Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-27-2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post

Yes, since 08-07-1924.
A CA gun dealer had to submit a Dealer Record Of Sale (DROS) to CA DOJ, which registered the handgun to the person acquiring the handgun.

However, private party transfers were not required to be done through a CA FFL dealer until 01-01-1991.

Same rules applies to both long guns and handguns.

If the firearm is 50 or more years old, then it's a C&R.

If the firearm was made before 01-01-1898, then it's an antique.

The main difference between a C&R firearm and an antique firearm is...
Under Federal laws; a FFL is required to legally acquire a C&R firearm across State lines, wereas an antique firearm does not require a FFL.
Under CA laws; for a non-exempt person, a C&R firearm needs to be transferred through a CA FFL dealer and an antique firearm is exempt from needing to be transferred through a CA FFL dealer.
So for a C&R pistol to be sold out of state it has to be taken to an FFL and sent to the FFL in the state it is being received?
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria)"
Old 05-27-2019, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruEdge View Post
So for a C&R pistol to be sold out of state it has to be taken to an FFL and sent to the FFL in the state it is being received?
For C&R pistols, both federal and state laws must be followed. A person with a FFL03 can purchase C&R eligible firearms in interstate commerce. It is a federal license that allows a person to purchase C&R eligible firearms across state lines. The person must also follow the laws of their state of residence.

CA requires all C&R firearms purchased by a FFL03 and being sent into CA to first be sent to a FFL01 to be DROSed. Then the FFL03 can pick up the C&R firearm with no waiting period.

OTOH, I, as a FFL03 holder, can go out of state, purchase a C&R firearm, and bring it back to CA and then I have 5 days to register it with the state. I can do it online or send in the paper copy and give them $19. Since I live close to NV, I usually have my C&R guns sent to a NV FFL and pick them up there because the FFL fees are much cheaper than the CA FFL fees. I use a NV FFL that does this for many CA FFL03 holders.

A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

--Librarian
Old 05-27-2019, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah12 View Post
For C&R pistols, both federal and state laws must be followed. A person with a FFL03 can purchase C&R eligible firearms in interstate commerce. It is a federal license that allows a person to purchase C&R eligible firearms across state lines. The person must also follow the laws of their state of residence.

CA requires all C&R firearms purchased by a FFL03 and being sent into CA to first be sent to a FFL01 to be DROSed. Then the FFL03 can pick up the C&R firearm with no waiting period.

OTOH, I, as a FFL03 holder, can go out of state, purchase a C&R firearm, and bring it back to CA and then I have 5 days to register it with the state. I can do it online or send in the paper copy and give them $19. Since I live close to NV, I usually have my C&R guns sent to a NV FFL and pick them up there because the FFL fees are much cheaper than the CA FFL fees. I use a NV FFL that does this for many CA FFL03 holders.
Sorry for my confusion but if I am here in California and I want to sell a C&R rifle or pistol to someone in Texas what exactly Is the process then?
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria)"
Old 05-27-2019, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but isn’t DROS a form of handgun registration?
Not really. It is a database that records sales, but it is not registration per se. There is no requirement for any firearm to be “registered” except for “assault” weapons. Prior to 1992, firearms could be transferred via private party without using an FFL.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 05-27-2019, 9:04 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruEdge View Post
Sorry for my confusion but if I am here in California and I want to sell a C&R rifle or pistol to someone in Texas what exactly Is the process then?
If the TX resident has a valid C&R 03-FFL, then you ship the C&R firearm along with a copy of your valid CA DL/ID, to the address listed on their C&R FFL.

If the TX resident does not have a FFL, then the TX resident needs to contact his TX FFL dealer and inquiry on how they want a firearm delivered to them.
~If the TX FFL dealer is willing to accept firearm shipments from a non-FFL, then you ship the firearm with a copy of your valid CA DL/ID to the TX FFL dealer.
~If the TX FFL dealer only accepts firearms shipments from FFLs, then you utilize a CA FFL dealer to ship the firearm to the TX FFL dealer.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 05-29-2019, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Not really. It is a database that records sales, but it is not registration per se. There is no requirement for any firearm to be “registered” except for “assault” weapons. Prior to 1992, firearms could be transferred via private party without using an FFL.
While the DROS system doesn’t “register” the firearm, PEN 11160(b)(1), establishes the “registry”, and 11160(b)(2)(A) incorporates the DROS information into the registry.

This true of a number of systems, including an IA’s report of issuance of a LTC.