce or ?
You are getting a permit and your spouse will divorce you if she gets pulled over? Save some time and just get divorced now.

I'm worried about getting puled over with family who has no idea, but the above is just.......well, we all make choices.
Old 01-23-2014, 5:02 PM

Thank you for clarification dvjron! I am relieved.
Old 01-23-2014, 7:53 PM
Veteran Member

Default ccw passenger

Someone should make a sticky that answers all of these recurring questions. Then the link can be posted as a reply and the thread can be locked.
Old 01-23-2014, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
Someone should make a sticky that answers all of these recurring questions. Then the link can be posted as a reply and the thread can be locked.
It is in the wiki, but the laws are too convoluted to make it useful.

My god, Bigger Hammer, dont you have jaywalkers to ticket?

bunny farts to flamethrowers