Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2018, 7:28 PM

Default Moving (probably) to Utah -- what to do with my stuff

Hi All,

I'm considering taking a job in Utah. I have a couple of questions that I'm sure you all can help with.

1. The only Utah law question: All my firearms are CA legal. Is there any sort of BS registration process that I need to do when I get to Utah like you need to do when you move to California? Is there some weird situation where a gun that is legal in CA is illegal in Utah?

2. Can I legally sell my stockpile of ammo? It's real heavy and I'd rather not move what I can easily buy when I get there. I thought there was something about 500 rounds or less being OK to sell, but I may have dreamt that.

3. There is a not insignificant chance I will need to return to California someday. I have 3 successfully registered RAW's. From other threads I have read, I guess I need to keep the raddlock bullet buttons that I have on the rifles that I submitted reg photos for, in case I return, but I can sell/change/destroy/misplace all the other parts and I could still bring these rifles back to CA. Does this sound right?

4. I assume selling my reloading supplies in CA is no problem. Correct?

5. Fun bonus question. If you had an AR pistol you converted to fixed mag, would you sell it or keep it?

Thanks everyone for the advice!
Old 07-13-2018, 7:31 PM

Utah is pretty much free, registration doesn’t exist over there the way it does here. I’d sell the pistol here and buy a better one over there. Heck you can get an SBR with a suppressor over there. Here we just have the measly pistols that are barely legal.
Old 07-13-2018, 7:32 PM

Sell your off roster pistols so they can stay in CA.
Old 07-13-2018, 7:43 PM

Imho sell it all. Firearms mags ammo id sell it all.
Who uses 10 round mags but us? Yeah... Exactly. Any firearm you own was overpaid, and will not be worth much in free states. Jmho Ymmv.

I would save my reload stuff. I actually enjoy reloading.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2018, 8:34 PM

UTAH has the worse gun laws ever!

They consider California Guns and ammo to be contraband and maybe even infected.

They are greedy and tell you only guns and ammo bought and registered in Utah is legal.

So if you are in a pinch and need to sell fast at a heavily and deeply discounted price all of your CA firearms and ammo I will step up to the plate and help you out in your dire hour of need and buy at the heavily discounted price....even though it will put a huge burden upon my wallet and even more so my poor safe that is overflowing and complaining like crazy!

Let me know and I will stop by the ATM and pay you that $150 for you illegal in Utah M4 carbine and 7 cents a round 5.56mm that is also illegal in Utah.

You do want to start out being legal in Utah, now don't you? then let me help you out.....!!
Old 07-13-2018, 11:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Not familiar with UT laws, but they are one of the most conservative and 2A supporting states.

I may have answers/suggestions for one of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eigenstate View Post

3. There is a not insignificant chance I will need to return to California someday. I have 3 successfully registered RAW's. From other threads I have read, I guess I need to keep the raddlock bullet buttons that I have on the rifles that I submitted reg photos for, in case I return, but I can sell/change/destroy/misplace all the other parts and I could still bring these rifles back to CA. Does this sound right?
I'd keep at least the serialized part on the BBRAWs. Those registered AWs will be worth to you their weight in gold if you ever have to return.

You certainly can remove the Raddlock while in UT as no one cares if it is there or not. Just be sure to put it back on if you need to bring them into CA. Don't lose the parts as I suspect a few years down the line, they will no longer be available (we're referring to pre-2017 version BB) as demand plummets.

You can even properly SBR those BBRAWs while in UT. If you ever return to CA, you'd need a 16+" barrel anyway, so it can cross state lines without notifying the ATF.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

It's sad times we live in when you need to ask permission to take your property to another state. Get out of CA while you can, OP. Don't look back and don't return. Sell all your stuff on this forum so your guns can remain in california with Calgunners. When in Utah - just buy all you need back. No gun roster there.
Old 07-14-2018, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eigenstate View Post
Hi All,

I'm considering taking a job in Utah. I have a couple of questions that I'm sure you all can help with.

