Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:39 PM

Lightbulb RCBS Rock Chucker case ejector/LED light upgrades/Caldwell Wind Meter Vane

Thought you might like to see my Red Mist Maker reloading bench upgrades..
Case ejector and bin chute upgrade I made for my RCBS Rock Chucker II press. (note the original style straight handle, YES, I have been hand loading for a long time)

I had been wanting to add one of these for a long while ever since I sold my original RCBS case ejector years ago.
I de-prime all of my cases with a universal die first so I have to use the primer catcher for that operation, but after I wet tumble them in SS media to get them clean and after drying, I then re-size them. By being free of grime and nicks and dings, I don't put as much wear on my dies, and since the primer is already removed I can really fly through the resizing step now. It also allows me to go very quickly through a separate crimp stage as well

I made the case chute so it will fit all 3 sizes of my bins. Super easy to set up. ONE pin holds the ejector mechanism, and the chute fits over the lip of the bins and locks onto the bin mount rail.
I spent the past three days R&D both set ups and making the final refinements and adjustments to the ejector so it would be as easy as it could for set up and removal.

Before I get the many posts of "you know they sell a Case kicker and or a "insert brand here", I know they do, BUT I like to make my own custom accessories and these were made with materials on hand so there was ZERO expense except for time. Besides, I need to keep the tools busy.

Enjoy the pictures.
CLICK FOR LARGER IMAGE

7-30-18 REFINEMENTS TO EJECTOR ARM cost $1.15
I have modified the ejector arm with a coil return spring and a plastic friction rub where the press ram makes contact with it to make for a more smooth swing of the arm.

Last edited by Red Mist Maker; 07-31-2018 at 5:02 PM..
Old 07-11-2018, 12:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Cool

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
OP you are an uninformed tool.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 07-11-2018, 5:12 AM

Is that an LED light on your press? Where did your get it?

Oh yeah, your workbench is too neat.
Old 07-11-2018, 5:59 AM

Fine craftsmanship, well done!
Old 07-11-2018, 6:25 AM
Probationary Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I need to tinker more. Great work, thanks for sharing!
Old 07-11-2018, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpo Joe View Post
Is that an LED light on your press? Where did your get it?

Oh yeah, your workbench is too neat.
First off, THANK YOU for the compliment.
Yes, there is LED lights on Press(s) Powder hoppers and back lighting on bench.
I custom make the lighting myself for the individual application I need.
ALL of the presses and Uniflow powder hopper lighting work off of a single 110AC/12vDC power converter and utilizes a 3 way split harness with individual switches for each press and the stand alone Uniflow. The Uniflow on top of the Ammo Master works in conjunction with the press lighting.
The Ammo Master was the biggest challenge to get lights onto.
It really makes it a lot easier to see what's going on and monitor the operation.
Click pictures for larger image

Old 07-11-2018, 3:23 PM

Nice setup . Mine is in garage - need more room .
One side of loadmaster is knife / drill sharpener , key machine , vibrator and tumbler other side is drill press , grinder , vice and sonic . Shelves behind hold turrets , dies books on reloading cars keys , machinist info , electrical and lugs .
My presses are a loadmaster ' O ' frame , another single stage Lee - all have the quick change Lee plates . They are put in vise when needed .
I have nephws and nieces that reload here .
I have ben retired since 2002 , so garage is kind of set up for me .
Old 07-13-2018, 1:55 AM

The one bad thing about Garage set up's (I'm not bashing anyone who by necessity has to have their set up in one) is that unless said garage, is insulated and weather proof via controlled climate, IE Heat and Air conditioning, that it makes for cold in the winter and hot in the summer. It also makes storing your Powder and Primers subject to same and their for effect your Handload performance based moisture and humidity due to powder deterioration.
Over the years when buying powder someone has stored in a shed, garage, or outer wash room, I have found the powders to deteriorate faster than ones stored in a climate controlled one. If you've ever opened on old can of powder and seen "red rust looking dust" and a real acidy irritating smell that is the deterioration taking place.

Last edited by Red Mist Maker; 07-13-2018 at 9:18 AM..
Old 07-13-2018, 1:21 PM

Only once - rotten egg smell . Was given it .
I store powder in a little wine refer and another is for primers . both have keyed
alike locks
I am in bay area and about 80 % of time reloading is done in evening - After
work - if garage is warm - we eat 1st . If cold someone will park a warm car in
garage while we eat .
This year is a little hotter , last year was wetter .
I am in Union City and temps don't vary much .
I deprime and prime ahead of time and at the point where we have at least 300
cleaned and primed M T cases .
Last night we did a couple hundred 380 , nephews going hiking , but they only did
6 magazines - women are not going , so no plinking .
Now a days powder is not around long enough to go bad . 6 nephews 2 nieces ,
me and wife .
I got to the point where the shooting vests have name tags held on by velcro .
[ I have both summer and winter vests from when I hunted and once in a while
father's day , Xmas , birthday I get a new one ] Most of time it is a powder or
primers that everyone use .
Old 07-14-2018, 7:00 PM

