Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 11-13-2018, 8:38 AM
anonymouscuban's Avatar
anonymouscuban anonymouscuban is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 453
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower View Post
Sounds like a bit of jealousy on the part of the OP (and a few others to boot). I worked part time in a gun store before I moved out of Commiefornia. Trust me, I really didn't make all that much. What I did get out of it was a shot at all the used guns that came through on consignment, and, as I am totally uninterested in new guns, that deal was fine with me.

Oh and to the poster that said that the lack of expensive cars in the parking lot was indicative of the salaries of the employees, I for one, don't waste my money on new vehicles. In fact the very last new car I bought was in 1991 and two years later my soon-to-be ex wife left with that. Mostly what I drive is old junk that gets me around for a few years until I get rid of it and buy another POS car.

The reality of that job is that nearly my entire wages went into gun purchases. When I left the PRC I went with over sixty firearms, probably a good third of them were gleaned from consignment sales.
I have considered getting a part time gig at a camera shop. Maybe just one or two days a week. Just because I love photography and the discount would be nice. But there aren't any close by and when I come close to doing it, I realize I enjoy my free time too much.

I have more recently considered doing the same in an LGS but again, my time.

That said, I think the majority of employees at LGS are fulltime or part time students. But what other folks do with their money is of no concern to me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-13-2018, 8:56 AM
digelectric digelectric is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 468
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Maybe his parents were rich, but were recently mauled, then eaten, by a pride of lions recently escaped from a wild animal park, so he inherited millions.

In that scenario I’d work at a gun store, a guitar store, and a power tool store, and get all the stuff.

I’d miss my parents but I think in this situation it’s important to just move on.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-13-2018, 11:36 AM
cockedandglocked's Avatar
cockedandglocked cockedandglocked is offline
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Near Excremento
Posts: 15,099
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Default

When I was 18, I bought myself a brand spankin' new $30,000 car, on a minimum wage retail store wage. If guns were my thing at the time, imagine how many guns I could've bought with that money.

How?

I still lived with my parents and I was single. I was in college so they didn't charge me rent, and they fed me. I spent 75% of my income on my car, and the other 25% on alcohol.
__________________
2019 CA Legislation Quick-Reference & Statuses

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime:



Last edited by cockedandglocked; 11-13-2018 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-13-2018, 11:40 AM
71MUSTY's Avatar
71MUSTY 71MUSTY is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5,310
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Nope, nope and nope.

This 20-something is probably still living with mom and dad, pays nothing for rent, gets fed by mom and dad and his only bills are his cell phone (if that) and his eating out habits. Other than that, everything is gravy. $2,600/mos (min wage) is plenty. Livin' High On The Hog! (Enjoy the groove: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzioJP2g98g )
Man those were the days. Spent all my money building my rides and on chicks (bottle of 2 buck chuck).
__________________
IF WE EVER FORGET WE ARE ONE NATION UNDER GOD.
THEN WE WILL BE A NATION GONE UNDER.
Ronald Reagan


We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross


We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-13-2018, 11:45 AM
retired retired is offline
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Riverside County
Posts: 9,597
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digelectric View Post
Maybe his parents were rich, but were recently mauled, then eaten, by a pride of lions recently escaped from a wild animal park, so he inherited millions.

In that scenario I’d work at a gun store, a guitar store, and a power tool store, and get all the stuff.

I’d miss my parents but I think in this situation it’s important to just move on.
I think you should show this to your parents just to see how fast they remove you from the will.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-13-2018, 11:48 AM
bug_eyedmonster bug_eyedmonster is offline
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 3,349
iTrader: 83 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
When I was 18, I bought myself a brand spankin' new $30,000 car, on a minimum wage retail store wage. If guns were my thing at the time, imagine how many guns I could've bought with that money.

How?

I still lived with my parents and I was single. I was in college so they didn't charge me rent, and they fed me. I spent 75% of my income on my car, and the other 25% on alcohol.
Those are rookie numbers!

