Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 05-22-2013, 2:44 PM

Default Tell me about the Benelli M4

I have an 870 Police Magnum. I suddenly want a Benelli M4.

Will the m4 be as reliable, generally, as my 870P?

Will it cycle target loads or reduced recoil buck and slugs?

How many rounds can one put through a Benelli M4 before it is "worn out"?

People shoot thousands of rounds through their 870s...will the M4 wear out sooner due to its aluminum frame, or different design? How many rounds can one expect from the Benelli?
If I buy an expensive shotgun, I want to be able to shoot the living **** out of it and not worry about wearing it out, and I have my skepticisms about aluminum receivers and frames, despite having a p226 lol.
Old 05-22-2013, 6:12 PM

M4 is designed to shoot 25K rounds without having to replace any parts. I would expect it to be reliable since the Marines carry it. I just picked up mine a few days ago so I haven't tried out different rounds yet. I expect the low recoil rounds to not cycle until after some break-in period. I would still not use low recoil rounds even if after break-in period. It's an expensive shotgun but you get what you paid for.
Old 05-22-2013, 6:45 PM

Benelli M4's are garbage. That's all you need to know
Old 05-22-2013, 8:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have had 3.

It still has trouble cycling low wall stuff. But not designed to. Unfortunately some ranges you must use their ammo and it's tame.

But all mine cycled the full power stuff.

The gun will not wear out in your usage. Im just going away from tacticool looking stuff.
Old 05-22-2013, 9:03 PM

Love my M4. Very reliable and accurate. It does not like low recoil stuff. Your Walmart bulk pack rounds work fine. Never had a problem with slugs or buck.
Check out Dave's Metal Works and Nordic Components.
Old 05-22-2013, 9:10 PM

Walmart bulk federal is fine, do NOT use bulk winchester. had a lot of issues with that stuff.
Old 05-22-2013, 9:35 PM

I had a Benelli M2 and sold it to get a 870P. I figured I wanted something that would feed anything from low recoil to magnum loads. The pump is just a simpler design and the 870P is time tested.
Old 05-23-2013, 9:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
I had a Benelli M2 and sold it to get a 870P. I figured I wanted something that would feed anything from low recoil to magnum loads. The pump is just a simpler design and the 870P is time tested.
I agree. Initially, i wanted to do 3 gun, and also throw lots of lead. The reality is that you'll probably never need your shotgun in self defense. And if you do, the pump during a shot or two will do.

In CA it will be needed during a big power loss, due to an earthquake. A few days of defense ability will do.
Old 05-23-2013, 1:52 PM

I don't understand how low recoil rounds would make a difference since it don't use recoil to cycle its gas operated ?
Old 05-23-2013, 2:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 blazer View Post
I don't understand how low recoil rounds would make a difference since it don't use recoil to cycle its gas operated ?
Less recoil means smaller explosion, from less gunpowder. Less powder means less gas when it's burnt.
Old 05-23-2013, 2:11 PM

If you want to do 3gun then you want to look at an m2
Old 05-23-2013, 2:26 PM

Mine takes low recoil buck no problem. It doesn't like certain lower recoil birdshot. But it gets better after you break it in.
Old 05-23-2013, 2:56 PM

Quote:
I was talking about my M2. It's inertia driven so recoil is very important to cycle properly.
Old 05-23-2013, 2:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Looks great, and it better. It's super pricey, for a shotgun.

Congrats on the purchase.
Old 05-23-2013, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billofrights View Post
Less recoil means smaller explosion, from less gunpowder. Less powder means less gas when it's burnt.
ohh

I bought some 00 buck ( didn't realize it was low recoil ) to break it in you think im going to have any problems ?

Last edited by 70 blazer; 05-23-2013 at 8:44 PM..
Old 05-23-2013, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
I haven't had any cycling issues with any crappy Mal-Wart low base birdshot through it.

I took a 2 day tactical shotgun course once and the guys with the M4s had no problems, and the guys running the 870s had constant problems, Express and Police models. I don't know if they were short shucking, having stuck shells or both. It was the worlds best advertisement for the M4.

I own an 870P and an M4.
looks like I wont ^^^^ cant wait to break in my m4 no where to shoot it here at the beach in L.A.
Old 05-24-2013, 9:11 AM

Quote:
ohh

I bought some 00 buck ( didn't realize it was low recoil ) to break it in you think im going to have any problems ?
The manual should specify minimum load specs for overall shot weight & powder charge. The interia-drive system on my Stoeger needs a minimum of 1oz & 3drams to maintain proper cycling. Check your specs against the low recoil buck.

First time shoot last weekend at Triple B Clays with Federal Field & Range 1oz of #8 / 3.25drams cycled the Stoeger nicely. There was one stovepipe in 50 which I didn't think unusual for a brand new gun.

Last edited by Dinosaur Jr; 05-24-2013 at 9:17 AM..
Old 05-24-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKS-762 View Post
The manual should specify minimum load specs for overall shot weight & powder charge. The interia-drive system on my Stoeger needs a minimum of 1oz & 3drams to maintain proper cycling. Check your specs against the low recoil buck.

