Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 08-25-2018, 7:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
I thought your place was 20ac.

Much more than that

A little spot I check that my uncle owns is 20 acres. You may have heard me reference that a while back. I hit it for an occasional evening hunt. I can sit there and glass for an hour or so and changes things up a bit. About two miles from my place.

Last edited by taperxz; 08-25-2018 at 7:44 AM..
Old 08-25-2018, 7:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeater View Post
Ranch I hunt in lake county burnt in the rocky fire. I shot geese there in the winter turkeys in the spring and a nice buck the following deer season. Ranch has more game on it now than it ever did.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yep. More game? I think they were there to begin with but who could see them in 6ft brush?

The Pawnee Fire allowed me to see landscape I never knew existed on my place. Even a small spring

Last edited by taperxz; 08-25-2018 at 7:49 AM..
Old 08-25-2018, 9:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
BLM is prolly the WORST land for game. In general, BLM stewards land that nobody wanted.

You aren't likely to hunt on 40 acres, but it might provide you access others don't have to public land.

Stick to a zone you can get ready tags if you hope to hunt it annually for deer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
The bull in my Avatar was shot on BLM or BLM that was leased for grazing by a rancher. I've shot all of my elk on public land 4 6X6 bulls 1 4X5 and one cow, most of my antelope on public land and I would venture to guess at least 120 or so other head of big game on public land. Most Mulies, bear a couple of whitetail and a hog or two all on public land. Most of the whitetails I have shot were on private. With out a doubt the biggest elk I have ever seen were all on public ground, I'm talking bulls well over 400. I missed a 380-390 bull on BLM just a few years ago, a nightmare of a bull. I love it when people blow off public ground for hunting, more for me. I spent the day up in Montana and while driving in to do a little shooting I stopped and watched 2 big WT bucks climbing up through the rocks and sagebrush to bed , on BLM. They would be good eating to they feed in the creek bottom in the green and lay up in the tall stuff on public. Don't sell it short and don't give up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyCat View Post
please, Don't compare it to California. It is different here
Ya...the BLM land I know in CA is pretty desolate stuff. Lots better public land available in CA than BLM for game.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 08-25-2018, 9:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
Nice, baseless ad hominem attacks. Very effective. Maybe you could comment on the OP's thread just for fun, since you're hear here and all.
I did already.

FIFY

Quote:
BLM is prolly the WORST land for game. In general, BLM stewards land that nobody wanted.

You aren't likely to hunt on 40 acres, but it might provide you access others don't have to public land.

Stick to a zone you can get ready tags if you hope to hunt it annually for deer.

Meanwhile you've only told him he can't afford it.

You don't hunt and aren't "a fan" of it.

Why are you here again?

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter

Last edited by JagerDog; 08-25-2018 at 1:26 PM..
Old 08-25-2018, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
Ya...the BLM land I know in CA is pretty desolate stuff. Lots better public land available in CA than BLM for game.
National forests? Anything in the central coast area, around Santa Barbara-ish?
Old 08-26-2018, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Much more than that

A little spot I check that my uncle owns is 20 acres. You may have heard me reference that a while back. I hit it for an occasional evening hunt. I can sit there and glass for an hour or so and changes things up a bit. About two miles from my place.
Ahh ya that's probably what I was thinking of. 160 is a good chunk, definitely big enough to manage game populations.
There are too many in this forum that do nothing. Don't vote, don't belong to the NRA, don't donate time and or money, etc etc so the anti-gun bills will just keep coming and coming. You are right. Us doing nothing at all won't help.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:20 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Nobody here on Sunday? Lol

Old 08-26-2018, 5:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Nobody here on Sunday? Lol

Nope. Hope you enjoyed Fosters Freeze
Old 08-26-2018, 6:24 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Fosters freeze?? Screw that I work construction i want to eat my peoples food I went to the Mexican market behind you lol. Place was busy for a sunday! But went to the new tractor supply place and got a pallet of protein/ molasses tubs for the cows. Wanted to see your shop so stopped by and then grabbed some food at the market.

Old 08-26-2018, 6:43 PM

I too have looked into purchasing hunting land in Nor Cal and got sucked into looking at what seemed to be great values adjacent to public land. They either lacked any nearby water sources and/or were very thick with manzanitas or alike as was the public land next to these properties which made the property pretty much worthless to me. I agree with the folks who suggest leasing land. That is the way I went but I still keep an eye out for some bargain 160 acres with water and great public land access. It’s nice to dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2018, 7:26 PM

If you buy a small piece of property, you definitely need a good water source. You should also plan on developing a good food source(s) that is better than the surrounding properties.
Old 08-26-2018, 8:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Fosters freeze?? Screw that I work construction i want to eat my peoples food I went to the Mexican market behind you lol. Place was busy for a sunday! But went to the new tractor supply place and got a pallet of protein/ molasses tubs for the cows. Wanted to see your shop so stopped by and then grabbed some food at the market.

I go to that market about one a week 😀

Their short ribs are pretty dang good BTW
Old 08-26-2018, 8:38 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
I go to that market about one a week

Their short ribs are pretty dang good BTW
I'll try to stop by next time on a Saturday. Hope they are getting some quick containment on the latest fire.

Old 08-26-2018, 8:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'll try to stop by next time on a Saturday. Hope they are getting some quick containment on the latest fire.

I’m watching it. It’s right across from us but there is a lot that’s akready burned between the fire and our place. It’s also in the Rocky burn so the fuel is there but not thick. From the pics it’s east of the Red Bud trail head and south.

It may screw up hunting for people who hunt that public area since the FD will be there for a while. We still have Cal Fire presence in our valley.
Old 08-26-2018, 9:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishfisher View Post
If you buy a small piece of property, you definitely need a good water source. You should also plan on developing a good food source(s) that is better than the surrounding properties.
I know a 5 acre parcel that is between the water source , and beding area, it is a bottle neck that is always productive. The deer can be force to stay nocturnal when pressed too much. A creek or stream bed or planted field, ect can act as a funnel, you don't need a 1\4 section to have a productive hunting ranch.
Old 09-23-2018, 1:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We have a tentative agreement to lease 1800 acres east of El Paso. Has ducks, quail, hogs and dove. Some deep but we will see if we will allow deer hunting. Be nice if we could shoot the mexican cattle that are on the ranch. We have one big aggessive bull that attacked the farm truck. I think he is going ro have a fatal accident.. Cannot have him attacking our hunters. Be a lot of hamburger