Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-29-2010, 9:11 AM

Having completed the one of the departments hiring process you have listed just be honest as you were on here. It is not illegal and if everything is as it should you will be fine. With all your answers just be honest, speak clearly and confidently. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2010, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedog665 View Post
Having completed the one of the departments hiring process you have listed just be honest as you were on here. It is not illegal and if everything is as it should you will be fine. With all your answers just be honest, speak clearly and confidently. Good luck!
Thank you Dave Dog, posts like yours give me confidence. And thank you for reading the whole thread (or at least enough to make a reasonable judgment about me), I seem to remember posting several times that I have no reason or nor intention to lie on my application yet people keep telling me not to.
Either people are just too lazy to read any of my prior posts or there is an abundant enough occurrence of people lying on LEO applications to warrant posting it over and over and over again.

In any case, if someone had an inclination to lie about ANYTHING on an LEO application, they have no business becoming one. I'd say the top issue most Californians have with law enforcement in our state is a lack of integrity, as is evidenced by the numerous "cop bashing" threads that have occurred on calguns in the past. Their number one priority should be to promote and attract honest applicants, otherwise all the negative stereotypes about cops will be perpetuated.
Old 06-29-2010, 4:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
AFS means Automated Firearms System. The computer system LEO's use to check firearms data base, owners, thefts & etc. To be honest I can get more info about a candidate from one's Facebook, Myspace & etc page than a list of firearms they own. Be careful what you put on there (hint, hint)!!
My Son was in our local PD Explorers programs many years ago. One of his fellow Explorers was the Son of a Sheriff's Deputy and was eventually hired as a PD Cadet while he tried to get on with LASD. He failed the Background Check because of some comments posted on his 'Myspace' page. One of his buddies was joking about a pic on the page and referred to him as 'You Gangsta Thug'. The Kid is white and from the Suburbs. The comment referred to a pose in the pic. After LASD rejected him he was fired from the PD because they only want Cadets who might go into LE. They figured if LASD did not want him, neither did they.
Luckily, the kid was eventually hired by the Border Patrol and so far has a very successful career.
BOTTOM LINE: Myspace, Facebook, Classmates, etc. are all Public Forums and you cannot control everything that might appear about you. Those things you cannot control can really screw you up.
Good luck.
Old 06-29-2010, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFord150 View Post
My Son was in our local PD Explorers programs many years ago. One of his fellow Explorers was the Son of a Sheriff's Deputy and was eventually hired as a PD Cadet while he tried to get on with LASD. He failed the Background Check because of some comments posted on his 'Myspace' page. One of his buddies was joking about a pic on the page and referred to him as 'You Gangsta Thug'. The Kid is white and from the Suburbs. The comment referred to a pose in the pic. After LASD rejected him he was fired from the PD because they only want Cadets who might go into LE. They figured if LASD did not want him, neither did they.
Luckily, the kid was eventually hired by the Border Patrol and so far has a very successful career.
BOTTOM LINE: Myspace, Facebook, Classmates, etc. are all Public Forums and you cannot control everything that might appear about you. Those things you cannot control can really screw you up.
Good luck.
I had a myspace at one point for a total of like 6 months, but have since deleted it--not because of questionable content, but rather from lack of use. Other than that, the only sustained online presence I have is here on calguns.

After reviewing some of the replies on this thread I decided to google my name and online handle and found their was very little of anything about me online. Surprisingly enough, there was someone else on some video game forums that had the same handle as me. I would have thought "killmime1234" would be rather unique, but evidently I'm wrong. Either that or somebody's playing copycat.

-Also, for anyone wondering, "killmime1234" is an inside joke of sorts. When I was in 7th or 8th grade I drew a cartoon frame of a dead mime with the caption, "when you're a mime, no one can hear you scream" (an allusion to the movie Alien, FYI). My friends all thought it was pretty funny, albeit tasteless. In retrospect, it probably wasn't the best choice for a handle, but I don't think there is anyway to change it at this point and I would hope that whichever LEO entity is investigating my background would rely much more heavily on the content of what I posted rather than the name under which I posted it.

Last edited by killmime1234; 06-29-2010 at 5:13 PM.. Reason: forgot to add "is"
Old 06-30-2010, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmime1234 View Post
Either people are just too lazy to read any of my prior posts or there is an abundant enough occurrence of people lying on LEO applications to warrant posting it over and over and over again.
Honesty is very important. How credible will you be when you testify in court?

Nobody is saying you're lying. That's up to the background investigator to find out. People are just reminding you.

Last edited by SIP2000GLO; 06-30-2010 at 5:13 AM..
Old 06-30-2010, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIP2000GLO View Post
Honesty is very important. How credible will you be when you testify in court?

Nobody is saying you're lying. That's up to the background investigator to find out. People are just reminding you.
I understand. Maybe I'm just being defensive. It's not fun being told "don't lie!" when you're not a liar. But I suppose the people on Calguns don't know me on a personal level and therefore can't vouch for my integrity, and that is excellent advice to give anyone in my position. Thanks guys!