1. The only Utah law question: All my firearms are CA legal. Is there any sort of BS registration process that I need to do when I get to Utah like you need to do when you move to California? Is there some weird situation where a gun that is legal in CA is illegal in Utah?

2. Can I legally sell my stockpile of ammo? It's real heavy and I'd rather not move what I can easily buy when I get there. I thought there was something about 500 rounds or less being OK to sell, but I may have dreamt that.

4. I assume selling my reloading supplies in CA is no problem. Correct?

5. Fun bonus question. If you had an AR pistol you converted to fixed mag, would you sell it or keep it?

Thanks everyone for the advice!
Sell the ar pistol. It's probably worth less than five hundred bucks in Utah but a couple grand here if you have dros paperwork for it being a pistol
Old 07-14-2018, 7:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
Sell the ar pistol. It's probably worth less than five hundred bucks in Utah but a couple grand here if you have dros paperwork for it being a pistol
But what if later these are later grandfathered in, like pre-2000 30 rd magazines and pre-2017 BBAW? Assuming OP keeps up with CA laws while living in UT and can do the necessary registration from there.

I'd also recommend getting a CA ID card, the non Real ID kind, before leaving the state, if there's a chance of ever returning.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 07-14-2018, 7:58 AM

Here are Utah's actual gun laws from their website. Might be a better source than what unknown people think they know about the laws in Utah:

https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title76/Ch.../76-10-P5.html

https://bci.utah.gov/concealed-firea...ked-questions/

https://bci.utah.gov/
Old 07-14-2018, 9:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Do sell off all your pot before going to Utah.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Do sell off all your pot before going to Utah.
HA. Don't have any of that at the moment.

Thanks all for the advice. I only have an off roster AR pistol and a Kahr p380 without the LCI. If I move I am going to keep the Kahr, as it is luckily a reliable one, and I'd probably carry it occasionally once I get there and get a CCW.

The most urgent issue is dealing with my ammo stockpile. Although if I do go my wife will be saying behind for a few months, and she will need some ammo to shoot, but will also be here to sell off the remainder. Do the private ammo sales that I see in the forums need to be below some limit with the prop 63 thing? I see people selling 840 round .223 cans, so I assume not?
Old 07-17-2018, 12:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Same boat here except Idaho instead of Utah. I'm going to sell my two M&Ps which I haven't shot for two years and my two Elemental arms lowers. I'm stuck with a virtual ton of ammo purchased just before the new ammo regs. 22lr my wife uses for competition and we can use 9mm factory ammo for running through our HD/SD guns, but all the shotgun ammo we bought when we were using 20g shotguns for HD I'll probably leave on the local PD steps. I have a bunch of 45ACP, but we sold my wife's DW; I don't know if I'll ever shoot my Rock Island 1911; maybe I can turn the 45 ammo into jewelry?

Anyway, it's a high class problem and I feel for those stuck in this hell hole of a state. Weather is great, but living under the thumb of the progressives and watching the state go down the tubes.
Old 07-17-2018, 1:50 PM

^^ If you are indeed planning on selling, PM me your asking price on those M&Ps and which model they are. Also the RIA if you plan on unloading that too.
Old 07-17-2018, 2:15 PM

Is your AR pistol semi-automatic or a registered assault weapon? You can't sell registered assault weapons in California. If it's not registered, I don't think you can sell it anymore since the new 2016 set of laws, the bullet button is no longer a legal fixed magazine and your gun would be currently illegal under CA law anyway
If you are not familiar with the below sites, I encourage you to check them out and use them for cash back and great deals on ammo from Cabela's and such. Check the deals forum here on calguns and you will see a lot of us using these now. If you are kind enough to sign up through my below referral links, we both get instant bonus rewards. Thanks!

http://activejunky.com/invite/186564
http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=32948177