Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2018, 10:01 AM

For those who received a number for an AK homebuild, did it have to be hand engraved? Where on the firearm and how large? Thanksml.
Old 06-25-2018, 1:27 PM

Did anyone have to confirm what the serials are for (milled/stamped receiver)?

Received an email acknowledging receipt of my application. The email also mentions "Can you please confirm that the serial numbers you are requesting are for bullet button assault weapons milled from 80% lower receivers, pursuant to AB 1135 and SB 880?"

Is it absolutely necessary to confirm? My understanding is that all the info on the bof 1008 application should be sufficient. Anyone else encounter this?
Old 06-25-2018, 5:01 PM

I got the same email. They just want to know if the serials are for BBAW's or for CA compliant rifles. I replied "yes" and got my serials a few days later.

They don't care if the receivers are milled or stamped or forged. When they say "milled", they mean you "finished" the 80% to 100%.

Last edited by bblr; 06-25-2018 at 5:05 PM..
Old 06-25-2018, 6:50 PM

Is it possible to glue a plate of metal to the receiver , where the metal plate has the serial number of it, instead of actually carving into the receiver ?
Old 06-25-2018, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
Is it possible to glue a plate of metal to the receiver , where the metal plate has the serial number of it, instead of actually carving into the receiver ?
B) If the firearm is manufactured or assembled from polymer plastic, 3.7 ounces of material type 17-4 PH stainless steel shall be embedded within the plastic upon fabrication or construction with the unique serial number engraved or otherwise permanently affixed in a manner that meets or exceeds the requirements imposed on licensed importers and licensed manufacturers of firearms pursuant to subsection (i) of Section 923 of Title 18 of the United States Code and regulations issued pursuant thereto.
Old 06-26-2018, 1:46 PM

You left out something very important; "(b) Commencing July 1, 2018, prior to manufacturing or assembling a firearm, a person manufacturing or assembling the firearm shall do all of the following:..."

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.
Old 06-27-2018, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh429 View Post
Thank you this thread is very helpful. I received zero response e-mailing the general DOJ e-mail regarding 80% serial numbers.

Anyone know of an engraver in Orange County?
Rifle Supply in Huntington Beach, CA will engrave 80% or completed rifles.
But, you have to wait while they engrave.
Old 06-27-2018, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLapua View Post
If anyone is still interested,

I submitted BOF 1008 for all 9 of my 80% AR Pistols on Saturday 5/26/18. The sent me an email to confirm that they were all 80ís to be registered as assault weapons on Tuesday the 29th and I received all 9 serials by email today on 5/30. Thatís a 4 day turn around and Mon was Memorial Day.
Pretty impressed!
Too bad we have to actually do all this anyways!

And yes I have 9 ar pistol, why? Because I can!
And I know I waited till the last minute, but the plan was to leave this god forsaken state, well the universe has other plans in mind for me!

So, if I have an 80% that was finished a long time ago, even before coming to Commifornia, can I just take it to an engraver and pick any random SN? How do I know it's unique? Or, do I have to send an email and request a CA DOJ issued SN? I don't want to have to re-engrave another SN later, in addition to the one I just made up and scribbled on my lower receiver?

Thanks!!
Old 06-27-2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrunner View Post
So, if I have an 80% that was finished a long time ago, even before coming to Commifornia, can I just take it to an engraver and pick any random SN? How do I know it's unique? Or, do I have to send an email and request a CA DOJ issued SN? I don't want to have to re-engrave another SN later, in addition to the one I just made up and scribbled on my lower receiver?

Thanks!!

I believe you have to email in the form and request a serial number. Depending on wether you want to register it as an AW or comply to the new laws will determine what form you send in. I also think either way it needs to have a serial and be registered by the end of this month.

Someone correct me if I am wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2018, 3:28 PM

Default Someone translate this, please.

My interpretation, which is of course meaningless, finds that because I bought an 80% lower (stamped by the manufacturer (an FFL) with my own S/N, name, caliber and City, state) and made it a 100% lower prior to 01 July 2018, to build a featureless AR, that I am now in compliance (verbatim) with the following pulled directly from the CFARS USNA page:

"A firearm containing a serial number pursuant to Chapter 53 of Title 26 of the United States Code and regulations issued pursuant thereto. Hence, if the individual's firearm already has a serial number issued to it by a Federal Firearms Licensee - whether it is a functionally complete firearm or only a receiver or frame by itself, it is not a self-manufactured or self-assembled firearm; thus, the individual does not have to reapply for a Department-issued unique serial number."

IANAL but I believe both the US and CA Constitutions have been violated...again.