Very nice. As a machinist, I am impressed!
Old 07-16-2018, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargodude View Post
Very nice. As a machinist, I am impressed!
Thank you
Old 07-17-2018, 8:03 AM

I am impressed to the 15th magnitude...outstanding...now when can you stop by?
Old 07-17-2018, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inyocountymark View Post
I am impressed to the 15th magnitude...outstanding...now when can you stop by?
Fellow shooter, I'm very humbled by your nice compliments. I enjoy sharing my "Make it yourself" ideas with the rest of you so you might also take some of them and improve upon them and come up with even something better.
NEXT ITEM.....
Old 07-17-2018, 9:12 AM

Default Wind Vane for Caldwell Crosswind

Latest off the bench....
I recently purchased a Caldwell Cross Wind meter for shooting at my local monthly competition. I searched around and liked the Kestrel brand meters and their reputation, BUT the newer Caldwell Cross Wind had just about the same features as the Kestrel, and decent reviews so I took the chance and saved just a little under half the cost.
After using it twice in competition, It has worked out great. The ability to adjust the vane into the wind and still see the screen was great, something the Kestrel doesn't do.
They however sell a direction Vane that their unit attaches to so it yaws into the wind for better readings, BUT when it does it also turns the unit and sometimes you cant read the screen, something the reviews of the Kestrel vane noted.
Fast forward, I liked the idea of the direction vane and thought if I could make one to use with the Caldwell with it's movable vane head you could use it to find wind direction and then turn the head for the best readings, AND still see the screen.
After looking at MANY types of direction vanes and wanting something that was easy to transport and pack to the range, this is what I came up with....
Click for larger image

It attaches to the 1/4-20NC stud on my Redfield bench top tripod that comes with their 20-60X80mm Revenge spotting scope, something I already had and is stored with the Spotter, and I use a different tripod for it anyway.
The only last final changes to be made it to replace the Pan head on the Redfield Bench top tripod with a "Ball Head" so I can level it in all directions and a small round "Bombsight" type bubble level to indicate when it is.
Like the Kestrel, I made mine to also break down and be stored in a pouch for transport, The pouch is next.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Put a prop and an alternator on a larger one and have it charge a battery bank?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Put a prop and an alternator on a larger one and have it charge a battery bank?
You bet!, A persons mind is their only limitation, If you can imagine it, you can make it.
This is something my late Uncle taught me, who I considered to be a man of endless talent for making stuff from nothing out of necessity.
Rest In Peace Uncle Lee, your legacy lives on!
Old 07-21-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mist Maker View Post
Latest off the bench....
I recently purchased a Caldwell Cross Wind meter for shooting at my local monthly competition. I searched around and liked the Kestrel brand meters and their reputation, BUT the newer Caldwell Cross Wind had just about the same features as the Kestrel, and decent reviews so I took the chance and saved just a little under half the cost.
After using it twice in competition, It has worked out great. The ability to adjust the vane into the wind and still see the screen was great, something the Kestrel doesn't do.
They however sell a direction Vane that their unit attaches to so it yaws into the wind for better readings, BUT when it does it also turns the unit and sometimes you cant read the screen, something the reviews of the Kestrel vane noted.
Fast forward, I liked the idea of the direction vane and thought if I could make one to use with the Caldwell with it's movable vane head you could use it to find wind direction and then turn the head for the best readings, AND still see the screen.
After looking at MANY types of direction vanes and wanting something that was easy to transport and pack to the range, this is what I came up with....
Click for larger image

It attaches to the 1/4-20NC stud on my Redfield bench top tripod that comes with their 20-60X80mm Revenge spotting scope, something I already had and is stored with the Spotter, and I use a different tripod for it anyway.
The only last final changes to be made it to replace the Pan head on the Redfield Bench top tripod with a "Ball Head" so I can level it in all directions and a small round "Bombsight" type bubble level to indicate when it is.
Like the Kestrel, I made mine to also break down and be stored in a pouch for transport, The pouch is next.

I took a balsa wood airplane, the real cheap five & dime store type with a propeller, (minus the rubber band) did a "swag" for c/g, drilled a 1/16" hole and use a finish nail through the main frame and pressed into the cap on a 2 litre soda bottle weighted down with sand, it worked for winds up to +/- approx 5 mph, then a big gust of wind blew the thing apart....quite the fun for awhile, I also use marker flags like found on utility locates, only I tie surveyors tape on in place of the little flag so I can see down at the 500 600 yard targets
Old 07-30-2018, 1:06 PM

Refinements to the case ejector