When I was in college, I went to school part time and worked full time to avoid student loans and pay for rent. I also worked part time at a gun store to support my hobby. The LGS I worked at had almost exclusively part time employees, with the exception of one full time manager to reduce cost as well. The staff was given ALMOST cost on employee purchases, and we got dibs on used stuff.

It was a great time for me, and met many great friends doing it. If I had no kids, and wasn't so busy at work, I'd do it again.

Jerry
__________________
The inconvenience of poor quality lingers long after the thrill of a good bargain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetguy View Post
I always thought nothing beat a BJ. :shrug:
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-13-2018, 11:54 AM
digelectric digelectric is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 468
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
I think you should show this to your parents just to see how fast they remove you from the will.


I’ll have to think about that
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-13-2018, 8:53 PM
Cokebottle's Avatar
Cokebottle Cokebottle is offline
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: IE, CA
Posts: 32,124
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradecraft View Post
Man your job must suck if you're envious of a gun salesclerk.
Stress dude.
6 figures and there are times that I envy the guy in the plumbing department at Home Depot.
He doesn't have to worry that a bad decision might result in someone's death, and he doesn't have to worry about an underling sabotaging him.
__________________
- Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 11-14-2018, 8:54 PM
bronco75a's Avatar
bronco75a bronco75a is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 458
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AN40 View Post
Was recently in a Gun store and the rep I was talking to seemed to have every firearm that I was interested in. The crazy thing is this guy was probably in his mid 20’s. I thought I was making a decent wage as an Aerospace Engineer but after all bills student loans etc there is no way I would be able to have a collection like that especially at that age. And I was making low 6 figures too!!!

Just for reference, I was only talking about high end (Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Night Hawk) 1911’s, Benellis and Beretta SIlver Pigeon OU Shotguns.

HOW MUCH CAN THESE GUYS BE MAKING?! May have to change careers to working at a gun store.

Anyone hiring for gun store retail reps??
He was referring to the weapons in the store.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 11-14-2018, 8:57 PM
adamkdoiron adamkdoiron is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Quincy, CA
Posts: 177
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Having worked at a gun store myself both big box and as a gunsmith for a small shop, i have chances to buy just about anything i want, though im pretty picky when it comes to guns, i collected a small amount of what i wanted, with went through the used and consignment shelves for pennies on the dollar
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 11-14-2018, 9:00 PM
Cokebottle's Avatar
Cokebottle Cokebottle is offline
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: IE, CA
Posts: 32,124
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkdoiron View Post
Having worked at a gun store myself both big box and as a gunsmith for a small shop, i have chances to buy just about anything i want, though im pretty picky when it comes to guns, i collected a small amount of what i wanted, with went through the used and consignment shelves for pennies on the dollar
Gun store and guitar store are two places I can never allow myself to work.
__________________
- Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:00 PM
Brush Guard Brush Guard is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 566
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Seems like most of the scenarios have been coved in this thread.

I too was one of those young guys working part time at a gun store, off and on for years. Don’t think I ever took home a pay check…

Fun times. Several occasions car ramming the store front windows at night. Worked one day without any store front windows. Dirt bags trying to chain saw through the back wall one night, while the owner was there… Owner had to dispatch a dirt bag that rammed a car through the store front window. Thugs threatening retaliation for the killing. Friends of the owner standing guard for nights…

My buddy who also worked there scored the cleanest M1 Garand I have ever seen to this day. I think he paid $600.00 and it must be worth about $2,000.00 or more these days.

Widows would come in from time to time, dumping guns for cheap. That’s how I picked up a 1948 vintage the Colt 1911. Heck, there were three to choose from that day.


Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouscuban View Post
I have considered getting a part time gig at a camera shop. Maybe just one or two days a week. Just because I love photography and the discount would be nice. But there aren't any close by and when I come close to doing it, I realize I enjoy my free time too much.

