Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up Riverside

Read the last few pages of this thread to get an idea of where Riverside stands currently.

UPDATE (2015 March 14): Riverside has liberalized issuance, but still requires more than merely "self-defense" as a Good Cause statement. You have to flesh it out more, explaining why you need a CCW for self-defense. Best to read the posts from fall 2014 on to get an idea of what it takes, how to meet the standard. More details can be found in this other thread too:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=950315

UPDATE (2015 July 03):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post
One of the biggest issues currently facing Riverside residents when it comes to getting their LTC permit is the timeframe it's taking from the first call to getting an interview, and then from the interview to getting your permit.

Straight from the CCW unit, the biggest complaint is that people are applying with incomplete paperwork and required forms. Then, when they do send in stuff that they are missing they do it 1 piece at a time.

So here are the suggestions: Fill out everything completely before your interview, and take in everything that is required. Failing to provide paperwork that is required is a waste of time for everyone and will ultimately slow down your process and make it longer for everyone else.

If you are missing documents that are needed to complete your file, collect everything that is missing and send it all in at the same time. That way the deputies can pull your file 1x and enter everything that's missing. Having to pull a single file 5-6 times to enter one document is a waste.
UPDATE (2015 July 28):
Be sure to review the Good Cause statement discussion on p. 29 and following.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...352777&page=29

UPDATE (2016 Sept 06): The quote below is from: The Press Enterprise, "Why Stan Sniff, John McMahon and other sheriffs oppose gun control" (2016 Sept 03) (emphasis added): http://www.pe.com/articles/gun-81248...f-control.html

Quote:
Sniff said that while he supports and encourages law-abiding residents to obtain concealed carry permits, “radical gun groups” believe he’s not issuing enough.

“The public still expects the sheriff to issue CCWs using good sense as well as reasonableness in making determinations of who is licensed and allowed by the department to carry loaded, hidden handguns into our public places,” said Sniff, who is a member of the National Rifle Association, the California Rifle & Pistol Association and Gun Owners of California.

Last edited by Quiet; 09-07-2016 at 3:35 PM..
Old 10-18-2010, 7:33 PM
Veteran Member

It looks like there might be a couple of issues with Riverside's application.

They are asking for a lot of suplemental information in addition to the standard application. (34 additional questions) For example: "Is there anything in your background that you are trying to conceal?" or "Are there other crimes you have committed, for which you have not been caught?"

They also require 3 reference letters.
Old 10-18-2010, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindynles View Post
It looks like there might be a couple of issues with Riverside's application.

They are asking for a lot of suplemental information in addition to the standard application. (34 additional questions) For example: "Is there anything in your background that you are trying to conceal?" or "Are there other crimes you have committed, for which you have not been caught?"

They also require 3 reference letters.
Is there anything illegal about that? I thought the Sheriff could require anything he needed to ensure that you live in their jurisdication, are of good moral character, and have GC.

I like the new portal. It is good to have someone keeping everyone honest regarding the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher Space Chimp View Post
Where can I get a pair..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPER395 View Post
I like it colored
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidBilly View Post
I became mesmerized by a thick black shaft.
Old 10-19-2010, 6:56 AM
Veteran Member

My understanding is that each department is supposed to only use the standard California DOJ application.
Old 11-02-2010, 8:39 PM

anyone have a ccw in riverside? any thoughts on riverside sheriff's stance on ccw?

can't seem to find much info on calccw's site =[

Old 11-03-2010, 12:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ale014 View Post
anyone have a ccw in riverside? any thoughts on riverside sheriff's stance on ccw?

can't seem to find much info on calccw's site =[
Riverside is one of the friendlier counties.

Quote:
My understanding is that each department is supposed to only use the standard California DOJ application.
That is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboS600 View Post
Is there anything illegal about that? I thought the Sheriff could require anything he needed to ensure that you live in their jurisdication, are of good moral character, and have GC.

I like the new portal. It is good to have someone keeping everyone honest regarding the process.
Yes, all of it is illegal. Further, it asks questions specifically barred under state law and requires of the applicant the completion of additional forms.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 11-03-2010, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Riverside is one of the friendlier counties.

That is correct.

Yes, all of it is illegal. Further, it asks questions specifically barred under state law and requires of the applicant the completion of additional forms.
Just catching up on this. Has a letter of complaint been sent to the Sheriff?

