Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankW438 View Post
Great minds think alike! I didn't think about using this as leverage to repeal the FOID card...
Who was the nice lady from Ohio that wanted an FOID, and is her case still active? This might be a nice Christmas gift for her...and anybody else that might like to carry their weapon across a state line legally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Earl Jones
The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Something tells me that Grey Peterson and some of the CGF members may very well win their bets with those steak dinners pretty soon.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:39 AM

Location: In the desert, about halfway between Somewhere and Somewhere Else
Default Does Moore v. Madigan change anything in Cal?

Ok so today's 7th Circuit Court of Appeals decision in Moore v. Madigan finds (as we all already know) that the 2nd Amendment applies to the right to carry firearms in public.

“...the right to keep and bear arms, itself, extends beyond the boundary of one’s front door."

“The Second Amendment,” Judge Posner writes, “states in its entirety that ‘a well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.’ The right to ‘bear’ as distinct from the right to ‘keep’ arms is unlikely to refer to the home. To speak of ‘bearing’ arms within one’s home would at all times have been an awkward usage. A right to bear arms thus implies a right to carry a loaded gun outside the home."

http://www.saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=415

Will this decision help us here, or will we have to wait for the case to inevitably be taken to SCOTUS?

Considering of course that the "may issue" law here is, in some counties (L.A., S.F., etc) "may issue" is "won't issue," meaning that carrying publicly is de facto banned, this decision should require a legislative change here (no, i do realize that i need oxygen and am not holding my breath).

Thoughts?

Last edited by ayemossum; 12-11-2012 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: district? circuit? who's counting?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:41 AM

Great news
Old 12-11-2012, 11:45 AM

I am a law illiterate and forgive me if this question may be nieve.... but will this open up doors for us here in California? I know right now in SB county it is a long wait for your CCW permit. Maybe this will open up doors to streamline the wait.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint7 View Post
I am a law illiterate and forgive me if this question may be nieve.... but will this open up doors for us here in California? I know right now in SB county it is a long wait for your CCW permit. Maybe this will open up doors to streamline the wait.
not directly as we are in the 9th circuit here, this case was from the 7th. But it can be persuasive to the 9th as they are now reviewing the 2 carry cases here from CA.

I'm sure there will be some supplimental filings to the 9th to notify them of this decision and it's bearing on the CA cases.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 12-11-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BigPea View Post
Oh I can't wait to see how the Brady's spin this one! "There will be blood flowing down the streets as wild lawless men run around with guns in both hands!"
So business as usual in Chicago then.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdimeo View Post

Illinois, unfortunately, is going to respond with an extremely restrictive may-issue law, and round-and-round it'll go.
Not necessarily, I think we've got the anti's pissing their pants:

"The (Illinois) legislature, in the new session, will be forced to take up a statewide carry law," said NRA lobbyist Todd Vandermyde.

The lobbyist said prior attempts to reach a middle ground with opponents will no longer be necessary because "those compromises are going out the window."

And Rep. Phelps, who has pepeatedly introduced bills:

Phelps fought unsuccessfully in the House to pass concealed weapons legislation with a long set of restrictions, but he warned opponents of his legislation may regret they had not supported it when they had a chance. Now, he said, he “can’t see us” going forward with legislation that has as many restrictions as the bill that failed.

We'll see what happens, but I'm guessing we get a pretty good carry bill.

Andy
Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 AM

Thanks Untamed1972.

Let's all move to Chi-town!

Never thought I'd say that.
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by safewaysecurity View Post
Just read some of it... looks like a loss...

Yeah . . . . a loss to Illinois.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Is this decision possible to be cited in California counties or is the scope limited to Illinois state? My initial impression was this could only be cited in Illinois... Huge victory tho and really shows the impact of the Heller decision!
It can be cited as authoritative precedent in the 7th District.

It can be cited as "FYI" outside the District. Meaning it doesn't control the other district, but may influence it's reasoning somewhat. And also clue other districts that if they directly contradict, they're setting the stage for a Supreme Court battle to decide who's right.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uyoga View Post
Yeah . . . . a loss to Illinois.
Edited my post

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 12-11-2012, 12:14 PM

Wow.. too bad this didn't come before Kachalsky. I don't know what everyone else is reading though. I'm just finishing the Kachalsky portion and basically Posner said that you cannot have a blanket ban, but the state deciding who most needs a permit is A-OK since it limits the persons who may carry.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdimeo View Post
Clear win.