I have more recently considered doing the same in an LGS but again, my time.

That said, I think the majority of employees at LGS are fulltime or part time students. But what other folks do with their money is of no concern to me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


Camera store….? I did not know there were still any left.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:14 PM
SDPatriot SDPatriot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: National City
Posts: 442
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Default

Let's not jump to any wild conclusions. He could just be selling drugs on the side.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:18 PM
SmokeTheClay SmokeTheClay is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 248
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

so here on a gun forum, you are talking down to people that make your collection possible. not cool. this thread is trash.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:32 PM
stormvet's Avatar
stormvet stormvet is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,094
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

This thread in a nutt shell.

I make bank in a very important job, how can this unimportant poor person have better guns then me.
__________________
Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 11-14-2018, 11:01 PM
Brush Guard Brush Guard is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 566
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
I know cops and people in other professions that work part time in gun shops, they enjoy being around their hobby. And like said above, got first dibs and discounts.

This.

And as well, the shop I worked at had a usual crowd of guys that would come in almost daily just to hang out. We had active duty and retired cops, border patrol, Bart train operator, etc. Some would pick up grub from the burrito shop next store and eat in the shop, before going back to work.

Some of these guys would buy new only to sell it back to us for something else. I picked up a few guns really cheap that way. One was an S&W Airweight 422 for free.

Ha ha, one cop showed off a Glock 21 with a grip reduction. In the early 90’s it was one of the first grip reductions I saw. Dang that thing was ugly.

They were like family.

Last edited by Brush Guard; 11-14-2018 at 11:05 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 11-14-2018, 11:11 PM
Kestryll's Avatar
Kestryll Kestryll is offline
Head Janitor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Occupied Reseda, PRK
Posts: 20,880
iTrader: 22 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Gun Store Employees Making Bank
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

..cough..

..cough...

.....I’m okay now....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHA!!!!!
__________________
NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA Life Member / SAF Life Member
Calguns.net an incorported entity - President.
The Calguns Shooting Sports Assoc. - Vice President.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 11-15-2018, 12:15 AM
cockedandglocked's Avatar
cockedandglocked cockedandglocked is offline
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Near Excremento
Posts: 15,099
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

..cough..

..cough...

.....I’m okay now....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHA!!!!!
Lots of money to be made from all the legal advice they provide to the patrons

Nothing against gun store employees, I appreciate you guys, but please for the love of God please stop telling people about what your cousin heard at a poker game about CA laws.
__________________
2019 CA Legislation Quick-Reference & Statuses

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime:



Last edited by cockedandglocked; 11-15-2018 at 12:17 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 11-15-2018, 4:52 AM
Ford8N's Avatar
Ford8N Ford8N is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Northern Rhovanion
Posts: 6,116
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Guard View Post
Seems like most of the scenarios have been coved in this thread.

I too was one of those young guys working part time at a gun store, off and on for years. Don’t think I ever took home a pay check…

Fun times. Several occasions car ramming the store front windows at night. Worked one day without any store front windows. Dirt bags trying to chain saw through the back wall one night, while the owner was there… Owner had to dispatch a dirt bag that rammed a car through the store front window. Thugs threatening retaliation for the killing. Friends of the owner standing guard for nights…

My buddy who also worked there scored the cleanest M1 Garand I have ever seen to this day. I think he paid $600.00 and it must be worth about $2,000.00 or more these days.

Widows would come in from time to time, dumping guns for cheap. That’s how I picked up a 1948 vintage the Colt 1911. Heck, there were three to choose from that day.






Camera store….? I did not know there were still any left.
Where was this gun store located that criminal scum would be so brazen to attack while people are inside or make retaliatory threats??? Where are the COPS????
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 11-15-2018, 5:07 AM
Snagglepuss Snagglepuss is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 333
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Yeah, OP is getting stiffed working for six figures when he truly wants to work for guns.

Money doesn't necessarily mean guns. I'm sure there are poor youtubers that have really sweet guns because they got into business for the guns rather than the money.