Last edited by bluebaron; 11-03-2010 at 3:21 AM..
Old 11-03-2010, 7:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebaron View Post
Just catching up on this. Has a letter of complaint been sent to the Sheriff?
I was wondering this as well. Any updates would be appreciated.
Old 11-03-2010, 8:01 AM
Veteran Member

If it would be helpful for somebody to push the issue by applying to RCSO with "personal protection" as their good cause, refusing to submit the illegal reference letters and so forth, I'm willing to to that (work schedule permitting... grr). Even if it means certain denial when I could have gotten my permit by simply jumping through their hoops. I want my CCW, but securing the right for everybody else takes higher priority.
Old 11-03-2010, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383green View Post
If it would be helpful for somebody to push the issue by applying to RCSO with "personal protection" as their good cause, refusing to submit the illegal reference letters and so forth, I'm willing to to that (work schedule permitting... grr). Even if it means certain denial when I could have gotten my permit by simply jumping through their hoops. I want my CCW, but securing the right for everybody else takes higher priority.
Think we'll have to wait on the experts to answer that one. Although, I personally would like someone to try that. I consider myself to be of good character but don't want to ask friends to vouch for me. Especially as most are quite anti gun ;-)
Old 11-03-2010, 8:46 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Think we'll have to wait on the experts to answer that one. Although, I personally would like someone to try that. I consider myself to be of good character but don't want to ask friends to vouch for me. Especially as most are quite anti gun ;-)
Which makes me want to ask, what are the "experts" waiting for?
Old 11-03-2010, 8:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I agree on waiting for the experts to answer it, and I assume that there are far worse counties that will need their attention first. I'm just putting it out there that if they expect to need somebody to do this in Riverside, I'm willing to hold off "applying to win" in order to help out.
Old 11-03-2010, 8:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk1 View Post
Which makes me want to ask, what are the "experts" waiting for?
There are far worse offenders among the 58 sheriff's offices, and we also have pending litigation. Have patience... they have a good track record in the strategy and timing departments, and a lot of their decisions are based on information that isn't public knowledge.
Old 11-03-2010, 8:51 AM
In Memoriam

I think my patience in this state has about run out. Especially after yesterdays vote.
Old 11-04-2010, 6:55 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I have my DOJ application filled out and:
-3 reference letters
-DD214
-Copy of birth certificate
-Coyp of DL
-Proof of residence
-2 passport photos
-$20 money order

I am going to call in the morning to set up my appt to submit my application.

I'm not turning in the "Additional Background Questions" though since it says "I fully understand that this information will be treated as confidential and, though not required, providing accurate information will assist in a timely completion of the CCW application process."

I'll post updates as I go through the process.

Last edited by cindynles; 11-04-2010 at 7:00 PM..
Old 11-05-2010, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Well, I have my DOJ application filled out and:
-3 reference letters
-DD214
-Copy of birth certificate
-Coyp of DL
-Proof of residence
-2 passport photos
-$20 money order

I am going to call in the morning to set up my appt to submit my application.

I'm not turning in the "Additional Background Questions" though since it says "I fully understand that this information will be treated as confidential and, though not required, providing accurate information will assist in a timely completion of the CCW application process."

I'll post updates as I go through the process.
You are correct in not turning in the extra paperwork. I have been assured by the CCW unit that you do not need to turn it in. It used to be mandatory before Gray Peterson contacted them. Let us know if they say anything to the contrary.

NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Law Enforcement Instructor
http://www.murrietatactical.com
Old 11-05-2010, 3:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Do we know if they still demand the reference letters? If Gray has been in contact they may not even ask for them if you don't turn them in with your app.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 11-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

I called yesterday to make my appt to turn in my application. I got voice mail and left a message.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

I've got my appointment set up. They asked me to bring 2 money orders though, the $20 for the County and the $95 for the State.
Old 11-10-2010, 4:10 PM

cindynles how long did it take for you to get an appointment? I called the CCW task force and the Deputy that I spoke to what actually pretty helpful. Pretty much said that if all your ducks are in a row when you get your paperwork in and have the two cashiers checks it's a pretty smooth process. Takes somewhere around 2 months if you hound him about it. Spoke with a guy at a local gun shop and he just got his (showed it to me so I know he's legit) and it took him about 4 months. That's due to one of the weapons he put on his application held something up. But they pushed it through and he said the same thing about the deputy that was helping him. Mostly a good guy. I'm getting my process started and I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by 00BuckShot; 11-10-2010 at 4:33 PM..
Old 11-10-2010, 4:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00BuckShot View Post
cindynles how long did it take for you to get an aoopintment? I called the CCW task force and the Deputy that I spoke to what actually pretty helpful. Pretty much said that if all your ducks are in a row when you get your paperwork in and have the two cashiers checks it's a pretty smooth process. Takes somewhere around 2 months if you hound him about it. Spoke with a guy at a local gun shop and he just got his (showed it to me so I know he's legit) and it took him about 4 months. That's due to one of the weapons he put on his application held something up. But they pushed it through and he said the same thing about the deputy that was helping him. Mostly a good guy. I'm getting my process started and I'll let you know how it goes.
So... you ever gonna tell us how that story with the dude at your front door ends?