Illinois, unfortunately, is going to respond with an extremely restrictive may-issue law, and round-and-round it'll go.

Seems like not enough of a split against Kachalsky or Masciandaro to force supreme court review.

ETA: kalchasky/masciandaro summary is on page 17-19. Main holding P.20-21. Dissent starts on 21. I mostly skimmed
before about 15, but it's basically heller-style historical analysis, as is the dissent.
EXACTLY. The court gave the legislature 180 days and essentially said "re-write this thing so as to pass constitutional muster" So they will, and thus will end the chapter. Once you get around the per se ban, and impose ludicrous limits and hoops to jump through, no court will second guess the regulation. You are NEVER going to see "shall issue" in Ill. or NY or CA. Period.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Wow.. too bad this didn't come before Kachalsky. I don't know what everyone else is reading though. I'm just finishing the Kachalsky portion and basically Posner said that you cannot have a blanket ban, but the state deciding who most needs a permit is A-OK since it limits the persons who may carry.
They also said the need for being armed in the dangerous neighborhood of Chicago is greater than the need to be armed at home. So the standard would be if you can own a gun then you can carry. Defacto shall-issue. It would be nice to see them pass a simple law since Chicago has FOID just to say if you have an FOID that you can carry. But we all know hey will most likely have a training requirement of some sort whether that includes live-fire I wouldn't know.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
^
Old 12-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Don't read into it so much. The court merely compared Illinois law to some of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation to make the point that the Illinois law is unacceptable by every standard imaginable. This does not mean the ruling rubber stamps may issue laws. It just says even those are less restrictive than the IL law.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBear View Post
Don't read into it so much. The court merely compared Illinois law to some of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation to make the point that the Illinois law is unacceptable by every standard imaginable. This does not mean the ruling rubber stamps may issue laws. It just says even those are less restrictive than the IL law.
This sort of ruling should help out the Hawaii case i would imagine.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
This sort of ruling should help out the Hawaii case i would imagine.
Hawaii dismissed today.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:24 PM

This was a pretty no-nonsense panel - but my favorite quote:
Quote:
It is not a property right—a right to kill a houseguest who in a fit of aesthetic fury tries to slash your copy of Norman Rockwell’s painting Santa with Elves. That is not self-defense, and this case like Heller and McDonald is just about self-defense.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Hawaii dismissed today.
Link to that by chance?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djandj View Post
EXACTLY. The court gave the legislature 180 days and essentially said "re-write this thing so as to pass constitutional muster" So they will, and thus will end the chapter. Once you get around the per se ban, and impose ludicrous limits and hoops to jump through, no court will second guess the regulation. You are NEVER going to see "shall issue" in Ill. or NY or CA. Period.
I think your are correct and, as much as I detest that reality, we need to deal with it.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Something tells me that Grey Peterson and some of the CGF members may very well win their bets with those steak dinners pretty soon.
Those are going to be tasty steaks.
Quote:
Wanna bet a steak? See, the problem here is that you would have bet me that no carry law would be struck, yet here we are.

The minimum constitutional standard for "bear arms" will be the ability to carry a loaded handgun most places after meeting objective licensing standards and in the manner that the legislature requires. That's the minimum and it will include Madison Ave, Manhattan, NY.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 12-11-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I don't believe that's true. Pro-gun forces have a majority in the Illinois legislature. They're short of the supermajority needed to override the anti-gun governor, but with this ruling, they don't need a supermajority. They don't even need to vote at all! If they simply stonewall for 6 months, IL goes constitutional carry. Let it sink in a bit. That possibility is so terrifying to the anti-gun governor and Chicago legislators that if they have any shred of sense, they will beat a path to the pro-gun legislators' doors in a frantic effort to pass anything at all short of constitutional carry to prevent the court's ruling from taking effect.

Prior to this ruling, IL anti-gun forces won the waiting game. Now we do. It's a game-changer. They now have to beg us to support something they hate in order to prevent being utterly crushed by the court. That gives us power. We can now demand other concessions, too. Perhaps they would be willing to get rid of the FOID card rather than allow constitutional carry. See? We have leverage!