Try credit since you already have the student debt needle in your arm...
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 11-15-2018, 11:03 AM
Brush Guard Brush Guard is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 566
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
Where was this gun store located that criminal scum would be so brazen to attack while people are inside or make retaliatory threats??? Where are the COPS????
White Bear Guns in Concord.

Monument Blvd. was a bad place in the 80’s and 90’s

The owner slept in the back office most nights.

Twice, cars drove through the bars and windows at night. Owner had to dispatch a thug during the first drive through. Thug leveled hand gun at owner as the owner emerged from the back office. Owner responded with a single shotgun blast to the head.

Cops would arrive after being alerted.

Friends of the dead thug made threats off and on for some time after the incident. Friends of owner stood guard at night.

Owner was sleeping in in the back office during the chain saw event. Thugs broke into a service hallway of the strip mall through the roof access. Then attempted to chainsaw though the wall into the back office. Too much stuff was on the office side of the wall. Cops arrived after thugs fled.

Yee haw…
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-15-2018, 11:34 AM
PyroFox79 PyroFox79 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,562
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AN40 View Post
How much of a discount can they really be getting. Firearms are not high margin goods.
Turners offered guns at cost plus 5%. Which would generally be a hood deal depending on the gun. Glock cost would be like 325ish but HK would be like 700ish. I dont remember the exact numbers but this was also like 5 years ago.
__________________
USMC '05-'09 - 2111 - Keeper Of The Cold Steel

To be American is to disobey.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-15-2018, 12:02 PM
golfish's Avatar
golfish golfish is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Alta Loma
Posts: 4,854
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Yup... my wife knows that if something happens to me, she will go to Turner's and ask "How much would one of these cost me gently used?"
Then go back out to the car, bring it in, and ask for THAT price on consignment.
I learned something about Turners. If you go into pickup a gun, hide your paperwork and produce it after the counter person calls you. Some of them don't like to do pickups, I guess because they make a little on sales?
__________________
It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do

____________________________________

Happiness is a warm gun
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11-15-2018, 12:51 PM
Calif Hunter's Avatar
Calif Hunter Calif Hunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Apple Valley, CA, USA
Posts: 1,228
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

My brother worked at a gun shop as a gunsmith that was a Beretta dealer/shop. He was able to buy anything in a Beretta brand for distributor cost a few times. I ended up with a couple of Tikkas at very low cost.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-15-2018, 7:15 PM
L84CABO's Avatar
L84CABO L84CABO is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orcas Island, WA and San Diego
Posts: 5,395
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Were you talking to a sales guy that works the counter or were you talking to an actual Rep for a Mfg? Cause those guys probably do ok. Certainly better than counter help.
__________________
"Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

Fighter Pilot
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-15-2018, 7:52 PM
GW's Avatar
GW GW is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: The Evergreen State
Posts: 15,086
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Stress dude.
6 figures and there are times that I envy the guy in the plumbing department at Home Depot.
He doesn't have to worry that a bad decision might result in someone's death, and he doesn't have to worry about an underling sabotaging him.
Clearly you never worked at Home Depot. It's a jungle.
A jungle I say!
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-15-2018, 8:51 PM
Cokebottle's Avatar
Cokebottle Cokebottle is offline
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: IE, CA
Posts: 32,124
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
Clearly you never worked at Home Depot. It's a jungle.
A jungle I say!
Haha!
A guy that I worked with in the signal shop used to work the store in HB.
Primary job was safety training and loss prevention. He still hangs with the crew and they all get into his Superbowl pool (which is like $20/square), goes shooting with them too.
__________________
- Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-16-2018, 8:01 AM
SG29736 SG29736 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 322
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

