Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 08-21-2013, 8:59 AM

Really like the new layout. Much easier to look for something in the marketplace. Thanks

Last edited by fastpowerstroker; 08-21-2013 at 8:12 PM..
Old 08-21-2013, 9:29 AM
Head Janitor

As much as I like the idea of splitting the Marketplace I'm not sure I'm happy with the Long Gun/Handgun split.
There are several threads that have both a handgun and a long gun, what happens to them and do we make/allow multiple threads per user one in each forum?

I need to think about this a bit, as difficult as it is I think a North/South split might be better in the long run.

I can see it working one of two ways:
A stated line, if you're above Fresno it's Nor cal, below Fresno it's So Cal.
Or a seller based option, if you consider where you live So Cal post it in that forum, same for Nor Cal Calgunners.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:01 PM

I'd like a seller based option on deciding locality, I know I travel quite a bit due to work and have sold on trips.

The majority should be able to work out on the Fresno/Lemoore split line, they are called the Central Valley region; and have people agree on not reporting threads that may seem geographically "misplaced"

For anyone complaining about missing out on deals now, so long as the advanced search feature allows for searching in multiple subforums I don't see why that would be an issue.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

love the changes! great job!
Old 08-21-2013, 9:15 PM

Default Locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddogg View Post
love the changes! great job!
YES!!!
Now if we can only specify
NOR-CAL
CENTRAL-CAL
SO-CAL
Old 08-22-2013, 1:08 PM

Nor-Cal = Santa Rosa to Oregon border
Central = Santa Rosa to Fresno
So-Cal = Fresno to Mexico border
Old 08-22-2013, 3:06 PM

I like the idea of a C&R Exchange in the Marketplace, but I question the long-term viability. I'm also far from sold on separating handguns and long guns in the Marketplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotcaller6 View Post
Not bad. I've attached 2 maps I sketched up that divide California into 3 and 4 sections respectively. All divisions were made on county lines. Geographical divisions would be a pain, though there is a valid argument for an Eastern Sierra portion.

3-Split = North, Central, South
4-Split = North, Greater Bay, Central, South
Attached Images
File Type: jpg California 3-Split.jpg (8.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg California Counties 4-Split.jpg (9.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-22-2013, 7:18 PM

Please split the Ammo/Reloading section. That'd be my vote before splitting long gun/handgun.

Old 08-22-2013, 7:53 PM

Lightbulb If its not broke why fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
As much as I like the idea of splitting the Marketplace I'm not sure I'm happy with the Long Gun/Handgun split.
There are several threads that have both a handgun and a long gun, what happens to them and do we make/allow multiple threads per user one in each forum?

I need to think about this a bit, as difficult as it is I think a North/South split might be better in the long run.

I can see it working one of two ways:
Or a seller based option, if you consider where you live So Cal post it in that forum, same for Nor Cal Calgunners.
We appreciate the effort but I have to say I agree with you on not liking the split. Having a pistol and rifle section just seems like a lot of clutter - same with the Norcal / Socal sections idea in this case less is more.

I think if you made having a location or zip code a mandatory field to register to be and or stay a member or at the very least to post in the for sale sections might be a more viable option than creating more sub sections / hoops / pitfalls for new people and computer challenged to navigate / jump through / get lost in or to have members sift through looking for both pistols and rifles or those selling both or who are willing to ship making multiple listings seems like it just make things more of a clustered mess than before and all pose more problem than solution! I honestly didn't see how it was really broke before if people used the search engine and filter features already provided and quite honestly just stopped being to lazy to look for what they wanted or stop thinking another sub section with only listings from their area will make said item magically appear no offense intended.

FOR SALE ! MAGPUL GRIP - MAGPUL STOCK - MAGPUL RVG : CLICK HERE ! : https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1637308
Old 08-23-2013, 6:46 AM

I guess the search for a particular hand gun isn't working any more.
Old 08-23-2013, 7:05 AM

Location: Western part of American Redoubt (http://survival-prepper.com/doku.php?id=american%20redoubt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotcaller6 View Post
I agree with shotcaller... please break the mktplace into 2 or 3 regions. Handgun versus longgun is not a useful split compared to regional. It takes a long time to weed through soccal posts when members dont list them on the thread title.

I agree with rebels 4 split plan below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
I like the idea of a C&R Exchange in the Marketplace, but I question the long-term viability. I'm also far from sold on separating handguns and long guns in the Marketplace.

Not bad. I've attached 2 maps I sketched up that divide California into 3 and 4 sections respectively. All divisions were made on county lines. Geographical divisions would be a pain, though there is a valid argument for an Eastern Sierra portion.