First time shoot last weekend at Triple B Clays with Federal Field & Range 1oz of #8 / 3.25drams cycled the Stoeger nicely. There was one stovepipe in 50 which I didn't think unusual for a brand new gun.

I looked through the 2 books it came with nothing on proper loads
Old 05-24-2013, 12:58 PM

I have shot Fiocchi low recoil 00 (1150fps on the box) and have also run Winchester Ranger Low recoil slug and my Benelli M4 does not like it one bit. It will short cycle almost every other round. Although I am not familiar with how dram and shot weight pertain to overall loads, I have found anything pushing bird, buck, slug out over 1250 fps as said on the box seems to shoot fine out my Benelli.
Old 05-24-2013, 3:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
looks like I wont ^^^^ cant wait to break in my m4 no where to shoot it here at the beach in L.A.
Shoot some skeet up at oaktree In newhal, bout an hour away but really fun and good facilities. Great staff too
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpaisa1 View Post
I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria526 View Post
I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself
Old 05-24-2013, 4:18 PM

I remember a while back a friend of mine was excited to try out his brand new M4 for the first time and while test firing it, he had a bunch of FTE's with bulk bird shot. Not sure why it was getting FTE's but I know he was pretty disappointed at the time. That reminds me to ask him what he did to resolve the problem.

YMMV
Old 05-24-2013, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcat707 View Post
I remember a while back a friend of mine was excited to try out his brand new M4 for the first time and while test firing it, he had a bunch of FTE's with bulk bird shot. Not sure why it was getting FTE's but I know he was pretty disappointed at the time. That reminds me to ask him what he did to resolve the problem.

YMMV
I've used those same rounds in one of my M4's and I've never had a problem.
Old 05-25-2013, 8:16 AM

Quote:
I looked through the 2 books it came with nothing on proper loads
Damn. Sorry to hear that. Maybe if you contacted customer service?
Old 05-26-2013, 1:14 AM
Calguns Addict

I've had mine for a couple years now and I still get a stoopid grin on my face every time I shoot it. It's a blast (pun intended). And very reliable. Here are some things you need to know. I have an 870 Police Magnum too btw.

The Benelli forum is probably the best source for info on all things Benelli

Will it cycle target loads, reduced recoil, etc? Maybe. They seem to have unique personalities. Mine has fed everything I've tried right from the start from WallyWorld bulk bird shot to reduced recoil to full power. I haven't found anything it won't feed so far. Many have reported similar experiences while others report some issues with certain brands of the lighter loads.

With respect to lighter loads, the M4 can benefit from several hundred rounds of full power loads for break in. Sufficient lubrication helps too.

They are not cheap to buy or to mod. And you will want to modify it. If you're like most folks, you'll want to dump the five round magazine for a larger one. And a nice titanium tube from Carrier Comp will set you back some coin. And then you'll need to follow this up with a new follower (cheap) and then something else on the "approved" list to address the 922R compliance issue and keep it legal.

What's 922R? Check the Benelli board or Carrier Comp's site for info on this. Or search here as I'm pretty sure it's been covered.

The top rail is not to spec. It's probably the only crappy thing about the gun and hard to believe it's not to spec for a military gun. But if you want to actually use it to mount anything, and especially if it's a pricy optic, you will want to replace it. About $50 for a Carrier Comp rail

Yea, it will hold up like your 870. Maybe even better.

There are no other barrel options for it. Well there's a 14 in barrel but that's it. So if you were wanting a 26 or 28 for birds or something, this is not the gun for you. Get the M2 instead. Seems weird to me and that Benelli could make a killing if they came out with a couple other barrels for it.

It's hella accurate with slugs. At least mine is.

There are a lot of accessories for it. Probably not as much as the 870 but there's a good amount. The nice stuff is pricey.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Old 05-26-2013, 3:37 PM

Carrier Comp is a few months behind on their orders so they are not taking any new orders for another few months. I was told Titanium mag tubes from Freedom Fighter is back ordered for a few while also. Steel tubes are in stock. I'm waiting for Carrier Comp to come back online since most of what I read, they are good items. For those who are below 6 feet tall, you might want to consider the Mesa Tactical Urbino stock which is a bit shorter than the factory one. It also has the option of a limbsaver and cheek riser. There are some larger charging handles out there to make it easier to use.
Old 05-26-2013, 4:02 PM

The Mesa Tactical Urbino stock has a nice short LOP at 12 inches but the pistol grip is a little wierd. Its rounded on the front but the back is squared off, making it a little awkward. I hear you can remove the rubber grips off the factory stock and glue it onto the Mesa Tactical Urbino grip.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavericksun View Post
Carrier Comp is a few months behind on their orders so they are not taking any new orders for another few months. I was told Titanium mag tubes from Freedom Fighter is back ordered for a few while also. Steel tubes are in stock. I'm waiting for Carrier Comp to come back online since most of what I read, they are good items. For those who are below 6 feet tall, you might want to consider the Mesa Tactical Urbino stock which is a bit shorter than the factory one. It also has the option of a limbsaver and cheek riser. There are some larger charging handles out there to make it easier to use.
Carrier Comp stuff is outstanding. You generally have to wait for it though and their response time for emails and stuff can be lengthy. It's a very small operation. Their stuff is excellent and they are honorable. Just not always quick.