So if it's so difficult to make a living running a gun store how can an owner let employees scarf up all the good deals from widows, etc. for pennies on the dollar when the owner could be making hundreds of dollars on the same guns. I could see letting employees get an occasional deal but not just dibs on everything. Same with offering employes guns at cost. How many outfits can afford to let employees buy guns at cost for their friends and family members and stay in business. Plus you get the same young guys claiming to have all these guns, just like they tell you they were in the military, have 5 years construction experience, 5 years auto mechanic, 5 years doing high level security and they're 20 years old.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-16-2018, 8:22 AM
John Browning's Avatar
John Browning John Browning is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Contra Costa County
Posts: 7,213
iTrader: 74 / 100%
Default

I bought my Nighthawk when I was in my early 20s a decade and a half ago or so. I bought an M1 Carbine or Garand a month just because I could. I also was only making probably 40k a year for those couple years I lived at home.

When you are living at home and you have no other bills, it's amazing what you can afford. Even buying every gun I really wanted (minimum 2 a month), I could easily stash $2000 a month in cash to get my own place. When it came time to buy a house, the M1 Carbines mostly all got sold along with probably 20k worth of guns. Now I can't afford nearly the same spending because I have a house, a wife, kids and all that other adult stuff despite the fact that my income has nearly tripled.

I've long learned that everybody has a story and you can't guess what it is. My dad wonders around his home town in sweatpants that have fake jean print and pajama tops with hiking boots. I was with him once when he went to go buy a Porsche 15 years or so ago dressed not much more fancy than that. He was largely ignored by the salesmen. You should have seen the look on the sales dudes face (and mine, too) when he pulled out an envelope with $50,000 in cash and asked to pay the balance by check.

Maybe this kid has a rich family. Maybe he bought Amazon stock when he was two. Maybe he is lying. Who knows.
__________________
For Sale: SA M1 Garand $900, Mega Maten .308 AR $1500

For Sale: USFA SAA, S&W Model 27, Walther PPS M2, HK VP9 Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 11-16-2018, 8:29 AM
Whites of Their Eyes's Avatar
Whites of Their Eyes Whites of Their Eyes is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Salida, CA
Posts: 178
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

A lot of gun manufacturers will gift and/or dramatically reduce their price to gun store employees who sell a lot of their guns.

However, as you likely know, he was probably blowing lots of smoke that day!
__________________


Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 11-16-2018, 9:52 AM
oddjob oddjob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lodi, California
Posts: 2,122
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Depending on the local jurisdiction many ordinances require a pawn broker's license to sell consignment guns. The shop I worked at didn't have one so we had to turn them away or.....make a personal offer right then and there. I made a few great deals that way!

I always told the folks what the gun was worth. They would thank me and sell me the gun at a decent price anyways.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 11-16-2018, 7:04 PM
rugershooter rugershooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,796
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

I'm in my late 20s. Had a bad head injury while I was active duty; 100% disability. I work at a gun store part time to feed my gun habit. Starting my own small business. Married, no kids. Currently saving for a 50% down payment on a house. Paid cash for an older but nice truck. Started collecting guns when I was 18, have almost 30 now. It's about priorities and spending habits. Guns are really the only thing I spend money on. If you want it, you'll find a way to pay for it. Age isn't an indicator of financial discipline or lack thereof.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 11-16-2018, 7:31 PM
Dan_Eastvale's Avatar
Dan_Eastvale Dan_Eastvale is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,414
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugershooter View Post
I'm in my late 20s. Had a bad head injury while I was active duty; 100% disability. I work at a gun store part time to feed my gun habit. Starting my own small business. Married, no kids. Currently saving for a 50% down payment on a house. Paid cash for an older but nice truck. Started collecting guns when I was 18, have almost 30 now. It's about priorities and spending habits. Guns are really the only thing I spend money on. If you want it, you'll find a way to pay for it. Age isn't an indicator of financial discipline or lack thereof.
Exactly what I've perceived about lgs employees here in Utah.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 11-16-2018, 8:11 PM
stormvet's Avatar
stormvet stormvet is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,094
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Lots of money to be made from all the legal advice they provide to the patrons

