Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-27-2012, 8:54 PM
Paid Government Shill
CGN Contributor

Default "Colt" brand vs non listed brand AR

Question for all LEOs. Does owning a CA legal "Colt" raise more questions than it is worth. For example if I get pulled over with a legal Daniel Defense or S&W those brands are not on the list but the name "Colt" is.

There is a CA compliant Colt now but am I just being paronoid by the brand name of "Colt". I know the law but still is just having a Colt raise an eyebrow over the off list brands

Any insight would be great. Please no it's legal regardless and cops should know etc etc. I may be legal to own a Colt but you can still be arrested by a unknowing LEO and spend days before charges dismissed.

Thanks in advance . . .
It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream
Old 02-27-2012, 9:35 PM
Calguns Addict

I run the same risk with my off list, bullet buttoned Stag lower / LMT mil-spec upper... at least here in Sonoma County where local LEO have been having issues arresting people with legal rifles. Since I am no longer an active LEO I don't have any more cushion than you do if I choose to own a legal rifle. That is part of the deal that comes with suffering from Black Rifle Disease.

Keep a copy of the flow chart with your rifle when you are to and from where ever it is you are going to shoot it. The specific Colt models banned by name are listed.

The other part is to not do anything silly that will attract attention from law enforcement.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 02-28-2012, 9:28 AM
Paid Government Shill
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogatPlay View Post
That is part of the deal that comes with suffering from Black Rifle Disease.

Keep a copy of the flow chart with your rifle when you are to and from where ever it is you are going to shoot it. The specific Colt models banned by name are listed.

The other part is to not do anything silly that will attract attention from law enforcement.

Thanks . . . That's what everyone says "just don't get pulled over". Nobody ever tries to get pulled over :-). So I think I'm going with Daniel Defense mostly because:
a. Great rifle great quality
b. Because DD is not on the list.

I really wanted a Colt, but I'd hate to be coming home from Metcalf Range and get pulled over with my kids who I take shooting with me, only to have some uniformed Highway Patrol or Local LEO say:

Officer - "Colt, hmmmmm looks like yer going to jail".
Me - "But officer it's a completely different model see it's not on the list"
Officer - "Says Colt right here on the lower"
Me - "Yes but you see my gun says M4 and the list says AR15"
Officer - "Your going to jail anyway and the DA can decide what to do"
Me - "OK can you give my kids a ride home . . . "

Extreme I know, but paranoia comes with parenthood.

Thanks . . .
It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream
Old 03-08-2012, 2:40 AM

Most important here is not the brand of rifle but it's configuration. Be sure it is properly configured, featureless, or bullet button with mag attached, no greater than 10 rd capacity. That you are transporting properly, you are legal to possess, and don't forget the attitude test. Be compliant, answer the questions, and be on your way.
Old 03-08-2012, 3:00 AM

ON the new colts they changed the roll mark they are not on list guns and are not listed as LE they are now marked with SP and M-4
Old 03-08-2012, 3:46 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I'd probably say "Nice rifle".. but then again I know OLL's and the law.
Old 03-08-2012, 1:04 PM
Veteran Member

Usually the DROS is enough to convince uneducated LEO's that the rifle is legal. If it escalates from that, I would include a copy of the Colts on the AWB/flow chart list and demonstrate that I.E Colt model SP6920CA isn't banned per the list.

It just depends...

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 03-08-2012 at 1:10 PM..
Old 03-08-2012, 8:19 PM

To be honest if an officer understands OLLs and BBs then he will understand not all Colts are evil.

If he doesn't understand OLLs and BBs then he probably isn't going to understand not all Colts are evil.

As for me if I were going OLL then it means it is not for work purposes. What I want for a rifle is far different than what I want from work. Work iff they allowed personal ARs I would get the OLL Colt then modify it to RAW with letterhead so that if in the future I got the "turn it in letter" I could whip out the old BB and say, "not so fast." Our department is likely to be a Colt or nothing department if we allow personal rifles.
Old 03-08-2012, 8:29 PM

My Colt has done very well (I haven't owned it very long) as long as you load it up with good quality ammo and give it a cleaning,you'll be set with a good rifle/carbine.
Old 03-09-2012, 7:52 PM

I have one on lay away and can't wait to pay it off and shoot it. I am not worried about the Colt name and I am glad to see Colt selling rifles to citizens in California again.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"