I would wait however long it took for Carrier Comp and especially if Freedom Fighter was my only other option. If FF was my only option, I'd probably go without. That's just my opinion for whatever it's worth. Some folks like their stuff.
Old 05-27-2013, 4:02 AM

+1 on the carrier comp tubes been waiting on mine for 4 months now maybe get it in another month (no rails to order till the tubes are caught up on )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria526 View Post
Shoot some skeet up at oaktree In newhal, bout an hour away but really fun and good facilities. Great staff too
kool im going to look into them seems close enough never shot skeet but willing to make a fool out myself for fun.

Last edited by 70 blazer; 05-27-2013 at 4:06 AM..
Old 05-27-2013, 12:35 PM

I just installed an FFT TI tube. Excellent construction, clean and close in color to the original. They came into stock around the 13th and I just put my order in for one on that Sunday the day before they came it. Got it the next Monday. You can call since he picks up or will respond if you leave a message and will tell you his inventory in real time.
20min and 350 degrees later, the tube went in fine, perfectly straight and I did not even burn myself. Feeds 7+1+1 rounds no problem.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

I have put about 3k rounds through mine without a problem. I have fired cheap target loads, reduced recoil rounds, and full power buck and slugs without a single FTF or FTE. I think that if you have a solid shooting stance, you will be fine, but if you get rocked back, you might have issues with the target loads.

It is definately heavy, and that can be a factor in a 5 day class. I though my arms were going to fall off from all of the low ready to fire positions.

It is a great gun that is fast and accurate. At Gunsite, I was able to knock down 5 steel targets at 20 yards in 1.89 seconds (starting at low ready). Pretty hard to do with a pump gun.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 05-27-2013, 1:01 PM

When you get it, break it down, clean it and lube it. That right there will help eliminate many problems from the start.
Old 05-27-2013, 2:29 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

It's big money, somewhat difficult to procure, likely has little advantage over it's Mossberg and Remington competition. A unique toy for the rich.

PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

When pimping begins, friendship ends.

Don't let your history be a mystery
Old 05-27-2013, 3:17 PM
Calguns Addict

mine feeds everything. cheap walmart blue box federal and the WIn value pack stuff - al just fine.
Old 05-27-2013, 6:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
It's big money, somewhat difficult to procure, likely has little advantage over it's Mossberg and Remington competition. A unique toy for the rich.
I would respectfully disagree with this. It is very much superior based on what I have seen in several multi-day courses. At no time has a pump gun beat the M-4 for speed in shooting or loading times. This is of course only my observation.

It is expensive, but if you can afford it, you should get it.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Interesting comments. It's not a cheap gun but it's a far cry from a "unique toy for the rich." That's just silly. A Ferrari is a unique toy for the rich. A $1600 shotgun is simply a bit expensive. But it is without a doubt one of the best semi auto combat type shotguns out there. Things in that category usually cost a little $$

It's also got the same advantages or disadvantages as any Semi Auto has over a pump. Maybe even a couple more advantages given it's level of quality over a lot of other semi autos.

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Ferris Bueller
Old 06-01-2013, 5:21 PM

Dropped by the range the other day with 50 rounds of slugs to break it in. No pain in my shoulders from the slugs. Even with ghost loading, the 7 rounds go very fast. A lot of carbon deposit in the pistons. Well worth the money.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:07 AM

In my opinion the m4s the best shotgun you can buy right now. The only drawback is the heavier weight, lack of accessories compared to the Remington and Mossbergs and 922r when changing the mag tube.
Old 06-02-2013, 2:37 PM

I had a M4 for about 6 months a bit ago. i absolutely LOVED it. once properly broken in ( they tell you to brake it in hard) it fed pretty much everything i threw at it. I ended up trading mine for a motorcycle, and while i havent regretted getting the bike, i do dearly miss my M4. it was a badass shotgun. i WILL buy another one to replace it haha.

and i found it very easy to field strip? you dont even need any tools to do so. WONDERFUL shotgun. and i will spend $1800 on another one when i have the spare cash.
Old 06-02-2013, 2:46 PM
Calguns Addict

I think it's the best tactical type SG you can buy. My only issue with the M4, and all Benelli's, is the standard lop is a bit too long for me. I will eventually get a mesa stock for it, or maybe the factory collapsable when we move outta here.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
my friends are like you 1800 for a shot gun psss f- that you can get 3 shotguns for that . then they held it and looked at it and then the say dam what a fine piece of equipment I wish I had one. lol
then I said wait till we shoot it.
rich lol im a poor boy just cant buy 5 shot guns so bought the best shot gun quality over quantity . this shotgun should last my life time and handed down generations to come.
not like buying a car that depreciates as you drive off the lot you can always get what you paid for it or more .

Last edited by 70 blazer; 06-04-2013 at 5:39 PM..