3-Split = North, Central, South
4-Split = North, Greater Bay, Central, South

----

NRA Life Member; also member of GunOwners.org of America, NRAila.org, Second Amendment Foundation SAF.org, CalGunsFoundation.org, CRPA.org, GunOwnersCA.com, NSSF.org, JPFO.org, Permies.com, thesurvivalpodcast.com Member Support Brigade, Wolf Pack member at thesurvivalistblog.net, Permaculture Homesteader, Minister. https://www.youtube.com/user/WesternRedoubt, https://twitter.com/AmericaRedoubt, https://plus.google.com/u/0/100074989588861962432, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ameri...43830355647369
Old 08-25-2013, 2:46 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

I'm not a fan of the split at all. I liked having one forum for all firearms sales, personally.

I also didn't really like the rifle forum split. It just doesn't make a lot of sense (to me) splitting them up like that. Just my $0.02.
Old 08-25-2013, 5:48 PM

I love the changes!

I also agree with what others have said about the marketplace split (even though I've never bought anything).
But, is there any way you could implement filters instead of having separate forums?
Like have a single forum for handguns,rifles, etc, but when making a thread have checkboxes for Nothern, Southern, Central, etc. Then you could see everything, and filter it to your region if you wanted.
Old 08-25-2013, 8:25 PM

Not liking the changes. Too many moves needed. I dont think splitting the areas (marketplace)is needed. People will still look in other areas to see what guns are selling for. Bring back the old forum.
Old 08-26-2013, 8:21 AM

First time I've heard Fresno and SoCal in the same sentence. I wouldn't want to drive an hour, let alone 4 hours for a transaction. I don't like the split either but trying to categorize in such huge regions won't solve anything.

What about a zip code filter and you can search what's closest?
Old 08-26-2013, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownpuncher View Post
Please split the Ammo/Reloading section. That'd be my vote before splitting long gun/handgun.
It's already split, it's in the "ammo and reloading" section. I think I'd like it back as a separate item in the Marketplace. From what I've seen, people can't find it where it is now
Old 08-26-2013, 9:14 AM

Thinking more on it, the less I like a regional marketplace split. What would really be nice would be to have the location in the title. Clicking on something that looks good, only to have them be in San Diego or some equivalent, is frustrating. After 5-6 instances of that I just stop looking.

While I'm still not a fan of splitting long guns and handguns (why is long gun two words and handgun one word? English language ftw), if the volume is high enough, it makes sense. I have a feeling in the long run these changes are better than what we had before.

Thank you admins for what you put in to the site. Even if I'm not in love with all of it, the fact you give enough of a damn speaks volumes.

Last edited by Rebel; 08-26-2013 at 9:17 AM.. Reason: Rewrite, thank you
Old 08-26-2013, 12:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Although I can see why it might seem like a good idea to split the Marketplace for handguns and long guns, I liked it better the way it was before. Now I've got to look in two places to see what's for sale locally.

Splitting geographically would be more useful, though I'm a bit ambivalent about even that. Sometimes I learn about new things by reading a post from the other end of the state. After all, GunsAmerica covers the whole country...

What would be really sweet would be a "geographical search" to find all the listings within a radius of 50 miles. Or 100 miles. Or whatever.

Perhaps easier to implement would be a drop-down list of predefined choices for location. The current free-form system allows too much freedom for efficient searching. Instead of entering "Sacramento", people put in one of dozen different suburbs or nearby towns. A drop-down list might help standardize these names. A dozen (or less) metropolitan "area" names would cover the whole state.

It would also be sweet to be able to do searches that include special characters. I still can't figure out how to find "S&W". Anybody know how to do this?

UPDATE: Well, knock me over with a feather. The search for "S&W" works now! I even found a Model 58 for sale! In the "Long Guns" forum, at the other end of the state :-( Now, if we could just get the search for "S&W 58" to work...

Last edited by DesertLefty; 08-29-2013 at 1:28 AM..
Old 08-26-2013, 5:19 PM

I think this topic was brought up before regarding a separate thread for optics.
I do finding it difficult to search for optics in the "parts and accessories" thread, it's often bombarded with mostly AR15 parts and the likes. It might be a stretch to have sub categories for Rifles and Handguns, but it would definitely alleviate tension on the eyes.
Thanks for your hard work and time, the forum is looking good, looking forward to see more changes.
- RCBS Lube-A-Matic Sizer Die 500 Diameter+ top punch
Old 08-28-2013, 5:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Question

Is it my imagination, or is the board running SLOWER these days - even in off-peak hours?

I'm usually on here first thing in the morning, which is 7-9am EST - a relatively SLOW time for you left-coast sorts, and it's still taking forever to load pages.

And BEFORE you ask...