Last edited by pointedstick; 12-11-2012 at 12:55 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 12:54 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Those are going to be tasty steaks.

Wanna bet a steak? See, the problem here is that you would have bet me that no carry law would be struck, yet here we are.

The minimum constitutional standard for "bear arms" will be the ability to carry a loaded handgun most places after meeting objective licensing standards and in the manner that the legislature requires. That's the minimum and it will include Madison Ave, Manhattan, NY.

-Gene
So Gene, are you saying that ILL, the most anti-gun state around, is simply going to let this 180 days lapse and NOT re-write the law to allow some limited application so it passes muster? See I'm betting that a "some" carry law will not be struck. NO carry at all is constitutionally difficult, but yet, here in CA the vast majority of us will NEVER see a CCW and yet, no one is anywhere close to overturning the Sheriff's perrogative. So why wouldn't ILL simply put together a draconian policy and say good luck. Just like DOC did after Heller.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
We won't see shall-issue in Illinois? The state where they were 2-3 votes shy of a super majority to pass shall-issue very recently? Where the NRA has already said they have the votes for Shall-Issue. Here's my prediction and you can take it to the Bank. Illinois goes Shall-Issue before California, New York, Massachusetts, D.C, New Jersey, and Hawaii.

Quote:
^
Old 12-11-2012, 1:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So Gene, are you saying that ILL, the most anti-gun state around, is simply going to let this 180 days lapse and NOT re-write the law to allow some limited application so it passes muster? See I'm betting that a "some" carry law will not be struck. NO carry at all is constitutionally difficult, but yet, here in CA the vast majority of us will NEVER see a CCW and yet, no one is anywhere close to overturning the Sheriff's perrogative. So why wouldn't ILL simply put together a draconian policy and say good luck. Just like DOC did after Heller.
The problem is you assume the anti gun forces in Chicago control the Illinois state legislature. The legislature almost got a decent shall issue bill through with the required 3/5 majority in their last attempt. Why on Earth would they put through a may issue rat's nest now when inaction after 180 days would default to constitutional carry? This ruling is only going to make the next carry bill proposal stronger, because the pro gun forces hold the cards now.
Old 12-11-2012, 1:00 PM
Veteran Member

Ironic, isn’t it?

Last edited by M. D. Van Norman; 12-11-2012 at 1:03 PM.. Reason: Punctuation.
Old 12-11-2012, 1:01 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint7 View Post

Old 12-11-2012, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, Illinois will pass a carry law before the 180 days expire. However, it will be less onerous than California's current concealed carry process. Posner as much as told the Illinois legislature that a law similar to New York's will not pass Constitutional muster. Moreover, for political reasons already discussed above, the pro-gun legislators in Illinois now have very good bargaining power when it comes to drafting the law.

As it currently stands, Illinois will have shall-issue carry before California. What a world.
Old 12-11-2012, 1:07 PM

Quote:
So Gene, are you saying that ILL, the most anti-gun state around, is simply going to let this 180 days lapse and NOT re-write the law to allow some limited application so it passes muster?
IL is not the most anti-gun state. It does contain perhaps the most anti-gun metro area, but statewide, there's a pro-gun majority.
Old 12-11-2012, 1:09 PM
Vendor/Retailer

someone buy this judge a steak and beer.
Old 12-11-2012, 1:09 PM

I don't think the pro-gun people in the IL legislature are pro-gun to the level of holding out for "foid card" carry*, they'll want to pass something too.
But there should be enough sensible state reps to hold out for a good shall issue bill.