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 11-11-2010, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safewaysecurity View Post
So... you ever gonna tell us how that story with the dude at your front door ends?
Dude....I totally forgot that I left you guys hanging. I'll have to go back and update that.
Old 11-11-2010, 9:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00BuckShot View Post
cindynles how long did it take for you to get an appointment?
I called and left a message on a Friday and they called me back the following Monday afternoon.
Old 11-17-2010, 1:52 PM

Would it help, for the background check if you recently and currently have a security clearance from DoD?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Banned

Does Riverside SO have any problem issuing to active military like Kings Co does?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:27 PM

No, any other background checks neither help nor hurt. They will run a new one on everyone.

I know of at least one active duty Marine who got his CCW in Riverside Co., so they do issue to military.

NRA Certified Instructor
Old 11-28-2010, 8:02 AM

From what I understand in this thread that Riverside CCW unit does not require supplemental questionnaires filled in and turned in. What about the 3 personal reference letters?
Old 11-28-2010, 2:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargearse View Post
From what I understand in this thread that Riverside CCW unit does not require supplemental questionnaires filled in and turned in. What about the 3 personal reference letters?
When I submitted my application recently, I was asked if I completed the supplemental questionnaire but I was not required to turn it in. They are still requiring the 3 reference letters.
Old 11-28-2010, 6:38 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383green View Post
I want my CCW, but securing the right for everybody else takes higher priority.
+1

Great perspective to have.

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.
Old 12-13-2010, 1:37 PM
Veteran Member

My application has been accepted ($20 + $95), I completed the Livescan ($10), I qualified with the hand guns I want on my permit ($20 worth of ammo), and I completed the 4 hour classroom training ($100).

So now I am just waiting for an approval or denial letter. So far I am $245 invested into the process. If I am approved I owe another $80 bringing the total for a Riverside County CCW to $325 for 2 years.
Old 12-13-2010, 1:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My application has been accepted ($20 + $95), I completed the Livescan ($10), I qualified with the hand guns I want on my permit ($20 worth of ammo), and I completed the 4 hour classroom training ($100).

So now I am just waiting for an approval or denial letter. So far I am $245 invested into the process. If I am approved I owe another $80 bringing the total for a Riverside County CCW to $325 for 2 years.
Good luck Please keep us updated

Super Robot VOLTES V
Old 12-13-2010, 2:43 PM

Good luck! I would hope that they would let you know before the $200+ mark if there were any show-stoppers.

Can you describe the weapons qualification process?
Old 12-14-2010, 7:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surflvr911sc View Post
Can you describe the weapons qualification process?
You go to the range at the Ben Clark Training center. The range master inspects your guns and fills out a form with the serial numbers of the guns you are going to qualify with.

You have to fire a full mag (10 rounds in you have pre-ban mags) from 15 yards at two standard silhouette (NRA B-27) targets. You start from the low ready. 2 shots to the chest on one target, then 2 shots to the chest to the second. Repeat until you gun is empty.

You then move up to 10 yards and repeat the same process.

Last you move up to 7 yards. From this starting point the process is 2 shots to the chest and 1 to the head on the first target, then 2 shots to the chest 1 to the head on the second target. Repeat until your gun is empty.

You have to qualify with each gun that you want on your permit. Make sure you bring enough ammo. There are no restrictions on type of ammo you can shoot.

You need 70% hits on the target to pass. They also make you wear body armor (which they provide).

Last edited by cindynles; 12-14-2010 at 7:11 AM..
Old 12-16-2010, 5:02 PM

Cool, thank you!
Old 12-20-2010, 11:34 PM

You got your CCW yet?
Old 12-21-2010, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

I'll know one way or another in 6-8 weeks............
Old 12-28-2010, 7:56 PM

I am also getting ready to apply for mine with the rso, after talking with the deputy who was very helpful with my problem of my city I live in. The only question if any one can answer is if they can request copies of cash deposits for self employed and not just a copy of the business license? If any thoughts please help
Old 12-28-2010, 8:02 PM

They would actualy like to see a letter from your bank saying that you deposit large amounts of cash but some banks like Bank of America refuse to do this. So they will settle for the transaction receipt for cash deposits.

NRA Certified Instructor
Old 12-29-2010, 3:50 PM

Thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 6:15 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I am thinking about applying in Riverside County, City of Beaumont. I own a company that transports a lot of personal information (ssn's, medical records, other private info) into bad neighborhoods. If stolen these items could be used for identity theft. Is this, in anyones experience a good enough good cause? I know I have to apply to the city first.