I'm browsing from home with this.
Old 08-28-2013, 9:11 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
And if you are IN Fresno, you are neither Norcal nor Socal, so you have to declare an allegiance and move.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-28-2013, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
And if you are IN Fresno, you are neither Norcal nor Socal, so you have to declare an allegiance and move.

- RCBS Lube-A-Matic Sizer Die 500 Diameter+ top punch
Old 08-28-2013, 7:23 PM

Love what you've done with the place!
Old 08-29-2013, 2:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

All I can say is "what took so long?"

Just kidding... looks great guys, thanks!!
Old 09-06-2014, 7:18 AM

I think you can set up the marketplace by regions now based on the way you did Community. This will greatly help the forum and not have to worry about Nor Cal vs So Cal lines. Keeps it uniform.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Don't ever separate the Marketplace geographically. That would be horrible. I'm not "geographically challenged". Cars and motorcycles have a funny way of alleviating that issue.

Also, I have never been thrilled about the Marketplace long-gun/handgun split and I especially hate that C&R Marketplace was buried elsewhere in the "Collector's Exchange". I would rather scan everything, all in one place, and all too often people have rifles, handguns, and C&R in the same thread since they are only allowed to have one thread for sales and to keep it simple for themselves.

A for the "Collector's Exchange" - what's the point? Now that long-guns 50 years and older must also get DROSed, and most all handguns must get DROSed or go PPT, why have a separate section for C&R Marketplace at all? I understand many people have a C&R and COE, but that doesn't change the fact that plenty of others don't that often buy/sell as much or more than some with a C&R/COE.

I'm interested in all firearms and I would rather just scan all types for sale in their entirety in one sales forum. I like the guns / parts / WTB / non-gun related items split, but other than that, I prefer all guns be in one section posting for sale.

My eyes will do the work.

Old 09-25-2014, 3:43 AM

How can I stop the site from defaulting to the iPhone layout? It requires me to login every time I access the site when clicking on a "Reply to Thread" email link, even when I am already logged in. Very annoying.
Old 09-25-2014, 4:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleEagle View Post
How can I stop the site from defaulting to the iPhone layout? It requires me to login every time I access the site when clicking on a "Reply to Thread" email link, even when I am already logged in. Very annoying.
I just go back here, and use the "user CP" to find the recent posts to subscribed threads.

I have as of yet be unable to find a way to default to the "normal" version vs the iPhone version.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleEagle View Post
When wanting to switch from iPhone mode, go to the very bottom of any page - far left, click "Normal Version"

To get to iPhone version, go to the bottom blue bar of any page - left side drop down menu, you have a choice of CalGuns 1.0, iPhone or CalGuns 1.1

----

or try:

User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Options > Miscellaneous Options > Forum Skin, select "Use Forum Default"

Last edited by Pinto; 09-25-2014 at 10:39 AM..
Old 12-18-2014, 6:00 PM

Just an observation but the recent shift where national Litigation gets lumped into the national 2nd amend political and legal discussion seems to dilute the objective of separating litigation and litigation updates vs political activities, legislation and legal debates of sorts.

It almost seems if you are going to Separate the CA political discussion from CA litigation, that the national forum might benefit from that same separation. especially since so much nationally is going on that impacts CA and our litigation efforts the ability to seek out those threads in a more consolidated forum sub section might be helpful. As it seems if national legislative activities, legal discussion and court rulings are all lumped together in the national forum it seems to dilute things and possible the ability to separate the relevant litigation threads from, legal banter and from the legislative activities nationally before they get pushed down and buried. sometimes consolidation is good but the differentiations between legislative and legal discussion vs actual litigation seems like a helpful separation that works well for the CA information. The national forum on the other hand seems to now serve almost as a catch all for new articles, legislation litigation and more which sometimes seems to bury a lot

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism (54 Viewing)
Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion (31 Viewing)
Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion (16 Viewing)
Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is

Just a suggestion. i dont think its overly necessary but i think with the volume of national activity it might be worth a pause to think about

Last edited by ddestruel; 12-18-2014 at 6:03 PM..
Old 02-12-2015, 4:21 PM

Too many ads
Old 02-12-2015, 5:17 PM

Default late ? feedback on forum subcategories...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddestruel View Post
Just an observation but the recent shift where national Litigation gets lumped into the national 2nd amend political and legal discussion seems to dilute the objective of separating litigation and litigation updates vs political activities, legislation and legal debates of sorts.