Nothing against gun store employees, I appreciate you guys, but please for the love of God please stop telling people about what your cousin heard at a poker game about CA laws.
Are you sure your not talking about Calguns.
__________________
Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 11-16-2018, 9:07 PM
cockedandglocked's Avatar
cockedandglocked cockedandglocked is offline
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Near Excremento
Posts: 15,099
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
Are you sure your not talking about Calguns.
No, I'm not sure... But good legal advice can be had here, if you know where to look. Of course, lots of bad advice too, if you look in the wrong places. There are most definitely some threads here that have kept a ton of people out of jail.
But LGS's are notoriously bad at giving only incorrect legal advice, and rarely accurate advice. Sometimes it's relatively harmless, such as saying something is illegal to do when it really isn't. But unfortunately it's often the opposite. And it's a total crap shoot as to which type of incorrect advice you'll get, but generally, if an LGS says something is legal, assume it isn't until you can verify. And vice versa. Most times after you verify, you'll discover they were talking out of their exit holes.
Sorry if I sound bitter... I've had to spend countless hours undoing the bad advice that people I know have told me they "learned" at gun stores, and it's exhausting.
"Make sure all of your AR's are in exactly the configuration you want them to be in forever before you register them as AW's, because after they're registered you won't be able to change anything," is one of my personal favorites. I can't even begin to tell you how many people I've had to explain to how that's total crap.
__________________
2019 CA Legislation Quick-Reference & Statuses

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime:



Last edited by cockedandglocked; 11-16-2018 at 9:14 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 11-16-2018, 9:16 PM
xxINKxx's Avatar
xxINKxx xxINKxx is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 4,297
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AN40 View Post
How much of a discount can they really be getting. Firearms are not high margin goods.
I was at Ades picking up something when a guy with 2 lightly used glocks in the boxes wanted to see if the owner would just outright buy them. I guess he really needed the cash. He wanted pretty much what they selling for new from a gun store and she said she pays about $200 for glocks from her suppliers at her dealer price, and warned him turners would offer him even less then her if they even wanted them because they sell so many glocks they buy in bulk and get even better pricing then her.

I mean, even if they make over double the price on a sale, the cost of running a business is so high after every department of the state and government takes their share you end up not making that much.
__________________
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by xxINKxx; 11-16-2018 at 9:20 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 11-16-2018, 9:50 PM
audiophil2 audiophil2 is offline
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Surprise
Posts: 7,024
iTrader: 224 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxINKxx View Post
I was at Ades picking up something when a guy with 2 lightly used glocks in the boxes wanted to see if the owner would just outright buy them. I guess he really needed the cash. He wanted pretty much what they selling for new from a gun store and she said she pays about $200 for glocks from her suppliers at her dealer price, and warned him turners would offer him even less then her if they even wanted them because they sell so many glocks they buy in bulk and get even better pricing then her.

I mean, even if they make over double the price on a sale, the cost of running a business is so high after every department of the state and government takes their share you end up not making that much.
Did you actually believe her?
__________________

01FFL/03SOT AND 07FFL/02SOT
PHOENIX, AZ MIDDLEMAN TRANSFER DEALER SINCE 2010
10 round magazine conversion service
CA compliance service
Machine gun/suppressor rentals
Private 10 acre range rentals
Storage for your CA firearms/CA prohibited firearm purchases.

MY CALGUNS COMMERCIAL SALES SUBFORUM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=376
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 11-17-2018, 10:33 AM
xxINKxx's Avatar
xxINKxx xxINKxx is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 4,297
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophil2 View Post
Did you actually believe her?
No idea, I dont have anything to do with gun stores or know what wholesale suppliers sell to dealers..... I was just listening to the owners convo as I was picking up my PPT saying she cant give him what he wants and she was trying to help him out since he was looking for only a gun store to buy them that day cash. She told him to hit up calguns and post them online, but he was in a rush to sell them
__________________
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:36 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.