* IL requires a FOID card to even own (or in stores touch) a gun, so even if the ruling goes into full effect, IL still won't be constitutional carry, you still have to get a FOID card, which all things considered is pretty easy to get, $10 + photo, they do a background check and 4-6 weeks later, you get your card and can go shopping.
Old 12-11-2012, 1:11 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Quote:
The problem is you assume the anti gun forces in Chicago control the Illinois state legislature. The legislature almost got a decent shall issue bill through with the required 3/5 majority in their last attempt. Why on Earth would they put through a may issue rat's nest now when inaction after 180 days would default to constitutional carry? This ruling is only going to make the next carry bill proposal stronger, because the pro gun forces hold the cards now.
Well I admit I have no idea of the make up of the ILL legislature, but given they have among the most restrictive gun laws in the country, I'll bet they are pretty anti-gun and so are most of the voting public (i.e. most of Chicago) SO assuming this, if the anti's want to keep guns out of the hands of its people (as I assume they do given the laws) they will draft a very restrictive carry law (or narrowly interpret constitutional carry and viola - you have Orange County. NO ONE gets CCW's, but we all have the chance to apply. Virtually unassailable for a constitutional standpoint and they still win b/c no one gets the guns. Just a logical argument. You may be right that the conservatives are storming the gates and may impose shall issue some day, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 12-11-2012, 1:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Why does everyone assume there will be automatic constitutional carry in 180 days? They simply said the decision is stayed for 180 days before the lower district court has to deal with it. Couldn't the lower district court say. Well it's been 180 days and no new law so I will determine the constitutional minimum?

Quote:
^
Old 12-11-2012, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Well I admit I have no idea of the make up of the ILL legislature, but given they have among the most restrictive gun laws in the country, I'll bet they are pretty anti-gun and so are most of the voting public (i.e. most of Chicago) SO assuming this, if the anti's want to keep guns out of the hands of its people (as I assume they do given the laws) they will draft a very restrictive carry law (or narrowly interpret constitutional carry and viola - you have Orange County.
You don't seem to understand that Illinois pro-gun forces have a legislative majority. The only reason why IL isn't ALREADY shall-issue is because the anti-gun governor vetoes their bills and therefore requires a supermajority, which they don't quite have. If the anti-gun minority drafts an insulting may-issue bill in order to stave off virtual constitutional carry, the pro-gun majority will laugh in their faces.

The game has changed. Time is now on our side. They have to beg us.
Old 12-11-2012, 1:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by safewaysecurity View Post
Why does everyone assume there will be automatic constitutional carry in 180 days? They simply said the decision is stayed for 180 days before the lower district court has to deal with it. Couldn't the lower district court say. Well it's been 180 days and no new law so I will determine the constitutional minimum?
It seemed pretty explicit in the final portion of the ruling that the panel was remanding the case to the district court for permanent injunction and a statement of unconstitutionality. Sure seems to me like the carry law is going to be tossed after 180 days.
Old 12-11-2012, 1:18 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon View Post
Thanks defcon... My coffee just came out of every orifice on my face and I don't care. You just made my day.
Old 12-11-2012, 1:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Well I admit I have no idea of the make up of the ILL legislature, but given they have among the most restrictive gun laws in the country, I'll bet they are pretty anti-gun and so are most of the voting public (i.e. most of Chicago) SO assuming this, if the anti's want to keep guns out of the hands of its people (as I assume they do given the laws) they will draft a very restrictive carry law (or narrowly interpret constitutional carry and viola - you have Orange County. NO ONE gets CCW's, but we all have the chance to apply. Virtually unassailable for a constitutional standpoint and they still win b/c no one gets the guns. Just a logical argument. You may be right that the conservatives are storming the gates and may impose shall issue some day, but I'm not holding my breath.
Where do you get that that Illinois has the most restrictive gun laws in the country? They are probably not even top 10. You can own ARs and AKs with 30 round mags and no bullet button crap in Illinois outside of Cook County. I would much rather have the Illinois Legislature than the one here in Cali.

Quote:
^
Old 12-11-2012, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coded-Dude View Post
So this was another SAF/NRA joint case? (NRA-ILA?)
Not really. They were separate cases litigating the same thing but in different district courts within IL. However they were combined on appeal. Moore was an SAF funded case and Shepard was an NRA/ISRA funded case if it matters to you.
Nos. 12-1269, 12-1788
MICHAEL MOORE, et al., and
MARY E. SHEPARD, et al.,
Plaintiffs-Appellants,

vs.

LISA MADIGAN, ATTORNEY GENERAL
OF ILLINOIS, et al.,
Defendants-Appellees.
Appeals from the United States District Courts for the
Central District of Illinois and the Southern District of Illinois.
Nos. 3:11-cv-3134-SEM-BGC and 3:11-cv-405-WDS-PMF—

Last edited by Crom; 12-11-2012 at 1:22 PM..