It almost seems if you are going to Separate the CA political discussion from CA litigation, that the national forum might benefit from that same separation. especially since so much nationally is going on that impacts CA and our litigation efforts the ability to seek out those threads in a more consolidated forum sub section might be helpful. As it seems if national legislative activities, legal discussion and court rulings are all lumped together in the national forum it seems to dilute things and possible the ability to separate the relevant litigation threads from, legal banter and from the legislative activities nationally before they get pushed down and buried. sometimes consolidation is good but the differentiations between legislative and legal discussion vs actual litigation seems like a helpful separation that works well for the CA information. The national forum on the other hand seems to now serve almost as a catch all for new articles, legislation litigation and more which sometimes seems to bury a lot

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism (54 Viewing)
Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion (31 Viewing)
Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion (16 Viewing)
Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is

Just a suggestion. i dont think its overly necessary but i think with the volume of national activity it might be worth a pause to think about
+1. Just saw this today, as I dont browse a lot of the rest of Calguns, but I think DD is on to something.
If you are trying to keep forums clear and obvious to new users, and
make most use of Tapatalk and mobile formats, then may I suggest- anything that provides a cleaner, simpler "look" on the front landing page, that makes it easy for younger readers accustomed to blogs and flash formatted sites to check on their phones-
while still retaining the strengths of this older BB type format, that is more familiar to long time PC and bulletin board users.

That means fewer boxes on top level, and expand the tree below that, and letting stale news roll off bottom naturally, more like the blog format.

2A Litigation and Legal Discussion -
to DDs observation, but with a twist- simplify by taking out the CA vs National division- Having ALL cases and legal discussion in one place makes it easier to comment and crosscheck on related LEGAL concepts in all cases underway, that otherwise you would miss, having to jump back and forth, CA to National -
good example is how like Peruta and "Palmer v2"(wren, akers vs dc) are related.

2A News, Politics and Other Discussion
. Again, since 2A news is national AND state, and so intertwined, simplifying the top level gives a quick look for whats new,
and next level down can segment to State and National, if needed. If you can educate newer readers how to use subscribe that will keep them on top of and reminded of anything that scrolls past first page or two- which is a pain to refresh, but gets WAY too detailed and cluttered to read on a smaller screen,
if you try to keep more on the flat front page, like the BB format, now.

I would suggest the timeliness of most posts, will take care of themselves, as interest wanes and newer stories push them down, and newer readers who are familiar with the blog format wont find that objectionable, and older readers who already know of the subscriptions and search features, can stay in daily touch that way.

for example, those intent on following long threads on game theory, hypotheticals, or other interesting arcana can simply subscribe to those,
without inconveniencing those who have to wade thru long posts in sequence to find out if "something is new".

I think Librarians idea to sticky current or high interest cases helps to consolidate multiple breaking news posts by individuals, and redirect traffic that way, as appropriate.
And using stickies for something long-term in CA is another way to get the benefit of both fast scan, and deep detail in one page.

just my $.02

NRA Lifetime Member, SAF Lifetime Member

Last edited by rlc2; 02-12-2015 at 5:32 PM..
Old 05-06-2015, 1:31 AM

Hi, I am a new member and I'm looking for other topics of interest. Anyway, having more sub forums and other sections would be cool! Have a great day to all
Old 05-24-2015, 12:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Good lord, what happened to the site? I want to reply to this post but I can't figure out how... the new garish animimated gifs and oversized graphics cover everything!

There used to be a button I could click to quote a message or simply reply, and I can't find either.

The homepage is virtually unusable now, too... but apprently I can only put one picture in a post. I'll make another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.3 KB, 30 views)

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper
Old 05-24-2015, 12:26 AM

This is how bad the home page looks now. The CLICK HERE icons are all flashing. What in the world happened? This is like some nightmare horror from the nineties! What happend to the site?!?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (98.9 KB, 43 views)

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

Last edited by Agent Akin; 05-24-2015 at 1:37 AM..
Old 05-24-2015, 1:28 AM

When I type calguns.net, I get thrown into the New Posts list. Not what I wanted. And I did clear my cache.

I prefer the usual home page and I agree, please tone down the flashing icons. I almost had a seizure....
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:50 PM

All of these bold Calgun.net and flashing gifs very difficult to read/find posts. Just my opinion.
Old 06-03-2015, 3:14 PM

Please get rid of the flashing adds. I enjoy the site, but I dint enjoy these Adds
Old 06-03-2015, 5:11 PM

I think some of you guys got a weird format on the page. None of what I'm seeing in your pictures should be there. The only ads are the block at the top of the screen and the three at the far bottom.
Old 08-09-2015, 7:32 PM

The Single Action crowd NEEDS TO have a category here on Calguns. The SA, lever, and SASS crowd is more than big enough here on Calguns to make this happen. Moderators! Calguns Staff! Web Master! We are HERE! PLEASE give us a category to discuss this side of the gun hobby, too. THANK YOU!