Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-01-2018, 3:28 PM

Default Reloading for the AR15

I have been reloading for almost 40 years. But, this is my first time for a semi-auto rifle.

How many reloads are you guys getting with your AR?

I know that there are a whole lot of depends...such as, chamber, dies, loads ect.

I have just reloaded some LC brass for the 5th time. The rims are still nice. And I have had to do almost no trimming.

I was just wondering what I can expect.

Take care
Abenaki

Last edited by Abenaki; 07-01-2018 at 3:55 PM.. Reason: wrong brass
Old 07-01-2018, 4:39 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenaki View Post
I have been reloading for almost 40 years. But, this is my first time for a semi-auto rifle.

I know that there are a whole lot of depends...such as, chamber, dies, loads ect.

I have just reloaded some LC brass for the 5th time. The rims are still nice. And I have had to do almost no trimming.

Take care
Abenaki

Ive lost more brass then i've had to scrap. But I don't shoot my AR nearly as much as i use to. I never paid any attention to brass life on them, and I've only had to trim them once a very long time ago. So I'd reason to say with my load being on the lighter side 2800 FPS out of a 20" barrel back in the day when i had a different rifle. IDK I've never had a case split or neck get to thin on a .223. and that is using picked up brass, I just load it and reuse it don't pay attention to it very much.

Now my match ammo for my match rifles I can give you full pedigree on that brass and the barrel use and life. so i do take care on my loads just not the .223

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Old 07-01-2018, 7:56 PM

Thanks

Take care
Abenaki
Old 07-02-2018, 1:57 PM

There were a few posts that took this question on over the years and forums.

As I recall, there was a wide distribution of split necks but the majority of the batches went something like 14 to 15 cycles before the failure rates started to become significant. Some necks split very early on, but those were less common than the lost cases.

ARFCOM had one long running post, and I think it was archived so it can be searched. Another ARFCOM post compared annealing versus occasional annealing, versus no annealing. I hate going from memory, but I think the outcome was just as good for occasional annealing as it was for annealing every cycle. Eventually the case heads expanded and primer pockets were the failure.
Old 07-10-2018, 2:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenaki View Post

Take care
Abenaki
5th time is near when I'd probably not pick it up...

One of the big tells is if you see a thin shiny horizontal ring around the case somewhere. It is a thin spot in the brass from being stretched as a side effect of resizing. It means it could separate there.
Old 07-10-2018, 4:27 AM
Calguns Addict

I have reloaded some brass over 16+ times when I started, maybe 20 times on others.

Some older ones have looser primer pockets, but could be because of reaming the crimp before I got a swagger. I really don't have issues with any of them, granted I only shoot to 100yd, and only with iron sights on a 20' H-BAR A2.

I've never had a case-head separation, but have a broken case extractor tool just in case.
Old 07-10-2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0re10 View Post
5th time is near when I'd probably not pick it up...

One of the big tells is if you see a thin shiny horizontal ring around the case somewhere. It is a thin spot in the brass from being stretched as a side effect of resizing. It means it could separate there.
I am well aware of a case separation. And check for it. I am lucky that my chamber and dies are a real close match. The need to trim is almost nil.

But, I do thank you for your post.

Take care
Abenaki
Old 07-10-2018, 10:45 PM

4-5 loadings if you run it up near max in a sloppy NATO chamber rifle with an oversized gas port, using cheap Korean (PMC) or Chinese brass (Norinco).

Probably more if you load light and use good quality brass. I donít know, I use cheap brass and run it hard. like KC said about brass loss, I agree. I only have high end brass Prvi/Norma for my bolt guns.
Old 07-11-2018, 2:57 AM
Calguns Addict

My basic rule is toss 'em when they need the second trim.